Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Either I haven't figured out the right camera options, or else the camera is really buggy

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Before picking up the game, I asked if it was polished or still a buggy mess.  People said that it was highly polished, and for the most part, that's true.  The camera views, on the other hand, sure look like a buggy mess to me. I'm willing to entertain the possibility that I've merely botched the settings, though I have gone through camera settings very carefully and tweaked anything that seemed promising.  Perhaps someone here can explain if I'm doing something wrong.

Problem 1, and by far the biggest:  the camera has a rather nasty tendency to spin up into the air so that all that I can see is the sky or ceiling or whatever.  Such a camera view is obviously useless for most purposes, and I've never seen another game do this.

The times it does this are not at all random.  Rather, it reliably happens when I run into something much taller than me.  Thus, as a ranged class, it doesn't happen much.  As melee, it happens a lot.  It looks like the camera is trying to adjust upward to look at something above me.  That might be kind of understandable if it only spun up into the air briefly and then came back down once I got a little distance between me and the mob.  The problem is that the camera doesn't do that; it spins up into the air and stays there, even after I run away or the mob dies or whatever.  It never automatically spins back to show me the ground--and a good view of what is going on.

This is especially troublesome because I use a gamepad.  A gamepad has far fewer buttons than a keyboard has keys, of course, which means that I can't have dedicated buttons for everything.  All of the buttons and many combinations of buttons are already assigned to one thing or another, and I have to ration and prioritize what I need easy access to.  I haven't set any combination of buttons to fix the camera, and would hope that I wouldn't need to.  But that means that when the camera decides to go nuts, I have to let go of the gamepad, grab the mouse, and fix it that way.  That's a major nuisance.

Is there any way to tell the game, don't rotate the camera vertically unless I do so manually?  If so, that would fix the problem.

Problem 2:  scrolling the mouse wheel to zoom out sometimes zooms in dramatically.  It's entirely predictable when this will happen.  If a wall blocks the camera, it moves the camera in much closer, of course.  If you try to zoom out while the camera is forced closer to you, the game decides that you want the permanent distance of the camera to be whatever the wall distance is.  Move away from the wall and the camera stays close in.

I'm not sure why someone at Square-Enix decided to make the controls for zooming out lock the zoom distance much closer to you than it had previously been.  That doesn't seem like the sort of thing that someone would do intentionally, so it's probably a glitch.  But I haven't found a way around it.  Because logging out resets your zoom distance, I have to reset it every time I log in, and sometimes it's a bit of a pain to get away from walls before I can zoom back out and have it take.

Problem 3:  I was playing just now and the game decided to lock me into a first-person viewpoint.  As you probably know, a first-person viewpoint is a big disadvantage in most games where it is optional, and FFXIV is not an exception to that.  Fortunately, I was only mining, and was stealthed, so it didn't get me killed.  But moving the camera around didn't fix it, nor did trying to zoom out--or, for that matter, to zoom in.  Moving to a different zone didn't fix it, either.  Logging out and back in did fix it.

Admittedly, I haven't put that much work into addressing problem 3, as I've only seen it happen once, and decided to tack it on while I was creating a thread about the camera anyway.  But if it happened in a dungeon run, it could be big trouble:  imagine trying to tank without being able to see the mobs.  Does anyone know how to get out of first-person mode if the game locks you into it?  Or better yet, how to disable it so that the game doesn't lock you into it in the first place?

Comments

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

I don't have any issues with the camera other than during locked room fights which for some reason the camera suddenly acts like that invisible wall that just appeared is a real wall.

But, whenever people say they have camera issues everyone says try the legacy camera setting.  Not sure what it does or if I have it on but it's what people suggest :P.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Are you PC or PS3?

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322
    I am not going to give my thoughts on the game itself but I didn't change any settings it was the most beatifull game I have ever played and I only have a gtx 550 graffix card.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I am not an expert on any of the settings because i was trying to  set it up so i am always facing the creatures even when i move and couldn't figure that out.

The camera in the sky thing was something happened to me in ffxi in window mode or trying to mouse look which really was not viable but i got used to it and later had no problem.I would say for ffxiv you must be using a controller to which i don't like at all.I have absolutely no trouble with the camera at all using mouse/keyboard other than can't figure  out how to get an auto behind look which most likely is not possible.

The console controls to me are so mind numbing ,no way would i even give my self the headache to figure them out in as way that i can play with ease because on key/mouse i can play with ease.

If your using a controller,all i can say is it will take you some time to fiddle with the settings and i can't be bothered,i gave up controllers a long time ago.

Now in saying that,i use  it to fish because i can lay back and just listen for the bending of the rod sound and only need to click 2 buttons,so it is super easy,no need to sit at my desk.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Quizzical.

Problem 1, and by far the biggest:  the camera has a rather nasty tendency to spin up into the air so that all that I can see is the sky or ceiling or whatever.  

I use a gamepad.  

I already had this with the original version of FF14 and then with the new one again.

I was using an adapter to use my old PS2 gamepad on pc - got this glitch.

So I bought the official FF14 gamepad on amazon and it worked great for a while before it got the same bug.

When you check out your gamepad settings, you will see that the camera button is now twitching all the times.

Conclusion: FF14 eats gamepads.

I lost 3 before I gave up trying to play this game without a keyboard.

Harbinger of Fools
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    Are you PC or PS3?

PC

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

I noticed this in the patch notes for today's patch 2.16

"Camera positioning when players are near walls has been adjusted."

This might be related to what you are experiencing. We won't now what these adjustments are until they bring the servers back up. Hopefully it is an improvement!