Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The animations thread....

arobiarobi Member UncommonPosts: 124

Folks we need to discuss this. The animations are bad really bad. I haven't seen animations this bad since combat in The Secret World. TSW is probably worse but ESO animations are bad. The way our characters move is clunky everything they do seems clunky, jumping omg don't get me started on jumping that alone almost made me uninstall. Also when I stand on an uneven surface I want my character to look like there adjusting there balance is that so hard in 2014?

For newer mmos gw2 has much better animations then this. IDK why this is such a deal breaker for me but it is which is sad cause after the noob islands it seemed to open and I like to explore another thing that this game seems to do well. I just cant play looking like a stick is up ass all day its that bad and dodging don't get me started.

Im sure there are others out there who don't like the animations as ive read a couple minor gripes with them. What do you all think and is it possible that they will still improve the animations before or reasonably after launch?

Comments

• jidakrajidakra Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by arobi

Folks we need to discuss this. The animations are bad really bad. I haven't seen animations this bad since combat in The Secret World. TSW is probably worse but ESO animations are bad. The way our characters move is clunky everything they do seems clunky, jumping omg don't get me started on jumping that alone almost made me uninstall. Also when I stand on an uneven surface I want my character to look like there adjusting there balance is that so hard in 2014?

For newer mmos gw2 has much better animations then this. IDK why this is such a deal breaker for me but it is which is sad cause after the noob islands it seemed to open and I like to explore another thing that this game seems to do well. I just cant play looking like a stick is up ass all day its that bad and dodging don't get me started.

Im sure there are others out there who don't like the animations as ive read a couple minor gripes with them. What do you all think and is it possible that they will still improve the animations before or reasonably after launch?

Actually, I think they chose to make the animations like this for the sake of PvP. Flowing animations like in GW2 make fastpaced movements like those people make in PvP look extremely awkward and unresponsive. Animations that just abruptly stop and respond instantly to what you are doing look weird when you PvE, but feel better when PvPing.

At least thats what I am "feeling" when I play ESO in comparison to a game with great animations like GW2.

There is no excuse for the way characters run though, that looks just awful.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by jidakra

Actually, I think they chose to make the animations like this for the sake of PvP. Flowing animations like in GW2 make fastpaced movements like those people make in PvP look extremely awkward and unresponsive. Animations that just abruptly stop and respond instantly to what you are doing look weird when you PvE, but feel better when PvPing.

At least thats what I am "feeling" when I play ESO in comparison to a game with great animations like GW2.

You beat me to it, it's for the sake of PvP.  They want to have 100v100v100 battles.  I don't even think my computer could do that on super graphics, and my computer is pretty new and top of the line.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

You almost uninstalled because of the jumping?   I hate to say it but if the animations are that important to you, and you don't these, then maybe this isn't your next game.  

The only problem I saw was drawing a bow takes too long, but that's just me.   No game is perfect .

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Bad in comparison to what mmorpg?
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Running, standing, walking... its all awkward. Even if what you are saying is true then they could atleast work on the basic animations.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by Latronus

You almost uninstalled because of the jumping?   I hate to say it but if the animations are that important to you, and you don't these, then maybe this isn't your next game.  

The only problem I saw was drawing a bow takes too long, but that's just me.   No game is perfect .

The bow can shoot as quickly as you'd like. If you draw it all the way back you'll trigger a power attack. The same as with every other weapon, only that it's somewhat hard to tell when it's in a single, prolonged, motion.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Why would we need to discuss YOUR opinion?

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    That would be a deal breaker for me too. I have to say as I keep a distant eye on this game, I don't think I would even play it if it were f2p, wouldn't even bother downloading at this point.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I'm not sure if you've played Elder Scrolls games before, but they have never had stellar animations. Ever. Even in Skyrim there were quite a few questionable ones. And I really liked that game.

While I don't disagree with you, it really comes down to expectations. If they can find a way to improve the animations without hindering the combat performance, I'm right there w/ you. If not, it's not really something one should expect from an ES game. It still bothers me at times, but I get over it.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Well gameplay will always trump everything else, the animations arnt the greatest, Elder Scrolls never has had good animations imo, and honestly if animation is gonna ruin your game experience your one of those graphics junkies who wont play a damn good game just because of graphic quality and you don't really need to stick around.

The game is great and fun, the animations are a minor thing and quickly no longer noticed after playing for a while. If it bothers you, uninstall, move on, and don't bitch.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83

Once again game developers seem to think that one leads into battle with their face....  Seriously when will this type of thinking die.

For all of ESO issue one thing I was surprised at was there attempt at immersion.  But in my opinion the biggest hurdle to their immersion is their own animations.

For example who in there right mind would swing an axe by full striating their arm at a 45degree angle, then swing horizontally with no elbow give for the impacted, only to then bring their arm THROUGH themselves to place it back its default position.

The animations are terrible worse than WoW and just as bad as TSW except not as limited.

I'm not saying they need to be as fluid as Tera or as robust as Vindictus.  But it should at least been on quality with f2p games like Raiderz and DragonNest.  After all people claim that only low quality games go f2p and if that's true then a p2p game should at least be on quality of the current f2p games out there.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

Most newer mmorpg?

Ok let's be fair, let's compare it with a 5-year-old mmorpg Blade & Soul. Can you see the difference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8g-pgHQ8dM

Let's not talk about "pvp reason". MMOs like Black Desert & Bless are also going to have massive siege war.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

One of the things I love watching is my Jedi Knight doing the master stroke or the assassin twirling and slashing. Sigh I love the fluidity of animations in some games and I really have problems liking a game that lacks in this area. I will get over it if the other parts are very good.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

compareing TOR to ESO for animations is kinda silly in my opinion since everything in TOR is tab target based and fully worked out in advance with how to models will interact with each other to include positioning, it looks pretty yes i admit

but in a game trying to go for a none tab targeting system that kinda thing is hard to impliment for tons of reason lag time being one of the big ones.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Okay lets discuss.  You are the minority.  There are a few people like you all wound up about animations, yes the same few people making posts over and over again, but 99% percent of the people aren't playing this game as an animation simulator, they are fine.  Millions of people will be playing this game and they wont bat an eye at the animations.

But the right ear on the female elf model needs work, I have to go now,  there's posts that need to be created on this topic.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Squeak69

but in a game trying to go for a none tab targeting system that kinda thing is hard to impliment for tons of reason lag time being one of the big ones.

Tera...?

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Squeak69

Tera...?

tera dose not have fluid combat animations the you and the enimies have seperate animations that are activated based on actions chossen, they are pretty but they have no more collision then ESO

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by inemosz

Most newer mmorpg?

Ok let's be fair, let's compare it with a 5-year-old mmorpg Blade & Soul. Can you see the difference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8g-pgHQ8dM

Let's not talk about "pvp reason". MMOs like Black Desert & Bless are also going to have massive siege war.

Lol. I didn't even have to click to know that I was about to see some over-the-top Asian-style animation complete with oversized monsters that get thrown into the air as a result of a blow and crazy special effects.

Some of us actually hate that shit, man.

As to Black Desert and Bless...yeah, great looking models and all but we're a long way before them showing us that they can in fact have the large battles they claim to be able to have with their high poly count models.... we shall see.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Almost all other mainstream ones released past 2004 except maybe LOTRO, Warhammer and Rift which also have awful animations?

Which western-style non-cartoony mainstream MMOs other than LOTRO, RIFT and Warhammer are we talking about here?

I'm not saying that ESO animations are perfect, they're not, but I for one hate the over-the-top eastern-style animations and FX that are part of Tera, FF, GW2, etc.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Jumping is my only gripe about animations so far. Everything else I either haven't noticed, or can ignore, but jumping in this game is so bad. I feel like my character is jumping on the moon, but then hits a ceiling before reaching the logical apex, and just kind of floats there for half a second before gravity asserts itself again.

To say that you'd be likely to uninstall a game over an animation, though, is... kind of silly.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

The big animation issue is that ESO is not using motion capture on their model animations. I made a post on this a few months ago when the first gameplay videos were released:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/401345/page/1

Skyrim was the first Elder Scrolls game to incorporate motion capture, and as a result it looked fantastic alongside all the other great graphical improvements. Now we have Zenimax going backwards in technology and dropping the motion capture element that is a standard for today's games.

Star Wars Galaxies used motion capture back in 2003, and as a result the animations are far superior to ESO, despite SWG being over 10 years behind in graphic technology.  If you look at the motion capture for Age of Conan from over 5 years ago, it also has superior animation. If you even want to go back to the cancelled development of Ultima Online 2, you can see the motion capture technology they were using in 1999 in this gameplay video, and it is also far, far superior to ESO:

ESO initially looked to me like a quick project whipped together to make an early release for the next-gen Consoles as a cash grab. I wasn't sure if this was really the case until getting into beta, at which point my experience confirmed that ESO had cut corners wherever it could to make it to the finish line in time. Character animations were one of the many cuts, unfortunately.

Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Almost all other mainstream ones released past 2004 except maybe LOTRO, Warhammer and Rift which also have awful animations?

Which western-style non-cartoony mainstream MMOs other than LOTRO, RIFT and Warhammer are we talking about here?

I'm not saying that ESO animations are perfect, they're not, but I for one hate the over-the-top eastern-style animations and FX that are part of Tera, FF, GW2, etc.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Its allways a trade off

Me myself being a person that requires annimations of a certain level... (i quit Vanguard just for their cluncky annimations) ... dont think the annimations are actually that bad... they look very much like earlier Elder scrolls games which have also this type of near realistic annimations, and i was able to accept them as beiing non disturbing when playing the game myself...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ezystreetezystreet Member CommonPosts: 21

Look I would rather have bad/ no animations even for a good, smooth combat system and massive PvP battles.

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Maybe I'm crazy but not once during my game play overa couple of beta weekends did I think "man these animations suck"....not once did anything negative about them crossed my mind....but on the other hand I liked rift and I know that was a complaint about that game that I never shared either...