Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO or GW2 or Wildstar?

gxizhegxizhe Member UncommonPosts: 23

Since EQN wouldn't be out until maybe 2015, I need another game to kill time

I have come down to these three games because I tried most of the popular free MMOs and they all suck in one way or another

For P2P MMOs EVE is too hard for new players and WOW I just think it's too late to start

So please give me some suggestions

Comments

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

All 3. That's my serious suggestion. GW2 is awesome for playing in between all MMOs. ESO has some cool features that might keep you occupied for a while - and Wildstar looks fun. Now I don't think you have to play them at the same time but if you like MMOs you are going to have a lot of time to kill before EQ:N shows up. Assuming that EQ:N is a good game - which is a huge assumption. Go play planetside 2 to see the future of EQ:N.. (I am not saying its all bad either).

Too many people wait for the next big thing and then end up so disappointed when it doesn't arrive. The good news is that most games have some fun in them if you give them a shot. Despite what this forum will have you believe most MMOS are not 'crap' and have very good entertainment value. What they do not have is limitless entertainment value..

• gxizhegxizhe Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by GuyClinch

All 3. That's my serious suggestion. GW2 is awesome for playing in between all MMOs. ESO has some cool features that might keep you occupied for a while - and Wildstar looks fun. Now I don't think you have to play them at the same time but if you like MMOs you are going to have a lot of time to kill before EQ:N shows up. Assuming that EQ:N is a good game - which is a huge assumption. Go play planetside 2 to see the future of EQ:N.. (I am not saying its all bad either).

Too many people wait for the next big thing and then end up so disappointed when it doesn't arrive. The good news is that most games have some fun in them if you give them a shot. Despite what this forum will have you believe most MMOS are not 'crap' and have very good entertainment value. What they do not have is limitless entertainment value..

I tried PS2, it is a good game, but it is sorta p2w and it is just way to chaotic with so many players in one single small area(though not as bad as operation locker in bf4)

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644

GW2 you blow through to max level in 2 days.  Then it's all end game from there.  If you want something for a month or two and feel like you've accomplished everything but the highest gear treadmill, GW2

The other 2 may come down to preferences.  Wildstar or ESO, Fantasy or Sci-Fi.  I think those two coming up soon would be your best bet.  I suggest doing a little research on the parts you usually participate.  I don't really know what that is, if you could give us a better idea I'm sure we can talk to those points.  Do you like crafting, PVE, PVP, raids, story, do you prefer Fantasy or Sci-Fi?  Basically those type of things.

Originally posted by GuyClinch

A better assessment of GW2 than mine, good wording.

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448

In my opinion ESO is the easy pick. 

Gw2 progression was much to fast and the WvW pvp failed hard for me. 

ESO  PvP brought back so many memories  i will play it for sure. 

If your interested in WoW but think its to late to get in then Wildstar will be right up your alley .

Originally posted by Boreil
    In my opinion ESO is the easy pick.

I'm full bore ESO, WOOT!  But I will reserve offering anything specific up until OP can post his generalized preferences.

• gxizhegxizhe Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by Pyatra

GW2 you blow through to max level in 2 days.  Then it's all end game from there.  If you want something for a month or two and feel like you've accomplished everything but the highest gear treadmill, GW2

The other 2 may come down to preferences.  Wildstar or ESO, Fantasy or Sci-Fi.  I think those two coming up soon would be your best bet.  I suggest doing a little research on the parts you usually participate.  I don't really know what that is, if you could give us a better idea I'm sure we can talk to those points.  Do you like crafting, PVE, PVP, raids, story, do you prefer Fantasy or Sci-Fi?  Basically those type of things.

Well I like Fantasy, PVE or PVP will depend on whether the game is a static button smashing game or not, crafting and raid doesn't matter that much, would definitely like story like SWTOR, but that game's horrible cash shop scared me away twice

P.S.: I really enjoyed skyrim for its sandbox feeling and its exploration

• XileoXileo Member Posts: 24

With WoW, you'll be able to get boosted to level 90, so you might not have that feeling of "its too late".

However, if your interested in something more new and fresh, but has a similar feel to WoW, I highly recommend Wild Star.

If your looking for a game that really immerse you into the fantasy world, with good story telling and slow progression. Then i'd recommend ESO. Playing ESO beta, and it really has be addicted. I can see that this will be "it" the "one and only"

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Neither.

It's never too late to start WoW.

Just visit here to find a server that looks appealing to your play style:

http://www.wowprogress.com/

And bookmark this site (read the guides -- 4th tab) so you can fare the journey well (as guildies will get info wrong, too):

http://www.wowhead.com/

Then download the trial:

https://us.battle.net/account/creation/wow/signup/

Easy.

Within 4 months you'll have a level 90 toon (power levelers with BoAs can level a toon to 90 in 3 days flat); know how the game works (and it's culture); and can join the masses in WoD like a "pro" when it's released.

--

If you're a more advanced gamer, bookmark this site for the many addons:

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow

Essential addons for everyone (game revolves around them, don't be a n00b and show up without them!):

Deadly Boss Mods (PvE; DBM-PvP for PvP) <-- Raider prime addon.

Recount or Skada (PvE+PvP) <-- DPS prime ePeen tools.

Essential addon for healers (as raid frame healing sucks) a choice of either:

Vuhdo (works almost out of the box, and acts like a party monitor [does more than healing] -- good for any class).

Healbot (the standard).

Grid+Grid Healing addon (for control freaks).

Style addons folks usually install as the default UI is so limited:

Bartender

Dominos

Really advanced gamers will configure Pitbull4 with Bartender or Dominos and use Grid and Move Anything to completely customize their UI.

• Eighteen16Eighteen16 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    ESO will be perfect for killing time. Whether it has quality end game content remains to be seen, but leveling, exploring and PVP is far more entertainment than the other two. 
  • maple2maple2 Member UncommonPosts: 161

Gw2 Got nearly no Endgame content, but plenty of other content,

ESO looks like crap and the handling and combat is weak and stupid.

Wildstar is the next big mmo, with its 20,40 man raids, hardcore content, tons of endgame content, extremly deep crafting system

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris

If you're a more advanced gamer, bookmark this site for the many addons:

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow

Essential addons for everyone (game revolves around them, don't be a n00b and show up without them!):

Deadly Boss Mods (PvE; DBM-PvP for PvP) <-- Raider prime addon.

Recount or Skada (PvE+PvP) <-- DPS prime ePeen tools.

Essential addon for healers (as raid frame healing sucks) a choice of either:

Vuhdo (works almost out of the box, and acts like a party monitor [does more than healing] -- good for any class).

Healbot (the standard).

Grid+Grid Healing addon (for control freaks).

Style addons folks usually install as the default UI is so limited:

Bartender

Dominos

Really advanced gamers will configure Pitbull4 with Bartender or Dominos and use Grid and Move Anything to completely customize their UI.

Because of all this and the mentality that your a crappy gamer because you do not want 3rd party garbage in your game or on your computer, i quit WoW. that was the driving force to make me leave that game. I have zero intention of ever playing it again because the last time i "tried" to play it i was accosted by small minded players who insisted that i was worthless without addons.

Lolipops !

• Eighteen16Eighteen16 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Originally posted by maple2

Wildstar is the next big mmo, with its 20,40 man raids, hardcore content, tons of endgame content, extremly deep crafting system

Oh look, it is a an advertising bot impersonating a human. 

• maple2maple2 Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Originally posted by Eighteen16

.... lol u are funny , Not.

• dennis5dennis5 Member CommonPosts: 23

Haven't played Wildstar so I can't really comment on that one. But it seems from what i've heard and found it's definately not for me...

As for GW2 I bought it and played for 1 month (6months after launch), I couldn't stay there... something felt wrong, felt very hollow..and I'm not just talking about PvE  even WvW...

I played Eso during last beta and it got me. While in the begining at lower lvls you can't tell much, later on it gets better and better. Has great stuff to offer (most of it have been said around now since NDA lifed).

In the end however it's how you see it. You 'll get multiple posts saying one or the other, supporting their points of view which are all subjective.  In my opinion you should :  a) either try some of these (either through friend/trial offers / betas  b) or  watch some streaming,  c) collect info about each from forums (as much as possible due to NDA).

• GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169

Wild Star look like a fantasy world of a 9 year old kid on acid .... definitely no for me.

Gw2 ..... Fractal fractal fractal and never got a skin I wanted 1 year of fractal farm lvl 50 ....FUCK this game...

ESO craft seems decent and items skin much better than Gw2....  And graphics are realistic not some fantasy boosted with acid .

• Simple answer to simple question, ESO. Fresh and different game so..
  • elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

Hello,

Mostly depend on your tastes.

I tried both ESO and Wildstar, and did play GW2 to level 80.

If you like Fantasy, ESO is a good pick, it does have a slow start, but pick up later,  the experience is paced more slowly then an usual MMORPG, there is  a good chunk of exploration, and the landscape can be gorgeous , it does have a good crafting system, and the stories you will meet in them are meaningful.

The way to develope your character is very Elder scrollish, you can mix and match things , and end up with something you like , the starting class have it's weight, but is heavily influenced also in how you decide to develope it.

The main focus at endgame mostly is the three sides PVP, if you like that kind of game, is not a bad pick.

Wildstar is a more "Conventional" MMO, but mind it does have it's innovations, I can't go too much in details because NDA, but I didn't feel at all I was playing WoW in space, It does have it's character and it's personality. There is a lot to explore too, and if you like a bit of cartony graphic, it is gorgeous in it's own way, with grass moved by the wind,  ambient sounds... It does take a moment to get used to it's style but if you can do it is rewarding.

The class system is not as open as ESO, you have defined roles, but, without being able to tell too much, you have ways to personalize your style and your own way to play your class(es)

Wildstar is a bit more about PVE, even if it does have it's own PvP and can be fun and frenetic, is not the three side long campaign type of PvP of ESO, but is not less fun. A big focus will be the 20 and 40 man raids if you want the top notch gear.

GW2 have a lot to do too, it's combat can be frenetic, but mind if you love the trinity, is not for you,  one have to think a bit out of the box when playing GW2, the classes can be very fun, and if you can get into it's way of "non trinity" dungeons can be fun too. 

Zones are not extremily huge, but are large enough to be interesting, of the three , even with underwater exploring, i might say that personally find is the one that offer less as exploration; But hae a surprise or two in the ways of jumping puzzles that you can find if you look around the map.

Endgame .. mhhh well, a lot have been said about the WvWvW of GW2, it have it's fun moments, and can make you pass time, but mind, zerging it is used even if arenanet is trying to expand on PvP and make it less.. zergish, if it will suceed only time will tell.

I hope this can be useful to you for your choice.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Give the free to play EQ2 a try then sub it.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Eighteen16

.... lol u are funny , Not.

Don't pay it any attention, it's just an advertising bot for ESO impersonating a human.

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Id say play what ever calls to you. 

Also the only things that wildstar and wow share is its look and some of the quests look wowish but honestly the game is 98% diffrent than wow

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322
    Originally posted by gxizhe

I have come down to these three games because I tried most of the popular free MMOs and they all suck in one way or another

For P2P MMOs EVE is too hard for new players and WOW I just think it's too late to start

GW2 is pretty but grindy,i played ESO beta is great but expensive and people say wild star is not good ill bite the bullet and buy ESO its not like the old mmo`s not grindy and looks close to skyrim and the combat is great.

I logged in 4 times a day just to play-could not get enough of it,they say though stay away from the archer its soft target so that gets boring,I played sorcerer but the Templar has got spears like nevewinter cleric and sunburst and you can change weapons the whole time also exploring in a limited way but mush more than other mmo`s.

get it you will not be sorry,get a good graffix card the world is very pretty.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by gxizhe

it is not true ! Eve is easy game , it is different but not complicated.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by elvenwolf

Hello,

Mostly depend on your tastes.

I tried both ESO and Wildstar, and did play GW2 to level 80.

If you like Fantasy, ESO is a good pick, it does have a slow start, but pick up later,  the experience is paced more slowly then an usual MMORPG, there is  a good chunk of exploration, and the landscape can be gorgeous , it does have a good crafting system, and the stories you will meet in them are meaningful.

The way to develope your character is very Elder scrollish, you can mix and match things , and end up with something you like , the starting class have it's weight, but is heavily influenced also in how you decide to develope it.

The main focus at endgame mostly is the three sides PVP, if you like that kind of game, is not a bad pick.

Wildstar is a more "Conventional" MMO, but mind it does have it's innovations, I can't go too much in details because NDA, but I didn't feel at all I was playing WoW in space, It does have it's character and it's personality. There is a lot to explore too, and if you like a bit of cartony graphic, it is gorgeous in it's own way, with grass moved by the wind,  ambient sounds... It does take a moment to get used to it's style but if you can do it is rewarding.

The class system is not as open as ESO, you have defined roles, but, without being able to tell too much, you have ways to personalize your style and your own way to play your class(es)

Wildstar is a bit more about PVE, even if it does have it's own PvP and can be fun and frenetic, is not the three side long campaign type of PvP of ESO, but is not less fun. A big focus will be the 20 and 40 man raids if you want the top notch gear.

GW2 have a lot to do too, it's combat can be frenetic, but mind if you love the trinity, is not for you,  one have to think a bit out of the box when playing GW2, the classes can be very fun, and if you can get into it's way of "non trinity" dungeons can be fun too. 

Zones are not extremily huge, but are large enough to be interesting, of the three , even with underwater exploring, i might say that personally find is the one that offer less as exploration; But hae a surprise or two in the ways of jumping puzzles that you can find if you look around the map.

Endgame .. mhhh well, a lot have been said about the WvWvW of GW2, it have it's fun moments, and can make you pass time, but mind, zerging it is used even if arenanet is trying to expand on PvP and make it less.. zergish, if it will suceed only time will tell.

I hope this can be useful to you for your choice.

Best description of each game I've seen so far. Each game has it's own style and flavour. Some people may like one, but not the other, but some will like all 3.  

• arunasmearunasme Member UncommonPosts: 129
    None, all 3 are a bunch of same old sh!t, waiting on the next big titles.