Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirates of the Burning Sea: Dev Journal #6 & Screens

The Navigation Zone is an important part of any sailing game. This form of dramatic compression zooms out and lets players travel across the open sea in a little faster. Troy Hewitt and Taylor Daynes penned this month's Pirates of the Burning Sea developer journal that explains this system. They also gave us five screenshots of it.

imageWelcome to the Caribbean – this is how you’ll be sailing from island to island in Pirates of the Burning Sea, the upcoming Pirate-themed Massively Multiplayer game from Flying Lab Software.

As you can imagine, the biggest challenge with any sailing game is the sailing, itself. How do you make sailing fun when your world encompasses all the Caribbean islands, and the continental coastlines from South Carolina to French Guiana? Sailing is fantastically interesting when there’s something exciting going on – a fight or a storm – but it’s terribly boring to sail around the Caribbean in real-time when nothing is happening.

You can read the article and see the images here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• IijsIijs Member Posts: 457

A new name for the Nav zone, eh? Hmmmm.......

• misiu_dkmisiu_dk Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Not easy image

• B._TOM_KiddB._TOM_Kidd Member Posts: 69

:O
    i Like the fonts.

just like any other Pirates game, the nav screen is something like this.
    i just wonder how its will work in MMO, something like everyone wondered how the bullet time will work in Mxo (does the game have bullet time or not )

Wolfang, the lvl 50 Guardian of Splitpaw - EQ2.
    SuRfer of Werner - Planetside

• QwirkQwirk Member Posts: 136

The link in the MMORPG article is broken.
    The actual thread for the Nav Zone renaming is:
    http://www.flyinglab.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10005

Just thought that might be helpful :)

• conmcloudconmcloud Member Posts: 9
    Who cares what they call it I just want to play itimage