Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok let me get this straight?

pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99

There are no voice overs in this game?  If this is true?  hahahahahahahahahahahahaahaha

Have fun with my $15....   later folks.....

Comments

• DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189

There are some voice over in the game. Just not all cut scenes have them. Here's the video I made feature voice over in all 4 languages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ejYV9L1HPM

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    What do voice overs matter?
  • ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192
    It is called reading. God forbid you read and enjoy a story.
  • yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Magiknight

This. Look at SWTOR, full VO but still sucks.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    A good chunk of the main story is voiced over.  And, while they did do a great job the story is great even without it.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Though I agree it should be fully voiced in 2014, this is one immature post and should be locked as its not discussing anything.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by keithian
    Though I agree it should be fully voiced in 2014, this is one immature post and should be locked as its not discussing anything.

Considering how much MMO's cost I would disagree especially one like FFXIV where they don't expect everyone to do the same quests over again for alts.  I would much rather have the millions of dollars it would cost to voice over an mmo completely to go towards features.  And, yes it would cost millions because it's not a s simple having a voice actor in for a day and the game is multi-lang.

Single player games should be voiced over though imo if they aren't indie.

• pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    I'm not trolling but I agree I made this post hastily and with a great deal of sarcasm.  However, now several hours later I want to add that my point is that the intro to this game was like watching a silent movie.  That's how archaic this game came across to me and is why I wont be subbing.  I don't want to play a game that feels and sounds like its 15 years old.  I'll leave now and you wont have to worry about my opinion ever again.  Thanks!
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

It's always funny to me how swiftly fans will change their tune about a game when their previous position no longer works.

For a long time before launch, it was one of fans' favorite talking points of how much voice-acting would play a part in XIV. It was one of the things many insisted "made it a true next-gen MMORPG".

Then, we found out only certain cutscenes/characters are voice acted.

So now, when someone points that out, fanboys come back with "Yeah so what? Voice acting isn't that important! Look at SWTOR!"

If there was ever a collection of "You might be a fanboy of a MMO if..." examples, that behavior would definitely be included.

"You might be a MMO fanboy if...

... you immediately change opinions and arguments on any aspect of the game, even if it means contradicting something you'd said previously; so long as it's defending the game, anything goes."

Now, before someone gets their panties all in a wad and thinks "I'm bashing ARR"... No, I'm not.

I'm poking fun at a common fanboy behavior that's demonstrated by many people, across many MMOs. If a MMO has a population, it has these kinds of people in it. No matter how often I see it, it never ceases to amuse me.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

It's always funny to me how swiftly fans will change their tune about a game when their previous position no longer works.

For a long time before launch, it was one of fans' favorite talking points of how much voice-acting would play a part in XIV. It was one of the things many insisted "made it a true next-gen MMORPG".

Then, we found out only certain cutscenes/characters are voice acted.

So now, when someone points that out, the fans' come back with "Yeah so what? Voice acting isn't that important! Look at SWTOR!"

If there was ever a collection of "You might be a fanboy of a MMO if..." examples, that behavior would definitely be included.

"You might be a MMO fanboy if...

... you immediately change opinions and arguments on any aspect of the game, even if it means contradicting something you'd said previously; so long as it's defending the game, anything goes."

Now, before someone gets their panties all in a wad and thinks "I'm bashing ARR"... No, I'm not.

I'm poking fun at a common fanboy behavior that's demonstrated by many people, across many MMOs. If a MMO has a population, it has these kinds of people in it. No matter how often I see it, it never ceases to amuse me.

First off, never do I remember all the "fanboys" saying anything about how FFXIV was a "truly next gen" MMORPG, nor do I remember anyone boasting about how much voice acting would play a part in it.

Sounds like you are just the opposite of a "fanboy" someone who creates little narratives to goad people on.  This is a rather ridiculous one as I bet you would struggle to quote even one person to back up your claims that "ALLLL THE FANBOYS WERE LIKE BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH LOL"

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    What's always confused me is.... How come all final fantasy games from ffX onward were fully voiced except for ffxi and ffxiv arr?
  • Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625
    Originally posted by pappacube

There are no voice overs in this game?  If this is true?  hahahahahahahahahahahahaahaha

Have fun with my $15....   later folks.....

The laugh is on you, sonny ;)

Originally posted by Dzone
    What's always confused me is.... How come all final fantasy games from ffX onward were fully voiced except for ffxi and ffxiv arr?

Because MMO's require updates which means keeping voice actors on hand normal games don't.  Once it's done it's basically done.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

No Voice overs

No interactive objects in the game world.

No hidden quests or random books.

No Adventuring and finding event quests.

No Imperial Race.

No House you can build and customize, (yes you actually have to farm for two months to get one)

No sandbox play.

Hope this helps you figuring out if your $15 is worth it or not.

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

We're all spoiled brats.

In the future there will be no reading and there will be no voice actors...only direct-to-brain injections.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

Really?

Are we playing the same game?

My FFXIV ARR have voice over..

• kueykuey Member UncommonPosts: 39

Whilst it may not be at the same level of games like SWTOR or ESO, FFXIV definitely does have voice overs, though the quality is far inferior (to the point where at times I personally wished they didn't use voice overs...).

That aside, not using voice overs may seem like a reduction in production value but if they spend the money that they would of otherwise spent on voice acting on making the game better then I can't really see why people would complain about it. If you look at SWTOR when it originally came out, one of the very few things that actually earned it praise was the voice acting, but due to the money and effort spent on voice acting they left many other areas of the game unpolished. The other problem now is that after making such a commitment to voice acting, they have pretty much locked themselves into this position that each of their expansions has a significantly higher cost due to the requirement for voice acting. For games that struggle, every additional cost that is associated with continued development is just another thorn in their side.

That's just a personal take I have on it after playing SWTOR and FFXIV. Whilst FFXIV wasn't perfect by any means, it definitely had a lot more polish to it than SWTOR. That isn't solely due to the the voice acting, but those additional expenditures sure as hell don't help.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Originally posted by shaddy33
    It is called reading. God forbid you read and enjoy a story.

Are we still in the dark age of MUD gaming?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It wasn't a big deal to me at all, all I wanted was for the cutscenes to have voice overs. I can't handle too many of them, I thought it would be so cool before SWTOR came out if a game had full voice work. But in the MMORPG universe it's just too much. The games are so much longer than normal single player games if you don't rush, and the entire thing being voiced over including pointless side quests that want you to go do some menial task it just feels overwhelmingly boring. I liked the voice overs in SWTOR until about 1/3rd of the way to 50 and then I just ended up skipping everything, I didn't want to hear a 5 minute monologue leading into him asking to kill 10 deer.
  • Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    I don't mind reading...but then I'm not a child or a moron. If you where I could understand your resistance to reading. Stay in school kids!
  • JinzouningenJinzouningen Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by inemosz

Really?

Are we playing the same game?

My FFXIV ARR have voice over..

Thats whats confusing me too. I remember there being lots of it and often. Maybe hes got a setting off or his sound down but its there.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Knotwood

No Voice overs

No interactive objects in the game world.

No hidden quests or random books.

No Adventuring and finding event quests.

No Imperial Race.

No House you can build and customize, (yes you actually have to farm for two months to get one)

No sandbox play.

Hope this helps you figuring out if your $15 is worth it or not.

Wow, it's almost as if somebody copy / pasted a complaint list directly from the TESO forums without even bothering to modify it to better suit the game being discussed!

Oh wait...

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by yaminsux
    Originally posted by Magiknight

This. Look at SWTOR, full VO but still sucks.

QFE

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

This discussion has been closed.