Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Post NDA comprehensive review including endgame content

2»

Comments

• ThornrageThornrage Eastern North CarolinaPosts: 592Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Not sure if this helps but during beta when I was "trying" to level as quickly as I could to get to lvl 10 in order to pvp I could honestly say that the game couldn't hold me.

So, when I gave up on "leveling quickly" and just played as close as I could a regular elder scrolls game (you can't exactly do it but there is a certain level of exploratoin and adventure one could find) The game did indeed engage me.

I think one's attitude is going to color their experience (well duh) but if one is only about leveling then the game isn't going to scratch that itch well. At least based on my experience.

I had more fun letting go and just "being" in the world and then eventually getting to the pvp part.

A friend and I have already decided that we will stop to smell the roses with this game. I did the same as you the first beta weekend I was in, by the time I reached the last weekend, I was taking my time and looking for stuff that wasn't in my normal path of questing. I had more fun this past beta weekend than any other.

As for the review, excellent write-up!

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,610Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Drannor
    Originally posted by Iselin

Outstanding article. I can't find a single thing to disagree with.

He even mentioned the DW ability Flurry. When I slotted that I was thinking that the damage description ability was a typo or placeholder numbers: 6 hits for 1,1,1,1,1,5... nope lol. It really is a waste of time during which you'd be better off just using default attacks. Even when morphed it will either increase your attack speed by 15% for 6 seconds or each hit has a 4% chance to cause "off balance" ... still not worth diddly.

Wut? Played last beta, can't tell you exact numbers, but last attack was above 90 (at level 14). Basically Veiled Strike followed by Flurry and  Killer's Blade killed every npc on my level. It felt quite powerful. Or am I missing something?

Impressive review, thx for that.

Interesting. maybe they tweaked it. I tried it the previous weekend and didn't bother slotting it last time... btw, how do you know it was 90? Have you found a way to see the damage numbers?

• IlayaIlaya BochumPosts: 417Member Uncommon

Damned....that was a nice Review or better a Preview so to speak. And it was the first one which i could say; Yes, that'ts what i had expirienced in Beta as well. I was really tiered of all the Bashing or "miles away from what i thought" reviews. I am sooooo looking forward to see finally an MMORPG which i might can call "Home" again.

Glad i Pre-Orderd already. And if a "Darkness Falls" Dungeon perhaps will find it's way also in the Game......then im Lost image Thx in advance Zenimax, beware cause im commin to you and i am pleased to pay for it per Month. Alone the so called Endcontent 50+ and ++ is worth every Cent. I will run for quest's until my Brain will start bleeding image

• R.LimaR.Lima BrasPosts: 116Member Uncommon
    The title does not disappoint. It is most definitely comprehensive and well worth reading. Great review!
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,524Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Iselin

Outstanding article. I can't find a single thing to disagree with.

He even mentioned the DW ability Flurry. When I slotted that I was thinking that the damage description ability was a typo or placeholder numbers: 6 hits for 1,1,1,1,1,5... nope lol. It really is a waste of time during which you'd be better off just using default attacks. Even when morphed it will either increase your attack speed by 15% for 6 seconds or each hit has a 4% chance to cause "off balance" ... still not worth diddly.

But one thing you'll notice with every beta weekend these days is that the patch notes detail a rather large list of ability changes. Obviously balancing them is very much one of the top priorities now that it's getting close to launch.

Indeed - agree with this.

Hopefully they will also address scaling in AvAvA - and have brackets of 10-19 stats, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49 - the last one being closer to unclammped stats of level 50s.

To me that would make more sense, than just having a single bucket for all 1-49 players.

• KhebelnKhebeln BelfastPosts: 677Member Uncommon

I agree so far its the most full review available out there.

The main reason why many of the reviews out there are not to good is simply because most of the reviewers got to lv 7 and made a game review calling it first 5-6h (that is actually 1-2h max) like this guy here

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/07/hands-on-the-first-few-hours-of-elder-scrolls-online/

I mean ok, this site is known for unbiased reviews, but as far as talking about first 7 levels he is not very wrong, the real game starts once you finish the tutorial and its A LOT better. You simply cant review mmo game like you would a single player game.

Whats worst a lot of people out there trust those people because they write reviews for a well known site.

Its like a family car magazine making a review of a newest prototype sports car...

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2

Originally posted by Khebeln I agree so far its the most full review available out there. The main reason why many of the reviews out there are not to good is simply because most of the reviewers got to lv 7 and made a game review calling it first 5-6h (that is actually 1-2h max) like this guy here http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/07/hands-on-the-first-few-hours-of-elder-scrolls-online/ I mean ok, this site is known for unbiased reviews, but as far as talking about first 7 levels he is not very wrong, the real game starts once you finish the tutorial and its A LOT better. You simply cant review mmo game like you would a single player game. Whats worst a lot of people out there trust those people because they write reviews for a well known site. Its like a family car magazine making a review of a newest prototype sports car...

To be fair all of those were previews as NDA was still in place for anything past level 10.

To me a review should be overarching including endgame information - this is the only actual review that I am aware of as of now.

• HellCasterHellCaster Kansas City, KSPosts: 201Member

Excellent review!

4/4/2014 can't come soon enough!

Playing: GW2 & Robocraft

Originally posted by DMKano

Originally posted by Khebeln I agree so far its the most full review available out there. The main reason why many of the reviews out there are not to good is simply because most of the reviewers got to lv 7 and made a game review calling it first 5-6h (that is actually 1-2h max) like this guy here http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/07/hands-on-the-first-few-hours-of-elder-scrolls-online/ I mean ok, this site is known for unbiased reviews, but as far as talking about first 7 levels he is not very wrong, the real game starts once you finish the tutorial and its A LOT better. You simply cant review mmo game like you would a single player game. Whats worst a lot of people out there trust those people because they write reviews for a well known site. Its like a family car magazine making a review of a newest prototype sports car...

To be fair all of those were previews as NDA wad still in place for anything past level 10.

To me a review should be overarching including endgame information - this is the only actual review that I am aware of as of now.

I agree. The article was dated "By John Walker on February 7th, 2014 at 3:00 pm" thats on the same day as the beta weekend started so many people considered it as a review. The writer probably played the game few days earlier at private show at Zenimax.

I spent good 1h arguing with someone on my community site about this review vs the proper review linked in this topic. It was really hard for him to understand the difference and he dismissed the review because it was done by a fansite.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2

Originally posted by Khebeln

To be fair all of those were previews as NDA wad still in place for anything past level 10.

I agree. The article was dated "By John Walker on February 7th, 2014 at 3:00 pm" thats on the same day as the beta weekend started so many people considered it as a review. The writer probably played the game few days earlier at private show at Zenimax.

I spent good 1h arguing with someone on my community site about this review vs the proper review linked in this topic. It was really hard for him to understand the difference and he dismissed the review because it was done by a fansite.

To me reviews stand on their own merits, I don't care which site did it or if it were authored by a mass murderer - the content and quality of the review speaks for itself.

Dismissing something solely based on site/author identity is pretty shallow to me.

Originally posted by Khebeln

To me reviews stand on their own merits, I don't care which site did it or if it were authored by a mass murderer - the content and quality of the review speaks for itself.

Dismissing something solely based on site/author identity is pretty shallow to me.

I agree completely, issue is a lot of people don't do the same. Half assed reviews like that only do disservice to the game and spread bad rumors on the internet.

Is it so hard to make it clear at the beginning of the article that its very early preview, instead of writing the article as if was a review. That includes final judgement on the game as if it was a final version.

Not to mention i quote from that review "’Ive played up to level 7, so far, which isn’t enormously far in, but does represent that crucial opening five or six hours."

First of all, getting to lv 7 is 1-2h and that includes doing all quests ( i did play several characters up to lv 15-19). Second making any judgement about the game based on two Tutorial zones and intro zone is not the best idea.

• ScotScot UKPosts: 5,762Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by Scot

Just one quibble with the review. Immersion is not roleplaying, talking about roleplaying under the heading immersion would lead readers into thinking they are one and the same. They are not.

The review was well worth the read.

I would say that if the intention of the starter areas was to break players in gently, they are a waste of content. MMOs are so simple now days that one would have to be your first game for you to have problems working it out.

Don't forget that this game is headed to the consoles a month or two after the PC launch. There may well be a significant portion of the console Skyrim players that have never played an MMO....

I will add that to my list of detrimental changes to MMOs to suit the console crowd then.

• cheyanecheyane Rome Posts: 3,002Member Uncommon

Well written review with over 9 months in the game so I can fully appreciate the depth. Thank you for allowing us the read and I am getting a little more interested,I played the stress test and I must say I was not considering buying but after reading this I might reconsider.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• rwyanrwyan raleigh, NCPosts: 461Member

I participated in an earlier beta weekend around octoberish.  I liked enough of what I saw but had a lot of concerns (many to be exact).

All of the press has been mostly mixed as well but with some common threads.  The biggest shared criticism typically points out to some awkwardness around trying to mix the typical ES experience and the familiar MMO experience.  However, some reviews have been cautiously optimistic or down-right negative.

Then, many reviews from both players and critics who made it out of the starting areas have been largely positive and even more optimistic - especially those who have engaged in PvP. <-- This is why I decided to take a chance and pre-order a digital copy.

Thank you for posting Isarii's review.  Considering it was on an ESO fansite, I was expecting some bias.  However, it is one of the most objective reviews I've read thus far.  It does well to point out some weaknesses in addition to some of the bigger picture items that really haven't been touched on much (adventure zones for example).  <-- This is why I am feeling very confident in my preorder

• DrDwarfDrDwarf TeesidePosts: 475Member

It is a real shame that there doesn't seem to be much by way of group orientated PVE content and features.

The comments about negligible XP for completing PVE 4 man dungeons is very discouraging for those of us that enjoy these sorts of encounters.

PVE set ups of late reward solo play far too much and outdoor mini bosses and rifts dont require coordination and thus dont aid community development or encourage person to person interaction.

I suspect that for most PVP will also end up being a largely solo endeavor moving from one siege zerg to another.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Belleville, ONPosts: 1,108Member
    Originally posted by DrDwarf

It is a real shame that there doesn't seem to be much by way of group orientated PVE content and features.

The comments about negligible XP for completing PVE 4 man dungeons is very discouraging for those of us that enjoy these sorts of encounters.

PVE set ups of late reward solo play far too much and outdoor mini bosses and rifts dont require coordination and thus dont aid community development or encourage person to person interaction.

I suspect that for most PVP will also end up being a largely solo endeavor moving from one siege zerg to another.

So let me get this right a four man dungeon run promotes community development and person to person interaction but a 25 man raid is largely a solo endeavor ?

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Boring, TXPosts: 1,171Member Uncommon
    Remember when you were excited for Guild Wars 2?
  • I'm going to disagree with one statement

"Where games like World of Warcraft and SWTOR have almost completely removed any reason to group from the game’s leveling experience"

Say what you will about SWTOR, but it is one of the few MMO's in the past 14 Years to reward the crap out of Grouping.

Not only did you get better Loot from grouping, You also got a CRAP ton better XP... When the game first came out, I was able to skip entire Planets of side quests just by doing the Class Quest and the Heroics on that planet with a Group..Hell 3 Toons later I still doing content that I missed the first time around on my first toon... So don't lump SWTOR in with WoW, SWTOR is one of the best grouping games in a long long time in terms of rewarding it. You could solo through SWTOR this is true, but SWTOR didn't skimp on group content when leveling.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,255Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by moosecatlol
    Remember when you were excited for Guild Wars 2?

This also comes to mind.

• keithiankeithian Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,042Member Uncommon

I finally took the time to read this and I must say it's quite a valuable and comprehensive review. Most of it was confirming what I already knew. Despite my excitement for the game, my concerns continue to be:

1) No mention of the side RPG things one would expect in an game like this like instrument playing, player housing, etc.

2) No mention of how the social areas are organized if at all in the game. Any reason to hang out at the tavern?

3) his comment about how world bosses are made for 2-3 was extremely disappointing to hear. I wanted really dangerous similar to GW2. 

4) he talked about the static dark anchors which conflicts with earlier reports of them being more random. I hope Zenimax makes them less static. 

5) the fact that the questing in General is actually better alone than with someone to me is a negative. Outside of the things he mentioned that encouraged grouping (e.g. Dungeons, world bosses, etc) it shouldn't be a hindrance to group due to phasing or each person getting no credit for the other persons accomplishments. Hopefully they improve that too.

Regardless, there were SO MANY more positives than negatives and I couldn't be more excited about release :-). His comments about exploration confirming this IS NOT a quest hub based game once you get through the starter areas is exactly what I'm looking for. 

There Is Always Hope!

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Tijeras, NMPosts: 504Member Uncommon

Very good review, very detailed and well explained for the most part.

A couple things I hope that'll get answered at some point

• the 50+/++ zones you do the gain VR - they are just regular zones with buffed mobs, and they are phased, so the veteran mobs don't thrash lowbies?
    • Aside from the size of the map and some of the consequences of that size, like solo/small man roaming, what exactly is the difference to GW2 WvW? And by how much are the waypoints going to "shrink" the map down? So far, I see this playing very similarly to WvW, a lot of fun and chaos and great battles during the first year or two, then things will get "streamlined" to "karma trains" and stacked factions. I just don't see anything in either GW2, or in ESO to discourage this. Just hoping that "everything will work out", as ANet did and still does, doesn't work.

2»