Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Playing as a Casual

DonY81DonY81 RochesterPosts: 350Member

Hi

Is this game good for casual players. I work a lot these days but tried the beta and loved it. I play a few days a week. Any ideas...?

Comments

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock N/A, VAPosts: 593Member Uncommon
    I think so.  There is a lot you can solo in the game for character development.  You are going to want to group up occasionally but you should be able to advance on your schedule.
  • BoreilBoreil Dallas, TXPosts: 448Member Uncommon
    You will level slower, and prolly wont ever be top rank in PvP, other than that  it is an mmo, dont know what else to tel lya.

• alterfenixalterfenix Bielsko-BialaPosts: 343Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DonY81

Hi

Is this game good for casual players. I work a lot these days but tried the beta and loved it. I play a few days a week. Any ideas...?

Think of it this way. Most other MMORPG games are all all about destination while TESO is also about the journey. In other words take your time, no hurry and so on. It may change in the future however as it is now there is still alot to do even if you are not at level cap.

• BeyornBeyorn Canton, GAPosts: 249Member Uncommon
    I feel your pain.  I have very crazy hours I play too.  I would think that you could do the story and solo quest but sadly that is about it.  You could also get into a casual guild. 
  • ariestearieste toronto, ONPosts: 3,308Member Common

Hi

Yeah, it's very casual.  Most content is soloable, most xp comes from just doing the quest hubs.  All stuff you can do at your own pace.   The mass PvP looks quite zergish, so looks like someting you'd be able to just join and leave without anyone noticing.  I'm no expert on pvp though.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2
    Currently Playing: EQ2, Firefall

• DogblasterDogblaster PraguePosts: 491Member
    Originally posted by alterfenix

Hi

Think of it this way. Most other MMORPG games are all all about destination while TESO is also about the journey. In other words take your time, no hurry and so on. It may change in the future however as it is now there is still alot to do even if you are not at level cap.

You act like there is no destination in teso :) OFC there is, gear and pvp ranks, etc. Like in other mmorpgs too :)

• alicornalicorn Ocala, FLPosts: 171Member Uncommon
    You can have great fun solo and casually... so much to do... quest, explore, craft... join us and have a blast!
  • BoreilBoreil Dallas, TXPosts: 448Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by arieste

Hi

Yeah, it's very casual.  Most content is soloable, most xp comes from just doing the quest hubs.  All stuff you can do at your own pace.   The mass PvP looks quite zergish, so looks like someting you'd be able to just join and leave without anyone noticing.  I'm no expert on pvp though.  

Wow couldn't be more wrong.  There is no Hubs as we know them, MOST quests are found out exploring the zones, and most overland content is soloable sure, but thats about it. Mass pvp has zergs sure, but  coordinated clans is where its at for pvp ignore the zerg, stick to your clan.  We dominated Scourge campaign ( ATS )  while the zergs went after useles land grabs etc etc . We crowned multiple Emperors and held most scrolls/IC keeps castles while we were  there, so  you can put the zerg worries out of your head.

Originally posted by Boreil

Wow couldn't be more wrong.  There is no Hubs as we know them, MOST quests are found out exploring the zones, and most overland content is soloable sure, but thats about it. Mass pvp has zergs sure, but  coordinated clans is where its at for pvp ignore the zerg, stick to your clan.  We dominated Scourge campaign ( ATS )  while the zergs went after useles land grabs etc etc . We crowned multiple Emperors and held most scrolls/IC keeps castles while we were  there, so  you can put the zerg worries out of your head.

I could very well be wrong on PvP, just going by the videos there, then again, considering the OP is looking to play casually , don't think that he's concerned with "dominating".  

On the PvE, i'm going by my own beta experience - while there are some minor quests out in the middle of nowhere, the vast majority of them was concenterated in hubs and after you finished all the quests in one hub, you were directed to the next.   At least that's how it is in the first open zone after you're done all the training stuff and hit abotu 10.    Just because there is SOME stuff between quest hubs doesn't mean that the majority of it isn't in those quest hubs still.    But regardless of that, it's still very casual friendly, from what i saw, the dungeons gave virtually no XP, it was all from solo questing.  I also didn't get a single group quest up to about level 15 or so, nor saw any group mobs out in the world.  Though both might exist.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

• PyatraPyatra Kansas City, KSPosts: 644Member

Yes, casual or hardcore, there's plenty to do in game from what I've already seen and from what I've read.

Beta Character build.

• Level 18
    • Restoration Staff
    • Heavy Armor
    • Sorceror
    • Altmer
    • Crafting: Level 6-8, Alchemy, Enchanting, Clothier.
    • Crafting: Level 10-11, Blacksmithing, Woodworking
    • Crafting: Level 23, Provisioning
    • Altmeri Dominion
  • artemisentr4artemisentr4 fresno, CAPosts: 1,431Member Uncommon

Hi

The Megaserver should put you in with other like minded players. So if you are casual and have limited play time, you will probably be in a channel with others that play the same. This may actually give you a chance to meet others in the same boat as you. If you chose to group with some of these players, you will also have a better chance of  being put in the same channel.

As far as game play, there should be a ton for casual players. You will be able to explore and find caves, quests, skyshards and random events as you travel. It will probably take you a long time to reach level 50. But once you do, you will be able to go to another faction with the same character for the 50+ content. You will do all the quests and exploration in the new faction, but every mob will be 50+. Then after that do it a 3rd time in the last faction.

This could be a great casual experience for gamers depending on what you want to play. And you shouldn't be left out of much if you just try to do it. Grouping and PvP included if you want with the Megaserver.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• keithiankeithian Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,042Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by arieste
    Originally posted by Boreil

I could very well be wrong on PvP, just going by the videos there, then again, considering the OP is looking to play casually , don't think that he's concerned with "dominating".  

On the PvE, i'm going by my own beta experience - while there are some minor quests out in the middle of nowhere, the vast majority of them was concenterated in hubs and after you finished all the quests in one hub, you were directed to the next.   At least that's how it is in the first open zone after you're done all the training stuff and hit abotu 10.    Just because there is SOME stuff between quest hubs doesn't mean that the majority of it isn't in those quest hubs still.    But regardless of that, it's still very casual friendly, from what i saw, the dungeons gave virtually no XP, it was all from solo questing.  I also didn't get a single group quest up to about level 15 or so, nor saw any group mobs out in the world.  Though both might exist.

Where you playing ESO beta or accidentally thinking you were in ESO beta and played Wildstar instead? I played all 3 starter areas and the majority of the quests were NOT in the hubs except for the fact that when you left Cold harbor, the initial quest or quests were because that is where you were put. You could ignore any of those immediate quests (except main story), run all over the starter areas and level up quite a bit without touching anything in the first town. 

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by keithian

Where you playing ESO beta or accidentally thinking you were in ESO beta and played Wildstar instead? I 

Yep, quite sure.  I'd recognize it if my game was made by disney.  :)    

I only played one of the areas and i ran all over, by far the majority of quests were concentrated in same areas (i call them quest-hubs, you can call them wahtever you like) with every once in a while a quest out in the wilds/in-between those areas.  

- Raph Koster

• ScotScot UKPosts: 5,757Member Uncommon
    There is not a modern MMO in existence that was not built from the ground up for solo/casual players. So you won't have any problem in ESO. :)
  • kkarrabbasskkarrabbass Palm Springs, CAPosts: 152Member

Hi

If you would ask me, this game might have very well more to offer to casual player, than to power player. PVE part will give you much more fun, if you will not rush.

This game has enormous amount of PVE content, which in most part could be done solo, or in small group. Exploring, little things, which easy to miss when you are rushing to end game. You will also always have some players around, even if most of the players significantly ahead of you, because they will return for the same as yours quests for 50+/50++ game play.

PVP, you can always participate in it after level 10.

It is good to know some other people opinions.

It is better to have your own.