Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You thought ESO was bad?Wait till you play wildstar

Comments

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

The arguments on this thread are stuff of legends

On an unrelated note, wildstar made me like ESO, so I am grateful that Wildstar made the decision for me

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Wildstar was a HUGE let down for me.  I have not played ESO yet so I can not compare them.
  • SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

Truth....ESO made me realize that Wildstar was very very awesome ;p

All joking aside.  I"ve played both.  Wildstar stars off slow and I honestly hated it so much when I first played it.  But it grows on you.  Even the graphics grow on you.  They arn't ESO graphics, that's for sure, but the world feels lush and alive which is more than I can say for ESO's sterile zone design. 

The pve in Wildstar is leaps and bounds better than ESO's and the combat is similar but feels a lot better and has awesome feedback (something ESO is completely lacking).  By extension of that the actual pvp plays better too. 

ESO has Cyrodill, great graphics and it runs smooth.  That's about all the positives i can give it.  The combat is actually pretty awful, Neverwinter was the exact same thing but done better.  The character progression is pants too compared to Wildstar.

Honestly, none of this even matters, the two games arn't coming out at the same time, so it's not as if anyone will have to choose one over the other. 

• gonewildgonewild Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by Draemos
    Originally posted by kuey

I have yet to play Wildstar so I can't make a comparison, but to those who actually HAVE played both... What made Wildstar seem like a flop in comparison to ESO? Hard to take people seriously when the majority offer up vague reasons as to why it's better, like "the combat is better" or "questing is more fun," without actually explaining how they came to such a conclusion.

ESO does pretty much everything better except combat, combat animations, and housing (which ESO doesn't have).

The world design is gorgeous and massive, the graphics are realistic and the best of any MMO I've seen.  The quests are well written, layered, and fully voice acted.   Exploration is heavily rewarded.  You've got world bosses, open world group dungeons, optional group zone bosses, lore books, special crafting stations,  sky shards, random event quests, Dark Anchors, treasure maps... and this is all on top of the quests.

PvP has a scale unmatched by any game short of Eve, and improves on GW2's version in multiple ways.  

Character customization(as in building your characters stats/skills) is fantastic and allows for a variety of unique builds.

Crafting is amazing and blows most theme parks out of the water.  

There seems to be a ton of content, and you really notice the high production value with a lot of the small details (dynamic weather, your character rolls when falling from moderate distances, random wildlife all over the place, a fantastic music score, lock picking mini games, etc etc).  

And to top it all off, the game is probably the most impressively optimized client I've ever seen in an MMO.  It's the best looking game in the genre and it can run flawlessly with hundreds of people flooding across your screen with trebuchets flinging stuff everywhere.

I will have to agree

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by dinams

The arguments on this thread are stuff of legends

On an unrelated note, wildstar made me like ESO, so I am grateful that Wildstar made the decision for me

That doesn't make any sense, unless you mean you chose the lesser of two evils. Which would be kind of odd. I mean, why would you play a game because some random other game is worse?

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Eighteen16
    You cannot create a succesful MMO by trying to beat Wow at their own design.

Especially when they miss the mark.

It's not the art.

It's not the skills.

It's something very basic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDESKTq73qg

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

Hello,

I think the two games are very different and try to cater to very different tastes. So I find comparing them difficult. I did play both betas, and they are so different that it just depend on your personal preference.

One go for a light cartony tone, the other try to be gritty and realistic, I find both had good points and bad points, but they were so different from each other that say A is better then B is hard.

My personal tastes goes more toward Wildstar then ESO, which dosen't make ESO a bad game, just a game that I don't find attractive.

If you really like one I think would be hard to like the other too, they go in different directions.

The only thing they have in common is that they are both MMOs, but they are trying to do different things.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Not even sure why there is an argument here. Both ESO and WildStar are themeparks, to me its old hat, and i am bored to tears with the whole design.

Repopulation, Camelot Unchained, and EQNext all on my radar, and if EvE was not just ships as avatars i would probably have played that, but i hate just being a ship (yes i know there are now humanoid Avatars). 

What i noticed is that the games i am most interested in are no longer themeparks they are RvR focused PvP games or they are sandboxes. I never thought i would be agreeing with anything John Smedley says after the SWG/fiasco but he seems to have completely pulled his head out of his rectum recently, and has really made me take notice.

I think between ESO and Wildstar those who really like themeparks will have a fantasy choice and a sc-fi fantasy choice, in the end that will be the main decider that players will make. 

Course if i was really interested in a themepark i would stick with Rift or WoW, both more polished than some new release, and tons of content too boot.

This whole thread seems to just be a pissing match, which just befuddles me, they are games go play one.

Lolipops !

• pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Wildstar seems like one of those Asian F2P games trying to be a AAA game but pretty much missing the mark.  ESO has all the flavor of a AAA game but also has some strange problems with the engine where quests get hosed up pretty bad.  I'm disappointed that after having around a month between the two beta weekends the same darned quests were bugged all to hell in both.  Both games have a chance at success but I don't think anyone knows for sure which one will draw the larger crowd of fanatics.  I'll lean towards ESO for now.
  • MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by tawess
    Originally posted by gonewild

The funny thing is that people are dissapointed by Eso and putting their hopes on wildstar.

But they dont know that wildstar is worse than Eso.

I feel sorry for those blind believers

Well seeing as you don´t care about neither NDA or your MMORPG account... Care to explain your points.

Because what i have seen so far from promo material and my time in the ESO beta

Both are "themepark" MMO´s

Wildstar have superior animations

ESO have a more open skill system

Wildstar have a lighter tone

ESO have deeper lore

Wildstar have a better housing system

ESO have a flexible class system

So to me it simply seems like it is a question of taste... And for someone who does not find ESO to be to their taste it seesm to me that WildStar might be a game for them. I think WildStar will do a lot better just because it is not carrying around a brickhouse on it´s back... ESO will always suffer due to people expecting to get a single player story in a MMO. Also ESO is so very much a ES game that in many ways it is regressing the genre.

But in some ways i agree, it is far from as bad as people here make it out to be, i just think it is unfair to compare Wildstar with it.. they share pretty much nothing beyond being MMO+s and "themepark". It would be like comparing a hardboiled egg to a choco egg... Bot are, well egg shaped and have a shell... but there is sort of where the similarities end.

Originally posted by ZagaWildstar feels like a feature-stripped version of WoW, complete with less classes, less races, less abilities, linear zones, and an art style taken from Cartoon Network to match their feature-stripped graphics engine (particle effects! wooo!).

To be honest i take the style of WildStar over a game that have animations from 1997... And bad animations at that. There is no life in any PC or NPC in ESO. They all pretty much look like robots. Not to mention the combat animations. Wildstar at least have nice smooth animations and the world look alive.

Not to mention that ESO will look like crap in a year or so... Just like any other ES game.. But this time the community will not be able to save it.

WoW looks like crap, but has lasted over 9 years

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    ESO is so much more the Wildstar could ever hope to be.
  • OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548
    Originally posted by Mpfive
    Originally posted by tawess

WoW looks like crap, but has lasted over 9 years

WoW looks better than you think. They have upgraded the graphics a bit and are going to do it again soon.

Still... I only watch people play it since i dont like the game.

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris
    Originally posted by Eighteen16
    You cannot create a succesful MMO by trying to beat Wow at their own design.

Especially when they miss the mark.

It's not the art.

It's not the skills.

It's something very basic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDESKTq73qg

No point trying to have a debate with you, with your pro-file picture:)

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    It's about time wildstar got a bit of hate. It seems they were getting away scot free there for awhile.
  • GrimfargoGrimfargo Member UncommonPosts: 59

I was very interested in Wildstar and ESO. After the last beta weekends my interest shifted to ESO.

Its a good game not an awesome one but still way better than this mess called Wildstar.

This is going to be the first game since a long time that I wont preorder (I preordered crap like Hellgate and worse)

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

Everyone has there own preferences, for me it's ESO by a large margin.

Each ESO beta/stress I got in every hour I could, and wanted more when it was over.

Wildstar I forced myself as many hours as possible, but I just can't bring myself to do it anymore. It just feels so generic with a new coat of paint. And by design the trying to be humorous with certain aspects comes across more to me as 'Kidish'

I cringe at level up, and when met the cute bunny rate with silly voices....no not for me. My kids love it though. I imagine it doing very well with a huge portion of the WOW crowd.

I want depth, environment and challenge from MMO's now, Fun is left to real life.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Wildstar superior animations?

If you were saying archeage has superior animations i would agree but wildstar animations are worse than Eso

Just lol dude just lol

We where not comparing Archage now where we. I get that you don´t like WS. But to claim that they have worse animations then ESO only shows that either A: You have no clue what you are talking about or B: You are to blinded by bias to actually see the truth.

ESO have many strong points, lore being one of the biggest and (if they can get the balance right) the open skill system put even TSW to shame. But animations have always been the weakest point in the ES games.. Not only ESO but all of them.

Now the reason i see WS animations as superiors is that they

A: Have a flow to them and they are very smooth (and since what i have seen have been dev vids i am sure they look even better now)

B: Character animations give life and personality to both NPC and PC

C: Facial animations are both expressive and easy to read.

Ball is in your corner.

This have been a good conversation

• SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190

I see many people bashing ESO.

While I m not trying to support Elder scrolls or saying that is the mesiah of mmorpgs.I recently played wildstar and well it turned to be....

Eso is a masterpiece compared to wildstar.

That's why I like to play in beta. Wildstar is on my "I passed" list.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,048

I enjoyed Wildstar and I will probably buy it when it comes out. The graphics I actually like them. Loved the fun element too.

Chamber of Chains
  • WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by Zaga

As of most recent betas:

ESO feels like a below average themepark with a lot of wasted potential. The PvP (a mix of GW2's WvW and WAR's RvR) and the above-average crafting are its only highlights.

Wildstar feels like a feature-stripped version of WoW, complete with less classes, less races, less abilities, linear zones, and an art style taken from Cartoon Network to match their feature-stripped graphics engine (particle effects! wooo!).

Haven't been replying to many posts here lately but this one made me laugh really loud.

Please explain to me what features does WoW have yet to "strip down" as Blizzard already stripped any and pretty much all of it's own content already.

I for one can't wait to get into TESO. Prob will be the last MMO I play....

• logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I enjoyed both games, they have different styles but both are fun in their own way. Everyone needs to remember you will never get that first MMO cherry to pop again. Nothing is going to be the same as your first MMO.
    I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654

I found both games to be sub-par and will be giving both a miss on release.  I got more enjoyment rolling an alt on Rift than i did participating in the TESO and WS beta.  At first I thought maybe I'm growing out of MMO's but then I remembered my joy playing the FFXIV beta and how much I was looking forward to the game.

I'm not going to write them off, I hope they do well for the players that enjoy them. 

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Jamesykai
    I found ESO pretty good. It just lacks anything unique IMO

Most new MMOs lack anything unique. Which is why it's unlikely I will play either ESO or Wildstar.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by logicbomb82
    I enjoyed both games, they have different styles but both are fun in their own way. Everyone needs to remember you will never get that first MMO cherry to pop again. Nothing is going to be the same as your first MMO.

I never enjoyed my first MMO, or second... can't remember what they were it was so long ago. EVE was my third and I loved it.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Draemos
     PvP has a scale unmatched by any game short of Eve, and improves on GW2's version in multiple ways.  

I don't want to get into the debate, but this is the one point worth mentioning.

ESO did not improve on GW2's version of PvP, it simply returned to the roots, and used the DAoC format. Parts of the old team, and people who understood a great PvP game. ESO is not particularly flashy, but the way it's built allows you to get a couple hundred people on your screen and have no lag.

GW2 thought they could take the same basic format, but "improve on it", when I look at what they did, it's like they really did not understand why people liked DAoC combat. They presented it well, but had little substance. Not to mention that with all the effects, it was a slide show for people at release. I understand it's much improved now, but ESO has that much right out of the gate.

Compare ESO PvP to DAoC, not a poorly thought out attempt at re-inventing the DAoC wheel.

Oh, and as to the topic at hand, that I really don't want to debate? WoW changed the way many people viewed MMO's, but these days the market is saturated, and with the choices, I don't think any game is a WoW-esque style of success. People these days have choices. I hope both ESO and Wildstar hit with a target audience and have enough success to convince other companies to shoot for niche markets.

This discussion has been closed.