Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Titanfall Got Me Thinking; Multi-player Worth the Price?

DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
So here's the thing with Titanfall (and other multi-player only games and games with little to no single player/re-playability)... Yes it looks fantastic and fun, don't get me wrong, and I am really debating on whether or not to grab it. Here's the thing though; Is a game like this worth the $60 price tag when all it has is multi-player? Albeit great multi-player, but what happens when the player-base dwindles to nothing? How many months of consistently good multi-player community play do I need to participate in before I say it's a good investment? Six months? A year? More? In MMOs you can usually count on the game being around for at least six months, so I guess that's a good baseline. Especially relevant now with many MMOs being free to play.

This is one of the main reasons why I don't buy into these types of games at launch (if at all). For the record I stopped buying into COD and all it's iterations years ago... Then the pitfall of course is by the time the price drops to 50% or less the community is dead, and hence the game is pointless. Take a game like the original Deus Ex. I bought that game full price when it came out on PC in 2000. No multi-player component, but I've gone back to Deus Ex over half a dozen times since it's launch and replayed it, and spent hundreds of hours exploring that game. Same could be said for even the modern Deus Ex: HR, Skyrim, The Witcher series, the list is long... So these games payed for themselves many times over in entertainment value and continue to even decades later. Hell, I spent hours playing the original X-Com recently, and that came out twenty years ago! You couldn't do that with a game like Titanfall! Then you have games like Grand Theft Auto V that have both and arguably give you even more value for your dollar and can be played for decades to come.

With many games I will do the single player campaign and then be done with it, like in Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3 and Dishonored, and then go back to my MMOs. So again I ask, why are we paying $60 (or $80+) for a game with only multi-player (Titanfall), or with basically what amounts to no single player mode at all (Most modern military shooters like COD)? It's a hard hurdle for me to get past when deciding whether or not I want to spend my money, especially when I play so many ongoing games like MMOs. I can't be the only one that think about this...

-------------------------
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

Comments

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    The answer with titan fall is a solid no cause its only 6v6. Not very multiplayer for a multi player only title

Steam: Neph

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Got the game already preordered. March 11image
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Good point OP.

The thing is, you have to know your own gaming habits and set a certain threshold, when you consider that the game has paid off. Sometimes, some new game might even surprise you.

For example, I've bought Battlefield 4 just to play it occasionaly with a friend of mine, but managed to get almost 150 hours played. I don't play it anymore, but I think I got good entertainment value for the money I invested.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

We'll see. Got into the beta just yesterday evening; I'll be giving it a try later.

However my initial thoughts are similar to yours. The lack of any sort of actual single player campaign has made me extremely hesitant to plunk down full retail price for what looks to be half a game. Yes, I'm aware that there's some kind of MP campaign-hybrid-mode-thingy, but I have no idea how expansive it is, or even fully how it's expected to work.

Time will tell I suppose. I'll most likely be waiting for some reviews from both professional reviewers and players before purchase on this one.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

The answer is no for me.

PvP is fun for the first couple of days and then what?

It's the same old same old, not worth a full price tag

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    In comparison with your singleplayer campaign experiance the multiplayer part can be played for a much longer time. Regardless you might not like the multiplayer part but countless of people do. So that's makes it worth having that price tag regardless personal view.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

At this point I am not sure if it is worth the pricetag, the game is fun but depends on the person. Can they login everyday or every other day and still enjoy the game? Time will tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp2W_4H_Y2o

I did enjoy that game mode though, went straight to the point lol (almost). I am just wondering how much of the game we haven't seen as this is just the beta.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    In comparison with your singleplayer campaign experiance the multiplayer part can be played for a much longer time. Regardless you might not like the multiplayer part but countless of people do. So that's makes it worth having that price tag regardless personal view.

Only for as long as there are a reasonable number of people playing the game still... which for most games other than a COD, TF2 or Starcraft is about 6 months max. After that you're lucky to find enough people to play with even at peak prime times. Regardless, the main point is that If you can pay the same $60 for a game with an extensive and replayable single player experience AND a rich, detailed and fun multi-player experience, how can a game like Titanfall, with only a multi-player experience considered of the same value?

"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

6v6 only ???

Sounds overpriced for 60$ playing on tiny maps  with only 6v6 players.

I did watch a livestream, someone was playing the beta. I wasnt that much impressed, it did looke like Battlefield just with robots. Burst cannon did own so far I could see. Nah the game isnt that special if its only 6v6.

I would wait a bit if you like to buy it, the price will drop anyway soon. There is more hype than substance currently.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Open Beta today.

Xbox One is already in Open Beta and the PC Version should open up sometime today.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I didn't have to sign an NDA to download and play the Titanfall beta on XB1.

So...

It's really, really awesome.

However, I am not pre-ordering until I hear more about the campaign... which is kind of multiplayer too? I'm confused.

I'd rather spend 60$ on a game with a replayable campaign, maybe some co-op, not just multiplayer...

With games like Dragon Age 3, The Witcher 3, Destiny, Final Fantasy XV, Halo XB1, D3: Reaper of Souls... much more for the money, IMO

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

I think it's funny people complain about the player count, since when did player count correlate with how good multiplayer is?

On topic though I have no problem paying for a multiplayer only game. Most games I buy for the multiplayer only, I've barely touched the SP in a Battlefield or CoD game. That being said I would expect it to be very well done with a ton of content at launch since they spent all their resources on the multiplayer.

In Titanfalls case I thought it was a fun shooter, but I was hopping it would be a deeper experience and have some MOBA elements or something. I guess it's my fault for expecting something that it wasn't trying to be. 

• Ryoshi1Ryoshi1 Member Posts: 139

$60 for 6v6 and some wonky ai (to make it look packed..srs) on a few skirmish maps.. no thanks. And it's multiplayer only, no single campaign making eso imperial edition looks like a penny grab :D Shows little longevity, wait for sale ftw!

/watchedbetanotimpressed

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Ryoshi1

$60 for 6v6 and some wonky ai (to make it look packed..srs) on a few skirmish maps.. no thanks. And it's multiplayer only, no single campaign making eso imperial edition looks like a penny grab :D Shows little longevity, wait for sale ftw!

/watchedbetanotimpressed

It is 6v6 for a reason.

Any more would be way, way too much due to the Titans and the very, very fast pace of movement.

The dozen or so NPCs do far more than "make it looked packed" they serve a very valid purpose.

You can obviously tell who has played the game versus who is just repeating something they heard on the internet to sound cool.

That being said, I am probably NOT buying Titanfall, not because it is bad, in fact quite the opposite, I just don't know if it is worth $60 because I know that I am not the type to spend countless hours in any FPS multiplayer anymore.

Haven't really done so since Halo 3.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    i dont really care how good it is iv whiped my hands of lobby based arena PvP,  i was kinda upset when i learned tht game was going to be nothing mor then that with "maybe" a curtasy story tacted on.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Is not Multi Player the same as MMO. And is not MMO the same as Multi Player =) Who knows.
  • Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    It got me thinking as well, I couldn't help buy wonder when the flow of liquid shit we know as "new" games coming out will cease. Honestly how many times can they shit out COD with a different skin before people finally stop buying the overpriced garbage.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    "Is Titanfall worth months of my time?" is the question you should be asking, because I hope your life isn't so sad dozens of hours of it are worth less than 60$. 60$ for months of entertainment is negligible in most first world countries.
  • DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    Sorry, I live on a time and money budget because I am an adult and have responsibilities, so I don't like to waste either time or money on things that aren't worth it...

Member Since March 2004

• srsnoobsrsnoob Member Posts: 44
    In an interview I heard one of the lead developers say that there will be Titanfall 2. It seems pretty popular now so I think there will be a good community for some time to come. My experience with multiplayer fps is that you can always find a server to play on. If I wanted to I could find a server to play Call of Duty 2 (2005) on right now. There's another game I used to play called Wolfenstien: Enemy Territory. It's a multiplayer only game that was released completely for free in 2003 and you can still find servers. I don't think Titanfall allows player run servers, so maybe it won't last as long, but you should still be able to play for a few years.