Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Complaining about the starter area's?

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Ice-Queen
    The starter areas are as dull as tombs, it's a valid complaint people have about them.

Not only that but it actually takes a good 4-6 hours to reach level 10 when the game picks up.  The first 3 zones (counting Cold Harbor) is absolutely some of the worst MMO gaming I've ever witnessed in 14 years+ of playing MMO's.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Jockan
    I was so immersed into the game I never noticed anything wrong with the starter area.

This

Never expected to go in to a game and be the best at everything right from the start. Today we have the "I want it now" and "I want it free" crowd so anything that takes any time is always going to be looked down on. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I was so immersed into the game I never noticed anything wrong with the starter area.

Same.

Also....

... grabbed 5 skyshards for (together with the 1 from Coldharbor) 2 skill points=especially useful early. 

... used the shit-ton of lockpicks I found in Coldharbor to get the hang of lockpicking and picked a least 10 chests found in the more remote areas...little islands and such = geared up

... used the provisioning recipes I found in Coldharbor to make several 30 minute health, magika or stamina buffs... provisioning takes using any campfire you find + about 1 second per recipe... the mats were everyweher from drops and containers... those buffs are mighty handy when you're a weakling.

But to each their own... the more people in a hurry to leave, the more chests for me :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• reggiemwreggiemw Member Posts: 31
    Didnt think the tutorial Island were bad. They were small sure and alot of people that knowt he elderscrolls series expect they can do whatever they want right away. Thats what i see to be the main reason of people's complaint ? That they felt restricted. I found the Island large enough still with plenty exploration and gave me a nice chance to mine ores, check how the crafting disciplines work etc. I wasnt bothered at all with it but i must say once you reach the lvl 10 area it suddenly feels way more explorable.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by gestalt11
    Originally posted by Elikal

Personally I liked the Starter Islands. They had interesting stories going on which introduced you to the world and faction. I dunno why people felt the islands were lame and they just wanted to leave. *shrug*

Cold hearbor was lame. I wish we could skip that after doing it once for every follow up character.

Tell someone they can't something and they will try to do it. 

Fact of the matter is if you COULD have left the island less people would have tried to leave it.  People are funny that way.

lol it is funny. I actually am with Elikal on this one, but I don't understand why they don't make it optional for those that don't want training, lower the requirement of PVP to like level 6 (saving them a lot of time if they want to get in), if you decide to skip you listen to a little cut scene (which you can also skip) giving you a rehash of just the main story if you want to listen to it, then allow people to assign the skill points they would have gotten just by leveling. Of course you will have missed out on some shards, but thats the negative of skipping. It would be optional :-).

There Is Always Hope!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Let me make clear even though I said thsoe 5 to 7 hours are meaningless they were ment as in time. As I really enjoye'd the starter area's. Perhaps I got in with this Elder Scroll mindset and while accepting quests I was free to explore and come across unexpected adventure's, quests, treasure's/maps. The game really suprised me straight from the beginning, unlike most MMORPG's released the last several years. And being both a Elder Scrolls fan and a MMORPG fan or just overal a gamer I can't wait till release.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450

I agree the reviews from people who never left the starter islands are worthless in my opinion.

But having said that, I think ESO took it a little too far.  For 2 of the factions there is the starter prison, then a starter island, then ANOTHER starter island, then finally the main land / real game.  I think they could have cut out one of those islands to help a lot with the initial impressions.  Even so I don't think they are nearly as bad as people are making them out to be, but they do pale in comparison to the main game.

• isanderSWGisanderSWG Member Posts: 37
    I  felt kind of silly after because I rushed through the Cold Harbor area...because well the NPC leading me said I needed to rush...
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Often in the first hour a player makes a decision on a game.This game takes 10 hours or more to open up. For a game that wants you to pay month after month and doesn't grab you right away...its stunning.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Have you actually played the areas people are complaining about?

I have been playing MMOs for over 15 years now, and not once have I ever been so tempted to quit at such a low level.  It is hands down the worst newbie experience I have ever played, this includes Korean grinders.

The AvA was good and has promise, but good god they made it hard to get to that point.  I seriously doubt anyone who isn't a ES fan or a MMO veteran would put up with that shit just to get to the good bits.

Edit: Also I have played and loved every single ES game since Daggerfall, and I still thought the starter area was shit. For those saying it had an ES slow start feel, I just did not get that.  I felt boxed in for far longer than I ever did in single player ES, following a mundane storyline where even the voice actors sound bored with it.  If it was just Coldharbor and then you got full freedom, it wouldn't have been so bad, that would have been the equivalent of other ES games prison areas.    

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Fearum

This

Never expected to go in to a game and be the best at everything right from the start. Today we have the "I want it now" and "I want it free" crowd so anything that takes any time is always going to be looked down on. 

Nice ad hominem. I had no complaints about the level of progression nor the amount of work to get stuff and I don't see many complaining about that either. The fact that it takes hours to hit level 10 is actually one of the games good qualities to me because my first MMORPG where I actually invested years into was FFXI and leveling in that game is not a quick thing so it's something that actually grew on me when compared to other MMORPG's of today. 

I never expected to be the best at anything, but what I did expect was to be entertained and I wasn't. While the hours to get to level 10 as an example do not bother me, what did bother me was that those hours were boring and filled with fed-ex types of quests that your typical themepark has been doing. And no, quests like that do not particularly bother me but ESO delivery was pretty bland. I do understand that to many the game opens up afterwards but I think it is a disservice to the players if they designed the game this way because to me, if the game is this bad early on then it is an indication of what to expect later on. But hey, it is so much easier to attack the people with different opinions rather than addressing the issue. It is not a problem to all, but apparently more than a few agree that the game has a poor early experience,

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    If you actually read and care about the stories, it's not that bad. As mentioned before, the starting area introduced you to the background story of your role in Tamriel. I know that nowadays, 90% of players tend to skip quest texts and scenes, but blaming the game for that is just..
    Originally posted by inemosz
    If you actually read and care about the stories, it's not that bad. As mentioned before, the starting area introduced you to the background story of your role in Tamriel. I know that nowadays, 90% of players tend to skip quest texts and scenes, but blaming the game for that is just..

I love reading quests and getting lore tid-bits, with this game however I couldn't skip the dialogue fast enough, it was just bad.

• macromastiamacromastia Member UncommonPosts: 23
    They have already started rebuilding the starting areas 1-10 due to feedback. Don't be surprised when you try the game after release and have a completely different experience than beta ;)
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by inemosz

I love reading quests and getting lore tid-bits, with this game however I couldn't skip the dialogue fast enough, it was just bad.

Yep. While I didn't skip all of the story, a lot of it was not that engrossing. Considering that the story scenes made up such a small portion of the time invested in the game thus far then I can only assume my opinion was derived from the gameplay and not the story. The game does not start off on a strong note and blaming the players for that is just..

Originally posted by macromastia
    They have already started rebuilding the starting areas 1-10 due to feedback. Don't be surprised when you try the game after release and have a completely different experience than beta ;)

This is news to me and good news at that. I know I gave feedback after each beta and it was honest and not very flattering. I haven't written the game off and hope there is more that comes out about the game that actually makes me want to invest. Even free, I couldn't force myself to play and instead opted to catch up on household chores last weekend rather than enter another beta for ESO. 

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

You know... When I look back at several games from my MMO career.

Asheron's Call

Dark Age of Camelot

Star Wars Galaxies

World of Warcraft

Not a single one of them "grabbed" me that well during the first hour... but I ended up playing each of them for a very long time.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    The starter areas are as dull as tombs, it's a valid complaint people have about them.

Yeah, after playing the opening PvE levels, I'm scared that they all will be that dull.  I fear that there will be no open world danger.  I struggled to force myself through two hours of the quest driven hand holding opening levels.  Maybe there will be more open world PvE danger later (as we know there will be no open world PvP danger).  

I skipped the last open beta weekend as the quest driven no open world or danger really bored me to tears.  I do have hope for the game that they can make it more of a virtual world than what it currently is.

I have been playing MMOs for over 15 years now, and not once have I ever been so tempted to quit at such a low level.  It is hands down the worst newbie experience I have ever played, this includes Korean grinders.

The AvA was good and has promise, but good god they made it hard to get to that point.  I seriously doubt anyone who isn't a ES fan or a MMO veteran would put up with that shit just to get to the good bits.

Edit: Also I have played and loved every single ES game since Daggerfall, and I still thought the starter area was shit. For those saying it had an ES slow start feel, I just did not get that.  I felt boxed in for far longer than I ever did in single player ES, following a mundane storyline where even the voice actors sound bored with it.  If it was just Coldharbor and then you got full freedom, it wouldn't have been so bad, that would have been the equivalent of other ES games prison areas.    

Agreed 100% and anyone who says otherwise is shining sunshine where it doesn't belong or is a fanboy. 

For Pete's sake people, not everything's 100% hunky dory with the game and to pretend it is just shows the level of selfishness that permeates the MMO genre today.  At least have the common decency to not be so naïve that everything is fine when there has been countless posts, reviews and NDA breeches to the contrary. 

Trust me, it's not going to hurt you to agree with some of the complaints.  In fact it might do you some good and open your eyes and prolong your future in the game.  Because lets face it how many of you have been the exact same way in the past in other games but yet no long play those other games because after the newness wore off, the luster dulled and game became repetitive you saw all those negatives start to shine through?  I'd bet most of you would because I was that person.  100% onboard defensive about a particular game and refused to believe any of the negativity.  It destroyed my will to win when those negatives were amplified by my boredom of the new game.  Try it, I promise it might work for you and not only that it might get the game changed prior to launch.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159

That's a great idea.

Originally posted by Mardukk

Yeah, after playing the opening PvE levels, I'm scared that they all will be that dull.  I fear that there will be no open world danger.  I struggled to force myself through two hours of the quest driven hand holding opening levels.  Maybe there will be more open world PvE danger later (as we know there will be no open world PvP danger).  

I skipped the last open beta weekend as the quest driven no open world or danger really bored me to tears.  I do have hope for the game that they can make it more of a virtual world than what it currently is.

I played 3 Beta Events and every single one of them I stopped after the first night because the starting experience was that bad. 

I even started the same path during the last beta event a few weeks back.  Started a new character.  Played for 2 hours, got bored and logged off.  Didn't even tough it on the Saturday.  It actually took a RIP on my Nemesis Cast on Crit Spectral Throw Shadow in Path of Exile late Saturday night to even log in again out of boredom.  Sunday I woke up and told myself.  Slog through those early levels and see if the game opened up and started to grow on you.  I mean it's not like I had anything else to do that day and I really really want this game to be my next MMO so I said what the hell and went with it. 

Now I'm still not happy I died on my level 77 Shadow (Hardcore) but I did get to see first hand that some of the truths about the latter stages of the game were true.  And thanks to some persistent folks on a certain beta leaking site I was finally able to see that glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.  The game does get better and I intend on giving it a shot but I seriously ever doubt I'd be able to wade through those first 10 levels ever again because they are that bad.

Originally posted by Fappuccino

That's a great idea.

I'd love to see that. Cold Harbor for 20-30 mins and then BAM!  You're on the mainland, skipping those first 2 zones completely.

Originally posted by Jyiiga

You know... When I look back at several games from my MMO career.

Asheron's Call

Dark Age of Camelot

Star Wars Galaxies

World of Warcraft

Not a single one of them "grabbed" me that well during the first hour... but I ended up playing each of them for a very long time.

Complete opposite.  Every single game that I've stuck to past a few months really drew me in the first few minutes in the game.  I've yet to play an MMO longer then a month where it did not.

Asheron's Call: (4 straight years,14 on and off over the years) The very first time I warped into the world through the portal field I knew this would be amazing.

DAoC:  (2 years) The moment my Cleric killed it's first Spriggen I knew it was going to be fun.

WoW: (6+ years) the very first time I saw an exclamation mark over the Undead Crypt Keeper denoting a quest I knew I was hooked.

Originally posted by macromastia

Good news if it is true.  I think they would be silly to ignore the criticism given the large amount of players saying so.

• EpiconEpicon Member Posts: 121

The people who don't like the starting area 1-10, are usually people who don't like this kind of MMO, Don't understand how to play the game (this is not a rushing to end game, and sitting around in a city waiting for a que pop, it's a stop and smell the roses game), don't care about lore, and just want instant Michael Bay, CoD, stuff.

Every example isn't 100% always true of course, but there is good news for both sides. The side that hates the game? Good news. There are other new MMOs coming out. Go to them. The side that likes it? They don't have to deal with the haters, because most will quit. Win/Win.

"What tastes like purple?"