Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It boggles my mind that reviewers are complainting about death penalty

Upon watching couple Cyrodill first impression/previews/beta reviews by "gaming journalists" such as Rev3, Angryjoe and more, i am shocked that they were unanimously claiming the death penalty is too harsh, because it requires players to spent a COUPLE minutes to run back to the battlefield.

For me this is insane, the death penalty in ESO is like a slap to the hand, minimal item damage that anyone can repairs easily, it sent players back to the CLOSEST keep, on top of that traveling Cyrodill is incredibly easy due to the teleportation system, and yet people complaints about it, I wish more people had experienced the thrill of staying alive in pvp in games like Shadowbane, DAOC or Lineage 2, i might be the minority but i enjoy PVP a whole lot moire  when death actually hurts, i understand EXP loss might be too harsh but i hate t he lack of meaningful death penalty in modern MMO like GW2 and to certain extent ESO.

Comments

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Death penalty? That is ridiculous.  There shouldn't even be death in the game.  I'm gonna die in real life, why should I have to worry about dying in a game, amirite? 
  • Originally posted by moshra
    Death penalty? That is ridiculous.  There shouldn't even be death in the game.  I'm gonna die in real life, why should I have to worry about dying in a game, amirite? 

There is a death penalty in real life.  You get taxed for it and its quite high too and it doubles up on what you already paid in taxes for your stuff.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

in videos like those. the authors look for anything to complain about.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I actually think in most themeparks the death penalty is too weak :-). 

There Is Always Hope!

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289

Yah, the death penalty is not harsh at all.  

I just think arena / BG's have spoiled everyone into the mindset that you should be back in action no more than 30 sec. after you die.

As a poster in a different thread very correctly pointed out, if you could quick rez and be in the fight immediately, it would only support zerging around.

The way it's designed, you have to be more coordinated and cautious. If you expect losses, at least be prepared to res your allies.

The run back to a fight is minutes - even less with a mount.  If that is too much, don't play. simple.

• Sunnyguy46Sunnyguy46 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by gestalt11
    Originally posted by moshra

There is a death penalty in real life.  You get taxed for it and its quite high too and it doubles up on what you already paid in taxes for your stuff.

Only if your estate is large enough. The vast majority pay nothing....because we are poor...

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    I suggest a permanent item deterioration, the armors or weapons can only be repair certain times before it breaks permanently.
  • LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by muffins89

in videos like those. the authors look for anything to complain about.

I'm pretty sure you just described the gaming community as a whole for the most part.

• rminter48rminter48 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by Ineveraskforthis
    I suggest a permanent item deterioration, the armors or weapons can only be repair certain times before it breaks permanently.

Why stop there?

I've played a game were there was a chance you could have something dropped something from your inventory if you were killed for all to pick up.

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by rminter48

Why stop there?

I've played a game were there was a chance you could have something dropped something from your inventory if you were killed for all to pick up.

Shadowbane....I miss SB so much.

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289

Why stop there?

Might as well add eating, drinking, getting sick, or being cold.

This should be Elder DayZ Online

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by pmcubed

Why stop there?

How about going to the bathroom?  If you don't relieve yourself regularly your character will start to move around constantly and you get a huge accuracy debuff.

• Originally posted by udon

Why stop there?

How about going to the bathroom?  If you don't relieve yourself regularly your character will start to move around constantly and you get a huge accuracy debuff.

And when Werewolves make you run in fear you should poop your pants and make it easier for them to track you.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Why stop there?

Shadowbane....I miss SB so much.

Aren't they resurrecting it? Well, at least in China... but if it performs well over there, who knows.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04/23/changyou-plans-to-bring-shadowbane-back-in-china/

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• rminter48rminter48 Member UncommonPosts: 19

And when Werewolves make you run in fear you should poop your pants and make it easier for them to track you.

And to top it all off the player who is crowned as emperor should immediately die if hit in the knee by an arrow.

• Eighteen16Eighteen16 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I wonder what these people would think of death penalty in Dayz. Oh you got sniped and killed in an instant, lose the gear you spent 40 hours collecting and spend an hour running just to get to the first good loot spot where you may or may not find something. 
  • HakulaniHakulani Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by moshra

If there wasn't even a death in the game, it would be pointless to play. What's so fun about not getting killed. I would never play a game like that. That is just straight stupidity there. 

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864
    I've watched some Angry Joe reviews on MMO's and it's quite obvious he's not an MMO gamer. He should stick to consoles and stop swaying people from a genre he doesn't have an interest in.
  • spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Why stop there?

Nope, this is actually how you play Skyrim with the best mods.

• RedluciferRedlucifer Member Posts: 112

without player consequence PvP is always meaningless and no running back doesn't count as a consequence

AGREE OP

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    The death penalty is one of the few things I like about the game. Most the older mmropgs had them. A lot of them were far harsher then this. UO, EQ, AC, SB and DAOC to name a few.
  • SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Originally posted by Tazlor
    I've watched some Angry Joe reviews on MMO's and it's quite obvious he's not an MMO gamer. He should stick to consoles and stop swaying people from a genre he doesn't have an interest in.

^This

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    In the modern day and casual gaming environment I am not sure anyone can come up with a worthy death penalty anyone will accept, find valuable to the play experience, or not be circumvented by abuse of some play mechanic. It is what it is. An excuse to run for a drink or taco before respawn. 
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    In the modern day and casual gaming environment I am not sure anyone can come up with a worthy death penalty anyone will accept, find valuable to the play experience, or not be circumvented by abuse of some play mechanic. It is what it is. An excuse to run for a drink or taco before respawn. 

Separate servers.  Unfortunately using this method will make us realize how few of us actually support death penalties because those would be the first servers to get merged.

• GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169

It sucks?

First  no body want to push in front !!! every one is afraid to die!

Being melee you will die a lot you will hate Cyrodil

in beta After getting to lvl 10 we rushed in Wvw I died like 20 times  SOme guy was keeping screaming to push. We won and took keep. Guess what nobody resurrected me I died 10 time in that fight every single type I was rushing the gate with Dreagon leap.

after we took it no body even stoped to resurrect dead people. in practice it's horrable  it's ok if you're a range mage a selfish bastard.

But if you're melee you will hate it

it's even more punishing that people don't resurrect other people because of EXPENSIVE soul gems ...