Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The worst melee combat ever.

Comments

• Mayor_HaggarMayor_Haggar Member Posts: 12
    No one can say whether this is a SWTOR waiting to happen, but I must say melee with a two hand is so boring. I was a templar and found myself using magic attacks like 90% of the time until I found a combination of dual-wielding weapons I liked. After that, melee/magic attacks were about 50/50. 
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Ridrith
    it's boring and uninteresting enough for me to not want to play 

So it makes you not want to play, yet you've been playing it for over 6 months.   Why?

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• TalinthisTalinthis Member UncommonPosts: 26

TESO.  I've been in the beta and playing since mid-2013 and have had a lot of experience playing through the beta, different classes, races, starting areas when given the chance and more.  My main problem with this game, and damn is it a big issue for me since it involves the type of character that I play in almost every MMO/RPG is that the melee combat is HORRIBLE.  Truly one of the most boring, unengaging experiences I've ever had in a MMO.  What's the issue with melee combat?  First and foremost the animations are uninteresting and boring, combat feels like a chore when you're doing the same two animations over and over.  What truly seals the deal however is the impact of melee attacks, as a geared out dragon knight when I charge forward and swing a massive great-sword at somebody's face and it connects I expect to know it.  I want to see them stagger, to make a MOVE, to let me know that they we've been hit.  The only thing you get is seeing their HP bar go down.  There is no impact, no force behind melee combat.  They don't stagger, they don't move, they aren't being thrown around by powerful attacks that would cleave a normal man in half.  It's just bad, and it's boring and uninteresting enough for me to not want to play or pay for this game.

Next SWTOR incoming.

sounds like MMO's arent your thing. what game staggers enemies every single time you swing a weapon?

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407

Worst melee combat ever?

Really?  Ever?

SWTOR combat at launch was right up there, but it was smoothed out in a reasonable time...even that wasn't the worst.

I'm not sure the OP knows what the word 'worst' means..

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Originally posted by gestalt11
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Boreil
    Its melee combat is better than any of the others out there like it right now, Tera/Raiderz/Neverwinter etc etc .

Better than Tera? i completely disagree.

Unless in your opinion awkward animations and sluggish combat is 'better'.

Why even bother comparing to Tera?  Its like saying Dark Souls combat is superior to Tekken.  They are too different to bother comparing.

I disagree, games like Tera, Vindictus, D&DO, NWO and even this game have a very similar combat system and hell you could say its very similar to even Dark Soul's :-P Saying its like comparing it to Tekken is ludicris nonsense.  I also have to say I'm indifferent on whether I agree or disagree with the op as I find those other games mentioned to be about the same but in some ocasions yes they can also seem more boring.

imageimage

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    This often repeated complaint is not even on my radar of things to complain about. It is simply, plenty good enough (at least with my preferred DW melee) and thank god they don't used the crazy, over the top, Eastern MMO FX crazed animations.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Gonna have to agree. BUT have you tried the bow combat? Its down right atrocious...

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710

TESO.  I've been in the beta and playing since mid-2013 and have had a lot of experience playing through the beta, different classes, races, starting areas when given the chance and more.  My main problem with this game, and damn is it a big issue for me since it involves the type of character that I play in almost every MMO/RPG is that the melee combat is HORRIBLE.  Truly one of the most boring, unengaging experiences I've ever had in a MMO.  What's the issue with melee combat?  First and foremost the animations are uninteresting and boring, combat feels like a chore when you're doing the same two animations over and over.  What truly seals the deal however is the impact of melee attacks, as a geared out dragon knight when I charge forward and swing a massive great-sword at somebody's face and it connects I expect to know it.  I want to see them stagger, to make a MOVE, to let me know that they we've been hit.  The only thing you get is seeing their HP bar go down.  There is no impact, no force behind melee combat.  They don't stagger, they don't move, they aren't being thrown around by powerful attacks that would cleave a normal man in half.  It's just bad, and it's boring and uninteresting enough for me to not want to play or pay for this game.

Next SWTOR incoming.

Lol so your expecting realism from an MMO?  Its called fantasy for a reason.  The sound effects lone are more then enough to "feel" like your hitting them.  The melee combat inthis game is actually quite challenging and damn fun because of that.  Try blocking and see what happens from an attack.  The player/mob gets staggered and stunned.  Havent seen that in an MMO... Their combat is damn fun, but hey its all opinion.  

I have to ask though.  What was your motive or reason for posting this?  This post has absolutely no deal being here.  Seriously man...  Its hilarious watching people complain about combat animations when WoW, the single most successful MMO in history has some of THEE worst animation in a game Ive ever seen in my many years of playing these, and on top fo that, Wildstars are just as bad and that games getting all sorts of hype for some reason god doesnt even know...

Im starting to see a massive trend with MMO players.  Theyre a bunch of "followers"  No leaders or people who can form their own opinions but they choose to follow someone elses... Pretty sad.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Combat is slow and clunky. It has no feeling of weight or impact.  The cross-hairs are to far to the right. Yeah you can zoom out a lot, but I like it closer.

Its not awful and is tolerable. FF or Secret World is much worse for example.  But lets not pretend is the greatest thing ever.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Its melee combat is better than any of the others out there like it right now, Tera/Raiderz/Neverwinter etc etc .

Not better than Darkfall, but yeah better than all those you mentioned.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Gonna have to agree. BUT have you tried the bow combat? Its down right atrocious...

I did. And it didn't bother me. I ran around most of the time with a NB using both bow and DW. I was more concerned with downing groups of 4 or 5 solo in public dungeons, or raining arrows, rooting and knocking back other players in Cyrodiil than what the animations look like.

I play an archer in Skyrim so I'm perfectly aware of its superb bow play. I never expected to have that here and it isn't here but it feels just fine to me.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Yup it's definitely better to stand still and press 30+ buttons all over your screen. Well, that's the real combat, isn't it.
  • marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Nacario
    Is there any feedback from devs saying that theyre gonna improve feeling of melee combat?

Let's just put this to bed right now.  The starting areas are not gonna change in any substantive way and neither is combat feel.

There is simply no way that a game in the later stages of Beta with its NDA lifted and a hard release deadline can do this without risking completely destroying their game with bugs.

I agree. I have been in a LOT of betas, and I have yet to see a single game change very much at all from beta to release. It just doesn't happen. I am pretty confident in saying that the combat it has right now in beta is what you are going to get at release.

• Originally posted by Urvan
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Better than Tera? i completely disagree.

Unless in your opinion awkward animations and sluggish combat is 'better'.

Why even bother comparing to Tera?  Its like saying Dark Souls combat is superior to Tekken.  They are too different to bother comparing.

I disagree, games like Tera, Vindictus, D&DO, NWO and even this game have a very similar combat system and hell you could say its very similar to even Dark Soul's :-P Saying its like comparing it to Tekken is ludicris nonsense.  I also have to say I'm indifferent on whether I agree or disagree with the op as I find those other games mentioned to be about the same but in some ocasions yes they can also seem more boring.

Tera is way more like a beat-em-up combo-based game than it is like TESO.  DDO sure thats  similar to TESO, although still quite different simply because it has collision.  But TERA is clearly heavily in the asian trend of combo based beat em up type combat.

• Originally posted by marcuslm
    Originally posted by Nacario
    Is there any feedback from devs saying that theyre gonna improve feeling of melee combat?

Let's just put this to bed right now.  The starting areas are not gonna change in any substantive way and neither is combat feel.

There is simply no way that a game in the later stages of Beta with its NDA lifted and a hard release deadline can do this without risking completely destroying their game with bugs.

I agree. I have been in a LOT of betas, and I have yet to see a single game change very much at all from beta to release. It just doesn't happen. I am pretty confident in saying that the combat it has right now in beta is what you are going to get at release.

This isn't to say some animations or bugs may not get fixed of course.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

You must be joking.

I consider it slightly worse then Tera because I am not a fan of long winding animations that root you to the ground.  Raiderz and Neverwinter are some of the most fun, engaging, visceral and fast paced action combat in the business.  It's as if I am actually playing a Twitch based FPS but with melee.  I understand some people like slower combat but slow sucks comparable to fast.

ESO's Combat, especially bow and melee are horribly slow, lack weight, and have rigid non flowing animations.  The combat is easily the worse aspect of the game IMO.  So much so that it still stands a rather high chance of complete failure because I am not the only one to mention it's horrible combat.  With that being said, the Staff animations are pretty decent and about the opnly thing worthy of todays generation of combat animations.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246

Melee combat is definitely not very good. Hopefully their engine will allow them to rectify this without a large development cycle.

Hopefully they are using an engine that will allow them to rapidly make sweeping changes to the game. It would be ashamed if they are using an engine like SWTOR that requires a massive development cycle.

• darkwarhammedarkwarhamme Member UncommonPosts: 55

One thing I loved about the melee combat was making sneak-power attacks, you knock the enemy prone. That is a pretty satisfying response to me. Combat is going to be what you do with it. If all you do is spam attacks, then it is going to look shallow. If you block, riposte, use abilities, and sneak attack then it really adds to the combat.

If you play this like a normal MMO you will probably disappointed. Combat looks to be much more interactive than other games, however it can be hard to tell at such early levels for most people.

Originally posted by Ryowulf

Combat is slow and clunky. It has no feeling of weight or impact.  The cross-hairs are to far to the right. Yeah you can zoom out a lot, but I like it closer.

Its not awful and is tolerable. FF or Secret World is much worse for example.  But lets not pretend is the greatest thing ever.

I am holding out hope that Modders will be able to customize the UI to place the cursor above the head.  I too am used to a more close up of my character in 3rd person and that reticule so far over the shoulder is immersion breaking for me.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ZeroPointNRGZeroPointNRG Member Posts: 70

The reason that regular blows don't stagger your opponent is because stagger is an actual game mechanic. You have to properly time the blocking of power attacks to stagger an enemy.

In PvP, if all melee blows caused even a little knock-back or stagger, that would be fairly ridiculous. You'd essentially be taking a regular attack and making it a spammable interrupt that doesn't cost resources and has no cool-down. That would be crazy. 

As far as the melee attack animations are concerned, I'm okay with them. Long overly-involved animations, (like Aion), are completely ridiculous. Not saying that's necessarily what the OP is asking for, but it's certainly not my thing. 

The melee combat does feel a little "floaty", it's nowhere near the worst ever though. 

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by azzamasin

You must be joking.

I consider it slightly worse then Tera because I am not a fan of long winding animations that root you to the ground.  Raiderz and Neverwinter are some of the most fun, engaging, visceral and fast paced action combat in the business.  It's as if I am actually playing a Twitch based FPS but with melee.  I understand some people like slower combat but slow sucks comparable to fast.

ESO's Combat, especially bow and melee are horribly slow, lack weight, and have rigid non flowing animations.  The combat is easily the worse aspect of the game IMO.  So much so that it still stands a rather high chance of complete failure because I am not the only one to mention it's horrible combat.  With that being said, the Staff animations are pretty decent and about the opnly thing worthy of todays generation of combat animations.

FPS is not for everyone.  If you say an MMO has FPS like gameplay to me...that game has failed instantly.

On that note, I argue then that Neverwinter and Raiderz has some of the WORST combat out there....

Originally posted by darkwarhamme

One thing I loved about the melee combat was making sneak-power attacks, you knock the enemy prone. That is a pretty satisfying response to me. Combat is going to be what you do with it. If all you do is spam attacks, then it is going to look shallow. If you block, riposte, use abilities, and sneak attack then it really adds to the combat.

If you play this like a normal MMO you will probably disappointed. Combat looks to be much more interactive than other games, however it can be hard to tell at such early levels for most people.

I'll agree it's very interactive and that might be it's only saving grace but you have to admit the animations lack fluidity, weight and feel.  This game should of used Motion Capture for it's animations and added in some amount of contact shuddering to give the sense of weight.

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by Skeeter50
    Originally posted by pmcubed

Have you ever blocked a heavy attack and retaliated with your own heavy attack?

It's pretty awesome

But but that requires player skill, i need a hotbar block counter button.

+1

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by DSWBeef

I did. And it didn't bother me. I ran around most of the time with a NB using both bow and DW. I was more concerned with downing groups of 4 or 5 solo in public dungeons, or raining arrows, rooting and knocking back other players in Cyrodiil than what the animations look like.

I play an archer in Skyrim so I'm perfectly aware of its superb bow play. I never expected to have that here and it isn't here but it feels just fine to me.

Yeah archery and staffs effectively operate the same way in ESO.  They are the three ranged weapons and they all lock so people shouldn't expect full-on archery-sim.  Sad, I was looking forward to that as it's my favorite combat in DarkFall and Skyrim.  But oh well, I'll likely be using a destro staff instead.

• kujiikujii Member UncommonPosts: 190
    I enjoyed all aspects of casting, however, I really believed straight melee attacking could be much improved.The Block and Stagger was really nice and engaging, I hope that melee combat can be made the same.