Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is no global AH in ESO: Interesting economic design ?

SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I've not really been digging-up much info about ESO until quite recently, so the following may be common knowledge to everyone here. I was quite surprised to discover this:

• There is no public global or local Auction House in ESO.
  • Players who don't belong to a player guild can only trade directly with other players via a trade window OR via ingame mail (which apparently has a built-in Cash-on-Delivery (COD) mechanism).
  • There are no player shops or vendors, so no way to advertise your wares other than spamming chat.
  • A player guild that conquers a keep in PVP in Cyrodiil can open a public shop in that keep for as long as they control the keep. Any player in the game can buy from that shop, but only guild members can list items for sale.
  • There are at least 18 keeps in each PVP campaign in Cyrodiil that can be "owned" by guilds, with each guild only allowed to claim ownership of ONE keep at a time (?). Players can visit multiple campaigns (by guesting), so there will potentially be many guild-run shops they can access.
  • All player guilds have a "built-in" private shop which can be accessed by all members of the guild via the guild interface ingame, so guild members can sell items to each other.

Also:

• The maximum number of players allowed to join a guild in ESO is currently unknown (I have seen references to it being anywhere between 300 and "thousands"), but it appears that ZOS would favour large cap limits rather than smaller. Those members can be from any one of the 3 factions.
  • You can be a member of up to 5 guilds simultaneously.

Now, the fact that there are only 6 ownable keeps in Cyrodiil may not be significant, seeing as there will be multiple PVP campaigns running simultaneously. Presumably at least 1 of your faction's guilds will own a keep (with a shop) in at least ONE campaign instance. Presumably players can port directly to the keeps owned by their faction (in any campaign instance ?) from anywhere in Tamriel ?

If you're not a member of a ANY player guild, your only way of trading with other players will be to meet them face-to-face and open a trade window, or to port to a keep in Cyrodill and browse the guild-owned shop.

Sources:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/10/18/tamriel-infinium-selling-your-wares-in-the-elder-scrolls-online/

http://www.elderscrollsforum.com/forum/page/1/m/5472177/viewthread/10831965-guild-store-system-sounds-terrible

Edit: Added some corrections and clarifications.

Comments

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

This is wrong on so many levels *shake head*.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    I actually like it. I always hated universal AHs. I like the idea of player/guild shops, makes for a more regional economy.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Terrible idea in todays MMOs. Back in the day it worked, now, it won t. I hate this idea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by miagisan
    I actually like it. I always hated universal AHs. I like the idea of player/guild shops, makes for a more regional economy.

There are no player shops. And i don't see how spamming in chat for hours to sell your stuff can be fun for anyone. Each to their own  i guess.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

It's definitely more regional.

Restricted to to only ONE region, Cyrodiil, which also happens to be the PVP zone. Happy shopping ! image

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

It's definitely more regional.

Restricted to to only ONE region, Cyrodiil, which also happens to be the PVP zone. Happy shopping ! image

yes...enjoy :D

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by -aLpHa-

This is so right on so many levels "shakes head"

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

There are no player shops. And i don't see how spamming in chat for hours to sell your stuff can be fun for anyone. Each to their own  i guess.

• A player guild that conquers a keep in PVP in Cyrodiil can open a public shop in that keep for as long as they control the keep.
    i was referring to this.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    It's classic, it's different, and many people will hate it. The law of the jungle, the strongest survives.
    Originally posted by inemosz
    It's classic, it's different, and many people will hate it. The law of the jungle, the strongest survives.

FFXIV 1.0 tried the same thing but didn't work.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

You basically need to suck up to the dominant PVP guilds... or spend hours on hours on trade chat.

Is this system really intended the way it is? I just don't see it really working that well.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Bad.dog

+1

I like the idea of no large global auction. And as long as they have "trade chat" it really isn't "spamming" as that is what is "supposed to be there".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190
    I don't care. Got to the city and announce your wares via chat, and if you have something good to sell, people will buy. It worked for me in the past, and don't have to deal with guild rules and drama. Actually I have made clients that way. Role players are the best clients.
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    This system makes it difficult for gold sellers to horde and sell mats at ridiculous prices, which is fine by me.  Having said that I did run into an npc auction inside one of the npc guild buildings.  It wasn't functional but it was there so maybe npc guilds like the mages guild etc. are counted.  I don't know, would have to check it out again in next beta.
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

yea it will be the shits for gold farmers and you Doggie ,,,,not so bad for guilds and friends though

yea it will be the shits for gold farmers and you Doggie ,,,,not so bad for guilds and friends though

We will see when it goes live how awesome it will be. Not that this system has not been tried before in modern MMOS.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

It is kind of a interesting and telling design decision that you will have to venture into PVP areas to buy and sell stuff outside your guild.  With the fast gate travel between owned keeps as long as the one your side that is hosting the selling merchant isn't contested it should be fairly safe however.

I wonder if there is a limit on guild size?  Being that you can be a member of more than one guild could we have a faction trade guild where everyone who wants to buy and sell belongs to?  That would be a very TES like solution to auction halls and if it ends up working that way I would be very impressed.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Sovrath

+1

I like the idea of no large global auction. And as long as they have "trade chat" it really isn't "spamming" as that is what is "supposed to be there".

Aye, a Trade Channel might work, but won't it be scrolling faster than you can read ? We're all playing on one megaserver, aren't we ?

And MMO players will do whatever they want to do, so they'll be spamming WTB/WTS in every channel that has traffic, not just the designated Trade channel. We'll be adding thousands to our ignore lists, lol

Originally posted by Doogiehowser Originally posted by miagisan I actually like it. I always hated universal AHs. I like the idea of player/guild shops, makes for a more regional economy.

You make it sound like there is no way around for gold sellers, lol. Allot of gold sellers buy gold from normal players for really cheap rates and sell them high.

Gold sellers are really resourceful, something like this won't stop them at all.

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Originally posted by udon

It is kind of a interesting and telling design decision that you will have to venture into PVP areas to buy and sell stuff outside your guild.  With the fast gate travel between owned keeps as long as the one your side is selling out of isn't contested it should be fairly safe however.

I wonder if there is a limit on guild size?  Being that you can be a member of more than one guild could we have a faction trade skill guild where everyone who wants to buy and sell belongs to?

Max guild size is 300 I think.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

-:)   the crafter's name is on the items they make.

You can build a reputation and clientele.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

I wonder if there is a limit on guild size?  Being that you can be a member of more than one guild could we have a faction trade skill guild where everyone who wants to buy and sell belongs to?

Current guild size is 500 players (it's account bound) and in one of the beta weekend I did some players did make a Action House Guild.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    It sounds interesting on paper. It is a way to foster community and cause interaction between players.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by azarhal

Current guild size is 500 players (it's account bound) and in one of the beta weekend I did some players did make a Action House Guild.

Yea but 500 is a bit small to make that work.  Even a large alliance could easily cross that limit.  I don't mind the mechanics of no auction hall but Zenimax should give us the tools to build our own trade networks than.