Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Large Scale PvP: GW2 vs. ESO

XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

From what I've seen so far,  GW2's WvW and Cyrodiil seem very similar in concept,  in many ways almost identical.  

So as a PvP focused player who enjoyed a lot of what GW2's WvW had to offer, what is there about ESO's AvA system that would justify paying a sub for essentially the same PvP experience that I'm currently getting without a sub?

Comments

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Xssiv

From what I've seen so far,  GW2's WvW and Cyrodiil seem very similar in concept,  in many ways almost identical.  

So as a PvP focused player who enjoyed a lot of what GW2's WvW had to offer, what is there about ESO's AvA system that would justify paying a sub for essentially the same PvP experience that I'm currently getting without a sub?

Well if you really enjoy PvP in GW2 and have little interest in the rest of ESO it's probably not worth it.  Personally I find GW2's controls unplayable after about 50 hours.  B2P is great but if you have no interest in even bothering to take the time to patch the game up to the current version it really doesn't do you much good.

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Well in massive battles people don't disappear  from your screen like they do in GW2.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

I wish I could share details of my experiences and thoughts from both games regarding PVP  with the details to answer that for you but for some reason Zenimax still has this NDA thing hanging over everyone's head and if I provide impressions I will end up with my post flagged and deleted before being outright scolded by a mod.

It's like a new meme for MMORPG.com: I used to be a forum poster like you until I was scolded by a mod over an NDA.

Anyway, the best way to address your question right now and without provoking unwanted trouble is to ask you a question in turn. How many games released in recent years have been worth a subscription fee (particularly long term)  when measured against all the free or buy to play competition?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

It only looks like the same PVP experience at a glance of the surface...from a distance. 

If you don't know what I'm talking about, go watch all the new videos and read all the new articles appearing everywhere today. ESO is bigger, deeper and better optimized.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

ESO, and it's not close. 

Why pay? For character development/progression.

As things stand, if you AvA only from level 10 on, there's an easy 3-4 months progression. Even longer for more casual oriented players.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

Thanks for the replies so far.    I realize that this type of stuff is really subjective,  I really just wanted to know if there were features or mechanics that would really make Cyrodiil stand out when compared to WvW.  

Got excited there for a little bit when the initial previews of Cyrodiil started coming out.  

• SmarnyPeteSmarnyPete Member Posts: 69

No might stacking, no stability stacking, no tiny 4 maps (or 5 with mists), no around the clock face capping, no zeg can resond to anything instantly, no CD on keep waypoints, no quick runs between objectives, no running as on giant zerg spamming one button. No anybody can rez (have to use that vital soul stone if you wish to rez).

In ESO you will actually have to identify who is healing.

Guarding postern doors to stop a keep from being reinforced, zergs way more spread out, all players get crouch (stealth), one ulimate can stun a whole zerg if stacked on each other, 7 groups of 12 moving behind enemy territory looks to be way more productive then one group of 80.

I like GW2 WvW, but it is very simplistic due to small maps and zerg is the best way to play.  I  found ESO to have much more depth in my limited weekends. It feels DAoC/Warhammer. It's built for small groups of 8-10is to have success if you want to not follow the larger zegs.

Anyway - One giant map compared to 4 with much greater performance. I run GW2 on lower settings on reset night, but ESO on high.

Oh - Each alliance has its own color identification. GW2 only has one color for all three severs (red). 

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Originally posted by Damedius
    Well in massive battles people don't disappear  from your screen like they do in GW2.

They don't disappear from your screen in GW2. They have not in nearly a year now. You can keep your terrible animations to your ESO though. 

• p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194

Originally posted by Xssiv From what I've seen so far,  GW2's WvW and Cyrodiil seem very similar in concept,  in many ways almost identical.   So as a PvP focused player who enjoyed a lot of what GW2's WvW had to offer, what is there about ESO's AvA system that would justify paying a sub for essentially the same PvP experience that I'm currently getting without a sub?      
     I dig me some PvP.  When GW2 came out, I was super stoked about the WvW.  Finally, a game to bring back what had been lost with DAoC!  But something fell totally flat with GW2 implementation, to me.  It just felt really hollow.... From what I've seen, ESO has more of the DAoC feel to keep AvA warfare.  I really hope that holds to be true because DAoC is some of the best RvR times I've had in a MMO ever.

EDIT: had to correct my quote level

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

I wish I could share details of my experiences and thoughts from both games regarding PVP  with the details to answer that for you but for some reason Zenimax still has this NDA thing hanging over everyone's head and if I provide impressions I will end up with my post flagged and deleted before being outright scolded by a mod.

It's like a new meme for MMORPG.com: I used to be a forum poster like you until I was scolded by a mod over an NDA.

Anyway, the best way to address your question right now and without provoking unwanted trouble is to ask you a question in turn. How many games released in recent years have been worth a subscription fee (particularly long term)  when measured against all the free or buy to play competition?

Breaking an NDA is a pretty big deal. It is not the mod's fault they want to keep their website running rather then cater to someone arguing over the internet about whether X game is better then X game. 

Not saying that an NDA at this close to launch being in place is not absolutely absurd; it is. They clearly are hiding something. 

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

If you want to know what ESO can offer in pvp, you have to wait a few weeks or months after release. Right now,nothing is sure - just hype from fans. If you read the posts for warhammer pre launch, you will see the same things - how it will have realm pride, no zergs, huge areas for pvp fights etc. The zerg hate I find it quite funny - if you want small scale fights why play a mmo ? As soon players will find a way to maximize the rewards they will use it, most players in pvp could not care less about realm pride (which is something teso gave up on anyway), they want rewards.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by Celcius

Not saying that an NDA at this close to launch being in place is not absolutely absurd; it is. They clearly are hiding something. 

That is the entire point of an NDA or do you not understand that? What you assume beyond that, without any real knowledge, is your own doing. You can simply wait until you know more or you can worry about something you have no control over.

People complaining about walking a lot in Cyrodiil (other than breaking NDA) are people without horses and are not trying to take control points you can summon to strategically. Also death must sting and delays in re-entering battle emulates attrition ... a key factor in rvr pvp.

You stay sassy!

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    For me everyone on one huge map with nothing separated + way better performance
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

They don't disappear from your screen in GW2. They have not in nearly a year now. You can keep your terrible animations to your ESO though. 

Lol come one man you are going to AvA, right? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

I really wanted to play gw2 because of the WvWvW, but it just felt boring somehow. Gave it a few tries but like some others already said, it doesn't feel epic. Its more like a simple doungen run.

I only played Warhammer online b4, and ESO came closer to it then GW2. It hooked me in, hard to decribe why, maybe its about personal feelings, what you prefer atleast.

• GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169
    IN eso it looks much more realistic I haven seen any CHOO CHOOO Trains I love how fight were going but I find it hard for melee hope it will be better with better gear
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

By terrible animations, do you mean somebody shooting rainbow unicorns from a bow?  Or a pop-gun, or maybe a sparkle princess wand?  How about the new KIngdom Hearts/Sailor Moon Valentine's weapon skins?  Oh, wait, that's GW2.

I love the realism that ESO offers.  I'm glad a studio has finally gotten away from cute and colorful and moved to deep and meaningful.

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346

Well I haven't played in awhile. So they could have improved it.

I do remember at launch you could be right beside 50 enemies and not see them. Then all of a sudden they all appear on your screen. That's good if they finally managed to fix it.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Telondariel

By terrible animations, do you mean somebody shooting rainbow unicorns from a bow?  Or a pop-gun, or maybe a sparkle princess wand?  How about the new KIngdom Hearts/Sailor Moon Valentine's weapon skins?  Oh, wait, that's GW2.

I love the realism that ESO offers.  I'm glad a studio has finally gotten away from cute and colorful and moved to deep and meaningful.

haha nice one

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

The feeling of mass pvp in ESO is really EPIC. GW2 would be just the smaller brother of it and you dont have the immersion of such a battle like in ESO. Many siege weapons are used in ESO, the sound of war is incredible and the overall graphic reminds more of a medieval times instead of cartonish fantasy settings. You can use different type of catapults, destroying walls and repair it not just hammering a gate. The castles are huge, the people who are visible in a fight are really large and massive.

If you want to know how Faction vs Faction mass pvp looks like, watch this video about ingame footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHRfCCAjFfM&html5=1#t=21m29s

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Vapors
    Originally posted by Telondariel Originally posted by Celcius Originally posted by Damedius Well in massive battles people don't disappear  from your screen like they do in GW2.
    By terrible animations, do you mean somebody shooting rainbow unicorns from a bow?  Or a pop-gun, or maybe a sparkle princess wand?  How about the new KIngdom Hearts/Sailor Moon Valentine's weapon skins?  Oh, wait, that's GW2.   I love the realism that ESO offers.  I'm glad a studio has finally gotten away from cute and colorful and moved to deep and meaningful.
    haha nice one

Beside the talk of realism in a fantasy game ,it's even funnier when you remember that one of last games which went with a "dark game world,we hate colorful because we are so hardcore" was Warhammer,made by Matt Firor ex-studio,closed last year.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Both are aimed to casual players. Both are about mindless zerging and taking empty keeps (PvDoor, PvGuards). ESO has better optimization but a way worse combat system. Both have uninteresting PvP progression. ESO's zones feel too empty (way too large compared to the people that it can handle).

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Both are aimed to casual players. Both are about mindless zerging and taking empty keeps (PvDoor, PvGuards). ESO has better optimization but a way worse combat system. Both have uninteresting PvP progression. ESO's zones feel too empty (way too large compared to the people that it can handle).

You said the "Z" word.

Go watch this video 20 times and report back...we'll wait image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CiKZ5QEml0

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

I dont think the ESO zones are too big for what the huge amount of people it can handle. Do you know how many can join such a pvp campagne ?

ESO will probably offer one of the largest mass pvp fights ever....

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by spizz

I dont think the ESO zones are too big for what the huge amount of people it can handle. Do you know how many can join such a pvp campagne ?

According to the wiki around 2k players in total. The zones are way too big and open (no milegates / mountains that funnel players into chokepoints). There is no way you can get good action with so few players.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann