Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm a sucker

tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

So I have a tendancy to never give up on mmos. I resubbed to WAR 3 or 4 times.

Now I tried SW:TOR again, but I think this 4th time to sub was my last. Even with a subscription I was reminded just about every minute about the amazing cartel shop cash shop and all the great items I could buy there..

When did the shop get this bad? I can remember it taking over the game completely in the past.

I want to loot my items not buy them when I pay a subscription.

So I guess this is the very last time I hit the (almost hidden) cancel subscription button for this game...

Comments

• BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50

I'd like to put a trigger on the SWTOR class balance team.

When they are fired I'm ready to give the game another try.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I am subbed and the only thing that reminds me about cartel shop is the button to push on the top of my screen. Nothing more. nothing is popping out to remind me about it LMAO.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

You don`t need the cash shop... and also you buy SKINS from there... you need to fill the skins with actual mods and such that you can craft or loot from PvE - no Pay to Win here...

Besides EVERYTHING in the shop is also in the GTN(in-game auction house) for credits... and they are either SKINS or xp boosts or crap like that...  

The cash shop is quite good for putting nice looking sets on the GTN and for providing the F2P population with unlocks and other nice things for in-game credits...

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by alexhpy98721

You don`t need the cash shop... and also you buy SKINS from there... you need to fill the skins with actual mods and such that you can craft or loot from PvE - no Pay to Win here...

Besides EVERYTHING in the shop is also in the GTN(in-game auction house) for credits... and they are either SKINS or xp boosts or crap like that...  

The cash shop is quite good for putting nice looking sets on the GTN and for providing the F2P population with unlocks and other nice things for in-game credits...

Ok, that's a bit different, they make it look like it is actual epic armor sets that are in there.

I was wondering what on earth they were doing.

I don't like to have to pony up to get access to all of the game when I pay $15/month so the button is clicked!

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Originally posted by tyfon

Now I tried SW:TOR again, but I think this 4th time to sub was my last. Even with a subscription I was reminded just about every minute about the amazing cartel shop cash shop and all the great items I could buy there..

When did the shop get this bad? I can remember it taking over the game completely in the past.

So I guess this is the very last time I hit the (almost hidden) cancel subscription button for this game...

*blinks* what? the only thing that reminds you about the CS (which is totally optional btw) is the little logo at the top of the screen. also you can get all the same stuff on the GTN.. im not sure what version of swtor you have, but it sounds like you have the one that has big red letters on the screen that read "Buy from our Cash shop or be logged out in 3 minutes!" the swtor cs isn that bad tbh. seen way worse. 

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Ok, that's a bit different, they make it look like it is actual epic armor sets that are in there.

I don't like to have to pony up to get access to all of the game when I pay $15/month so the button is clicked!

You have access to all game as subscriber, even Makeb (Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion) is now free for subscribers. Cartel Market sells unlocks for F2P, cosmetic items, etc. Don't have to buy anything from it if you don't want to, and everything from CM can be bought pretty cheap on GM.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    You say you subbed 4 times and yet you didn't know that all Cartel shop items are sold and can be purchased from the in-game market? Sounds legit. I found that out on my 2nd day of playing the game when i started.

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

You have access to all game as subscriber, even Makeb (Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion) is now free for subscribers. Cartel Market sells unlocks for F2P, cosmetic items, etc. Don't have to buy anything from it if you don't want to, and everything from CM can be bought pretty cheap on GM.

So if I have access to everything, why is the shop even there for subscribers?

They put commercial on every web page, every load screen etc about the stuff that is there. 

Can you loot everything?

I really felt like I was missing out with all the spam, but if that is not the case I still have 13 days I can try.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Well some of the loot is behind reputation grinds. So atm you have the bounty hunter event and the armors from the reputation vendor are pretty nice , they require a certain level of reputation and in-game credits to buy. That event comes back the second week of every month , this months finishes on Monday night. Now also you have a new 15-54 flashpoint with a reputation grind for a great speeder and more pretty cool armor. So if you are between levels 15-54 then get cracking :) If you so please.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    Not sure what your talking about there really is nothing in game talking about the Cartel Market except for the Big Button that you can click to access it if you want to! Certain Armor sets are only available via the cartel market however you can purchase most of those armor sets on the GTN because players will sell the ones that they do not want. Many players purchase cartel packs as a way of making in game credits and just about every f2p unlock is available on the gtn for in game credits.
  • TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by Fenrir767
    Not sure what your talking about there really is nothing in game talking about the Cartel Market except for the Big Button that you can click to access it if you want to! Certain Armor sets are only available via the cartel market however you can purchase most of those armor sets on the GTN because players will sell the ones that they do not want. Many players purchase cartel packs as a way of making in game credits and just about every f2p unlock is available on the gtn for in game credits.

Hey! You can't say that! SWTOR is bad because forums say so! That is all!

/sarcasm

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210

They put commercial on every web page, every load screen etc about the stuff that is there. 

Can you loot everything?

I really felt like I was missing out with all the spam, but if that is not the case I still have 13 days I can try.

You buy the items you want off the GTN with in game credits.  No cash needed.  In WoW and other P2P MMOs there are some items you can not get from looting but only from vendors and the AH. 

its not different then that.

IF YOU WANT you can spend real money but you don't have to in fact its easier to just spend in game money.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by bobdole1979

Can you loot everything?

You buy the items you want off the GTN with in game credits.  No cash needed.  In WoW and other P2P MMOs there are some items you can not get from looting but only from vendors and the AH. 

its not different then that.

IF YOU WANT you can spend real money but you don't have to in fact its easier to just spend in game money.

They can also use some of their Stipend Cartel Coins , they got at least 500 CC from subbing :). A good tip is to adjust your UI so the big gold flashing button becomes a tiny dot so shiny tarnished gold button :).

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    Originally posted by Fenrir767

Hey! You can't say that! SWTOR is bad because forums say so! That is all!

/sarcasm

The funny thing is with the amount of content that is available to be unlocked on the GTN if you want to truly be a F2P player and use your credits wisely you can actually unlock most of the things you need in the game far easier than say a less hated F2P model like LOTRO, getting those achievements for 10 turbine points is an absolute bitch......

• SinrothSinroth Member CommonPosts: 12
    I always see someone somewhere saying that everything in the cash shop is available in the GTN. Simple answer is yes. But without being a simpleton, in order to even get to the GTN, the item must first be either gambled upon within gambling packs or for everything else bought directly from the "cash shop". Meaning, someone MUST pay real money in order for someone else to get it for in game credits. The studio doesn't care who that person is as long as it is purchased with real money FIRST. This is the incorrect way to offer players/Subscribers who already pay a monthly fee the chance to use an emote such as a sit emote. Or to obtain an appealing weapon model than what is EARNED in game. Nicer looking weapons and/or gear models/textures are ALL reserved for the, you guessed it. Cash shop. Nothing desirable actually needs to be earned in this game anymore since free to play. EVERYTHING desirable is used with Cartel Coins. They even charge real money for new hairstyles or color etc. Want to change a hairstyle? Need Cartel Coins first Want to change the color? Need Cartel Coins first. You know, the simple cosmetic stuff. Why? Greed? Desperation? So few Subscribers? Why did they all leave? Thats just bad business right there and you know somethings wrong with a game if that happens to the extent that it did. They never to this day, ever fixed the reasons for their failures. From the mass exodus, the game continues today in the exact state it did then, without any change or improvement to the actual game. Their engine is garbage, yes that's no secret. But now the "gambling packs" have taken the place of  Subscribers. This is what they care for MOST. It's not an opinion. It's a factual observation. So knowing that, how is one able to allow themselves to support the studio? Ignorance is bliss? I suppose. But what is known, cannot be unknown. And that is why they will never get anymore support from me. From my friends. From others. From their friends. From the 1.5 MILLION that laughed their collective butts off at Bio/EA's attempt at free to play. There's no defending them. They shown everyone that they don't care anymore. They have the cash shop which is king. So that gives them the right to treat Subscribers with a little disrespect, or a lot depending on the individual, by way of greed. But no one can come out and lie about how they've never experienced any level of disrespect from their decisions. The problem is too many subscribers bury their heads in the sand and allow things that shouldn't continue, continue. They make excuses for the Studio and even argue on their behalf. Now thanks to EA, BioWare's name isn't worth a steaming cow pie. Literally. EA is trying for worst company four years in a row. Square Enix did something about their reputation and they're on top now as a favorite for what they've done with Final Fantasy. I'm not a big Final Fantasy fan at all. I am a HUGE fan of the Star Wars universe though. I do like MMORPG's very much and would love to play a GOOD sci-fi MMORPG. But Final Fantasy smokes SWTOR so friggin badly that I'm jealous at just how everything works so well together and there is absolutely no need to to milk Subscribers for anything at all. No sit emotes. No black dyes. NOTHING. It feels good to have a Studio actually care about Subscribers again, especially when comparing one studio's direction with another's. And Square actually rewards Subscribers with free stuff at stages of subscriptions. SWTOR? *uncomfortable silence*  Pretty much that. Was it hard at first to leave a Star Wars game that I've been waiting for since almost ever? What I wanted an MMO that I could call home? Or at least a very decent MMO? They did almost everything wrong, and even painted themselves into a corner with the "fully voiced" feature... Tisk tisk.
  • Thebrave246Thebrave246 Member Posts: 174

Hey do any of you guys know what to do, I have been trying to play SWTOR again, been awhile to check out all the new stuff and galactic starfighter, but for some reason my launcher is all messed up. I either get a Failed to Initialize Web Browser Error or I get the launchpad up and it says Preparing the files please wait and just minimizes and nothing happens. How do I fix the launcher to download the game already?

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by Sinroth
    I always see someone somewhere saying that everything in the cash shop is available in the GTN. Simple answer is yes. But without being a simpleton, in order to even get to the GTN, the item must first be either gambled upon within gambling packs or for everything else bought directly from the "cash shop". Meaning, someone MUST pay real money in order for someone else to get it for in game credits. The studio doesn't care who that person is as long as it is purchased with real money FIRST. This is the incorrect way to offer players/Subscribers who already pay a monthly fee the chance to use an emote such as a sit emote. Or to obtain an appealing weapon model than what is EARNED in game. Nicer looking weapons and/or gear models/textures are ALL reserved for the, you guessed it. Cash shop. Nothing desirable actually needs to be earned in this game anymore since free to play. EVERYTHING desirable is used with Cartel Coins. They even charge real money for new hairstyles or color etc. Want to change a hairstyle? Need Cartel Coins first Want to change the color? Need Cartel Coins first. You know, the simple cosmetic stuff. Why? Greed? Desperation? So few Subscribers? Why did they all leave? Thats just bad business right there and you know somethings wrong with a game if that happens to the extent that it did. They never to this day, ever fixed the reasons for their failures. From the mass exodus, the game continues today in the exact state it did then, without any change or improvement to the actual game. Their engine is garbage, yes that's no secret. But now the "gambling packs" have taken the place of  Subscribers. This is what they care for MOST. It's not an opinion. It's a factual observation. So knowing that, how is one able to allow themselves to support the studio? Ignorance is bliss? I suppose. But what is known, cannot be unknown. And that is why they will never get anymore support from me. From my friends. From others. From their friends. From the 1.5 MILLION that laughed their collective butts off at Bio/EA's attempt at free to play. There's no defending them. They shown everyone that they don't care anymore. They have the cash shop which is king. So that gives them the right to treat Subscribers with a little disrespect, or a lot depending on the individual, by way of greed. But no one can come out and lie about how they've never experienced any level of disrespect from their decisions. The problem is too many subscribers bury their heads in the sand and allow things that shouldn't continue, continue. They make excuses for the Studio and even argue on their behalf. Now thanks to EA, BioWare's name isn't worth a steaming cow pie. Literally. EA is trying for worst company four years in a row. Square Enix did something about their reputation and they're on top now as a favorite for what they've done with Final Fantasy. I'm not a big Final Fantasy fan at all. I am a HUGE fan of the Star Wars universe though. I do like MMORPG's very much and would love to play a GOOD sci-fi MMORPG. But Final Fantasy smokes SWTOR so friggin badly that I'm jealous at just how everything works so well together and there is absolutely no need to to milk Subscribers for anything at all. No sit emotes. No black dyes. NOTHING. It feels good to have a Studio actually care about Subscribers again, especially when comparing one studio's direction with another's. And Square actually rewards Subscribers with free stuff at stages of subscriptions. SWTOR? *uncomfortable silence*  Pretty much that. Was it hard at first to leave a Star Wars game that I've been waiting for since almost ever? What I wanted an MMO that I could call home? Or at least a very decent MMO? They did almost everything wrong, and even painted themselves into a corner with the "fully voiced" feature... Tisk tisk.

Paragraphs are your friends. ^^

Anybody know how to fix the "Failed to initialize web browser" issue or when the launchpad comes up and just minimizes and doesn't download the game? I have tried using FixLauncher, deleting the patch folder and a bunch of different things already.
  • orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Sounds like you might have ti reinstall. =(
    This is before anything installs just the preliminary setup for launcher files.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

A game should be judged primarily on the merits of its game play. 

Attacking the cash shop as the only consideration just comes across as a superficial rant. 

Personally, I'm prepared to pay a lot of money for a good game, but there are not many out there. 

SWTOR offers bad game play, unless you REALLY like the dialogue so much that you are willing to suffer the poor AI, repetitive combat, lack of world PvP, etc.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by cura

I am subbed and the only thing that reminds me about cartel shop is the button to push on the top of my screen. Nothing more. nothing is popping out to remind me about it LMAO.  

Im not a subber at the moment and was wondering what the hell did they change couse i dont remember any excessive cash shop promotion neither...

There isn't. The OP either hasn't really played TOR or has played and is just making stuff up. Either way he's lying.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Dewguy79

So you make a post claiming this is your fourth time subbing, go on and rage quit because of the cartel market.  You clearly have no clue about what's even in the market your quitting over? Did I get that right? 

No no, he initially said he quit because even as a subscriber, he was being constantly reminded about the cartel market, and it was constantly being pushed to him in game. Once it was proved by everyone who actually subs, that there is no pushing or mention of the market as a subscriber (aside from the icon itself), he changed his stance to the items within the market.

Gotta love fabricated complaints, they are very fun to read :)

• jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104

... you clearly must be subbed to the SWTOR version run by the Chinese mafia over in PWI

... does not sound like you are playing the same game I am playing ...

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697
    Originally posted by Thebrave246
    This is before anything installs just the preliminary setup for launcher files.

Did you install from gamedisks?

The game won't install from the disks I have (original copy). It has been so since launch and installing the entire game from the web has always been my only option.