Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a new(ish) grindy MMO

2»

Comments

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    I've had to return to MUDs to scratch my grind (number watching) itch. Wish I could offer a suggestion. Keeping an eye on this in case someone suggests something appealing. I'll have to check out Wakfu.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146

Definitely doesn't meet your age requirement, but maybe look at Tibia. No level cap, literally a grindfest. There are quests that can be done once and provide substantial rewards. Dedicated healer (druid) though the class has gotten a damage boost lately. People love them some druids in groups.

Skills levels are usage-based. Train with other players to advance skills, make runes to advance magic level. People have been playing for 10+ years, still chugging away. 

Anyway, just a thought. Most people haven't seen it.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Anyone know how Lineage 2 is? I've never played but I heard it was basically just a big grind to cap, and that it still takes some time, even after all the updates.
  • plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    Heard there was a new game called Archeage or something coming out by makers of Lineage 1-2

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Check out ryzom, not too familiar with it so not sure it fits for your needs...

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Sorry OP i am also a FFXI fan,there is no other game,every developer is copying EQ/EQ2/Wow notta onecan think for themselves.Even Square Enix began copying other games awhile back.

Now everything is cheap graphics,instances and people driven to end game because the regular game is obviously boringto them.I think FACT so many talk or ask about end game is proof developers are making crappy games and can'thold anyone's interest.

Blizzard might as well shot themselves in the foot by selling level90,that is like saying "ok our game is crap,we know you want to bypass it all,so here ya go".Of course they would spin it another way.

I had high hopes for Archeage long ago,but will be another game you can play 90%solo questing.

Nobody is making a game that makes sense right now,i am not giving up hope,i know somewhere is a good producer/CEO or person in charge that has the passion to make a good game and not just a business/assembly line game design.

With the new trend of asking for free handouts,i do not expect any Triple A game coming from that and so many others including the big boys cutting corners,the wait might be long.Every single dev is terrified of the term MULTIPLAYER,they are more than willing to attach the MMO monicker but their games play  like co-op instances and soloing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlkavenAlkaven Member Posts: 25

Still haven't found anything yet. -_-

Might have better luck searching or a time machine, maybe.

bump
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404

There isn't any like you are looking for OP, most of the newish games are all oriented towards the ADD I'm a solo god that can do it all crowd.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ
    Anyone know how Lineage 2 is? I've never played but I heard it was basically just a big grind to cap, and that it still takes some time, even after all the updates.

I played it of a number of years.  Still very grindy but they did speed it up a little.  The community is pretty good once you find a good guild.  Not as much PK as there used to be.  I once found it a very addictive game but that was long ago.  Oh, and the economy is crazy with high end weapons selling for billions on the AH.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136
    The only game(s) I can think of that seem to have those requirements are the Legends games by Spacetime Studios.  The newest is Arcane Legends I believe and you can play them through Chrome browser or on android as well.  You've got Pocket Legends, Star Legends, and Arcane Legends.  There's also some Vampire type game that is different than the others that I never played, so not sure about that one.  It may not fit the non hand holding requirement because the areas you go through are just sequentially level appropriate.
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by deniter

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen will be your game, if you're ready to wait couple of years.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

Other than that, i have no idea, but let me know if you find one.

As much I'd love to see this game see a release (I am the target audience - Huge EQ1 classic fan, I plaued EQ1 at launch) - its not gonna happen.

There's not even 1500 supporters now, its been a while since KS failed.

I think its dead Jim......

Brad McQuaid has connections, so I'm sure he'll find funding for it one way or another.  He's made it clear that there will not be much grinding in the game in his AMA.

I didn't back his kickstarter for that reason primarily, but he also strikes me as the kind of person who ends up catering to the largest audience.  I don't think he's concerned with a focused crowd, but rather just marketing for that.

bump
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Been looking for a good grind game for years and cant find anything. Everything is quest based now which I don't care for. Only game I can think of for you to try is Lineage 2.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

dont think you will find any, and dont think there will be any (at least AAA production) released ever again, since most of the people dont want grind.

go play some old games, best bet i would say would be AC2 or vanguard, you can also try ryzom or istaria

• nerixa248nerixa248 Member UncommonPosts: 45

maybe try out Sevencore, that game opened up again recently. it is very grindy. many quests are hard  - hard monsters, hard bosses, to many monsters, hard to find some locations for quests, people group  a lot to make it easier. potions are expensive so players wants to group up often for repeatable quests that gives potions as reward. there is no healer class tho. max lvl is planned to be 200...

the bad thing...i dont know how long it will last open if they dont advertise game. it already closed once in the past :(

• perran7691perran7691 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I'd say Rift. You can group up doing Rifts, Instant Adventure, five mans, ten and twenty man raids. There's also two man chronicles, daily Rift Raids. Suffice to say there are tons and tons of group options in this game and it's F2P to boot.
  • BlastoTheRocketBoyBlastoTheRocketBoy Member UncommonPosts: 16

Diablo 3 has certainly redeemed itself in my eyes after that ridiculous launch. And the expansion (pre-ordered :P) looks amazing, but even the changes already live in 2.0.3 are effing amazing! Crafting is worth a damn, and the system is now based largely on finding and salvaging common and magic/rares, so that's oddly enough what I've been most excited to find while farming lol... Never thought I'd see the day I'd be glad to see a white or grey item over a rare :P And the new legendary's, though bind on account and only trade able to those in your party at the time of your finding them for up to 2 hours, are nonetheless really fun with all the new unique abilities/modifiers and actually drop now! They have finally allowed for more diverse builds with the new unique abilities and mod's on gear, I for example main a witch doctor and can finally spec into a BADASS (my clan name... oh... did I mention CLANS!!!) pet/support sword n' board build for Torment 6 difficulty content with a group of my clannies... so much good fun... and they have HEAVILY hinted at the implementation of competitive ladders!

Hope I see ya in game if you decide to give it a whirl :D

Love, peace and chicken grease!

~Blasto

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Diablo still runs out of end game content really fast though.
  • StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199

As an FFXI lover myself, I've looked for years for something that can scratch that itch, and I came to the conclusion that there is no such thing.  Games like FFXI and the original EQ are not made anymore, at all, period.  The market direction shifted too dramatically, and the instant gratification crowd demanded self-recycle, questing-on-rails experiences in droves.

Even the old games with that style have gradually begun to adopt a casual focus.  For those of us who like hot dogs instead of hamburgers, we are simply out of luck.  Adapt and enjoy MMORPGs for what they currently are, or quit gaming, because that is the state of things right now and for the foreseeable future.

... and before someone mentions it, for the love of god, don't be fooled by Everquest Next.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by Strayfe

As an FFXI lover myself, I've looked for years for something that can scratch that itch, and I came to the conclusion that there is no such thing.  Games like FFXI and the original EQ are not made anymore, at all, period.  The market direction shifted too dramatically, and the instant gratification crowd demanded self-recycle, questing-on-rails experiences in droves.

Even the old games with that style have gradually begun to adopt a casual focus.  For those of us who like hot dogs instead of hamburgers, we are simply out of luck.  Adapt and enjoy MMORPGs for what they currently are, or quit gaming, because that is the state of things right now and for the foreseeable future.

... and before someone mentions it, for the love of god, don't be fooled by Everquest Next.

Yea, although I haven't been a fan of grindy games they just have so much more depth and the recent developments of casual simplified games just makes me bored.

My favorite "MMO" so far was GW1, it was not really a grindy or hardcore game at it's core. But at the same time it was if you put you'r time into it. The best part was the skill and profession system. Endless amount of meta's and build variety, at least for PvP. It had such a great and dedicated community where I've made more friends than in any other game combined. 

The next gen of MMO's will be niche game for targeted audiences, too bad we can't all get what we want. 

Catering to all just makes the games so damn dull.. 

I would love to find a semi grindy PvE open world PvP game with new innovations from a company that cares more about their game than the cash shop. 

AA seems to be something what I'm looking for, but I've not read/seen much about it.

Everquest Next will probably turn into GW3, more dynamic events, bigger cash shop, smaller skill bar, continuation of the non trinity so called fun meta... Only thingy I can see go somewhere is the massive amount of classes, although this can turn into something like GW2 where everyone just goes DPS and zerg through content bashing keys. We will have to wait and see, but my hype is pretty much zero.