Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stealth in ESO

"Stealth is available to everyone, but it isn’t as deep as Skyrim. Press control to crouch and you enter sneak mode, which allows you to bypass camps of enemies and complete quests without violence if you’re good at it. It’s based on line of sight rather than dynamic light levels, so sneaking about requires a bit of planning."

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/the-elder-scrolls-online-hands-on-first-person-mode-skills-stealth-and-more/

in short: all players can stealth. when you crouch, while out of line of sight, you become invisible to enemy players, until they're close enough to detect you.

Imho, this is genius. and will be great for small scale PvP. It's not only Zerg or Die. With Stealth a whole group can effectively sneak behind enemy borders, and the map is huge. Stealth is not only for the "thief" class. every class can utilize it and it even requires finesse to use it effectively.

Comments

• Originally posted by kamosabe

"Stealth is available to everyone, but it isn’t as deep as Skyrim. Press control to crouch and you enter sneak mode, which allows you to bypass camps of enemies and complete quests without violence if you’re good at it. It’s based on line of sight rather than dynamic light levels, so sneaking about requires a bit of planning."

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/the-elder-scrolls-online-hands-on-first-person-mode-skills-stealth-and-more/

in short: when you crouch, you're invisible to enemy players, until they're close enough to detect you.

Imho, this is genius. and will be great for small scale PvP. It's not only Zerg or Die. With Stealth a whole group can effectively sneak behind enemy borders, and the map is huge. Stealth is not only for the "thief" class. every class can utilize it and it even requires finesse to use it effectively.

Its a wonderful thing.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by kamosabe

in short: when you crouch, you're invisible to enemy players, until they're close enough to detect you.

I doubt it will be that easy.  Note line of sight, but you are probably very accurate when you said it requires finesse to use it.  I haven't done any PVP yet but it is a lot more realistic than other games I've played when it comes to PVE anyway.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    It also goes off your endurance resource. As long as you're moving your endurance drains, and when you stop it begins to regen again, making it prohibitive to do over long distances unless you're very patient.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Anyone with the Mage's Guild skill line can also have Magelight on their hotbar, Magelight grants you a larger detection range. As a trade off though, that is one less offensive/defensive skill on your bar. You will most likely see it carried by a single person in a larger group as a support/utility spell.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Jyiiga
    Anyone with the Mage's Guild skill line can also have Magelight on their hotbar, Magelight grants you a larger detection range. As a trade off though, that is one less offensive/defensive skill on your bar. You will most likely see it carried by a single person in a larger group as a support/utility spell.

Oh yeah? There are also Nightblade skills that makes your undetectable range also larger... so take that mages! :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KamosabeKamosabe Member Posts: 15

And this is a good thing. Stealth should be balanced by having counters and drawbacks.

It was less about the offensive power, but the utility for avoiding enemy Zergs or big groups. Very useful for single players or small groups to survive far aways from the Zerg, to complete smaller objective than keeps on their own.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Iselin

Oh yeah? There are also Nightblade skills that makes your undetectable range also larger... so take that mages! :)

Although I could be wrong, I believe the Nightblade skills are invisibility instead of sneak. Which is entirely different and very short duration.

On the other hand, medium armor has some passives for sneak.

• xerrixerri Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Latronus

I doubt it will be that easy.  Note line of sight, but you are probably very accurate when you said it requires finesse to use it.  I haven't done any PVP yet but it is a lot more realistic than other games I've played when it comes to PVE anyway.

Dunno but I used it to get past a crap ton of Aldameri as I got back into defend Aesllin Keep  as  a Templar I was glad "everyone" has a stealth they can try  sure helped there

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Although I could be wrong, I believe the Nightblade skills are invisibility instead of sneak. Which is entirely different and very short duration.

its like 2.5 seconds lol

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Right you are. I was actually thinking of the Medium Armor passive, "Improved Sneak" that reduces the cost and decreases the detection area per piece of medium worn. Wood Elf also has an additional + Stealth passive.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BayonetReconBayonetRecon Member UncommonPosts: 128
    So ambushes might actually work? More than attempting to hide behind a rock or inside of foliage and hope that they don't see you?
  • Originally posted by BayonetRecon
    So ambushes might actually work? More than attempting to hide behind a rock or inside of foliage and hope that they don't see you?

Well NDA NDA NDA NDA NDA.

But in short, yes.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

Imho, this is genius. 

This is how Most MMO's do stealth, it's no different from say WoW, Rift or SWTOR version of stealth.  Only difference is the graphic that they use to show stealth on your screen but the systems behind it are still the same, there all line of sight based 

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by MyBoot

Imho, this is genius. 

This is how Most MMO's do stealth, it's no different from say WoW, Rift or SWTOR version of stealth.  Only difference is the graphic that they use to show stealth on your screen but the systems behind it are still the same, there all line of sight based 

The difference is that everyone can do it, not just certain classes

Originally posted by deakon

Imho, this is genius. 

Yes i understand that 

• xerrixerri Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by DMKano

Imho, this is genius. 

So same as in AoC. Everyone can stealth in that game too.

Yep Id liken it to AOC style

Originally posted by xerri
    Originally posted by DMKano

Imho, this is genius. 

So same as in AoC. Everyone can stealth in that game too.

Yep Id liken it to AOC style

AoC used light with it's stealth were ESO is not going down that path, Light effected stealth adds a whole new bunch of issues 

Didnt play AoC, but wasnt that one with open PvP, like free for all.

In ESO, PvP is faction based with three realms like Daoc, on one huge pvp map with keeps and stuff.

Imho, this is genius. 

What? not at all.

Stealth in other MMOs (except AoC) is a specific skill, given ONLY to rogue-type classes. In ESO ALL classes have stealth by literally crouching.

It's also weaker and need effort to not get detected,

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

exactly the direction I'll be going :-)

There Is Always Hope!

Imho, this is genius. 

What? not at all.

Stealth in other MMOs (except AoC) is a specific skill, given ONLY to rogue-type classes. In ESO ALL classes have stealth by literally crouching.

Just because one game calls it a skill and the other calls it crouch will not change the mechanics behind how it works. there all line of sight and distance based stealth, regardless of skill / crouch or what class uses it.

Being weaker just means they change the distance and radius values in the equation, still works on the same theory. 

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Imho, this is genius. 

What? not at all.

Just because one game calls it a skill and the other calls it crouch will not change the mechanics behind how it works. there all line of sight and distance based stealth, regardless of skill / crouch or what class uses it.

Being weaker just means they change the distance and radius values in the equation, still works on the same theory. 

That is just not true. You obviously didn't play games like Warhammer Online where I was constantly as a BrightWizard getting killed by stealth regardless of my line of site or how close they were to me.

There Is Always Hope!

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

its like 2.5 seconds lol

While 2.5s doesn't really seem like a huge deal, in PvP... that's a relatively long time.  Just consider a 2.5s stun where you can't move or attack.  Suddenly, those few short moments become very critical opportunities for the enemy to exploit your weakness.

The 2.5s Invisibility I wouldn't think is all that useful in PvE.  But in PvP, with the way combat works in this game... that could save your life for sure, I would imagine.  There you are laying waste to some dude and suddenly, he's just gone.  It's a very effective thing that helps disorient the other player.

I really love the stealth mechanic in the game.  While it still isn't as tight as I would like it to be, it's light years ahead of any implementation we've seen in another MMO.  It feels way more natural, though I do wish there were some sort of a skill involved with it in some way - like it traditionally is in TES games.  To be fair, I'm not sure if I would prefer that simply because I expect it to be there, or if it would actually work better.  Maybe when the Thieves Guild is released they'll revisit Stealth and provide a little more depth to it.

As it stands, it just feels good to actually have a real LoS feature working instead of a class limited feature that requires a toggle or a cooldown.  It's kind of one of those things that's always bugged me.  Sort of like how in SWTOR, Smugglers could "use cover".  While that made perfect sense considering the setting, what didn't make sense was that it was a class feature.  I always thought, "This makes so much sense to have - why wouldn't it just be a standard gameplay element for everyone?"

Originally posted by keithian

Imho, this is genius. 

What? not at all.

That is just not true. You obviously didn't play games like Warhammer Online where I was constantly as a BrightWizard getting killed by stealth regardless of my line of site or how close they were to me.

Dear god guide me in my wisdom not to shoot myself :)

Imho, this is genius. 

What? not at all.

you still miss the important part: All classes have stealth.

with this, everybody can form up small groups and venture deep into enemy land. I never saw this idea in big scaled, faction based, non-instanced PvP, like Daoc or Guild Wars 2.

did you ever play Daoc? this is huge for small scale pvp. I dont know how this will work out, but this will be interesting for PvP fans.