Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen: "We Are NOT Giving Up On KickStarter By Any Means"

2»

Comments

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    I won't be one the KS shows me nothing to prove its worth investing in!
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    This dude is sad. He should just give it up because clearly the demand for the type of game that he's talking about is simply not there

Steam: Neph

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776
    Originally posted by Storm_Cloud

I get alpha, beta and the digital copy of the game + goodies. The rest of them will come crawling, begging for a alpha/beta invite once the game reaches that point.  

The way the KS is going it is never going to reach that point.  So all your 'goodies' are pretty much non-existent.  I seriously doubt that some miracle investor is going to swoop and and save the day.  The way the whole KS campaign has been handled should be enough to turn any serious investor away.

At least with the KS people's money is safe if it doesn't fund.  Nobody looses.  But if VR go ahead with plans for a 'donation' scam.....er, I mean scheme on their website, post-KS, then people can kiss their money goodbye.  Brad & Co. will be spending those $$ as soon as they roll in on an extension to his garage as the VR team will need a cheap place to work/sleep.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Originally posted by Saerain
    Originally posted by Nitth

WTF. pisses me off that companies with the means to "reach out to investors" goes and looks for handouts FIRST.

Investors have interests that tend to run counter to the players'.

"Investors" have interests that run counter to PEOPLE'S interests, long past time PEOPLE wake up and realize this. The investing-class and the working-class have nothing in common.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Shoju

There's a ridiculous amount of nay-sayers. I'm one of the 1000 who got in for $45. I get alpha, beta and the digital copy of the game + goodies. The rest of them will come crawling, begging for a alpha/beta invite once the game reaches that point. They are gonna regret sitting on that fence 2-3 years back. (today) :)

The way the KS is going it is never going to reach that point.  So all your 'goodies' are pretty much non-existent.  I seriously doubt that some miracle investor is going to swoop and and save the day.  The way the whole KS campaign has been handled should be enough to turn any serious investor away.

At least with the KS people's money is safe if it doesn't fund.  Nobody looses.  But if VR go ahead with plans for a 'donation' scam.....er, I mean scheme on their website, post-KS, then people can kiss their money goodbye.  Brad & Co. will be spending those $$ as soon as they roll in on an extension to his garage as the VR team will need a cheap place to work/sleep.

Wow!

With all that anger and so little trust it seems that your issues with Brad and CO are very personal. I won't ask.

For me, I had trust issues with this project as well because of what I've read regarding the final outcome with Vanguard before SOE took over. But, I went with the one thing that I believe almost everybody deserves, a second chance. After all, Brad and CO is at 2-0 with me. I loved both Everquest and Vanguard, so if he wants to make a 3rd game, regardless of the past with Vanguard the guy deserves a second chance and after watching the videos on the kickstarter site, then he definitely deserve a second chance, without a single doubt.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

My issue with this project is the amazing lack of details about the game. That and things like crafting and PvP aren't even covered by the money they are asking for, but are in bonus pledges... That doesn't particularly sit well with me.

Also the lack of interaction that I have witnessed with the people that have donated to the Kickstarter doesn't exactly make me want to throw my hard earned cash at the game. It makes me think that Brad and his company don't care about their potential players, and that definitely doesn't make me want to back this game.

Smile

Originally posted by Razeekster

My issue with this project is the amazing lack of details about the game. 

That's because there is no game to give details about.  The KS was set up to fund the set up of the company; VR staff have even said that the 800k will be used to rent office space, pay wages, acquire hardware, hire more staff etc..  Game development was clearly going to come second with whatever cash was left over....or until a new KS campaign begging for more money is launched.

I went with the one thing that I believe almost everybody deserves, a second chance. 

Vanguard was Brad's second chance.

And what did he do with that chance? He chose the easy way out, sold the game and took the money and ran, leaving his employees in the parking lot.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Nitth

WTF. pisses me off that companies with the means to "reach out to investors" goes and looks for handouts FIRST.

It's not that bad of an idea though. The more money you have before you approach investors, the more likely they will be to sign on board. Especially if there is a significant source from Crown Funding. It shows there is a viable market for the project. Of course the flip side is that if you fail through kick starter, it looks really bad.

That said, There's no way I'll ever contribute through crowd funding. It's a gamble.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Shoju
    I went with the one thing that I believe almost everybody deserves, a second chance. 

Vanguard was Brad's second chance.

And what did he do with that chance? He chose the easy way out, sold the game and took the money and ran, leaving his employees in the parking lot.

LOL!

How does that become his second chance? If you fail, you get a second chance and Everquest was a super huge success, not a failure. Vanguard on the other hand in a lot of views was a failure, therefor I said I am giving him a second chance with this new project. To me, Vanguard was a success because I enjoyed it very much but to try and help others to make a choice that consider Vanguard a failure, this for them would be his second chance and almost everyone deserve one.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by SBFord
    It's hard to call 1/3 of a million dollars plus a "failure". I still have high hopes for seeing Pantheon come to fruition. :)

Unless they reach the target goal, they don't get a cent from the kickstarter. It is a failure.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by SBFord
    It's hard to call 1/3 of a million dollars plus a "failure". I still have high hopes for seeing Pantheon come to fruition. :)

I think one of the more surprising things for me is not the money, but the amount of backers. I believe they are still under 3k with 8 (?) days left.

I haven't backed, but I honestly thought this type of game would attract a lot more attention even with the criticism so far.

but heres to hoping they do well image

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

double post

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,809

Originally posted by Dejoblue
    Originally posted by superconducting Another "Me Too" MMO only gets one so far.
    "Me Too"? Brad created EQ which is what all of the "Me Too" MMOs copied, including WoW.

Brad created EQ?

Brad McQuaid created Everquest? All by himself?

You mean he wasnt just some programmer that was hired by Sony executive John Smedley? Because thats how history remembers it.

• tmann50tmann50 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    IF I recall correctly, and it's possible I don't, was some time ago...there was a company called verant that made the game then sold it to or in some way became a part of Soe....again, it is possible I am incorrect.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by wormed
    Here's an idea for game companies: actually have something tangible to show that you've already invested your OWN hard earned money, time and effort to a game. Stop showing up on KS with ideas and concept art. 

I have to agree with this.  Most of the successful kickstarters have something to show,  all we get from this group is a wish list. 

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by wormed
    Here's an idea for game companies: actually have something tangible to show that you've already invested your OWN hard earned money, time and effort to a game. Stop showing up on KS with ideas and concept art. 

I have to agree with this.  Most of the successful kickstarters have something to show,  all we get from this group is a wish list. 

Indeed. Especially if your asking for practically a million bucks.

Anyone can show some placeholder assets in unity. I'm personally glad most people were able to see through this thing, there are some great games kickstarted, but not everything deserves your charity.

My blog: image

• VarshevaVarsheva Member UncommonPosts: 30

I don't particularly trust the creators of this project but I did back the project. It is disappointing to see how little interest has been generated. Seems like a very slim prospect to getting funded but I did my part.

I think honestly they would have done better if they had spent some of their own money and at least have gotten a few in game screen shots and maybe a short video. As it is now it seems just concept stuff.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Whoever is saying that this KS won't fund is out of their mind. If I was an investor why would I piss away 400k by letting the timer run out just to start at $0 again? Think people. This game will reach its KS goal, that much is sure. Now whether a mmo comes to fruition on it's original due date is something I'm sure is not going to happen. But no investor in their right mind would throw away near half a million in free investment capital. It's like getting to invest in a mmo without having to come up with full start up funding.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Whoever is saying that this KS won't fund is out of their mind. If I was an investor why would I piss away 400k by letting the timer run out just to start at $0 again? Think people. This game will reach its KS goal, that much is sure. Now whether a mmo comes to fruition on it's original due date is something I'm sure is not going to happen. But no investor in their right mind would throw away near half a million in free investment capital. It's like getting to invest in a mmo without having to come up with full start up funding.

8 days and we shall see if I am out of my mind. My prediction is it won't fund, atleast not via kickstarter, if at all. It seems more appropriate to say any investor would be out of their mind to invest. Who is going to pledge more than half the required goal towards a badly run kickstarter when the creator of the said kickstarter has already said it's only enough money to get it started, not to fund it in it's entirety?

The only reason I think it even attracted a mere 3 thousand (mere because it's supposed to be a fully funded MMO) is because of Brad McQuaids name and I think he overestimated how valuable that was.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875

I recall seeing 989 studios and Verant all of which were Sony companies and branch offs. John Smedley hired Brad Mcquaid and Steve Clover to make Everquest. The concept was Smedley's but the design was Mcquaid's,Clover and Bill Trost.

If you go back to old videos on Everquest you will see Smedley talk about how he came up with the concept and hired McQuaid after seeing his work in a game called RPG Warwizard. I think we should not forget Smedley's part and give all credit to McQuaid. If not for Sony Everquest would not be here.

Read this for the history of the creation of Everquest

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/9/feature/5970/EverQuest-The-Making-of-a-Classic.html

AS for the kickstarter it looks like a half hearted attempt. Other kickstarters are presented much better ,this is as bare as they come.

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

Well, I would invest in this game,but I have been bit in the ass, and many others by Brad.

Silius, who became the leave developer, after everyone else was fired and laid off dicked the subscribers and long time community members every chance he got. He mocked us, made grindy ass content that lasted months to a year all for the sake of keeping subscribers from junking the game (because he and others lied about content updates.).

Again, while they probably could get people giving to this game's kick starter in order see it happen, I am almost certain all the people that have been burned by Brad in the past has looked over this one.

On a note, I just bought a kick starter constellation ship on Star citizen for $300.00, now when they give me a reason not to trust them, I'll never give them a red cent to.

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253
    Originally posted by arieste

A Brad McQuaid project that is failing and desperate.   Somewhere out there, there is a island with a lost tribe that has never been touched by civilization.  But even they, likely, are not surprised by this development.

Thank god, hopefully this gets shut down before he gets anyone's money.

100% agree, He will probably use that $800k to pay off his Ferrari he got with the  Vanguard pay off money.

If he finds some good investors other than $OE and actually have code the rest of the world can use to make updates to his game. By the way, what game engine are they "trying" to use to make this game?

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

Mmmhmm. How do you like your crow? I prefer mine well done.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic