Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Underwater swimming?

Heard mention zenimax online hasn't implimented underwater swimming as of yet in the game

Huge dissappointment if they release this game without underwater swimming

Argonians can breathe underwater as part of their racial

PvP underwater stealth maneuvers in Cryodiil would be so cool

PvE underwater treasure, dungeons, MOBs, etc...would add another dimension to the game as I enjoyed this immensely in Skyrim

Why aren't there any questions concerning this in interviews?

Comments

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Eew a reptile! Burn it with fire!

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    The game appears to have devolved into a cash grab, so I wouldn't expect additional features.  They are too busy working on consoles atm.
  • HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98

Underwater swimming is a nice extra, but it shouldn't be prioritized before other important parts of the game, especially underwater combat.

In GW2, for example, underwater combat is a complete gimmick.  Half your skills don't work underwater, meaning your normal build probably won't work.  And in fact, Anet has just thrown in the towel on underwater combat in WvW and will be draining the Borderland lakes in a coming update.

And, if you recall, GW2 was actually delayed so they could work on underwater combat.  Keep that in mind when you realize that now, a year later, they are actually removing that feature from a major part of the game (WvW).  That's a complete waste of development resources.

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by HoiPoloi

Underwater swimming is a nice extra, but it shouldn't be prioritized before other important parts of the game, especially underwater combat.

In GW2, for example, underwater combat is a complete gimmick.  Half your skills don't work underwater, meaning your normal build probably won't work.  And in fact, Anet has just thrown in the towel on underwater combat in WvW and will be draining the Borderland lakes in a coming update.

And, if you recall, GW2 was actually delayed so they could work on underwater combat.  Keep that in mind when you realize that now, a year later, they are actually removing that feature from a major part of the game (WvW).  That's a complete waste of development resources.

Actually, as the OP mentioned, it's not just a nice extra, it's part of a racial trait of one of the core races. It needs to be in the game.

I'm getting a little tired of new MMOs coming out, supposedly ground breaking (but apparently not water breaking) that don't offer even half the features that games like EverQuest 2 offered at launch almost 10 years ago now.

Maybe they should stop hyping these damn games before they have the features they need actually implemented.

• RhazesRhazes Member Posts: 7
    ESO is combat game I'm surprised it even has swimming at all and not invisible barriers around the water. MMOCG Massivily Multiplayer Online combat game. When your bored kill stuff, when your bored of that kill more stuff and when that bores you kill some more stuff. Underwater swimming, sitting in chairs things like that oppress the mouth breathing combating only players that seem to have dominion over many MMO devs the last few years. Ask this question on Bethesda forums and you will get half a dozen posts from players asking why something like swimming underwater should even be in game.
  • KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by Rhazes
    ESO is combat game I'm surprised it even has swimming at all and not invisible barriers around the water. MMOCG Massivily Multiplayer Online combat game. When your bored kill stuff, when your bored of that kill more stuff and when that bores you kill some more stuff. Underwater swimming, sitting in chairs things like that oppress the mouth breathing combating only players that seem to have dominion over many MMO devs the last few years. Ask this question on Bethesda forums and you will get half a dozen posts from players asking why something like swimming underwater should even be in game.

Cuz its an Elder Scrolls game and well why even have a race which can breathe underwater if there isn't any swimming underwater...

Swimming is more immersive and many really enjoy it as it could lead to many unexpected adventures in an MMO

Wouldn't it be fun to grief someone fishing and wondering why they aren't catching anything?

You could stealth through the water as a sleek argonian in Cryodiil or any other race using waterbreathing pots to add a new dimension to PvP.

It isn't really that hard to impliment underwater swimming yet make it so PvP cannot occur underwater in Cryodiil yet you can attack non stealthed enemy players from land while they are swimming.

Also remember attacking slaughterfish and being bit by them in Elder Scrolls games?

Underwater swimming best be a part of this game or I am going to have to take all my frustrations out on players in Cryodiil while playing my Argonian called Landlubber

Sigh, please make it so...

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    THey better add underwater content. Square Enix already pooped on themselves by not allowing players to get in the water in XIV.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Rhazes

these people ask this because they are completely ignorant. They say they like X game, but they dont want anything added to the gmae that would make it better. They want the game as it is (even if it has tons of limitaion that prevent people form enjoying the full game). Just ignorants that shouldnt be allowed to even suggest things on the games forums. Incomplete games should not be accepted as finished products on the market.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

I would love it if they would add underwater exploration to the game like the single player variants at some point. 

They could also add utility spells via potions and alchemy.  For instance you could make a water breathing potion or a levitation potion.  This would be fair as everyone can use them.

I would still like to have it even if I spend 99% on my time on the surface.  I loved swimming around in Everquest.  It adds more flavor to the game to have different options for exploration.  Besides it seems silly you are swimming in the water and can't go underneath it.
  • handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322
    yes I was surprised at this it makes the game feel cheap and unnatural.
    It wont be a deal breaker for me either.  I'm going to get the game.  I just hope they add it at some point.  I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.
  • ErrollTheElderErrollTheElder Member Posts: 2

It was a cool thing about Everquest. I remember fighting sharks underwater. For all its faults its easy to forget how much you could do in EQ.

I would not expect them to change how swimming works in the short term. DAOC had it added but when they retrofitted  the water it was terrible. It was like they had a separate underwater zone not a fluid (excuse the pun) transition like EQ and WoW. Of course, those two games had much lower poly counts.

I didn't play Skyrim, did that have underwater?

In any case, I can't imagine this being a significant deal breaker for anyone who was seriously interested in the game otherwise.

In Skyrim you can go underwater, but there is only the occasional treasure to find.  I believe there was one or two dungeons that required you to go underwater, but not a lot.  EQ was probably the game that had the most underwater exploration.  There were a few large/complex dungeons that were entirely underwater.
  • MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

I would -love- underwater exploration and the like. Perhaps even puzzle quests, but I do not want underwater combat. In fact, it would be pretty awesome if slaughterfish and it's like was a real threat...

Skyrim did this right. You couldn't cast spells or fight underwater.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    This was one of my complaints as well.  Not a deal breaker but I don't like it.  At least you can swim but I still want to be able to explore underwater.  Dumb they didn't add it
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Underwater exploration would be a nice added feature, but I wouldn't bat an eyelid if it never made it into the game.

Allowing one race to have unlimited underwater breathing would cause huge issues if there was underwater PVP at all, because it's a huge advantage. Everyone else will have to take a stack of underwater-breathing potions, which would mean they couldn't use any other kind of potion, whereas Argonians would be free to use as many potions as they like.

• Look, honestly, anyone who swims in armor should drown horribly above or below the water line.

I think underwater to some degree in fun in a general sense, so is flying.  But seriously even wearing robes is a serious problem and leather armor would probaby kill you and metal armor is a death sentence in water.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I was disappointed to NOT find the feature in the game.

This is a AAA title with a subscription. Zenimax chose to raise the expectation bar with a  required subscription.

Originally posted by gestalt11

Look, honestly, anyone who swims in armor should drown horribly above or below the water line.

I think underwater to some degree in fun in a general sense, so is flying.  But seriously even wearing robes is a serious problem and leather armor would probaby kill you and metal armor is a death sentence in water.

This is a fantasy game where people are using magic spells.  Without the aid of modern technology underwater exploration would be very limited in real life.  In a fantasy game I don't see how it really matters if wearing heavy armor limits weather you can swim or not.  It's more of a personal choice or opinion.  I'd rather see it in games as I like underwater exploration and dungeons to an extent.  I also enjoy being able to levitate and walk in the air, run faster, turn into different creatures, and things of that general nature that would be considered more utility type things. 

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303
    If underwater exploration/combat doesn't make it in, part of me feel bad for those who really enjoy it. Another part of me will miss being able to gather resources and look for underwater treasure. A much larger part of me will jump for joy that underwater combat is not in this game. I loathe underwater combat. In my opinion it's sucked in every game from EQ to GW2. As a previous poster pointed out, GW2 even tried to make it interesting. If it does make it eventually, I'll be happy for those who enjoy it, just don't make it part of one of the major quest lines please.
  • Originally posted by Flyte27
    Originally posted by gestalt11

Look, honestly, anyone who swims in armor should drown horribly above or below the water line.

This is a fantasy game where people are using magic spells.  Without the aid of modern technology underwater exploration would be very limited in real life.  In a fantasy game I don't see how it really matters if wearing heavy armor limits weather you can swim or not.  It's more of a personal choice or opinion.  I'd rather see it in games as I like underwater exploration and dungeons to an extent.  I also enjoy being able to levitate and walk in the air, run faster, turn into different creatures, and things of that general nature that would be considered more utility type things. 

Yes I very much enjoy the movement powers in say DCUO.  Super speed especially is very fun in that when you run straight up a building and jump at precisely the right time, you can completely sky like a guy doing motocross.

But see this stuff is designed into the game.  TES games often have a water breathing spell.  But even with that, when you wear heavy armor you should sink and walk in the bottom and only be able to get out by walking up a slope to shore.

At least if you want to do it in a high quality manner.  If we want to be honest with ourselves most underwater stuff in almost ALL games  is really quite low quality.

I am not saying don't have it in.  I am just for those of you who do want it in, you should really start thinking about how cooler it really could be rather than water=levitate with breath meter.  That was fine for games from 20 years ago.  I submit to you its not so fine now.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

I can't think of anything more immersion breaking than not being able to go underwater while you're swimming.

Honestly, at the risk of bending NDA a bit, this *was* something I noticed during the Beta and did snap me very much out of the game. It wasn't an "F* this" moment, but I was painfully reminded that I was playing an incomplete video game... and not exploring the world of Tamriel. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by umcorian

I can't think of anything more immersion breaking than not being able to go underwater while you're swimming.

Swimming in a full set of armor comes to mind.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

the only bearable underwater content/combat is in gw2, and even there it annoys most people after a time. so: i dont care if its missing.