Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Media] General: Social Integration

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It's the time of week we all look forward to with the latest edition of MMORPG.Comic. This time, artist Blaz Klaric brings us his irreverent look into the foibles of the MMO worlds we love, and love to hate. Check out "Social Interaction" and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

Check our Blaz Klaric's MMORPG.comic: Social Integration.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TeshrrarTeshrrar Member Posts: 26
    That's why I stopped play MMOs and back to my offline games. And they worth every coin.
  • caiozetcaiozet Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Sad thing is, this really isn't that far away.
  • ApocalypseSunriseApocalypseSunrise Member Posts: 80

Any game that uses popups that cover at least half of the screen in an area with respawning mobs loses credibility in my book. Any game that has social media connections directly in the game also loses credibility.

Great comic btw. :)

Yes, I've read a poem. Try not to faint.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Just today someone asked me, how did people stay in touch 30 years ago before social media, email, or smart phones.  I said they didn’t.  What was available 30 years ago?  Pen & paper, phone, and a select few had email (Darpa).  

Games have social media tools because gamers asked for them, sure companies what those sweet mailing list of potential customers.  But gamers today don’t believe that a tree in the woods makes a sound, if its not tweeted about.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• TolgeranthTolgeranth Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I cringed, and then sighed, this is the future of mmo's. Great comic.
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Last panel is missing a "W" at the start.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    This was the single best of the series yet. Although it didn't make me laugh, I sighed in agreement with the statement it made. 
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    And this is why I hate F2P games :)  P2P or gtfo my computer :)
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Great one :)

However, on a small sidenote, there's an error at the start, it's not the future, it's sadly the present - and in the case of the now closed FGO it's already the past...

Gavarg, it has nothing to do with the payment model, for example TSW had right at the launch F*ckbook integrated, alongside with a f*ckbook minigame (the not-so-secret war :) ). Until the people won't stop using those social BS sites, those will keep infecting more and more games in the future, both f2p and p2p (it there will be anymore p2p in the future, I mean)

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Teshrrar
    That's why I stopped play MMOs and back to my offline games. And they worth every coin.

Actually I have good social life and not need games for that :-), I see socializing in game only as added bonus. But main reason i do not stick with single player RGP games is because they are way INFERIOR to MMO's in any sense. Of course, imo from my experience.

• ArdynArdyn Member UncommonPosts: 9

I find the "Share" button when hovering over the image especially amusing..

Good comic though.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Isn't that Shroud of the Avatar? Tee her

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

I remember when social networking meant hanging out with people who enjoyed your companionship, and had nothing to do with advertising.

Then again for 1,800 crystals, who cares?  :-)

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    I've played Clash of Clans and I'm enjoying playing Dungeon Keeper - the crystals for publicity is not nearly as bad as the cartoon suggests - you only get 'asked to share' once, if that.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Another good one.  Thanks :)

And scarey sad, at the same time...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Isn't Wildstar planning something like this?  I think someone gave them the wrong definition of the term "social gaming".  I can't think of a single reason to post any MMORPG accomplishment on my Facebook wall, or elsewhere.  I share that with the people I'm actually gaming with.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

One of the best yet.

Its all about social media, but do we have good tools for the social side in game? No, but who cares as long as you can press a Like?

"I've played Clash of Clans and I'm enjoying playing Dungeon Keeper - the crystals for publicity is not nearly as bad as the cartoon suggests - you only get 'asked to share' once, if that."

And this does not make you grieve for how low MMOs have fallen?

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165

Umm ok

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    2 people liked this on Facebook. Irony. 

• TeshrrarTeshrrar Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by Teshrrar

Actually I have good social life and not need games for that :-), I see socializing in game only as added bonus. But main reason i do not stick with single player RGP games is because they are way INFERIOR to MMO's in any sense. Of course, imo from my experience.

I got tired of the new generation MMOs and Players. I never played because "social life", I've started play MMORPGs thinking about RPGs, and this was a true on first MMOs. Today we don't see RPG Players anymore, what make MMOs just it: MMOs.

Because of that, I back to offline games (as my wife, and she's very patience, just to you see) who can offer to me a changing world, a history, a fair evolution without no-reason-grind, disgusting players and etc. And when the market don't offer to me a good next RPG, it's ok, I still have my books.

[Sorry about my english]

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         Thing is...... Companies like to call this social, but in my opinion it's just as annoying as spam flyers in my mailbox at the curb..  It's more about advertising and marketing then it is social interaction..  Where are the days of guild websites, in game email along with normal CHAT CHANNELS.. (yelling "LFG" doesn't count).. lol Since leaving WoW about 4 years ago, I haven't even come close to finding a game as social as EQ1 was prior to the PoP expansion..