Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSoft Q4 Earning Reports - [mod edit]

MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

So, the latest earning reports came out from NCSoft, and as the naysayers said would definitely happen, once more GW2 profits has slipped, showing the inevitable decline of GW2 as everybody stops playing it.  (This link and the highlights lifted from Reddit, thanks Livespartan235, whoever you are. :P )

Today the NCsoft released their Q4 report here are some points http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/earnings.aspx

• Lineage grew significantly in Korea while GW2 remained solid in US/EU.
  • Royalty revenues surged with Blade and Soul China kicking in.
  • GW2 was strong on the back of end of year sales promotions.
  • Contribution from Korea increased with Lineage reaching a new all time high
  • Guild Wars 2 became the 2nd biggest revenue sources along with well settled in-game item sales model
  • Guild Wars 2 earned 33.6 Billion Won = 31.58 Million USD up from Q3s 22.94 Million USD and exceeding sales expectations for Q4
  • Next step for GW2 China will be announced in the near future
  • Wildstar is expected to launch some time in Mid 2014
  • No decision has been made for GW2 expansion for now the focus is provide the LW updates and bring GW2 to China they will update when they have more visibility on the issue of an expansion
  • For 2013 GW2 Made 123.3 Billion Won = 115.9 Million USD also exceeding sales expectations

.... 31.58 is smaller than 22.94 right?  Math was always my worst class in school. :(

Comments

• Nova700Nova700 Member UncommonPosts: 28

No....

31 > 22

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Nova700

No....

31 > 22

Sarcasm is wasted on you people.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

GW2 continues to show what a B2P model with Cash shop can do.

While it serves as a really good example, it also shows the weakness of that model.

SWTOR made 138M USD just in their cash shop plus the sub revenue (which would be around 90M USD assuming 500k sub)

Subjective 'which game is better' garbage argument aside, purely from a numbers perspective, ANet probably isn't maximising GW2's profits.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well putting game for 'sale' for $40 worked well on their behalf, and added a cash shop they are going to milk those loyal to the game for far more then a sub fee would. 

I mean if your going about money meaing success, then candy crush saga must be the biggest game out there to date ranking in cash! Heck got Clash of Clans as well! I mean money totally means everything if a game is good or not, and its growing in popularity versus having dedicated few funding a game to an extreme.

Heck, SWTOR is obviously a stunning success raking in plenty of cash for F2P with population just steadily rising right? Pssh, couldn't be a bunch of dedicated people having their wallets drained and the numbers not actually heavily impacted! Just saying, even IF the game lost money, its more about how many are playing CONSISTENTLY (aka not just randomly logging on for a minute and not playing)  then it is about cash flow.  

Both arguements bashing the game saying it would earn less or saying it would earn more and it showing the game failing/succeeding are just silly arguments that hold no value to just how the game in terms of player or even how GOOD of a game it is.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Both arguements bashing the game saying it would earn less or saying it would earn more and it showing the game failing/succeeding are just silly arguments that hold no value to just how the game in terms of player or even how GOOD of a game it is.

Well, once you start earning below a certain amount of money, it's definitely failing.  Games shut down for reasons like that. :c

I make no judgement on whether GW2 is good or bad based off of earnings, simply pointing out what it IS earning.

Money.

This is not an answer to any topic on the quality of GW2, this is an answer to people saying that GW2 is in an irretrievable decline in revenue.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

Though I don't play GW2 (anymore) i think it's a great game for people who enjoy WvWvW, pvp, and casual gaming.  I prefer trinity/raiding.

However, think of it this way, any maybe some of the naysayers can see how GREAT GW2 realy is doing.

They're making about 30 million dollars every quarter for a total fo $120,000,000 a year.  This isn't profit but i'm guessing total revenue.  Regardless, that's 10 million dollars a month.

How many subscribers does a P2P mmo need to have at $15.00 a month for it to equal 10 million revenue?

~667,000. 

That's right.... you need that many subscribers in a P2P mmo to equal the B2P model.   I think the amount fo money going into GW2 is far less than a game like WoW or FFXIV who has to spend money on raiding content.   The living story seems lower maintanance than raiding content.

I'm really happy for GW2, unlike SWTOR because thier cash shop really is mostly cosmetic.  It's not Pay to win.  So good for GW2.  

I played GW2 for 4 months.  What the hell are people spending money on... that is what baffles me...

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    B2P game that's been out for a year declines in sales? Stop the presses!
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by coretex666

You are wasting your life defending this game.

How long have you been doing it, 2 years now?

You are wasting your life bashing this game.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by coretex666

You are wasting your life defending this game.

I actually mostly just post to clear up factual errors. :V  Because that bugs me.  And you'll notice I don't post for weeks at a time!  Too busy playing.  Which honestly, I think people who find a game they can enjoy are the lucky ones.

Even if I hate their game, if somebody is having fun with a game, then that's obviously the right game for them and they're lucky to have it. :)

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Is the future of GW2 stable? Yes

Does GW2 have a large enough active player base to enjoy all aspects of the game whenever I log in? Yes

good enough

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

GW2 deserves its success. It's a breath of fresh air compared to for example Wildstar and TESO, which are both shining examples of shamelessly copying everything from WoW and then putting a few twists here and there to make it "unique".

True, GW2 has its own faults, my personal biggest gripe being the lack of any roleplaying support and tools. Nevertheless, it's quickly going for the silver medal in my "Most hours spent" list of MMOs and with this pace, it's going to pass WoW later this year and start threatening Ultima Online.

I'm really excited to see what happens in the Living Story next week as Lion's Arch becomes under heavy attack. And even more excited to see what big features they implement after the first season of LS is done. I've spent probably almost 200 euros in GW2 already and if they keep up the quality of the last two patches, I might just open my wallet again.

Originally posted by Methos12
    B2P game that's been out for a year declines in sales? Stop the presses!

It's cool that you actually read the release. It increased a lot since Q3 ;)

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

OP, you should probably edit the title of the thread based on the info you posted.

Originally posted by tom_gore

GW2 deserves its success. It's a breath of fresh air compared to for example Wildstar and TESO, which are both shining examples of shamelessly copying everything from WoW and then putting a few twists here and there to make it "unique".

True, GW2 has its own faults, my personal biggest gripe being the lack of any roleplaying support and tools. Nevertheless, it's quickly going for the silver medal in my "Most hours spent" list of MMOs and with this pace, it's going to pass WoW later this year and start threatening Ultima Online.

I'm really excited to see what happens in the Living Story next week as Lion's Arch becomes under heavy attack. And even more excited to see what big features they implement after the first season of LS is done. I've spent probably almost 200 euros in GW2 already and if they keep up the quality of the last two patches, I might just open my wallet again.

I love it when people claim TESO copied WoW. Ok, humour me then. Tell me what has TESO copied from WoW and it better be an extensive list which warrants the term "shamelessly copying".

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Unlike many of the other crap games on the market which are rightfully chasing each other around the drain, GW2 is one of the few better games. There is alot i don't like about it and i wouldn't play it myself, but my personal taste aside i can't deny that it is a very solid title.

Glad that it's doing well.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

This was definitely a solid game and one of the first in ages that I actually had some desire to reach the original end level. It just felt very repetitive in the end and the lack of skill progression felt as you got past level 20 was just a turn off to me. Loved the graphics, especially the cities. I'm glad its doing well. Who knows, one day I might pop back in to see how its doing.

I just never understand why forum goers are so intent on focusing on the financials ready to jump on the hate band wagon or the reverse. I feel like who cares. If you hate the game, go play something else. If you like the game, enjoy. As long as they are profitable and they have a healthy sub base thats all that matters.

There Is Always Hope!

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

I am really pleased to read that GW2 model is successful.

Definitely one of the games out there with the best content and one of the "fairest" cash shop. It is such a tough environments for MMOs at the moment that this is very encouraging and shows there is "another way".

Best thing is: while I don't have time to play it too much at the moment, in 3-4 months time when I will want to pick it up again, it is clearly still going to be there.

I support that title (with all its faults) and will continue to do so in the foreseeable future.

• WikileaksEUWikileaksEU Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Comparing SWTOR with GW2 is wrong. SWTOR has optional subscription and Star Wars also is a strong and well known IP. The launch of GW2 in China will increase GW2 revenue by 300%.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by skyline385

I love it when people claim TESO copied WoW. Ok, humour me then. Tell me what has TESO copied from WoW and it better be an extensive list which warrants the term "shamelessly copying".

Ok I'll give you that TESO is a LOT more original than Wildstar and maybe should be left out in the comparison. I guess it's just me being tired of the traditional "questing is the main route to leveling up" stuff that also TESO is guilty of. Combat is obviously very different, as is the first person view (both of which were originally not planned for the game, btw.), and the open world PvP as an endgame borrows more from DAoC than WoW.

My apologies.

Originally posted by WikileaksEU
    Comparing SWTOR with GW2 is wrong. SWTOR has optional subscription and Star Wars also is a strong and well known IP. The launch of GW2 in China will increase GW2 revenue by 300%.

Nice number. I am willing to bet it's not that successful, due to having quite a western theme overall.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by WikileaksEU

Nah, it'll increase by over 9000% once GW2 is released in China. /Sarcasm

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by skyline385

Ok I'll give you that TESO is a LOT more original than Wildstar and maybe should be left out in the comparison. I guess it's just me being tired of the traditional "questing is the main route to leveling up" stuff that also TESO is guilty of. Combat is obviously very different, as is the first person view (both of which were originally not planned for the game, btw.), and the open world PvP as an endgame borrows more from DAoC than WoW.

My apologies.

Well i respect you for admitting that.

Most people would just come up with incorrect analogies to go on about. I will agree that WIldstar is very similar to WoW but TESO is going down a very different path. A path that i found enjoyable in the Beta after years of traditional MMOs.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

good game, not P2W like all other themeparks.

new level 80 with basic exotic gear or less can beat max geared players who bought their stuff through gem buying.

even killed level 80s on my upscaled toons 1vs1, nice nice nice.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

GW2 is obviously doing ok, though $120 Million is light years behind WoW reveneues which is about $ 1 Billion a year.

Just to say that a good Subscription based MMO is always more profitable than a B2P or F2P game.