Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen: "We Are NOT Giving Up On KickStarter By Any Means"

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A new post has cropped up on the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Facebook page that reassures KickStarter backers that the team has categorically not given up on the process and that, fully funded or not via KS, there is a plan in the works for other sources of revenue to bring Brad McQuaid's vision to fruition.

Hi all. Quick update:

1. We are NOT giving up on Kickstarter by any means.

2. We are setting up a comprehensive web site that will include all of the KS info and the ability to pledge or re-pledge. This will launch when the KS campaign ends, whether KS is successful or not.

3. We have already started preparing to reach out to Investors. We are finalizing some spreadsheets and polishing up the Business Plan. This phase has been planned and will also happen whether or not we meet the KS goal.

-Brad

With only nine days to go, the Pantheon project has not yet reached the 50% funded mark of $800,000.

In addition to the Facebook post, Brad McQuaid is reaching out via Twitter:

If anyone knows an angel investor or other type of investor who might be interested in investing in VR, please let me know.

— Brad McQuaid (@Aradune) February 13, 2014

Check out the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen page for more information.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Ouch. Coming in with backup plan explanation before the KS campaign is over doesn't look good. Here's hoping tht the game still gets made, even if it sounded like a western version of PSO.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

WTF. pisses me off that companies with the means to "reach out to investors" goes and looks for handouts FIRST.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

I don't it's a "backup" plan as much as simply planning ahead to search for more investors and sources of crowd funding. $800,000 is just the first step. This kickstarter was simply intended to, "kick" things off...if you'll pardon the pun. :) 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I'm not trying to knock this game in particular, but how many of these games are developers going to flood the genre with? Anymore each mmorpg fan will get to pick his very own title because there will be hundreds of thousands to choose from. They need to all get together and make one good game instead of hundreds of the same thing. /shrug

Anyway, I do hope they achieve their goal for what its worth. Everyone needs some sort of work to feed their families.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,184
    Originally posted by PulsarMan

I don't it's a "backup" plan as much as simply planning ahead to search for more investors and sources of crowd funding. $800,000 is just the first step. This kickstarter was simply intended to, "kick" things off...if you'll pardon the pun. :) 

I don't think that counts as a pun. That's exactly what "kickstarter" is...

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289
    The day of the "second job" diku themepark has passed. Brad did a poor job of selling this game as anything other than a rehash of the first EQ. I'm sorry, but just having a big open map does not make your game a sandbox Brad.
  • barezzbarezz Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Sounds like people just have a lot of sense to me.  "I'm going to make a super cool game that is neato like EQ1"!  Man where have I heard that before...
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

A Brad McQuaid project that is failing and desperate.   Somewhere out there, there is a island with a lost tribe that has never been touched by civilization.  But even they, likely, are not surprised by this development.

Thank god, hopefully this gets shut down before he gets anyone's money.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Here's an idea for game companies: actually have something tangible to show that you've already invested your OWN hard earned money, time and effort to a game. Stop showing up on KS with ideas and concept art. 
  • ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776
    I guess Brad can add vaporware salesman to his list of accomplishments now.
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Translation:  We are not giving up on Kickstarter, we are just focusing on post funding after the Kickstarter and don't care whether Kickstarter succeeds because we have other options in the works anyway.

Spending any time doing anything not related to the Kickstarter when a Kickstarter is active gives a negative image in my opinion.  They claim to have done research and any successful Kickstarter post mortem I've seen warns developers (or anyone running the Kickstarter) to focus 100% of your time to your Kickstarter including asset production that specifically will help the Kickstarter.  Doing anything outside of that means you aren't fully devoted to the Kickstarter, period.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Another "Me Too" MMO only gets one so far.

• DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Originally posted by superconducting

Another "Me Too" MMO only gets one so far.

"Me Too"? Brad created EQ which is what all of the "Me Too" MMOs copied, including WoW.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Why are some of these big name past MMO game developers, for example Richard Garriott and Brad McQuaid turning to us the gaming community to fund their games and not big name studios?

Or maybe a better way of asking that question would be-

What reason could big name studios have for not funding/producing another MMO from some of the industries biggest names in MMO's development, for example Richard Garriott and Brad McQuaid?

I posted that in another thread about funding Pantheon.

And all dickishness aside, the blunt answer to that question is - because the big name studios arnt that stupid.

Me personally, I'd rather give my money to someone making their 1st attempt, than someone whos failed just recently. And more specifically; failed just recently with the backing of a big named studio.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Originally posted by Nitth

WTF. pisses me off that companies with the means to "reach out to investors" goes and looks for handouts FIRST.

Investors have interests that tend to run counter to the players'.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454
    You know it's a well run company with confidence in its future when it solicits investment via Freaking TWITTER!!!image

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Saerain
    Originally posted by Nitth

Investors have interests that tend to run counter to the players'.

...like wanting a return on their investment. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Hokie

What reason could big name studios have for not funding/producing another MMO from some of the industries biggest names in MMO's development, for example Richard Garriott and Brad McQuaid?

Because the project is niche and not something big studios tend to back especially without knowing the market for it.

Me personally, I'd rather give my money to someone making their 1st attempt, than someone whos failed just recently. And more specifically; failed just recently with the backing of a big named studio.

Not me. Someone with no experience trying to make an MMO is a recipe for disaster. At least someone like McQuaid has hopefully learned some lessons from his past mistakes.

• BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by wormed
    Here's an idea for game companies: actually have something tangible to show that you've already invested your OWN hard earned money, time and effort to a game. Stop showing up on KS with ideas and concept art. 

This basically.

I really like the ideas for this game, the class updates sound nothing short of amazing. 

However, I'd like to see something before I pledge my money. Yes, I'm that shallow, and I'm not even embarrassed about it. I know games are not about the graphics but I still want to see if the style and feel of the game will be something I'd be interested in.

I'm willing to bet half my ass that the KS would be a lot more successful if they had something to show.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

It sure does look like they've given up. Even their own backers were admitting how poorly it had been ran, how little interaction Brad and team had with their backers, the tiers a shamble, and a trickle of information about the game, it's been a pathetic mess.

Brad was unprepared with the Kickstarter, it shows badly, and looks to have been spending time on their website to get funds coming in after the Kickstarter fails. The way the Kickstarter has been ran I'm not surprised people don't have any faith in them with another mmorpg. I was hoping they'd pick themselves up, dust off, after the first few weeks of utter disappointment in the project. People didn't back the project and Brad and team just showed why their caution was needed during this Kickstarter.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ZajjarZajjar Member UncommonPosts: 116

Give them some slack, ATLEAST THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE a game that we actually wana play, instead it being another procrastination game

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    It's hard to call 1/3 of a million dollars plus a "failure". I still have high hopes for seeing Pantheon come to fruition. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Zajjar

Give them some slack, ATLEAST THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE a game that we actually wana play, instead it being another procrastination game

The idea of the game itself I would like, but it still doesn't take away from the fact it was a poorly ran Kickstarter, and very disappointing. I'd like nothing more than more old school mmorpg's being made, but not if it means backing people that can't even run a Kickstarter campaign. Just doesn't give much hope. I do hope they end up getting it made, but I have no faith in the team leading it atm, hope they change my mind.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

He pretty much has been saying this from the start though so its not a shocker. When they launched the kickstarter it seemed as if he was going to make the game one way or another so I didn't feel the need to back it because I didn't see a reason too. If the game gets made in the future I might check it out, but with the bare bones feature list they had listed the game did not really pull me in.

Wish them luck and may check it out in 3-4 years if he gets some funding behind him.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by SBFord
    It's hard to call 1/3 of a million dollars plus a "failure". I still have high hopes for seeing Pantheon come to fruition. :)

Me too!!!

There's a ridiculous amount of nay-sayers. I'm one of the 1000 who got in for $45. I get alpha, beta and the digital copy of the game + goodies. The rest of them will come crawling, begging for a alpha/beta invite once the game reaches that point. They are gonna regret sitting on that fence 2-3 years back. (today) :)