Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shroud of the Avatar: Puffy Shirts & a Duel

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Shroud of the Avatar backers and fans will want to help the team achieve the $3.25 million dollar mark in order to witness a fencing duel, complete with puffy shirts, between none other than Lord British and Darkstarr themselves. The details of the challenge were posted recently on the official SotA site.

Be it known that Lord British hath challenged me, Darkstarr to a fencing match whilst both wearing puffy shirts. I, Darkstarr hath accepted said match pending the achievement of $3.25 Million in funding! Huzzah!

Be it also known that should such funding be achieved by Release 3 (Feb 20) then Rustic Dragon shall train Darkstarr in the fencing arts and this training shall be captured in a video montage with music!

Be it also known that should such funding reach $3.3M by Release 3 (Feb 20) then the loser of said tourney shall go jump in a lake!

Sincerely,

Darkstarr

To Sum Up:

• $3.25M = LB vs. Darkstarr Fencing in puffy shirts

• $3.25M by Feb 20 = Training Montage

• $3.3M by Feb 20 = Loser jumps in the lake

Find out more on the Shroud of the Avatar site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• enoliceenolice Member UncommonPosts: 71
    im so tired of that all " help the team achieve "... 3 ,5 ,20 ,100 mln $ and in the end we get another crap game with no population after 2 months ( yes TEAM is already rich and smiling in our faces) ,people are tired aswell foe paying to get to beta  , old days they ask as to play in beta to help them get product rdy now they want us to pay so we may get rdy game if we pay enough .... silly and sad
  • jtripperjtripper Member UncommonPosts: 115

It's the new world of crowdfunding and paid alpha/beta access.  Even Steam got on the bandwagon and offers Early Access.

In the past, publishers and developers had to beg for beta testers and offered contests and prizes to entice the public to join.  Now, it's the other way around.  Granted, most projects do get you the full retail game but there are a few projects that still make you pay in addition for the final game.

But as with anything, it's all about perspective and what you get out of it.  Some crowdfunding projects truly do engage with the community to help shape the game while others just want testers to find bugs.  And still others don't bother about feedback and simply want pre-orders / pre-release funding.  Your mileage may vary.

I can say that SotA is one of the few that is very engaged with the community of backers and very transparent -- sometimes so much so at the cost of public image for those that don't understand the development process.

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178
    I was about to buy this crap. Than I saw the news about in-game cash shop, houses selling for 100s of $$$, crafting tools and other BS. Thank you, I'll rather keep playing SWTOR, support something like Gloria Victis or play some single player rpgs.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Originally posted by enolice

im so tired of that all " help the team achieve "... 3 ,5 ,20 ,100 mln $ and in the end we get another crap game with no population after 2 months ( yes TEAM is already rich and smiling in our faces) ,people are tired aswell foe paying to get to beta  , old days they ask as to play in beta to help them get product rdy now they want us to pay so we may get rdy game if we pay enough .... silly and sad

Just ignore these when you see them. I understand your concern, but try to focus on the already full developed games. For example check out 3 to 4 year old games that have tons of dlc and are at bargain prices right now. I've been rocking Borderlands 2 lately and having a blast same with Skyrim. Let this new and overhyped stuff roll along and spend your money on fully developed, fully tested, 100% optimized finished products. You will be able to enjoy your games and kick back and laugh at everyone paying to beta test games that you are going to enjoy at a discount someday and not have to deal with the bugs.
  • HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

^

• enderandrewenderandrew Member Posts: 6

For those that are genuinely excited for a new Ultima-inspired game, they're doing a special promotion. Existing Founders can gift a new pledge to others. The recipients get access to the game, alpha/beta access, and the exclusive Founder rewards, all at a reduced cost.

If you're interested, contact me at enderandrew <at> gmail <dot> com and I can hook you up.

• InsaneMembraneInsaneMembrane Member Posts: 130

Pay to play beta but also at the same time shape the game and the direction it takes. What is really "so tired" are all you ill informed haters.

Originally posted by jtripper

It's the new world of crowdfunding and paid alpha/beta access.  Even Steam got on the bandwagon and offers Early Access.

In the past, publishers and developers had to beg for beta testers and offered contests and prizes to entice the public to join.  Now, it's the other way around.  Granted, most projects do get you the full retail game but there are a few projects that still make you pay in addition for the final game.

But as with anything, it's all about perspective and what you get out of it.  Some crowdfunding projects truly do engage with the community to help shape the game while others just want testers to find bugs.  And still others don't bother about feedback and simply want pre-orders / pre-release funding.  Your mileage may vary.

I can say that SotA is one of the few that is very engaged with the community of backers and very transparent -- sometimes so much so at the cost of public image for those that don't understand the development process.

Nobody ever begged players to play beta. We players have always been in a mad rush to get into betas. Again, this isn't paying for a beta, what you gain is access to the team and assets early as well, you get a chance to make things for this game and you also get paid back for it! 

Several things have been done recently which have changed some of the opinions I once had, they are taking a lot of assets, now including music, directly from the community. Not only that, but they are helping that same community out in the development and production of those assets on top of their own game.

Seriously, what more could you ask for? Portalarium is picking up their game.

Originally posted by SimonVDH
    I was about to buy this crap. Than I saw the news about in-game cash shop, houses selling for 100s of $$$, crafting tools and other BS. Thank you, I'll rather keep playing SWTOR, support something like Gloria Victis or play some single player rpgs.

Nobody is forcing you to throw down your mom's $ on those items, show me a game today which doesn't allow people to wallet warrior and I'll show you a pretty poor game at the same time. If you play the Single Player Offline version of Shroud of the Avatar, you don't even need to think about it so I'm not exactly sure why you are clearly upset at nothing at all.

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by InsaneMembrane

Nobody is forcing you to throw down your mom's $

How buthurt you must be to come up with something like this? If this is your only argument than you just admit that you have no argument at all.

Originally posted by InsaneMembrane

Nobody is forcing you to throw down your mom's $

How buthurt you must be to come up with something like this? If this is your only argument than you just admit that you have no argument at all.

That is not an argument put forward by me, it was a statement.

The argument was since you mentioned single player- "If you play the Single Player Offline version of Shroud of the Avatar, you don't even need to think about it so I'm not exactly sure why you are clearly upset at nothing at all."

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Not a huge fan of Garriott and Long as project managers, but if you are a crafter, you should seriously consider supporting the game, 'cause it is going to be a crafter's paradise.   If you don't help out the genre's you like, the may end up getting marginalized even further.   I just wish it had been steampunk, like they originally planned.

As much disdain as I throw Star Citizen's way, the amount of support it has gotten from its audience is certainly being noticed by game developers everywhere.   This will have an affect on future space game plans.   If you want the same sort of influence in other, less supported genres, you'd better be active somewhere.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.