Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: Landmark: February 2014 Producer's Letter Celebrates Alpha

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest EverQuest Next: Landmark Producer's Letter for February has arrived. In it, Dave Georgeson celebrates the release of the alpha test for EQN:L. He talks about what players have been up to during alpha, the amazing building and much more. Georgeson also talked about the new worlds and continents have been added, new equipment to allow for more content to be added in an easier fashion and more.He also speaks to new features that will arrive soon: Chat, water, combat, door triggers and more. The team will produce the list and ask players for feedback on what they'd like to see next.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

SOE has got something really special here.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• brittq101brittq101 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Lookin' forward to the list.  Alpha has been a blast so far, but am especially looking forward to the additions of water, more props, and combat.
  • funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
     This game has been a lot of fun. I haven't built a whole lot yet but I have had fun fooling around and digging and mining. I can't wait to see the introduction of mobs.
  • pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Nice message.
  • umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by funyahns
     This game has been a lot of fun. I haven't built a whole lot yet but I have had fun fooling around and digging and mining. I can't wait to see the introduction of mobs.

Yeah. Right now, the game looks like that old game Mario Paint... a neat distraction, but no real substance. Okay, so you can make a pretty castle. Neat, I guess. Assuming I didn't suck horribly at visual artistic creation (I'll probably get 1 wall done and call it a day), I'm just not getting the point here. 

I'm hoping the actual MMO ties it all together for me. 

• FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322

landed in alpha a few days ago. The game is about 10% done. They've basically just thrown all the basic minerals and gems into the world at the surface so people can get in and start mining.. and using basic crafting.  There is no substance because WE ARE ALPHA TESTING FEATURES AS THEY ROLL THEM OUT. thats what an alpha is in case people have forgotten and seem to think its just a free game to play. 

this being said, this game is amazing and has more potential to do things than anything on the market or in development right now. Ive been playing MMO's for 16 years, back since UO in 98. Ill tell you this, IMO, NOTHING has gotten me this excited with such little substance in a long, long time. The game, like i said is about 10-15% in, and ITS STILL A BLAST. Imagining where they can go from here.. it can only get more fun. I HATED EQ, and EQ2, and basically shat on the entire SOE world of games besides Planetside 1. I was a hardcore UO,Daoc, Shadowbane player and SOE was just a giant Smedly vagina in my eyes. But ill be the first to say it.. out of all the games we see being developed right now.. ESO, Wildstar, indy games.. Ive played most of them, and THIS GAME ,, this game right here, is the one to really watch. If you want innovation and next gen, this is the game.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Very impressed.

Other MMO dev teams need to be taking notes.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Dave is brilliant.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by umcorian
    Originally posted by funyahns

Yeah. Right now, the game looks like that old game Mario Paint... a neat distraction, but no real substance. Okay, so you can make a pretty castle. Neat, I guess. Assuming I didn't suck horribly at visual artistic creation (I'll probably get 1 wall done and call it a day), I'm just not getting the point here. 

I'm hoping the actual MMO ties it all together for me. 

Landmark and EQN will be game changer's.  When you login and experience what is there already,  I could go exploring for a week and not even come close to seeing all the content in this game.  its just 1 1/2 weeks into alpha.

The game is absolutely amazing and I will even be so bold as to say that I bet that Blizzard went back to the drawing board with Titan because of EQN/Landmark

Everything about this game, from the development style up is next gen. 

Think I'll look into buying share's for this one

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by pappacube
    Nice message.

Indeed. I truly like and respect how they handle this.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• SIRKRASIRKRA Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Yeah, Dave is great, You can see passion and enthusiasm in what he's doing!
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Even though Landmark will have "traditional" MMO features, if slaying monsters, getting loot and running dungeons is your thing, you are better off waiting for EQ Next. Landmark will always be first and foremost about building stuff and everything else will be just coating on top.

Just putting it here to manage everyone's expectations.

That said, if you do love building, there's no better MMO on the market or in the horizon than Landmark.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    So when is the next mmorpg coming exactly instead of this minecraft distraction. I don't know any mmoRPG players excited about this game at all.

In game chat channels, guilds, nobody is talking about EQnext.

SOE is so distracted by making money on Alpha that the real mmorpg seems to be forgotten about.

They are proper rinsing you lot.

That's because EQ Next will not come out for a couple of years still. With luck it could be a late 2015 release. Probably later.

Landmark is here now (well Alpha is) and they've got their hands full with it. Don't expect any major development on EQ Next before Landmark is launched, sometime during this year.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004

I like how I can build my crafting stations upsidedown, oversized and in the sky. My forges are sideways and I have steps leading down to the unclaimed land beneath my plot.

Would be nice to make the borders of my land plug in so it could touch the boards of another land and make a multiple plot town. We can kind of do it but the space in between the plots resets after awhile. I can't wait for multiple layers of resource nodes so there is a reason for my underground mine.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

love to play alpha:)

gonna be classic game in time if all works out good.

Originally posted by tom_gore
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    So when is the next mmorpg coming exactly instead of this minecraft distraction. I don't know any mmoRPG players excited about this game at all.

In game chat channels, guilds, nobody is talking about EQnext.

SOE is so distracted by making money on Alpha that the real mmorpg seems to be forgotten about.

They are proper rinsing you lot.

That's because EQ Next will not come out for a couple of years still. With luck it could be a late 2015 release. Probably later.

Landmark is here now (well Alpha is) and they've got their hands full with it. Don't expect any major development on EQ Next before Landmark is launched, sometime during this year.

Landmark and EQN are intertwined. They share systems, they are being developed together 

EQN is a premade world with lore, dungeons, towns, etc. etc. and will have limited player building (keeping with the games lore) in predefined area's.

Landmark is EQN with an open slate,  no premade world, lore, etc. etc. There will be mobs roaming the world. All content will be player created, player's can create anything-anywhere (not restricted by lore or predefined area's) Player's will have access to all the tools the developer's have to create EQN. My understanding is that Player's will be able to create there own dungeons, quests and encounter's.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Dave is brilliant.

Looking at your icon -  Age of Wushu era is over, Landmark Era begins?

Landmark represents a lot. I don't think there is a more suiting name.

;) 15 months of Wushu. I'm ahead of the curve. Things will be a little slow for me for the next few months. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"