Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: "How We Did It" - Creating Dark Anchors

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Zenimax has updated the Elder Scrolls Online site with a new developer diary to show the design process behind the Dark Anchor encounters. The diary goes in to the detail about early iterations of the Dark Anchors and how the team wanted to be sure that they were something players would want to explore via sound and detailed visuals.

There’s more to the Anchors than just the intimidating sights and sounds, though. Massive chains drive into the ground, and Daedra pulled from Oblivion pour from the inter-planar space, causing chaos in the vicinity. To loosen the grip of the Anchor, you’ll have to gather allies and drive the monsters back, but it won’t be easy. Dark Anchor encounters feature a huge amount of variations, and you never know exactly what you’ll be up against. To give them even more flavor and challenge, we added a selection of randomized special bosses. You might even find yourself facing one of Molag Bal’s own generals as you fight to send the Anchor back to Oblivion. The whole experience, from the frightening sounds to the chaotic battle, is complemented by Molag Bal himself (voiced by Malcolm McDowell) taunting you—daring you to defy him and laughing at your feeble attempts to defeat his champions.

Read the full developer diary on the Elder Scrolls Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Sooo... Rifts?

Smile

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by angriel
    So much cooler than rifts :)

I'll believe it when I see it. Right now it sounds like death rifts to me.

Smile

• EugeneKDudleyEugeneKDudley Member Posts: 58
    You did it like Rift? I don't have much more to say sad really.

"By all means, reach for the stars but you need to build the spaceship first"

• Nothing all that exciting, but more options and things to do are always a plus.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    you guys are so jaded and complain about everything. So more leveling options and fun gets thrown down to Rift did it first so its meh? Seriously some of you need to get lives and check your attitudes. Rift took all that mess from warhammer and guild wars 2 took it to the next level from Rift. It adds fun proven options for players to enjoy besides quest grinding.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by cronius77
    you guys are so jaded and complain about everything. So more leveling options and fun gets thrown down to Rift did it first so its meh? Seriously some of you need to get lives and check your attitudes. Rift took all that mess from warhammer and guild wars 2 took it to the next level from Rift. It adds fun proven options for players to enjoy besides quest grinding.

oh u didnt !!!just mention warhammer n gw2 in the same sentence as rift...

Rift so original ...well they literally carried the same concept into a scifi show...

<.<

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by orbitxo
    Originally posted by cronius77

oh u didnt !!!just mention warhammer n gw2 in the same sentence as rift...

Rift so original ...well they literally carried the same concept into a scifi show...

<.<

lol ha Yeah I for one loved the entire public quest thing in all of those games. Anything that adds verity to leveling gets my approval. More options makes games better, and in Rift that was the only way I enjoyed leveling was doing Rifts and events and the warfronts. Im glad ESO is using games like that to draw some of the best features from and improve upon them.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Remarkable!
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Sooo... Rifts?

Soooo....you do realise that rift didn't invent that mechanic and that the elder scrolls games did it first (oblivion gates) by quite a few years (2006)

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by EugeneKDudley
    You did it like Rift? I don't have much more to say sad really.

You mean trion (rift) did it like oblivion?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

they both got it from RIFTS!

just kidding

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    Es games had rifts in oblivion before rift.so

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by deakon
    Sooo... Rifts?

Soooo....you do realise that rift didn't invent that mechanic and that the elder scrolls games did it first (oblivion gates) by quite a few years (2006)

this, noobs ^^

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by deakon
    Sooo... Rifts?

lol, interesting that you say that. When Rift came out I thought "damn, they took that from Oblivion!"

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

So every time i visit the site, it takes me to the age gate. When i succesfully enter a birthday that makes me old enough, it takes me to the main page, instead of the article. When i click at the article on their page, it takes me to the age gate.

If that is the quality we can expect from ESO..

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

heres my story.

been in their previous betas-no problem.

last weekends beta i had issues login in the big black screen issue. posted on forums along with a few more dozen folks...and no reply.

research online, check their Fb and tweet pages...- nothing.

even asked in chat becouse i was able to log in with a black screen- no results.

their costumer support really stinks. if this persists at game  launch i will  be asking for a refund.

tech support beter get their game on- weekend stress tests wont cut it.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

elder scrolls had rifts before rift from Oblivion.

I do hope in some later expansion they actually bring in the Oblivion gates where players can enter and fight through hordes of Dremora to close the Oblivion Gate like in Oblivion but this time with other people.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Absolutely splendid to see a variety of methods to level up to spice up the typical quest grind. I'd like to see more public questing in mmo's like Warhammer did, one of the few features GW2 did right was take advantage of group questing (besides being a casual oriented piece of non-meaningful updated trashfest, imo =) ).
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440
    they basicaly are rifts or dynamic events or whatever some of the recent games with this feature has called them such as gw2 / rift and a few others but honestly who cares if its not original these kinds of dynamic events that happen in the world are pretty fun and they break up questing why would any1 have a problem with adding this content into teso I dont know you guys are just jaded imo.
  • zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Sooo... Rifts?

Warhammer Online had public quests too, so does gw2, their one of the new Norm mechanics with new mmos, a least from what ive seen thus far

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    An mmorpg without raiding is a FPS without gun or a football game without the option of tournaments or a war game without being able to fly a plane.

That is very closed minded man, and i personally don't agree with that.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• More options always cool for a mmorpg players, this feature looking very cool imo. I will be there at release..
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

ugh these live action feeding frenzies were soooo stupid in ffxiv arr.  people could basically just farm these and level up 3 times faster than crafting.  These rift/feeding frenzy portals are crap that people flock to for 5 seconds, zerg it down then go back about their business. they don't build community because its not a big investment in time or energy.  its basically free exp at like triple the rate. 

Well I was hoping they would take this idea because, for these feeding frenzies you don't have to group or chat with anyone.  there is no strategy involved.  its just like a beacon for people to run to to hack down and farm. 

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • DevianeDeviane Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Originally posted by orbitxo

heres my story.

been in their previous betas-no problem.

last weekends beta i had issues login in the big black screen issue. posted on forums along with a few more dozen folks...and no reply.

research online, check their Fb and tweet pages...- nothing.

even asked in chat becouse i was able to log in with a black screen- no results.

their costumer support really stinks. if this persists at game  launch i will  be asking for a refund.

tech support beter get their game on- weekend stress tests wont cut it.

yeah sucks to be you but whatever bro u can go and complaint  at the  odd forums or the mmorpg ones  we are complaining about public quests/rifts/meta events/dark anchors

imho i enjoyed public events as it was so original back then  its funny how  everybody remmebers warhammer for its pvp  but not  public quests  on rift they were fun as invasions or random rifts changed the challenge a lil bit not as static as public  quests  gw2  took that even frther  with  zone events  and meta events so  cvaried and sometimes even silly ones...sooo  im hoping ESO does it at least on the same lvl as gw2 did it  if not better maybe