Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Of all the things - why start game with being (again) a prisoner?

docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184

Just wondering - I assume it is trying to stick to the Elder scroll typial start - ES3, 4, 5 all of them make you start as a prisoner. So nothing wrong from that perspective.

But considering that sooooo many other games make you start like that, I can't but wonder "why"? It is getting .... boring..

What do you, fan or not fan think?

--------------------------------------------
Youtube newb:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

Comments

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Why fix what isn't broken. It's a staple of the elder scrolls series. Thats like Final Fantasy without Cactuars or Moogles or Chocobos.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

It's a gimmick to show how "free" you are in the games. "Other games imprison you but TES games let you out of prison!Whee!"

The analogy kind of fails in the MMO...

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

I think by now it's pretty much an Elder Scrolls trademark start, and I think in large part they continue it here to help people feel Elder Scrollsy at least to start. If they did not do that, I think you'd see another uproar from people saying the game is not Elder Scrolls enough.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by docminus2

Just wondering - I assume it is trying to stick to the Elder scroll typial start - ES3, 4, 5 all of them make you start as a prisoner. So nothing wrong from that perspective.

But considering that sooooo many other games make you start like that, I can't but wonder "why"? It is getting .... boring..

I think you answered your own question.  In order to make this game feel more like an ES game they need to add elements that at least resemble the previous games.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by docminus2 Just wondering - I assume it is trying to stick to the Elder scroll typial start - ES3, 4, 5 all of them make you start as a prisoner. So nothing wrong from that perspective. But considering that sooooo many other games make you start like that, I can't but wonder "why"? It is getting .... boring.. What do you, fan or not fan think?
    I think you answered your own question.  In order to make this game feel more like an ES game they need to add elements that at least resemble the previous games.

This ^^^^^^

+1

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Allacore69

Originally posted by docminus2 Just wondering - I assume it is trying to stick to the Elder scroll typial start - ES3, 4, 5 all of them make you start as a prisoner. So nothing wrong from that perspective. But considering that sooooo many other games make you start like that, I can't but wonder "why"? It is getting .... boring.. What do you, fan or not fan think?

This ^^^^^^

+1

The answer is...... Because its a true elder scrolls game, and in every elder scrolls game i played since i started out wit ES2 daggerfall, i started out as a prisonner...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

This ^^^^^^

+1

The answer is...... Because its a true elder scrolls game, and in every elder scrolls game i played since i started out wit ES2 daggerfall, i started out as a prisonner...

True... the bad part is that even though I don't care where I start, it is tradition and not going with it would have procured a ton of hate.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I actually groaned in disappointment when the game opened up like that.  I appreciate the "it's traditional" point of view, but it's become a tired, uninspiring mmorpg cliche now for me.  
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    The dying part was new however.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Why does the terminator die in every movie, because its tradition.  Even in Terminator Salvation
  • mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Laziness on the part of the writers? I feel it has been overused at this point.
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Easy.

TRADITION!
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Bummer....

I was hoping I'd be standing at the alter with my soon to be father in law standing behind me with a shot gun held to my head. I stare him in the eye.... and flip him the bird.

KABOOM......

I wake up in TESO

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by Entinerint
    Easy. TRADITION!

LMAO dude. LMAO.

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

It's a bad choice. I understand the tradition of it, BUT this isn't a single player game. There should be some variation between plays to give the game some replaybility.

Everyone in the game has the same exact beginning. Captured , sacrificed , freed by random guy, meets up with Obi wan Kenobi, hangs out with Wonder Woman,ect. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Thanks to being a prisoner once again i met Lyris Titanborn and now i want to save her and learn more about the group of five dudes that resemble the ones who died fighting Anduin. Lyris Titanborn reminds me of Gormlaith Goldenhilt. I want to know more about her place in the lore.

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by Entinerint
    Easy.

TRADITION!

LMAO dude. LMAO.

exactly........

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Even though I brought the game I'm not a big fan of the starting area.  I would rather start on one of the islands.  The area has to many NPCs running around and people shouting.  It makes sense for the area, but it's still annoying.  It's not exactly a good environment to learn the basics of the game.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Op

I cannot think of a reason for not starting the game the way they did.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    It's a staple of the ES franchise to start as a prisoner, why change now?
  • alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Flyte27
    Even though I brought the game I'm not a big fan of the starting area.  I would rather start on one of the islands.  The area has to many NPCs running around and people shouting.  It makes sense for the area, but it's still annoying.  It's not exactly a good environment to learn the basics of the game.

In this zone you are supposed to learn only combat and get introduced to main story plot. Islands are supposed to introduce you to other mechanics. And as such this part if fine really. It's another thing tho that introducing to other game mechanics (i.e. crafting or lockpicking) needs attention. Skyrim players should recognise it but if someone didn't play Skyrim then they may have difficulty with some stuff here.

But then again starting zone is supposed to introduce player to combat and storyline. That's it.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    Originally posted by docminus2

Prison break will always be cool

Additionally it may have something to do with hidden lore.

Just wondering why every suvior has to be a prisoner?

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

It's the elder scrolls man, you got to start out as a crook to grow up and be anybody of note. Kind of like real life that way now... ;) 

Though I admit I have been wondering why they don't let you start as a prison guard or hooded village executioner for a change of pace.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by alterfenix
    Originally posted by Flyte27

In this zone you are supposed to learn only combat and get introduced to main story plot. Islands are supposed to introduce you to other mechanics. And as such this part if fine really. It's another thing tho that introducing to other game mechanics (i.e. crafting or lockpicking) needs attention. Skyrim players should recognise it but if someone didn't play Skyrim then they may have difficulty with some stuff here.

But then again starting zone is supposed to introduce player to combat and storyline. That's it.

I realize that, but I'd prefer a prison break closer to Oblivion.  It was nice and quiet.  It also took place in a castle on the planet.  I'm not sure where this takes place.  Some kind of plane where the dead go?