Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IT'S HAPPENING!!!

nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJFlbegazTM

Better take those screenshots. LA will not be the same after this.

Finally, I can really hate Scarlet for a reason.

Comments

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I hope players congregate in some of the other beautiful cities in the mean time.  The only other one that tends to have any play presence is Divinity's Reach.  One of the tragedies most MMOs suffer from is that players tend to pick one city as their central hub and then neglect all others.  So much beautiful real estate becomes mostly dead.  It's logical, of course, usually related to geographical proximity to current hot spots.  I just think it's an unfortunate consequence.  I especially think it would be a good experience for new players to see a whole bunch of players upon their first visit to their chosen race's city.  

If I were to design an MMO, I'd try to ensure there was always incentive to spend time in each of the game's main cities - if not all at the same time so as not to disperse the player population too much, then on some sort of fairly frequent cycle of events.  In the context of GW2's Living Story, different cities could be made the central hubs for different parts of the story.  This has happened to some extent (Super Adventure Box = Rata Sum, Queen's Gauntlet = Divinity's Reach, Flame and Frost sort of = Hoelbrak and the Black Citadel), but the moments are so few and far between, and LA remains the primary hub throughout all of it anyway.  

Anyway, I'm sure they'll rebuild LA eventually and even keep it available as a run-down zone for a time following the aftermath of whatever is about to happen.  

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Homitu

Anyway, I'm sure they'll rebuild LA eventually and even keep it available as a run-down zone for a time following the aftermath of whatever is about to happen.  

I think so too.

The only capital on a mmo that had been permanently destroyed as far as I remember was Morroc on Ragnarok Online.

Harbinger of Fools
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I think so too.

The only capital on a mmo that had been permanently destroyed as far as I remember was Morroc on Ragnarok Online.

I'm actually seeing a lot of panic on reddit right now about trying to catalog and preserve as much info about LA as we can while we can.  Some players at least seem to fear LA may be permanently destroyed.  There are efforts to take video footage of all the vistas, screenshots of every area, lore and NPC info, conversation histories.  It's pretty great, imo.  I'm sure Anet is paying attention and wondering how they can use this reaction for future updates.  

I'm still of the camp that LA will be reconstructed eventually, even if there is a period where it's mostly in shambles like parts of Kessex Hills after the toxic tower.  Perhaps the Tengu will emerge from behind their wall and seek to expand to the ruined Lion's Arch territory.  I think it's been assumed the Tengu would be an allied race, but I certainly see potential for conflict and a need for diplomacy.  

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Good riddance.  LA is a poorly-designed lagfest.

You make me like charity

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Lag in LA? What are you using, a pedal-powered computer or something? I can't remember the last time I had anything resembling lag in LA.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I have to remember to send her a thank-u card for this. Lion's Arch has too long been in the spotlight. Maybe it's now time for the other cities to shine, too. They are all amazing (well save for maybe the Grove, but guess it's just not my style) and deserve more attention.

Not to say LA is bad, either, but I don't like MMOs that mush all the services into same spot and effectively leave the rest of the world silently rot away.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    i hope lions arch is permanently destroyed. I much prefer divinity's reach.
  • DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

As I understand it the portals, mystic forge, fractal gate, etc are being relocated to nearby Vigil Keep which suggests that Lion's Arch is going to be unavailable for some time.  Permanently? Well that would certainly be interesting but remains to be seen what they do there as there is a lot that happens in Lion's Arch.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

Originally posted by DanitaKusor

As I understand it the portals, mystic forge, fractal gate, etc are being relocated to nearby Vigil Keep which suggests that Lion's Arch is going to be unavailable for some time.  Permanently? Well that would certainly be interesting but remains to be seen what they do there as there is a lot that happens in Lion's Arch.

Aye, that's what this massively article seems to indicate: 

All essential services that are unique to Lion's Arch will be redirected to Vigil Keep for the time being, including Asura gates to other cities, Fractals of the Mists, and incarcerated cactus-faced troublemakers. Personal story steps will be accessible through a new entrance. Hwang's team has taken steps to ensure that the city will remain fully explorable for map completion, although if you're especially fond of a particular view...well, you might want to grab screenshots while you can. We were also warned that exploration isn't exactly going to be as safe as it currently is.

Which is fine too, as the Vigil Keep is another awesome structure that is underutilized in the world in my opinion.  As we surmised, during this invasion/siege, LA will essentially become another open world zone full of dangerous mobs and clusters of events.  What happens after the invasion is what we don't know.  

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

I'm nervous!

Why are they going to blow up Los Angeles?!?!

By the way, is the invasion going to be a "1 time thing" like the Karka invasion? I mean I'm sure once L.A. is changed, it will stay that way for several weeks (at least if not more). But I wonder about that initial invasion... can anyone call TIXX and his battleship?

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I think so too.

Nah I think they will keep it destroyed as 'proof' of how 'world changing' that the Living Story is. 

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by evilastro

I think so too.

Nah I think they will keep it destroyed as 'proof' of how 'world changing' that the Living Story is. 

You "sure" aqbout "that"?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Looking forward to this alot.
  • eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Alright Alright Alright, are we all gathered here today in LA? on FA here
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    This will matter forever .... oh yeah until the event is over so they just change it back to the way it was before. the funny thing is the living story actually alienate new players by preventing them from participating in the same content as everyone else

Steam: Neph

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    New build in 10 mins!!!!! (hopefully) =P
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I think so too.

Arwic, Tou-Tou and Mayoi have all been destroyed and rebuilt/moved/lain in rubble in Asheron's Call.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• jweeks221jweeks221 Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Volkon

Lag in LA? What are you using, a pedal-powered computer or something? I can't remember the last time I had anything resembling lag in LA.

completly agree never lag in lions arch

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Same here, and my computer is in no way the latest best thing sold.

Must be playing on a 486 DX2 66 or something like that ;)

Hey now, I used to own a 486 DX2 33.... and then as I recall was able to do a swap out to a 66 at some point in the future.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

And LA is under attack.

Nice that you are just thrown in the middle of the invasion.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

And LA is under attack.

It's funny... I keep wanting to port to the bank area in L.A. to take care of stuff out of habit, then it's an "oh yeah" moment. Well, Rata Sum is better for crafting purposes (neatly around a central hub) and the Vigil has everything but crafting, so I'll survive.

L.A., however, not so sure. It's been dramatically razed. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

I participated in the new event. it repeats every one hours but i got bored after 3 tries. Gets repetitve really fast and some of the achievements were bugged (moa for example). The rewards were underwhelming and overflows were splitting us all guild members as usual.

Die hard fans gonna love it ofcourse but for players like me hoping to get back in game, it is the same old 'grind events get achievement'  system which get boring really fast.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234

Despite the fact that I have the permanent Royal Terrace pass and as much as I am enjoying the new chapter in the living story, I can't help but see this is as a veiled excuse for a mass scale cash-grab.

Not even hours after the changes story changes were released the one-stop Captain’s Airship Pass from Gemstore convenience passes were released to replace the convenience that Lion's Arch had. They could have easily moved the crafting to the Vigil Keep or setup a Mystic forge in one or more racial capitals. But no they planned to cash in on peoples habit for the convenience they sought in LA.

The Creed is in fact Greed.

Playing: varies every day it seems.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by HellCaster

Despite the fact that I have the permanent Royal Terrace pass and as much as I am enjoying the new chapter in the living story, I can't help but see this is as a veiled excuse for a mass scale cash-grab.

Not even hours after the changes story changes were released the one-stop Captain’s Airship Pass from Gemstore convenience passes were released to replace the convenience that Lion's Arch had. They could have easily moved the crafting to the Vigil Keep or setup a Mystic forge in one or more racial capitals. But no they planned to cash in on peoples habit for the convenience they sought in LA.

The Creed is in fact Greed.

You can conveniently craft in any of the other cities. Actually, Divinity's is more convenient for crafting than Lion's Arch, the auction house is much closer and faster to access from the crafting installations, and going there just takes you one click on the map and a couple of silver. Really no big deal.

The Captain pass is just as much a convenience than your Royal Terrace pass. Nothing more. And also remember, this game has ZERO subscription price. You can log anytime without paying once more cent than your box price. Are you really surprised that they are selling stuff the players may want, to make, you know, money to create new content and pay their developers and artists?

You don't need any of those two passes to play efficiently, they are both a comfort feature. And in games based on the payment model of GW2, players pay for comfort. It's normal. In return, the developers provide a new content patch every two week, for FREE.

Agreed completely. Anything in the gem store is either cosmetic or pure convenience and nothing is absolutely required. Hell, crafting in your borderland is almost as convenient as Divinity's Reach with the exception of access to a Mystic Forge, which may or may not be available if you own your own Garrison.

People will pay for comfort. I tend to buy things like a few additional bank slots, character slots and a finisher. I typically buy gems with gold, but I've used a little real cash to buy gems in bulk. I can easily say I've spent less real money than I would have if the game had a sub.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

And LA is under attack.

It's funny... I keep wanting to port to the bank area in L.A. to take care of stuff out of habit, then it's an "oh yeah" moment. Well, Rata Sum is better for crafting purposes (neatly around a central hub) and the Vigil has everything but crafting, so I'll survive.

L.A., however, not so sure. It's been dramatically razed. 

Divinity's Reach is quite good for crafting too. The crafting stations are just near the AH and the bank, just one level below, with a teleporter nearby, so there's zero loading time when you move from the ones to the others.

I actually bought the permanent Captain's Airship pass... even better =P

Home border in WvW are the place where I craft, AH are just around the corner and every crafting station are next to one another.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.