Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Smedley: Governor an "Idiot" for Bad-Mouthing Copernicus

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a recent Twitter thread, Sony Online Entertainment's John Smedley has called the governor of Rhode Island an "idiot" for comments he made last December when he called 38 Studios' Project Copernicus "a lot of junk". The comments were made after the state failed to sell the IP during an auction as part of an effort to recoup $75 million dollars in public funds that was loaned to 38 Studios.

Smedley went on to make further comments:

@posion00 @gehrig38 I had the good fortune of seeing the game. It looked great. If that idiot Governor Chafee hadn't trash talked

— John Smedley (@j_smedley) February 10, 2014

@posion00 @gehrig38 Curt is an honest guy with good intentions. Although public money should never have guaranteed a winner or loser

@posion00 @gehrig38 Curt's only crime was believing in his own ability to will things to be better. He busted ass trying to get funding

Dear people of Rhode Island. Look to your elected government for failing to protect you. That 38 studios deal just never should have been.

All he had to do was give Curt another week and we wouldn't be here today.

@posion00 @gehrig38 I had the good fortune of seeing the game. It looked great. If that idiot Governor Chafee hadn't trash talked

You can read the entire thread on John Smedley's Twitter page.

Via Polygon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Could of possibly been something great. Will never know.
  • TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Well, they could have bought it (SOE) on the public auction, couldn't they?

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Just a sad story for Curt. Prayers.
  • GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by DwarfZZZ

This! If Smed thought it was so great why is it not a SoE game as we speak? (or type).

Why? Cus he's full of it. /end

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Governor: Smedley,your company's handling and implentation of the new game experience in star wars galaxies is by far a worse thing than any I have done.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I have to agree with the if it was so great why didnt SoE buy it.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Tierless

Should he have bad mouthed it? Probably not. But based on the insider article I read by the guy that worked their the place was a mess.

Smedley should deliver a good game for starters before badmouthing others about doing bad business.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by GregorMcgregor

This! If Smed thought it was so great why is it not a SoE game as we speak? (or type).

Or..... Maybe....

Soe is fully invested in a couple other projects.

Nothing like spreading yourself out too thin, just ask Curt.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

He never said he didn't try. Apparently the auction ended without an "acceptable" offer, so it's entirely possible SOE put in an offer. I'd be surprised if they didn't. However, that isn't to say that it won't happen either. It's so far into development that it will likely be sold, but hopefully it will be sold before the property is stale. This just means that the people selling it need to understand that they don't have forever to sit on this. They're probably better to take what they can get. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

I don't doubt Smed is full of it. That said if I was a game company I wouldn't want to be involved with the "state of Rhode Island" in any way, shape or form with respect to direct business transactions. Honestly, as small as that state is I wouldn't care if my games weren't allowed to be sold there either.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Poor Smed.  He gets thrashed even for taking the side of the underdog. Come, on, give the guy  a break. He is right this time.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Beyond the money they would have to pay just for the IP and assets, there would need to be a massive re-investment to bring the game to market.  You cant just go in and pick right up where the previous company left off.

Also we dont know how much the bids were for, only that they were "unacceptable"  I wouldnt be surprised if RI wanted like 60 million + for it.  No one is going to pay that.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

He never said he didn't try. Apparently the auction ended without an "acceptable" offer, so it's entirely possible SOE put in an offer. I'd be surprised if they didn't. However, that isn't to say that it won't happen either. It's so far into development that it will likely be sold, but hopefully it will be sold before the property is stale. This just means that the people selling it need to understand that they don't have forever to sit on this. They're probably better to take what they can get. 

The state of Rhode Island is apparently asking for a huge sum if they aren't taking auction cash from SOE, just saying... 

You have to look at it this way too though: Tax dollars were paid to make that game, which is just completely unacceptable. If I was a tax-payer in Rhode Island you can bet I'd be pissed that my money was going towards making a game... And then the game goes bust?

Yeah, I would certainly not be a happy taxpayer if I lived in Rhode Island.

Smile

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

Yes: Rhode Island's government were fools, both for the deal and the aftermath.

Yes: Smedley really has no room to talk here as they've bungled QUITE a many things with their own IPs, and ones they licensed in the past. 

Yes: 38 Studios was a mess in leadership, planning, and hierarchical structure.

Would the game have been good? The answer is "most likely not". Smedley seems to have a keen eye for BAD stuff being "Good". He said EQII's push towards a more WoW-version of EQ was "Good on paper", but the reality is that it is just an awful excuse to bastardize a product to garner more revenue. 

SOE are the kings of spitting on their fans by trying to cater to people whom have never tried/played one of their products before, and whom most likely never will go near SOE...for good reason.

If Smedley said it "looked good" then most likely it was a trainwreck waiting to happen.

Just my 2cents.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Read his comments, have to say after my subpar first impressions of him SoE live 2013 he is starting to build up some respect.
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

I'm no Smed fan, but all the guy is doing here is defending the industry. Whether Copernicus would have been any good we'll never know, but the Governor is just trying to deflect from the real issue - which is why the hell was taxpayers' money used to fund a fledgling studio undertaking one of the most risky projects - an MMO.

Junk MMOs can earn money, good MMOs can fail. It's beside the point.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

From the point of view of Rhode Island, the game was junk.  So was the single player game they released prior to going bankrupt.  It doesn't matter how good the game looked, it doesn't matter what Curt Schilling's intentions were and it doesn't matter what Smedley thinks of the game's quality.  The game and 38 Studios wasted seventy five million dollars of investment money on what amounts to nothing.  That sounds like junk to me.

Though, it is true that Rhode Island never should have invested in the company and game in the first place.

For that matter, 38 Studios never should have taken the money.  They should have found investors elsewhere.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Millions of dollars of tax payer money wasted on a video game.  Its a good thing our American government officials are looking out after us.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

I'd be royally ticked at those in power if I were a RI taxpayer, that's for sure. No state has any business offering loans or incentives for any business, period. That's the kind of crap which leads to the rampant cronyism we have today, as opposed to the true capitalist system we're supposed to have.

You want a business loan, talk to a bank or private investors, not your local politician. Disgusting.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by freston
    Poor Smed.  He gets thrashed even for taking the side of the underdog. Come, on, give the guy  a break. He is right this time.

Hehe, not a chance. This bit is overshadowing another tweet by Smed in which, after being asked for more info about the unannounced MMO they are working on, Smed replies that he's not going to

"... shoot off my mouth anymore about how SWG fans will like it. Sorry I did that. My mistake."

So after taking away a game via the NGE, then having it yanked completely away when the license ended, THEN promising a game SWG fans would love, NOW wanting to retract the statement....

"No breaks were given this day".

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• dstillrulesdstillrules Member Posts: 4
    Although Rhode Island may have been crazy for investing the money some of you are acting like they invested the money simply to fund a video game, which isnt accurate. They invested because they believed that this would bring many jobs to the state and would add a new kind of industry to a state whose current industries (textiles makeers and jewlery factories) were in decline) Once again it may have been a stupid idea but not as simplistic as some of you are making it out to be.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by BearKnight

Would the game have been good? The answer is "most likely not". Smedley seems to have a keen eye for BAD stuff being "Good". He said EQII's push towards a more WoW-version of EQ was "Good on paper", but the reality is that it is just an awful excuse to bastardize a product to garner more revenue. 

The single player game they made was excellent. If they actually launched the mmo, I have no doubt it would of been able to keep it's head above water at the very least. Which is a hell of a lot better than where it is now.

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    NEVER believe anything Smed says, he has back stabbed the MMO community so much in his career as is.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

I'd be royally ticked at those in power if I were a RI taxpayer, that's for sure. No state has any business offering loans or incentives for any business, period. That's the kind of crap which leads to the rampant cronyism we have today, as opposed to the true capitalist system we're supposed to have.

You want a business loan, talk to a bank or private investors, not your local politician. Disgusting.

Er, this is actually pretty common.  It's not just Rhode Island that does this.  The federal government does this too.  Here's some information on what the state of New Jersey can do in regards to businesses.  New Jersey Economic Development something or other.

Though, it's usually for smaller businesses, minority owned businesses, and businesses in a specific sector of the economy that the state wants to attract.  Also, I don't think there's usually such a large amount of money given to a single business.  New Jersey will guarantee loans up to $3M, not $75M.  It makes more sense to attract twenty smaller businesses than one really big business.  All your eggs in one basket kind of thing I guess.

If you do some research, you might be amazed at how involved the local, state and federal governments are in our economy.  There are many, many things that only happen because the government makes them happen.  Government interest in the video game industry could have been a very good thing, making it easier for smaller developers to get loans and run businesses, especially minority or women owned developers.  I'm not sure if there will be any fallout because of this, but there could be a negative impact to smaller developers in other states.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by dstillrules
    Although Rhode Island may have been crazy for investing the money some of you are acting like they invested the money simply to fund a video game, which isnt accurate. They invested because they believed that this would bring many jobs to the state and would add a new kind of industry to a state whose current industries (textiles makeers and jewlery factories) were in decline) Once again it may have been a stupid idea but not as simplistic as some of you are making it out to be.

Its because like the average American, people on these forums never actually do research about a topic before commenting on it.

RI saw what happened in Montreal in how the local government thru tax incentives and loans turned that city in a game mecca and saw what kind of rewards it brought it attempted to do the same. Then a new Governor came in an instantly shitted all over the process, didn't believe in the vision and purposely tanked it. What Montreal did wasn't over night, it took them several years to get the ball rolling.

Rhode Island got what it voted for.  Congrats, you deserve it for elected an idiot political flip flopper who because of political animosity crapped all over people's lives and money.