Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suspicious of all the bad reviews...

Comments

• kkarrabbasskkarrabbass Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by BeansnBread
    Originally posted by kkarrabbass

2. Negative posts started long before any  reliable information about game was available.

Negative posts started around the time they announced faction locks. At least that's how I recall it. Before that, I think people were generally happy about the idea of an Elder Scrolls MMORPG. There were some detractors, but overall it seemed pretty positive before then. The idea of the developer choosing to restrict races to certain factions and then separating the world into 3 parts made a lot of Elder Scrolls fans upset. I was one of those people back then but it was a long time ago.

I am sorry, did you say anything that agrees or disagrees with my statement? Hard to understand. Besides

The idea of the developer choosing to restrict races to certain factions happened to be not a very reliable information.

3. If you would check just this forum ESO activity for every day of last week, you would see that it more than 4 times exceeds NEXT popularity, but is not even among 7 top voted games.

ESO is releasing in less than 2 months. EQNext does not have a release date. EQNext:Landmark doesn't even have a release date yet. People are voting this game down because they were unimpressed during the limited time they had in beta.

I am sorry,  but voting status remains more or less the same for months now. As I remember this game never was among most voted games. Of course, this site  has never been known as most objective and not biased one. And what it is again about " QNext does not have a release date. EQNext:Landmark doesn't even have a release date yet"? Shouldn't it work just opposite - close to release -higher hype?

4. If some of players do not like this game why so many of those are on crusade to sway others  their way? Why do they care? Or it is all about winning? Negatives against positives!

Why do some players that like the game try and persuade people to like it? Why do they care? Or is it all about winning? Positives against negatives! There really are 2 sides to that coin. Some people will act reasonable and some will come up with some cockimamy idea about conspiracy theories to make themselves feel better. On both sides.

You do not understand why?! Really? Are you kidding me?

Because they WANT to play this game! In order to do that, they want this game to succeed.

They want this game to have healthy population. Their goal is understandable.

For players who do not plan to play this game, it is of no consequence will this game succeed or not.

To not play this game they do not need this game to fail.

About conspiracy theory. I probably will not exercise my power of knowledge to discuss this subject with you.

It is personal matter to believe or not to believe. I is not personal matter however to judge someone for his believes. I for example would never question you right for such cockamamy avatar!

I'm not saying the game is bad. I personally think the combat needs a lot of work, I don't like the quest grind style of PvE and I'm not very happy with their payment model. I am still wondering why holding this opinion is so abrasive to so many people. I'd say the prudent thing to do with any game, not just this game, is to wait until after release when there is a lot more information about it.

They need to get the info about the later game out. They can either show us gameplay videos of it or they can release the NDA. I don't think I've seen a single dungeon yet. In my opinion, it's really their PR team that is screwing them over the most. That is, unless there is something utterly wrong with endgame.

I have not discussed this game at any point.  I did not give you any information about my opinion.

I was trying to discuss some questions, which looked strange to me. I do not know about conspiracy theory, but sure something doesn't fit to typical pre-release events development.

• WikileaksEUWikileaksEU Member UncommonPosts: 108

Bad reviewers have played too much World of Warcraft. They are also comparing ESO with Skyrim, which is fucking stupid, as Skyrim is purely single player and ESO is an mmorpg. Big difference in both software and hardware.

Edit: Gamers today are spoiled and need a good slap in the face. Such a hard slap to the face they fly away across the room and into the wall behind them and leave a mark there.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by BeansnBread

2. Negative posts started long before any  reliable information about game was available.

Negative posts started around the time they announced faction locks. At least that's how I recall it. Before that, I think people were generally happy about the idea of an Elder Scrolls MMORPG. There were some detractors, but overall it seemed pretty positive before then. The idea of the developer choosing to restrict races to certain factions and then separating the world into 3 parts made a lot of Elder Scrolls fans upset. I was one of those people back then but it was a long time ago.

I am sorry, did you say anything that agrees or disagrees with my statement? Hard to understand. Besides

The idea of the developer choosing to restrict races to certain factions happened to be not a very reliable information.

3. If you would check just this forum ESO activity for every day of last week, you would see that it more than 4 times exceeds NEXT popularity, but is not even among 7 top voted games.

ESO is releasing in less than 2 months. EQNext does not have a release date. EQNext:Landmark doesn't even have a release date yet. People are voting this game down because they were unimpressed during the limited time they had in beta.

I am sorry,  but voting status remains more or less the same for months now. As I remember this game never was among most voted games. Of course, this site  has never been known as most objective and not biased one. And what it is again about " QNext does not have a release date. EQNext:Landmark doesn't even have a release date yet"? Shouldn't it work just opposite - close to release -higher hype?

4. If some of players do not like this game why so many of those are on crusade to sway others  their way? Why do they care? Or it is all about winning? Negatives against positives!

Why do some players that like the game try and persuade people to like it? Why do they care? Or is it all about winning? Positives against negatives! There really are 2 sides to that coin. Some people will act reasonable and some will come up with some cockimamy idea about conspiracy theories to make themselves feel better. On both sides.

You do not understand why?! Really? Are you kidding me?

Because they WANT to play this game! In order to do that, they want this game to succeed.

They want this game to have healthy population. Their goal is understandable.

For players who do not plan to play this game, it is of no consequence will this game succeed or not.

To not play this game they do not need this game to fail.

About conspiracy theory. I probably will not exercise my power of knowledge to discuss this subject with you.

It is personal matter to believe or not to believe. I is not personal matter however to judge someone for his believes. I for example would never question you right for such cockamamy avatar!

I'm not saying the game is bad. I personally think the combat needs a lot of work, I don't like the quest grind style of PvE and I'm not very happy with their payment model. I am still wondering why holding this opinion is so abrasive to so many people. I'd say the prudent thing to do with any game, not just this game, is to wait until after release when there is a lot more information about it.

They need to get the info about the later game out. They can either show us gameplay videos of it or they can release the NDA. I don't think I've seen a single dungeon yet. In my opinion, it's really their PR team that is screwing them over the most. That is, unless there is something utterly wrong with endgame.

I have not discussed this game at any point.  I did not give you any information about my opinion.

I was trying to discuss some questions, which looked strange to me. I do not know about conspiracy theory, but sure something doesn't fit to typical pre-release events development.

You got me.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

I would assume that a company the size of bethesda and Zenimax know how to influence public opinion.

Just have to wait for them to start, it's really not hard to change opinion of a game.  All they have to do is put out advertising, pay all the mmo and game websites for large amounts of advertising so they instantly like your game and pay the youtube celebrities to cover the game.

It's pretty industry standard but for some reason they aren't doing it, maybe they are making the mistake of spending the money on the game instead of the payoffs.  Anyone that saw the reviews games like Guild wars 2 and ffxiv2 got and that played them will see how this industry works. 

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Originally posted by Dulu

Been on the MMO scene for a very long time, and I've seen companies like MMORPG.com and other review sites suck the **** of games that have been terrible, just because they have big names.

Age of Conan, Warhammer and Guild Wars 2 being the most notable. Anyone who was an MMO veteran when these games were releasing probably remembers thinking these games would be the next WoW, or the next Jesus Christ, etc. That's what the review companies were spouting.

And then you actually got to play the games... and yeah, we know the history.

My point is, why is it all of a sudden a game like ESO, which I thoroughly enjoy and think is so much better than anything that has released in years, is getting such terrible reviews, while games which almost no one enjoyed - received such AWESOME reviews?

What's going on? Did Zenimax not pay someone? Is this an organized plot by a competitor? I hate to be the conspiracy theory guy, but I don't understand. Or, is this just some sort of meme which has spread across the internet like wildfire, or doge? "ESO sucks, not worth $15, armor painted on, blah blah blah" (Anyone else notice the reviews all use the exact same terminology? I had never heard anyone say "armor painted on" before ESO, yet I've heard it in EVERY-SINGLE-REVIEW!)

I'm a skeptic, and I think some BS is going on..

I'm suspicious of this post....wait do you think...could it be...someone from Zenimax trying to discredit the bad reviews?

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Been on the MMO scene for a very long time, and I've seen companies like MMORPG.com and other review sites suck the **** of games that have been terrible, just because they have big names.

Age of Conan, Warhammer and Guild Wars 2 being the most notable. Anyone who was an MMO veteran when these games were releasing probably remembers thinking these games would be the next WoW, or the next Jesus Christ, etc. That's what the review companies were spouting.

My point is, why is it all of a sudden a game like ESO, which I thoroughly enjoy and think is so much better than anything that has released in years, is getting such terrible reviews, while games which almost no one enjoyed - received such AWESOME reviews?

What's going on? Did Zenimax not pay someone? Is this an organized plot by a competitor? I hate to be the conspiracy theory guy, but I don't understand. Or, is this just some sort of meme which has spread across the internet like wildfire, or doge? "ESO sucks, not worth $15, armor painted on, blah blah blah" (Anyone else notice the reviews all use the exact same terminology? I had never heard anyone say "armor painted on" before ESO, yet I've heard it in EVERY-SINGLE-REVIEW!)

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

I haven't seen many reviews, but I have not heard "armor painted on" in the ones I've seen.

Case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upE802rZl7Q

If you can trust anyone for a game review, it's Angry Joe.

Methinks you're looking for a conspiracy theory where none exists and are just misreading people not understanding that just because they don't like a game, doesn't mean it sucks (I for one understand why people like The Secret World and see how it is a good game, but I myselfdon't like it)

Really? The same guy who praised GW2 to no end and then quit a few weeks later...... Yeah right....

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

When sites like these hype potential train wrecks like ESO and other throwaway games like it, it throws up red flags , but then again after playing it, and the disappointed feeling when I came away from it , confirms my suspicions. With almost all the recent posts are ESO posts only I think someone paid people to come here to drum up hype for a game that quite a few reviewers have given bad reviews of the game. What have we seen over the years now for each game to be hyped to almost fanatic levels? Here is what I have witness and observed.

Its a nasty cycle, the next big shiny "MMORPG lite" , the WoW killer, the second coming of Jesus, fanbois are there it seems for everyone of these big title launches usually the same people who were fanbois of other launches of games that were hyped thru the roof as well, months later abandoning the game awaiting for the next big thing cause they ran out of excuses to feverishly defend a game that wasnt that great to begin with, cause they didnt do their research, or just prone to playing bad game after bad game.

People who test these games objectively, and look if the game hooks them for the first few levels when it doesnt grow on them , its a sure bet your not going to like the rest of the game either, but don't tell that to fanbois your a hater... its cool to call someone a hater these days, even though a person may have valid criticisms of the game, but they see flash, and fancy graphics, and explosions and the new shinyness of the game. So fanbois stay with their new toy , after launch people star to leave in droves cause people finally reach the level cap and find out after hiding behind NDAs there is nothing to do, people go to the forums and make thier opinions heard and feedback, the fanboi brigades come out feverishly attacking anyone with any criticism about their FOTM game even it is once again valid points. The hype dies off for the game, subs drop like a rock, people leave in droves, months later the announcement for a F2P conversion is in the works, fanbois quietly disappear never to be heard from again, months later you see them posting again cheerleading for their new shiny.

Its a nasty cycle, as I mentioned before it repeats over and over again, so the best defense is to stay away from the hype. People will always have different opinions just like I had mine here, that doesn't make me or others haters cause I don't like something you may like, people aren't meant to like or agree with everyone its human nature. Noone's opinion is more right or more valid than the other.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

I haven't seen many reviews, but I have not heard "armor painted on" in the ones I've seen.

Methinks you're looking for a conspiracy theory where none exists and are just misreading people not understanding that just because they don't like a game, doesn't mean it sucks (I for one understand why people like The Secret World and see how it is a good game, but I myselfdon't like it)

Really? The same guy who praised GW2 to no end and then quit a few weeks later...... Yeah right....

From what I've been reading angry joe accepts a lot of money from publishers and movie studios, you can tell that quite quickly just from looking at a lot of his videos.

I don't think there is anything really wrong with that but people should be able to see him for what he is.

• ImprovVImprovV Member Posts: 14

Okay stick with me here because it might be a little complicated.

It's because...OPINIONS. Yes, believe it or not human beings are not part of a hive mind and we are all capable of thinking for ourselves.

Games you thought were shit are not actually shit to plenty of other people and games you like are shit to others. 

I know the concept is outrageous but try to let it sink in.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by amber-r
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

From what I've been reading angry joe accepts a lot of money from publishers and movie studios, you can tell that quite quickly just from looking at a lot of his videos.

I don't think there is anything really wrong with that but people should be able to see him for what he is.

Do you have a source? The part that you've been reading.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Conspiracies! Consipracies everywhere!

"They don't like MY game! How can it be? There MUST be something fishy going on..."

• ImprovVImprovV Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by otacu

Conspiracies! Consipracies everywhere!

"They don't like MY game! How can it be? There MUST be something fishy going on..."

Or "they like a game I don't like! There MUST be something fishy going on those corrupt bastards!"

People like OP are idiots.

• simon155simon155 Member UncommonPosts: 53

I know exactly what you mean. I've seen a lot of that on threads like this.

BUT I know for a fact it's being widely approved of. Certainly it seems to be a very vocal minority giving it bad press. Friends are all excited about it and looking forward to it. People I've spoken to that have seen it are all excited about it. Graphics are beautiful.  The responses are generally great. Everyone seems to be either pre-ordering or planning to buy on release. 

Personally I've joined the pre-order crowd lol. I'm told there are a LOT of people joining that crowd - I heard something about white horses that makes it easier to get an idea of those.

I can't wait for it.

In regards to the negativity, there are lots of reasons they might do it. Some may be very poor and upset about pricing, as they can't afford it, so might resort to negativity in their distress. Others may be very settled in other games and distressed at the thought of losing their guilds and friends to something new and better. Others may be on the payroll or staff from certain big competitors hahah. Payroll check? lol. Who knows, but to some extent I guess any of the above can play a part. For some it may just not be their scene. They will find something they like I'm sure - might just not be such a big thing as I expect this will be.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Asheram

You must be new to this site.

Anyhow I am enjoying the game, don't regret my IMP ce purchase, but to be honest I will probably only sub for 3-4 months

Not directed at you but: So you are not going to sub for 5 years. Why not? Only $15 a month yada yada yada. Cost of a xxx whatever.

This is a key problem trying to launch a sub based game today.

All Zenimax are going to get from "you" is the box price + another $45 to $60 from the sub.

Yet having a sub will cost them tens of millions of box sales - the game will sell millions for sure but tens of millions?. A couple of extra box sales would pretty much cover what they will get from your sub.

Scrap the sub go B2P with paid DLC drops. Pull content from the core game if needed. Rather than sell a gigantic game for $60 simply sell a huge game for $60 and hold stuff back to sell as DLC.

• IDontThinkSoNoIDontThinkSoNo Member UncommonPosts: 57

Been on the MMO scene for a very long time

Every time someone starts off a post with something like this, I cease reading because what is to follow is generally vapid.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Sounds a lot more like, 

because you enjoy the game, any alternative opinion to yours is BS.  

Well not really "sounds", its literally what you wrote.  

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I was like that.

A few years ago this AAA mmorpg came out, and all hype, I was like... this going to be the next wow.  But turned out to be big disappointment.

And repeat that process 3 more times, you start learning.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    I agree OP, mmorpg.com gave warhammer online, age of conan and swtor all glowing reviews. These are probably the 3 biggest disappointments in mmo history.  warhammer online was so good that it is now closed down and the other two  are now f2p.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by laokoko

I was like that.

A few years ago this AAA mmorpg came out, and all hype, I was like... this going to be the next wow.  But turned out to be big disappointment.

And repeat that process 3 more times, you start learning.

Nailed it.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • GeridenGeriden Member UncommonPosts: 390

Its most likely more to do with the ip being enjoyed by so many people, and then when you make a mmo based around it people expect a quality game that will live up to what they expect from an elder scrolls title, granted people have different tastes in games, and everyone enjoys different things about an elder scrolls title. For me this just isnt an elder scrolls game at all, its like some cheap made in china knock of version, but clearly for some it is.

So its a love it or hate it title. Hence all this back and forth between people and reviewers who played it.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    I agree OP, mmorpg.com gave warhammer online, age of conan and swtor all glowing reviews. These are probably the 3 biggest disappointments in mmo history.  warhammer online was so good that it is now closed down and the other two  are now f2p.

And then pretty much everything they've written about ESO, with the exception of the piece on an alternative opinion, have been really positive here. 

Strange how this site gets lumped in with the negativety and they've been one of the most forgiving and positive sites to cover the game. 

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Sounds a lot more like, 

because you enjoy the game, any alternative opinion to yours is BS.  

Well not really "sounds", its literally what you wrote.  

Part of this is reading about how f'in amazing it is, the greatest mmo evar, anyone with any past and modern mmo experience knows it's the novelty of the starting zones talking and in a few months these people will be off to a new shinny, and yes i'm 100% guilty of this too.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by psiic

I have see so called press lie their asses off about a piece of shit game to get us to buy it, but this is the first time I've seen press lying their asses off about a great game to try and get us not to buy it.

Frankly I think it is time for game devs to start re-evaluating who truly deserves to be considered press.

I think Angry Joe really states the real issue here. The ENTITLED mentality. 

Basically he states...

If ESO was a FREE game with this awesome engine, fantastic combat, superior graphics, and huge huge world, this would be the BEST game EVER!!

But because it's not FREE it sucks....

This whole entitled mentality that has become so prevalent  really pisses me off.

ESO is costing them a rather sizable investment, to provide a quality staff, and NOT to pink slip the whole dev team right after launch like EVERY F2P game has done costs money.

If you do not like it then go play one of the 100's of F2P games that you are bored with in two weeks, or raising hell because they have no support staff and you have to wait weeks to get an email answered.

Tons of us are excited over ESO and even more excited to be getting back to a sub based model so we do not have to put up with gold spammers, botters, hackers, chat spamming idiots, and entitled kiddies.

Yep. Considered press. What they are reviewing the game against.

And what they are reviewing the game against is a subscription based mmo. And the bulk of them are coming up with - I wouldn't call them bad reviews but simply so-so reviews. As you say Angry Joe said it would be great as a F2P game.

So basically AJs problem - and maybe some of the other reviewers as well - is the payment method. Now you talk about an entitled mentality. Well I think people should pay for games but they should also get what they pay for.

Zenimax - like lots of devs before them - are saying the sub is to provide new content. Yet it won't work out that way. The sub will hurt initial sales big time - no one expects TESO to sell tens of millions. Yet because of the investment it probably needs to sell high millions at least and then more still to make a profit.  

Pick your own numbers. If the game cost $150M and they make $30 from every sale that means they need 5M sales just to recover the cost. Ouch. Yes the base game costs c. $60 but in most countries 20% of that is tax and then there are retail or online costs e.g. Amazon's share, Visa / Paypal etc. Pick your own numbers but they need big sales. And a sub hurts sales. 

And when it doesn't sell 5M+ - because of the sub - what happens? Pink slips as you say. Your posts are probably helping to doom the long term future of the game. It will survive for sure with a loyal fanbase but not as it should.

The alternative. Doesn't have to be F2P. B2P + regular DLC. And if they don't have the DLC drops on day 1 reduce the size of the base game. cut 50% and simply sell a huge game rather than a gigantic one; sell the rest as 4 or 5 DLC drops at $15 or whatever. Doubles the price of the game in essence!

The history of all recent sub-based launches - going back years now - have ended with devs being moved. Maybe to a different game or given a pink slip. 

And if it was B2P I think the reviews would be much more positive. And Skyrim like sales would be possible.

• Thebrave246Thebrave246 Member Posts: 174

Well let me say "Suspicious" of the negative reviews? It's people being honest for once. Not like the IGN-paid off reviewers. I, for instance, did not particulary especially enjoy the ESO Beta really, I don't think it really brought anything new or interesting to the table and it is kind of mind-boggling to me that ESO does not have any dragons. I know it is not the right time period or whatever but still, there is a damn Dragon Night class for god sakes too. Skyrim was all about dragons... Anyways that's just a gripe of mine. I also think people have been saying wow, you can equip whatever you want now and can basically build whatever you want but in reality there is still equipment that is better then the next piece and it is not really a reality in that aspect. I don't think the small amount of classes is enough honestly, even with the amount of flexibility with equipment and all of that stuff. A HUGE gripe with me is the not knowing about end-game PvE content, I  mean really?, a game I am going to sub to and there is no end-game raiding or really anything I've heard about it? C'mon already...

Basically I am going to sub to a game that takes hours to level to like level 10, basically getting a dumbed down Skyrim with less graphics, NO PvE end-game raiding at launch or atleast nothing that I heard about yet, PvP that sounds like something out of SWTOR (Ilum), and I don't think this will concept of Elder Scrolls Online will work because of something that "Angry Joe" referenced in his review of this game stating something like "Elder Scrolls Online is just a dumbed down Skyrim with Friends". If you want a good Elder Scrolls game with Lore and adventure play Skyrim! I just think MMO players will want to level and traditionally story is not really a huge concern in MMOs. I am definitely more of an MMORPG player then Elder Scrolls player and I know that story means something but this game is trying to make it really all about that. That concept tried to work also in SWTOR, but really didn't do a great job and the story was more then the game was worth, I hope ESO doesn't make a similar mistake here.