Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Who are you marketing to?

So as many people are seeing bad press from beta of ESO the biggest issue is who they are marketing to. They are trying to target a large mass of console gamers and lump in PC mmo vets as myself with a game that is not even to par with....sheesh every AAA title that has went F2P (Rifts, Tera,AOC, LOTRO, DDO.){EQ and EQ2 are in a league all of their own} in the marketing department we have two companies that are entering a flooded market that is so cutthroat they don't really even know what they are doing. The game itself is not trash but by far is this game worth paying a monthly fee. Basically they are hoping the popularity of  the ES franchise  is going to keep servers going until they can fix it with expantion after expantion like Bliz had with WOW and Square Enix had with FFXI. As far as they should be concerned that is not going to happen though the game is not really a failure it is being targeted at the wrong player base. They should have been looking at a B2P model from the get go with the fact they are targeting Elder Scrolls players. Though not to par with GW2 it could be a much better choice than TSW as a B2P if GW2 isn't your cup of tea (or beer)

When you get right down to it the game has two extremes going on it has too much and too little all in the wrong places. So lets get down to comparison we won't compare this game to WOW or anything that would be apples and oranges we are going to look at it in a similarity of play aspect we will compare with Tera and TSW  { i am not comparing with AOC because AOC is far too different in game-play and DDO is just too bland}

These games are similar in combat mechanics that is why i chose them.

ESO is limited just like TSW. You have a select amount of skills you can use at any given time and combination of skills will determine the outcome yet unlike TSW it is very lacking in the combat area as to say I tend to get bored much faster than I did with TSW the skills did not bring interest to the flow of motion as you will find and when you put Tera into the mix here you will find it coming out the winner between the three as for its fast pace action and skill linking. In story ESO shines to be a winner as you would expect TSW will lose you early in the game with the fact that it is a jumbled up mess of myth and legend with plot twists on plot twists to the point you won't even understand that there was another plot twist. ESO has a fluid story arc going on in which you can feel more involved with the story that is taking place yet lacking in delivery. Tera on the other hand has very good quest arc but very little focus in story telling yet there is some what of a story there that tapers down for quite some time and you tend to forget it was even there until later on.

As far as graphics are concerned ESO is a winning loser as it is beautiful yet glitchy it reminded me of playing SWG and getting stuck in odd places that you would never expect as i was unable to fight my way out of a bush and then got stuck on a roof while doing the harlem shake but it is far more stunning than Tera and TSW in many aspects yet Tera is far more colorful. Mobs in ESO shine best at this point with different models( some areas up to 5 different models) being used than just two or one  instead of extreme over using of copy paste rename as the other two tend to use on a lot of the monsters groups  that did not seem to repeat over and over again in ESO I was able to find that there was a nice mix used in an area and changes made to model  types to give some contrast no matter how small the contrast it is good to see some small change than having none at all but on release once the client is stable ROFL that will be due to change but I must say the game is some what boring and the crafting was well you can already get the picture I found no use to try with the fact it would cause my PC to freeze every time i would try to cook anything at a cooking fire. ESO is an mmo of ES not the complete feel of ES yet it is not a finished work. It is not at all ready to compete in the market it is targeting with the fact that the game has so much  yet so little to offer in the end Zenimax and Bethesda should get a get together going on how to make the game work targeting a much more promising audience that would most likely ensure the game to be more of a success than the failure people already have logged it to be in their minds.

Comments

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    People who like story heavy RPGs and who are tired of the kill/fetch quests and those who don't need a screen cluttered with abilities to enjoy a game. Simple as that.

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631
    Originally posted by skyline385
    People who like story heavy RPGs and who are tired of the kill/fetch quests and those who don't need a screen cluttered with abilities to enjoy a game. Simple as that.

Die fetcher!

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    30(ish) year old gamers what grew up playing PnP D&D.
  • DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they are marketing to people who like the Elder Scrolls series.
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

I honestly don't know.

MMO players don't like it because of its terrible combat, animations, WoW-like questing.

ES fans don't like it because they wanted ES 6 with COOP.

PC players don't like it because the UI and skill system are made for consoles.

Console players don't like it because of an extra subscription.

Competitive PvPers don't like that the PvP is casualized just like GW2.

Raiders don't like it because of no raids.

P2P fans don't like the pre-order bonuses (which makes it slightly P2W) and cash shop.

So who is left?

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

Originally posted by boxsnd

I honestly don't know.

MMO players don't like it because of its terrible combat, animations, WoW-like questing.

P2P fans don't like the pre-order bonuses (which makes it slightly P2W) and cash shop.

So who is left?

That's amazing.

You speak for all MMO players, ES fans, PC players, Console players, Competitive PvPers, Raiders and P2P fans all at once.

I fall into all those categories in some shape or fashion. I can tell you I like what I saw and will be playing at launch.

I'm also going to make a bold prediction and say that I won't be the only person that is playing it at launch.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Originally posted by boxsnd I honestly don't know.   MMO players don't like it because of its terrible combat, animations, WoW-like questing.

Not sure what game you played....but ESO's questing was like Skyrim. Combat was like....Skyrim with a hot bar and some skills. The animations weren't awesome, but they were as good as a lot of semi-realistic MMOs out there. I guess if they made it more cartoony they would be better. But it's not trying to be cartoony. 

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by askdaboss

Die fetcher!

Damn I chuckled good.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194

If you enjoy a story heavy RPG and don't like themepark-kind of quests, then why not just buy a solo RPG instead ? Skyrim, The Witcher 2 etc. cost no more than 15$ now.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I would not have used so many words, but I think the OP has a point.  ESO is half aimed at MMORPG players, and half aimed at ES players, but not both of them.  They've done with ESO what developers always do when they compromise.  Each group gets half a game and the divisions are pretty stark within the game.  If I'm interpreting what I've seen correctly.  Developers should stop making compromises.  They just don't do a good job of it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by Damedius

I honestly don't know.

So who is left?

That's amazing.

You speak for all MMO players, ES fans, PC players, Console players, Competitive PvPers, Raiders and P2P fans all at once.

I fall into all those categories in some shape or fashion. I can tell you I like what I saw and will be playing at launch.

I'm also going to make a bold prediction and say that I won't be the only person that is playing it at launch.

Well but hes right ... many many players feel the way hes speaking.

ME personaly, player who play ONLY PC mmorpg games I dont like TESO because of its retarded UI / Single player game skin / not best combat or system

I am just not sure what I am going to do at max level? I do not enjoy questing grind etc, I enjoy grind dungs, raids for better gear, I enjoy mob grind, I enjoy housing and PvP with purpose (NOT GW2 pvp)

Originally posted by Dogblaster

That's amazing.

ME personaly, player who play ONLY PC mmorpg games I am tured be TESO because of its retarded UI, Single player skin and story driven game only...

No, he is wrong.

It's only sheer arrogance, mixed with a heavy dose of narcissism that would make one think they could speak for all of the those people.

There is a huge difference between having an opinion and being so arrogant to think that everyone else that plays video games shares it.

Originally posted by Damedius

That's amazing.

ME personaly, player who play ONLY PC mmorpg games I am tured be TESO because of its retarded UI, Single player skin and story driven game only...

No, he is wrong.

It's only sheer arrogance, mixed with a heavy dose of narcissism that would make one think they could speak for all of the those people.

There is a huge difference between having an opinion and being so arrogant to think that everyone else that plays video games shares it.

Look ... But there is also ONE oppinion that is shared among the majority, I am not saying he speaks for the majority but IF you think about it, hes kinda right.

The TESO is trying to be MMORPG but with SINGLE player skin and gameplay. This means, those who wants mmorpg will be turned off by single player aspects of the game and those who wants single player game will be turned off because mmorpg has to be dumped down ofc. etc.

Playble on console and PC. What this means, grafix is dumped down to be playable on consoles, also the instancing must be more intense, also the freaking UI must be retarded cause of consoles ... etc etc.

I just think, IF the game wants to be huge sucess, IT has to focus on certain customer. Not all of them.

• DjevikDjevik Member UncommonPosts: 107

I honestly don't know.

Competitive PvPers don't like that the PvP is casualized just like GW2.<--- Reason why I havent played the beta since

the PvP weekend..

So who is left?

I dont see the reason to play this if you love pvp, what do you have to work toward too? since the pvp is casualized, I like working for gear and then pvping and working on skill... with there gw2 system, it doesnt matter.. you have nothing to work forward too

• DoushiDoushi Member UncommonPosts: 96

I enjoyed it immensly, all I had to do is throw away the current MMO gen mindset, which is maximize everything, speedrun content for endgame.

After few hours I got used to the combat and felt good, not on skyrim level but more like oblivion.

The world is vast and just doing around exploring was good, I didnt feel any kind of pressure to do quests or lvl up fast like I do in other mmos.

This forum is so odd, First they dont want another WoW clone, and when someone does something different from the norm. they go apeshit mad and cries till day ends.

The game is not perfect, no game ever will be.

Haters hate, for the sake of hating.

Zenimax has full support from me and I really hope they keep the path they have chosen for the game.

mmorpg.com, the 4chan of mmo forums.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359

The game is marketed to everyone in the hopes that enough people lacking any form of critical thinking take a look based on the ES title and that it is an MMO. It is irrelevant what the quality of the game is because enough will buy it because they like shinnies.

Originally posted by Markusrind

The game is marketed to everyone in the hopes that enough people lacking any form of critical thinking take a look based on the ES title and that it is an MMO. It is irrelevant what the quality of the game is because enough will buy it because they like shinnies.

I think this guy nailed it.

Agreed with this 100%. Who cares how good the game is, it will sell enought copies to be worth investing to. But I dont see this anything more than avarage or below avarage mmorpg. That is just my oppinion :) I am waiting for Wildstar, which someone else will hate or dislike :) we are all different but game that wants to satisfy everyone will fail

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    ESO feels more like an mmo than all the other lobby waiting, dungeon crawling, loot whoring mmo's on the market. The world feels alive and it's not static.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by aSynchro

If you enjoy a story heavy RPG and don't like themepark-kind of quests, then why not just buy a solo RPG instead ? Skyrim, The Witcher 2 etc. cost no more than 15$ now.

Why when it's available in this MMO?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I honestly don't know.

So who is left?

I am an MMO player and like the combat... Espescially in group play and pvP it shines

I am an elder scrolls fan since daggerfall, and its just the next step of an evolution, the sand box path of daggerfall is way behind us.. Even skyrim was mostly quest based the way i played it, all the things i liked in Skyrim are still there

I am a PC player and love the minimalistic interface, and the skillsytem is the most sandboxy for any classbased MMO.

My kids are console players, and i bet that if i would pay the monthly fees, or they had enough money to pay them, they would be playing ESO on consoles..  They loved Skyrim on the 360 and they are now playing DCuO on PS4...   But if they want to play, they have to earn it.... By the way, on the PS4 you can play ESo withouth a sony online subscription..  XBOX one is a different story.

I know some hardcore PvP players that just love the PvP setting.... Its really like DAoC and thats still the best PvP iever played... And since the developers are very familiar with DAoC, i am pretty sure that over time all the good things of DAoC will shine in ESO too...  and the combat system just works perfect in Pvp, really shines there..

i have heared that there will be many 24 person raid zones at release called adventure zones.... Theideabehind thes zones is. That they are very hard, butonce you succeed in them there is no reason to keep repeating it time after time after time... They will keep pushing new adventure zones at a much higher speed then current developers push raidzones

i dont like the pre order bonus either.... But luckilly there willbe no cash shop in game.. Only a system that sells account services like in WoW..

Some people want to see the negativity of things....... Her is my question again for you..

Did you trythe game past the first three levels?  Did you get intoo PvP?  Did you reach the first Dungeon? did you even sign up for beta?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by aSynchro

I have played them all. ESO seems fun to me and so i got it.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Did you trythe game past the first three levels?  Did you get intoo PvP?  Did you reach the first Dungeon? did you even sign up for beta?

Would it make any difference to you or your opinion if people said yes to all your questions and still didn't like it?

My guess is it wouldn't so why bother asking. You like it and will not change your mind. Others don't and they also will not change their mind.

From my point of view (being able to answer yes to all your questions) II will not buy it. Why? Not because the game is inherently bad, it is simply nothing special. Combined with the total balls up the guys in charge have made of every step so far and I just do not want to support such a bland game and such a poor management team.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Me too haha

Edit: Oops,On the die fetcher! comment :)

Look ... But there is also ONE oppinion that is shared among the majority, I am not saying he speaks for the majority but IF you think about it, hes kinda right.

The TESO is trying to be MMORPG but with SINGLE player skin and gameplay. This means, those who wants mmorpg will be turned off by single player aspects of the game and those who wants single player game will be turned off because mmorpg has to be dumped down ofc. etc.

Playble on console and PC. What this means, grafix is dumped down to be playable on consoles, also the instancing must be more intense, also the freaking UI must be retarded cause of consoles ... etc etc.

I just think, IF the game wants to be huge sucess, IT has to focus on certain customer. Not all of them.

It isn't trying to be an mmorpg. It is one by definition.  It's massive, it's multiplayer, it's online and it's an rpg.

They don't have to dumb down the graphics for consoles. They have to dumb down so it's playable by the majority of computers. AoC made the mistake of trying to have top end graphics and it caused a huge blacklash.(Not that was the only problem with AoC and not that AoC didn't make money any ways.)

Furthermore the last few Elder Scrolls have been made for both consoles and PC. Why would the mmo be any different? Are those game not a success? According to you no because they didn't concentrate on a certain customer. You seem to think that there is no overlap between these groups. When all you have to do is see that many titles sell well on both consoles and the PC.

There seems to be this affliction among mmo players that baffles my mind. If they don't like the game, it's automatically trash and a failure. I'm not sure what in particular it is about mmo gamers that causes this. I only know that it's irrational and illogical.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I signed up the first day of the beta sign ups back in February 2013 I think? I was actually pretty excited because the PvP sounded like DAoC 2 and I have been waiting for a DAoC 2 since it was killed by ToA and NF in 2003-4. That only lasted until I played it a few months ago. The combat/UI/animations are the worst I have seen in my 13 years of playing MMOs. The leveling from 1 to10 was painful (I wanted to give up by level 6-7) but I endured it so I can at least try the PvP. The PvP turned out to be very well optimized (no lag even in huge battles), but it was ruined by the horrible combat system. It was 100% mindless zerging (the same problem as in GW2), and the PvP progression seems more like the WoW honor point system than DAoC.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann