Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suspicious of all the bad reviews...

DuluDulu Member UncommonPosts: 58

Been on the MMO scene for a very long time, and I've seen companies like MMORPG.com and other review sites suck the **** of games that have been terrible, just because they have big names.

Age of Conan, Warhammer and Guild Wars 2 being the most notable. Anyone who was an MMO veteran when these games were releasing probably remembers thinking these games would be the next WoW, or the next Jesus Christ, etc. That's what the review companies were spouting.

And then you actually got to play the games... and yeah, we know the history.

My point is, why is it all of a sudden a game like ESO, which I thoroughly enjoy and think is so much better than anything that has released in years, is getting such terrible reviews, while games which almost no one enjoyed - received such AWESOME reviews?

What's going on? Did Zenimax not pay someone? Is this an organized plot by a competitor? I hate to be the conspiracy theory guy, but I don't understand. Or, is this just some sort of meme which has spread across the internet like wildfire, or doge? "ESO sucks, not worth $15, armor painted on, blah blah blah" (Anyone else notice the reviews all use the exact same terminology? I had never heard anyone say "armor painted on" before ESO, yet I've heard it in EVERY-SINGLE-REVIEW!)

I'm a skeptic, and I think some BS is going on..

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

You must be new to this site.

Anyhow I am enjoying the game, don't regret my IMP ce purchase, but to be honest I will probably only sub for 3-4 months

• DuluDulu Member UncommonPosts: 58

8 years on the site = new.

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564

First, ignore the opinions of the "people" on mmorpg.com

Secondly, don't bet on the previews as well. The previews are coming from just playing the Tutorial area. Any MMO player will know better than to judge a game from the tutorial areas. Once people start reviewing the later areas, end-game PvE and Cyrodiill, we can make an assessment of the game.

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Originally posted by Asheram

The OP has been a member since 2006, and has some 48 posts.  Not new at all, and has some good questions.

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688

Hmm... i actually remember AOC and WAR, and all the negativity around them on the forums before they were released.

But then there were the fanboys that kept chiming in with "a lot can happen in X months".

History repeating itself?

Only difference now is that even the professional previews aren't so positive...

• Somehow I doubt that it's a conspiracy of some kind. What's more likely - everyone is out to get this one single game, or that it's boring/not worth the money?
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Dulu

So you think that people are paid shills and that they are being paid to shit-can this game?

I'm going to pretend you are kidding.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

All the press figureheads met in a dimly lit, smokey room with a table that sat 40 people. They brought in Frior and said, "give us your money or we'll wreck your hopes and dreams."

Frior, being the stand up gut he is, said, "to hell with you, foul scum! Paying for reviews has gone on too long!"

"You have no idea what you've done, Frior. Guards! Get him out of here!"

The rest is history.

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315

Been on the MMO scene for a very long time, and I've seen companies like MMORPG.com and other review sites suck the **** of games that have been terrible, just because they have big names.

Age of Conan, Warhammer and Guild Wars 2 being the most notable. Anyone who was an MMO veteran when these games were releasing probably remembers thinking these games would be the next WoW, or the next Jesus Christ, etc. That's what the review companies were spouting.

And then you actually got to play the games... and yeah, we know the history.

My point is, why is it all of a sudden a game like ESO, which I thoroughly enjoy and think is so much better than anything that has released in years, is getting such terrible reviews, while games which almost no one enjoyed - received such AWESOME reviews?

What's going on? Did Zenimax not pay someone? Is this an organized plot by a competitor? I hate to be the conspiracy theory guy, but I don't understand. Or, is this just some sort of meme which has spread across the internet like wildfire, or doge? "ESO sucks, not worth $15, armor painted on, blah blah blah" (Anyone else notice the reviews all use the exact same terminology? I had never heard anyone say "armor painted on" before ESO, yet I've heard it in EVERY-SINGLE-REVIEW!)

Maybe everyone found out that you think the game is so amazing even though there is really no way you could possibly know that at this point and decided to go all Legion of Doom on you and destroy ESO before it can fly. Or possibly you just have some first impressions and the first 10 levels of the game look a bit dull.

• Originally posted by BeansnBread

All the press figureheads met in a dimly lit, smokey room with a table that sat 40 people. They brought in Frior and said, "give us your money or we'll wreck your hopes and dreams."

Frior, being the stand up gut he is, said, "to hell with you, foul scum! Paying for reviews has gone on too long!"

"You have no idea what you've done, Frior. Guards! Get him out of here!"

The rest is history.

You'd have to respect such a thing if it was true. I wish it was since it would make headway for getting rid of professional reviewers in the publisher's pockets.

But without proof, it's just a fantasy. :(

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Sure it could be some conspiracy that people are being paid to badmouth the game.  However, I think the more realistic approach is that they are just saying what they feel about the game.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I don't really read all the reviews or pay too much attention to who says what. If I want to try it I will. I might not always like it, but at least I'll have my own opinion of a game. I've liked games that others didn't, and vice versa. But with TESO I have played three betas and I truly do hate it. So if there are a lot of negative reviews about it, then I guess for once I have to agree.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Just reading someones opinion about a game without knowing anything about the person you're reading is another thing to consider. If you listen or read anything from Joe Smith and he is a huge console gamer wtf does he know about it really more than from a person who mainly plays MMO games.

Would you go to a shoe store to get a review of a jacket?

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

Yea, that post made my BS meter bend the needle past the MAX. What review are you exactly talking about?

And

"which almost no one enjoyed" Yea, millions of people is now referred to as "almost no one". I guess if you compare it to the 7 billion of us on this earth, sure, yea, that makes total sense!

Got to keep up that post count, or did you corner the tinfoil hat market, or what purpose did this post serve?

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Say what?  There was only one critical review on this site and it was hardly "bad."  It still had positives.  
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

What makes one persons opinion worth more than another's, when it isn't yours? That reviewer your reading is just a person. He has no training or skill that gives him a better eye when it comes to these games. If you'v ebeen playing them for years you have all the expreience you need to consider yourself an expert on what you like.

You know better than any reviewer ever will what makes a game good or bad for you. That's why when a review focuses more on his/her opinion rather than just explaining details about the game...it's a trash review that isn't worth finishing.

• ZagaZaga Member Posts: 23

OP is correct that every other MMO nowadays seems to be hyped up by the press like its the second coming of Jesus. It's a gaming press thing in general, not really limited to MMOs, I believe.

The fact that ESO is not getting such treatment (despite having a much bigger franchise name) is more likely the sign of a below-average game than the sign of a great conspiracy targeting ESO in particular, though.

Another sign is the fact that you don't get radically polarized opinions from the press (neither for nor against the game), like you did with previous overhyped titles. So it's not like people are being paid to bash it into the ground, because they aren't bashing it into the ground. The reviewer consensus about ESO is "meh".

• vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125
    yup thats interesting, not saying people cant have different opnions, but while i am considered a "hater" in most forums and not a fan of ES series myself, i find the doom and gloom level on this forum is too damn high. Id think warz change their name to ESO if i didnt know that.
  • NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

So you think that people are paid shills and that they are being paid to shit-can this game?

So you think when hundreds of millions of dollars are a stake, companies wouldn't shill out a few thousand here and there to create bad press for their competitor?

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by rodingo
    Sure it could be some conspiracy that people are being paid to badmouth the game.  However, I think the more realistic approach is that they are just saying what they feel about the game.

or maybe they are scared of the backlash they will get from their readers by saying anything positive about the game?

writers will say whatever they need to say to get people to read their articles or subscribe to their youtube channels.

i mean, if i took these "reviews" to heart, i would think that ESO was one of the worst mmo's ever created and i know that isn't true so something isn't right here.

8 years on the site = new.

Originally posted by Wylf
    Originally posted by Asheram

The OP has been a member since 2006, and has some 48 posts.  Not new at all, and has some good questions.

I didn't mean no disrespect to the op, just that the negativity of this site- not the ones running it either- just a lot of the posters here. I am sry that I gave off the wrong meaning.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

Actually you just named games that had really high potential to be the best game out.    As far as MMORPG reviews, I seen one the other day where the MMORPG Bill Murphy praised the game and couldn't wait to play it. 

Originally posted by ihaveabeard
    Somehow I doubt that it's a conspiracy of some kind. What's more likely - everyone is out to get this one single game, or that it's boring/not worth the money?

Why does it have to be everyone is on one side? I don't care what game is being reviewed you aren't going to please everyone.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

I have see so called press lie their asses off about a piece of shit game to get us to buy it, but this is the first time I've seen press lying their asses off about a great game to try and get us not to buy it.

Frankly I think it is time for game devs to start re-evaluating who truly deserves to be considered press.

I think Angry Joe really states the real issue here. The ENTITLED mentality. 

Basically he states...

If ESO was a FREE game with this awesome engine, fantastic combat, superior graphics, and huge huge world, this would be the BEST game EVER!!

But because it's not FREE it sucks....

This whole entitled mentality that has become so prevalent  really pisses me off.

ESO is costing them a rather sizable investment, to provide a quality staff, and NOT to pink slip the whole dev team right after launch like EVERY F2P game has done costs money.

If you do not like it then go play one of the 100's of F2P games that you are bored with in two weeks, or raising hell because they have no support staff and you have to wait weeks to get an email answered.

Tons of us are excited over ESO and even more excited to be getting back to a sub based model so we do not have to put up with gold spammers, botters, hackers, chat spamming idiots, and entitled kiddies.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by osc8r

Hmm... i actually remember AOC and WAR, and all the negativity around them on the forums before they were released.

But then there were the fanboys that kept chiming in with "a lot can happen in X months".

i remember AOC fans claiming the "magic patch" prelaunch