Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For everyone wanting F2P

Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

I understand wanting to get something for nothing.  It has a nice ring to it.  However, every game up to and including GW2 that has went this route has been thoroughly TRASHED on these boards by the same players demanding TESO go F2P.  If you really like the F2P model, why do you feel the need to rant about every F2P game that comes out? 

I believe the truth is there's no MMO that's good enough to meet the high standards of the people on these boards, regardless of their pricing model.  If TESO were F2P, you would be here bitching about something in the game (oh... let's go out on a limb and guess themepark -- that usually comes up).

Hell, even after a game goes from B2P to F2P, you still trash it relentlessly -- see SWTOR.

After much thought and consideration (about the same 15 minutes you typically give a game before hating on it), I have come up with the conclusion that YOU are what's wrong with the MMO community.

That is all.  Have a great day, and happy Sunday to you.

BTW, if you feel as if I'm speaking to YOU, I probably am.  If not, I'm probably not.

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I don't really see this thread lasting but it's too bad if it doesn't because I agree to a point that much of the problems are the posters and not the games.

You do see the same people hating over and over, but it isn't always just wanting f2p. The rabid hate comes from both sides. 

The absolute hate that people can feel for a game they've never really even played is pretty weird when you sit back and look at it. You shouldn't be getting this upset over a game. To the point where you lose all reason and see everything as just another reason why your hate is justified. It goes way too far over something you should be doing for fun.

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    Only thing I really agree with you on is that there is no MMO out that meets my high standards. You sir are correct. 

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Well in a few years time the free to play model will spread and we will have mmo games like dungeon keeper with its endless paywalls and gems stores. There will be complaints of course. But people will keep buying it and eventually EA will take over the world.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

I will never critique a game I have not played.  

I am pro a functional f2p model like Mabinogi but I have not seen another game meet those good standards for a f2p model.  I worry a company will not be able to take care of it's game down the road if it does not bring in enough revenue.  I am not as critical of box and sub payment models as I used to be.  Most my criticism pours toward games made illegal to purchase from more than one distributor.  Esp as the game ages and the company sponsoring it wants you to buy the upgraded newer version.  And the promotion of highly expensive game stations every few years which once again makes gaming for the rich kids only and shuts out the poor.  My hate's there.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    The only MMOs on my radar are F2P so I really couldn't care how many P2P disasters flop as people will start seeing the light that shitty P2P is worse than shitty F2P because no one wastes money in the latter and the good quality P2P games I can count on the fingers on one hand, good F2P games are far more numerous and set to get even more numerous while P2P games have maybe Trials of Ascension coming, maybe.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    Well in a few years time the free to play model will spread and we will have mmo games like dungeon keeper with its endless paywalls and gems stores. There will be complaints of course. But people will keep buying it and eventually EA will take over the world.

"in a few years time"?

It is already spread and it is the norm. Just count how many MMOs are F2P, and how many are sub-only.

EA can be irritating.  They aren't the only one's making old games illegal for purchase.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

F2P games tend to cost much more than P2P game to enjoy them. For FFXIV I pay $15 a month and I get everything. I have access to everything for $15 a month.

EQLandmark, $99 for a game currently in beta.  F2P is very expensive.

• mohit9206mohit9206 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Everyone either wants all games to be F2P or Sub games to be F2P is because there are many F2P games out there that are superior to P2P games.So if people think a particular pay2play game does not meet standard to justify its cost like for example TESO then it does not deserve to be P2P as there are better alternatives out there many of which are free like for example RIFT or NeverWinter or TERA.
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

F2P games tend to cost much more than P2P game to enjoy them.

That applies to you .. not everyone.

For me, they cost nothing to enjoy.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

F2P games tend to cost much more than P2P game to enjoy them. For FFXIV I pay $15 a month and I get everything. I have access to everything for $15 a month.

I love have P2P enthusiasts always forget that they had to pay for a box price on top of per month. You know the collectors editions that can cost $80 to $150? Herp Derp. 

Hey fellow XIV'er!  

There are some f2p games that should have omg just subbed.  But there are others that are okay as free.  The problem with subbing is if you the gamer want to walk away from a game for a month or two you feel like you have wasted money.  But if a f2p is costing more than $15 a month to enjoy...

Now if all f2p's were to disappear off the earth the p2p's would get crappy.  P2p have to be able to say they are worthy of that $15 mo sub.  So I'm still pro f2p because they force the standard up very high on my p2p.  Win win.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Sub fees haven't made sense for a while now. The reason to charge people to play is for server costs and bandwidth. That is why when I was young we payed by the hour because it was so expensive. Then as it got cheaper we moved to a monthly fee and now it is dirt cheap so a monthly fee no longer makes much sense. I'm fine with F2P or B2P, both have their pluses and minuses. Sub fee is just a way to rip people off by not giving them more than other games but making them pay more and making them feel tied to the game since they don't want to take breaks or not play enough to get their money's worth.

• cydoneqcydoneq Member UncommonPosts: 66
    wasnt the whole point of playing mmorpgs to get the big gear to show off? :)

• mohit9206mohit9206 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by cydoneq

No its about enjoying the storyline.After story finish then start another mmorpg with good story.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

You are barking at the moon, OP.

It won't be me, you or anyone posting on a forum that sends ESO to the free to play model. It will be Zenimax and my guess is, the decision was already made. You don't put cash shops in subscription based games. If that's not your prelude I don't know what is.

Originally posted by mohit9206

No its about enjoying the storyline.After story finish then start another mmorpg with good story.

There is no single "point" of playing MMORPGs .. it is up to the individual to decide what he/she will enjoy.

Originally posted by free2play

It won't be me, you or anyone posting on a forum that sends ESO to the free to play model. It will be Zenimax and my guess is, the decision was already made. You don't put cash shops in subscription based games. If that's not your prelude I don't know what is.

Of course you do. The biggest, most successful sub-only game (WoW) does so. Why wouldn't other games follow suit?

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by free2play

Of course you do. The biggest, most successful sub-only game (WoW) does so. Why wouldn't other games follow suit?

Sure thing, Pontiac.

See you in a year when it's buy to play like TSW.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by mohit9206

Story line = you being the ONE hero = single player game

MMOs are about being apart of the world. A cog in the machine.

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    No way man it's about being the "One Hero" and showing off your fresh threads to all your online buddies. 

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)