Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] General: Broadsword Online: What It Means For UO & DAOC

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, EA and Mythic announced a partnership agreement with indie studio Broadsword Online Gaming to take over the development side of both Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot. We caught up with the team to find out what that means for two of the genre's most beloved titles. 

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Broadsword Online: What It Means For UO & DAOC.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165

"We are a natural fit to partner with Electronic Arts and with Paul Barnett"

Well, that's all I needed to read...

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Yukmarc

"We are a natural fit to partner with Electronic Arts and with Paul Barnett"

Well, that's all I needed to read...

Time to abandon ship.

Anyway, I'll keep my eye on this and see if it's just pointless re-branding because Mythic is maybe going the way of the Dodo or if they actually intend to make new content for the games. Perhaps they have F2P models in store for DAoC and UO, although you have to question the feasibility of it.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Will you bust out with the real ace in the hole "Rolemaster Magestorm" ?
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Mythic hasn't existed in any measurable form for years and its certainly not the Mythic we knew before they were digested by EA. It's just a name now, nothing more.

The sad thing is they only have to look at the popularity of CU kickstarter to see a lot of former DAoC players miss their beloved game and many would return to the fold if they ever put any measurable capital into the game and drove it forward.

Shuffling DAoC onto a tiny indie developer really means they have no plans to do anything but keep the status quo and keep milking their ageing former prize cow for some time to come.

Oddly enough that is actualy pleasantly reassuring considering the fate of games such as Warhammer, SWG etc, to know DAoC and UO will be around for a while to come still is quite a nostalgic boon.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    If they really want to save DAoC they will release a classic server and change the business model to B2P/F2P. 

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by boxsnd
    If they really want to save DAoC they will release a classic server and change the business model to B2P/F2P. 

err so i never played the game at any stage but what your suggesting is..
    For the company to hide everything you hold dear to your nostalgia behind a paywall?
    Because really, who is gona pay for cosmetics with graphics like that?

On the other hand the idea of a subscriptionless UO interests me, But like i said i dont think fp2 will be worth it because it would "break" what fun is in the game.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

B2P/F2P are "Paywalls" that wrench your wallet open in order for you to pay MORE for what P2P gives you with a small fee of 14.95/month for unlimited access.

P2P > B2P/F2P

B2P/F2P is a scam when it comes to MMORPGs. Especially in a game as competitive as UO and DAOC.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Both are in my top 5 of all time, but I really dislike the new skill system setup for UO, the samarai stuff, and I doubt they do anything that will make that better.  They were going to make a more classic server, last time I played it, but they decided not to.

I haven't played DAoC in a long time, was too much boting and other things.  Them doing severe class changes over a year into release made me leave, it got tiring, still was a great experience though.  I had gone back and played a little, but not as much as I have UO.

Will have to keep an eye on things, but I don't see enough changing to make me want to go back.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

EA, Rob Denton, and Paul Barnett are the people who gutted Mythic, sank WAR, and then kept Mark Jacobs from getting the rights to DAoC back.

They are scum, plain and simple. Money grubbing corporate scum. EA Louse touched a little bit on just how bad they are, but its only the tip of the iceberg. I'd rather have the current, half dead DAoC than give these fuckers money.

When Jacobs starting putting together the DAoC Origins server, to bring it all back to pre ToA, EA cut the cord on the project and shuffled everyone over to save WAR and SWTOR.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by BearKnight

B2P/F2P are "Paywalls" that wrench your wallet open in order for you to pay MORE for what P2P gives you with a small fee of 14.95/month for unlimited access.

P2P > B2P/F2P

B2P/F2P is a scam when it comes to MMORPGs. Especially in a game as competitive as UO and DAOC.

You sound confused. P2P is a paywall. P2W is a paywall. F2P is not a paywall. F2P will always be the most consumer friendly with B2P following it.

What you and the devs don't realize is that DAoC needs a big population to be fun. More people = more fun. F2P or B2P with a cosmetic / non-P2W cash shop would be the perfect business model for it.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• GrimtheGamerGrimtheGamer Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I'm not understanding what just happened completely. I know many people will say, "It was a pleasure to work with so and so." when they buy something from them. Was the two bought from EA or is it as the first posts were fearing in that this is just a rebranding of the products but owned by the same people essentially?
  • GrimtheGamerGrimtheGamer Member UncommonPosts: 10

Nevermind my question. I just read this on the DAoC website:

Broadsword Online Games will partner with EA’s Mythic Entertainment to operate, support and develop Dark Age of Camelot on EA’s behalf.  Electronic Arts will continue to provide billing and account services through its Origin portal.   Broadsword and Electronic Arts will work closely together to ensure a bright future for Dark Age of Camelot.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by Zinzan

Mythic hasn't existed in any measurable form for years and its certainly not the Mythic we knew before they were digested by EA. It's just a name now, nothing more.

Mythic makes free to play mobile games now, like Ultima Forever and the horrible Dungeon Keeper game.

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by Zinzan

The sad thing is they only have to look at the popularity of CU kickstarter to see a lot of former DAoC players miss their beloved game and many would return to the fold if they ever put any measurable capital into the game and drove it forward.

Shuffling DAoC onto a tiny indie developer really means they have no plans to do anything but keep the status quo and keep milking their ageing former prize cow for some time to come.

Oddly enough that is actualy pleasantly reassuring considering the fate of games such as Warhammer, SWG etc, to know DAoC and UO will be around for a while to come still is quite a nostalgic boon.

I'm wondering if EA looked at the success of the CU Kickstarter and the hype from the old DAoC players and realized they they need to do something to prevent Mark Jacobs from stealing the rest of their player base... and Broadsword is their answer.. I know, it might be a bit far reaching.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

EA, Rob Denton, and Paul Barnett are the people who gutted Mythic, sank WAR, and then kept Mark Jacobs from getting the rights to DAoC back.

They are scum, plain and simple. Money grubbing corporate scum. EA Louse touched a little bit on just how bad they are, but its only the tip of the iceberg. I'd rather have the current, half dead DAoC than give these fuckers money.

When Jacobs starting putting together the DAoC Origins server, to bring it all back to pre ToA, EA cut the cord on the project and shuffled everyone over to save WAR and SWTOR.

Yeah, I have 0 interest in anything that Denton is involved with.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927
    How is rebranding the company supposed to garner interest when you are still under the umbrella of the worst company in the world? This is really just a non starter. Wake me up if EA actually sells this company off.

----ITS A TRAP!!!----

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

P2P > B2P/F2P

You sound confused. P2P is a paywall. P2W is a paywall. F2P is not a paywall. F2P will always be the most consumer friendly with B2P following it.

What you and the devs don't realize is that DAoC needs a big population to be fun. More people = more fun. F2P or B2P with a cosmetic / non-P2W cash shop would be the perfect business model for it.

Best bet, is forget all the B2P/F2P crap, and make it $4.99 a month. I can almost guarantee they ll get 10 times more people then they have now @ $14.99 a month.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Ice-Queen

Yeah the dude sounds like a real piece of shit. I wouldn't give him a dollar for anything he puts out.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Here is a TL;DR for their DAOC plans:

- update the daoc websites like camelot herald

- update the UI to attract more users

- implement a RVR revamp patch (which is currently live on the test server

- maintain close relations with the community through the forums

Here is a link to the current planned revamp changes:

http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/article/patch-1115-comes-pendragon

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I'll wait for CU and Star Citizen thanks very much. The ability to bypass greedy corporations via Kickstarter is going to save the MMO genre for the niche player.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299

While this direction for DAOC is more promising than it was a few months ago, the fact that it's gotten this bad under the leadership of Mythic and EA says it all. I'm more interested in waiting for CU, which I'm a backer of.

ESO's AvA and the new WoW expanion's open world pvp zone should hold me over till then.

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Originally posted by Ice-Queen

Yeah the dude sounds like a real piece of shit. I wouldn't give him a dollar for anything he puts out.

QFT.  Not a single dime from me.

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Soki123

P2P > B2P/F2P

Best bet, is forget all the B2P/F2P crap, and make it $4.99 a month. I can almost guarantee they ll get 10 times more people then they have now @ $14.99 a month.

That still makes it Pay to Play....

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    I was kinda excited for this when it was first talked about here . But after reading the interview and listening to Rob Denton whom run warhammer online into the ground I have absolutely no faith at all in them doing anything remotely like making this game modernized or up to date. Also I had friends at mythic whom lost their jobs because of this douche bag so this is kinda personal to me after reading his arrogance. The fact he is sounding his own horn so much instead of giving credit to the 80 plus devs he had laid off speaks volumes about him.