Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And the most honest review goes to,,,,,,RPS(iknowright?)

Comments

• wazaapwazaap Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by Kamofila
    Originally posted by wazaap

You can hardly call it a review when the author has reached lvl 7 out of 50 and chooses to ignore all lore and just click away through it.

And how about things like crafting, pvp and tougher content than the noob area?

Just because you agree with what somebody writes, dosent mean that its a honest review.  I think i will wait for an actual review, thank you very much.

You mean when Zenimax opens up the entire game for review? THAT is the scary part.

Yeah... That is scary!! The game might end up actually beeing an fun and enjoyable experience!! :-O

j/k. 

Back on topic. I bet he had the chance to play further than he did and try to immerse into the story.  But hey, im not the one who has to pay his salary, so it aint my headache. 

Im looking forward to an actual review and not just a preview.

And meanwhile, i guess people who want to play it can praise the decision to make it a sub based game. That should keep most of the haters away. 

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Originally posted by Betaguy

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/07/hands-on-the-first-few-hours-of-elder-scrolls-online/#more-188471

rps = nail on head this time.

Not a very truthful review and very biased, the guy hates Raiding and PVP. That automatically takes out about 50% of any decent MMO. The guy needs to quit his day job of being a journalist or learn to review properly.  He isn't cut out to review games maybe he should try another product like Kleenex or something first.

How much raiding and PvP is in the first seven levels? So even if he dislikes that aspect of the game, it still is completely irrelevant to the review. His review was on the beginning of the game. Which is a tell tale sign of how much of the game will carry along untill you get to the PvP and raiding endgame.

• GadarethGadareth Member UncommonPosts: 310

The thing about all these reviewers they are not savants nor do they speak with any major degree of impartitality they speak on the basis of their own preferences.

It can be supposed that the people who read and follow their review share this preference and hence the reviews have meaning for them. To the majority of people they wont have any meaning as unless you agree with what metrics he uses and what goals he considers important then you won't find any use in his review.

This is true for ALL reviiewers, so listen to the ones you respect and ignore the ones that you don't.

In my case reading his review and having played through a Beta weekend I don't agree with his findings and infact many of the factors he disliked I thought good features.

So people live and let liive for the people who follow his idea of an ideal game perhaps this is not the game for them. Doesnt make his review any truer or false than anyone elses. It just shows that perhaps he would be better off in a different game.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Isn't the most honest review always the one that you agree with the most?

Well, there is not such a thing as an honest review if its based on the personal opinion of a so called Journalist

An honest review only states facts, figures and numbers..

But does not express emotions or personal opinions...

Clearly all these so called internet journalists never went to the jounalists school....

Except neither this guy nor Angry Joe stated it was a review. AJ called his a first impression and this article lists it as a hands on of the first few hours right there in the title. I have to say I completely agree with the article and AJ seeing as how I haven't been able make myself log in and test for this game due to uncontrollable fits of drowsiness after testing ESO for longer than ten minutes. I am not saying these aren't reviews of a sort, just that if you attack the journalists, at least attack them for things they did rather than discredit their work. The developers recognize them enough to give them the same press privileges to speak about the game without the NDA.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by MMOredfalcon
    Originally posted by Betaguy

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/07/hands-on-the-first-few-hours-of-elder-scrolls-online/#more-188471

Not a very truthful review and very biased, the guy hates Raiding and PVP. That automatically takes out about 50% of any decent MMO. The guy needs to quit his day job of being a journalist or learn to review properly.  He isn't cut out to review games maybe he should try another product like Kleenex or something first.

How much raiding and PvP is in the first seven levels? So even if he dislikes that aspect of the game, it still is completely irrelevant to the review. His review was on the beginning of the game. Which is a tell tale sign of how much of the game will carry along untill you get to the PvP and raiding endgame.

Isn't there no raiding in ESO? I am pretty sure I read on multiple occaisions that endgame is PVP and dungeons, no raids. Basically, like TSW for the first year. Did this change?

EDIT: I just did another search, and everyting (including Zenimax interviews) state that there are no raids in ESO. There are dungeons and a few large gorup world bosses, but no raids. That, in and of itself, will keep a way (before or after launch) a very large chunk of themepark MMO players unfortunatly IMO.

• tobywong420tobywong420 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Boring game.  Played 'em all.  This is just a money grab off the ass of Skyrim's success.
  • Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    ¨Level 7¨, thats all i have to say about the review. The real game start after level 10 with the Alliance Wars.

lol I love how people say the real game starts at some specific point. If the game doesn't start at level 1 .. I don't want to play it. I should be enjoying myself right at the start. Not at level 10. Not at level 15 or 20. From the very beginning.

If I am not having fun at the start, then the game is flawed, because hooking a person is an important part of keeping players.

I completely agree. Only my metric is immediately upon launching the login client. If the logos or colors don't look just so, I'm out. I should be enjoying myself right at the start. Not at the opening credits. Not at the cinimatic. I shouldn't have to wait til I'm in game. Truly from the very beginning.

If I'm not having fun from the very start, then the game is flawed, because hooking a person is an important part of keeping players.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

1. People here obviously need to learn the difference between a game review,a game preview and a game first look based on the first few hours of gameplay.

2. Any Journalist will tell you reviews are opinion pieces and opinion pieces are allowed in ethical journalism as long as they are based on personal views and not on any kind of personal agenda or influenced by outside agendas e.g bribery or political pressure at which point they become propaganda not opinion pieces.

3. As with any opinion piece the author's opinion is their own and as such is free to diverge from the statistical norm and certainly allowed not to agree with your opinion without having been paid for or attention seeking.

4. If this had been an overwhelmingly positive first look :

Most of the people here claiming it's negative for attention's sake would be praising it as the only honest review and none of them would point out the level he got to.

Most of the people claiming it's the best review ever would be accusing it of being a paid for review and probably pointing out his level.

5.Reviews should be used intelligently to help form your opinion of the game if you can't try it for yourself.Intelligent use of  reviews means finding a group that generally gels with your tastes and views on the subject over a long period of time.It doesn't mean searching out random reviews from people you never read before to back up your own uninformed opinion.

6. There is no 6 I just like even numbers!!!!

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    ¨Level 7¨, thats all i have to say about the review. The real game start after level 10 with the Alliance Wars.

lol I love how people say the real game starts at some specific point. If the game doesn't start at level 1 .. I don't want to play it. I should be enjoying myself right at the start. Not at level 10. Not at level 15 or 20. From the very beginning.

If I am not having fun at the start, then the game is flawed, because hooking a person is an important part of keeping players.

Did you remember AoC?. The game was amazing from level 1 till the end of the tutorial zone, all the reviews about the game were great, then a few days after release we found the true state of the game. This is not a Single player RPG, is a MMO. 

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    I like how "honest" means whatever OP's opinion is around these parts.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

I completely agree. Only my metric is immediately upon launching the login client. If the logos or colors don't look just so, I'm out. I should be enjoying myself right at the start. Not at the opening credits. Not at the cinimatic. I shouldn't have to wait til I'm in game. Truly from the very beginning.

If I'm not having fun from the very start, then the game is flawed, because hooking a person is an important part of keeping players.

Sometimes you just have to learn to be patient, and put in the time and effort to reach certain achievements and goals.

Might be level 10 to PVP, or level 40 for a mount, or level 20 when your avatar get's enough skills to really shine.

Sure, it can be "fun" in the beginning, but many titles require time and effort for you to grow into them, and they to grow on you.

OK, if you want to bail after 3 levels, no big deal, but you are probably missing out on same great games that take some time to mature.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I stopped reading very quickly into the article.  People have been complaining for over a decade about quests like 'kill x boars'.  Now that a game doesn't offer these types of quests (At least in the early going), we then have a problem with that too?

Which is it?  If you're going to complain about it when it's there, and complain about it when it's not, then what do you want?  If you can't make a reasonable suggestion as to an alternative quest style, then stop complaining.  So, since you said you agree with this review.  I'd like to know your stance on it.

How can you be taken seriously when it seems as if you'd complain about quests no matter what?  You have it, you complain.  You don't have it, you complain.  You have no quests at all, you complain?  Or do you honestly enjoy mindless quests like the reviewer seems to imply for themselves?

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    So its only considered honest when its only negative opinions?
  • OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by Kaerigan
    I like how "honest" means whatever OP's opinion is around these parts.

Don't forget "unbiased." Unbiased means "whoever agrees with me."

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    So its only considered honest when its only negative opinions?

No even positive reviews are considered honest. Depends upon which MMO is flavor of the month.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205

Honest Opinion:

This game went from absolute crap 1-8 to Absolutely amazing 8+...........

Why you ask???? I HAVE NO IDEA! it amazes me also

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by inemosz Another "Angry Joe" thread? Gosh, those are just opinions..
    By prominent and respected reviewers of hundreds of video games.

haha!
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    This "review" is like doing a review for DAOC without trying out the RVR.
  • Cures80Cures80 Member UncommonPosts: 29

another lvl 7 "review".

but its true - the game only starts shining (very bright imo) after lvl 10 (pvp).

i think people have no clue yet, that this is THE new RvR game, not some single-roleplayer shit.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

To many people are using the word review in the wrong context , it isn't a review and no one has reviewed the game yet. You can't review levels 1-15 in any game especially a game in beta. These are previews or maybe first impressions.

Carry on.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    That's not honesty. This guy knew the tone he wanted for his review before he even logged in. 
  • R.LimaR.Lima Member UncommonPosts: 135

First of all, it's not a review, it's merely his first impressions. In order to formulate a review, one must see pretty much every feature a game has to offer, something he did not do. Not only that, I find it amusing that you state it as "the most honest review" simply because you agree with his opinion. Are you implying that other "reviews" that do not share said opinion are somehow dishonest? Funny, I suppose the word "opinion" takes different forms to suit your needs then.

As for RPS's take on ESO, I felt completely different about the game as I thoroughly enjoyed my time seeing what it had to offer. However, one sentence stood out for me: "...and I was apparently supposed to put in far more effort than I possess to care about who was who and why they were cross" That line just resonates his lack of impartiality when judging the game. He couldn't even be bothered to know what he was doing? I appreciate criticism, but as a critic you at least need to give something a fair shot, and not completely disregard it because it required you to "put in far more effort than [you] possess to care..."

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

The below quotes from the review sums it up nicely.

"There’s no escaping comparison from the rest of the Elder Scrolls series. And nor should they be. They’ve made a definitive and absolute statement when they chose to call this Elder Scrolls Online. It is that legendary series, taken into a shared space. And so it absolutely must be judged in that context.

Things begin about as generically as you could imagine.

At one point a boat’s captain asked me to find three of her missing crewmen. They were within her eyesight.

The banal conversations, scrambled justifications to have you move from point A to point B. Well, in the opening few hours, at least.

To give credit, a lot of the powerful, leader characters are women, but none has anything interesting to say. They’re cardboard, speaking in cardboard.

Combat, I’m afraid, doesn’t save it from its plague of blandness.

There’s no impact to the combat, and while it shares The Secret World’s cone-of-attack dodging, it feels loose, flimsy and detached.

I’m not going to pretend that the above doesn’t look like a kicking. But I want to reiterate that in delivering a bland, ordinary MMO, Bethesda appear to be succeeding. It’s pretty, detailed, packed with wildlife you can senselessly murder. But the issue is, we’ve got an awful lot of bland, ordinary MMOs, and we don’t have a nice shiny new The Elder Scrolls RPG.

Try as I might, I can’t help but see this as all the worst bits of TES games – the dreadful dialogue, the crummy acting, the god-awful inventories (WHY! Why would they deliberately bring that aspect of TES into the MMO world, so you’ve got endless vertical scrolling lists of items, rather than a nice, useful tiled window?), put into an old-fashioned MMO space."

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by JJ82

The below quotes from the review sums it up nicely.

"There’s no escaping comparison from the rest of the Elder Scrolls series. And nor should they be. They’ve made a definitive and absolute statement when they chose to call this Elder Scrolls Online. It is that legendary series, taken into a shared space. And so it absolutely must be judged in that context.

Things begin about as generically as you could imagine.

At one point a boat’s captain asked me to find three of her missing crewmen. They were within her eyesight.

The banal conversations, scrambled justifications to have you move from point A to point B. Well, in the opening few hours, at least.

To give credit, a lot of the powerful, leader characters are women, but none has anything interesting to say. They’re cardboard, speaking in cardboard.

Combat, I’m afraid, doesn’t save it from its plague of blandness.

There’s no impact to the combat, and while it shares The Secret World’s cone-of-attack dodging, it feels loose, flimsy and detached.

I’m not going to pretend that the above doesn’t look like a kicking. But I want to reiterate that in delivering a bland, ordinary MMO, Bethesda appear to be succeeding. It’s pretty, detailed, packed with wildlife you can senselessly murder. But the issue is, we’ve got an awful lot of bland, ordinary MMOs, and we don’t have a nice shiny new The Elder Scrolls RPG.

Try as I might, I can’t help but see this as all the worst bits of TES games – the dreadful dialogue, the crummy acting, the god-awful inventories (WHY! Why would they deliberately bring that aspect of TES into the MMO world, so you’ve got endless vertical scrolling lists of items, rather than a nice, useful tiled window?), put into an old-fashioned MMO space."

This quote > "Were this to use the far more sensible free-to-start option,"

That's when I'll be subbing up to this game faster than lightening... it's not a money thing for those that think that, it's 100% principle and the basic fact that i'm in no rush to play the same mmo, i've been playing since wow (from what i have gathered from press reviews).

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • coventryhagdogcoventryhagdog Member Posts: 85

Shame that the cat is out of the bag.

It still begs the question: what were they thinking when they thought this was a good idea?

Well, maybe they spent nothing on it.......

... who am I kidding? Look at the hands-on previews. Look at the graphics and how well the game runs.

A lot of money went into this game.. it's going to be very sad when the shit hits the fan.

It's almost as depressing when the game was announced and met with disappointment, although it turns out that the initial disappointment was completely warranted.

Good luck to people working at ZO, they will certainly need it.

I guess there never will be another ESO and perhaps rightfully so, because the most attractive properties of ES are mostly found in single player games.

To be fair, other games, like Fallen Earth delivered a lot more than ESO, especially on points that the devs claimed were impossible, but Fallen Earth failed at the end of the day, so maybe it's best to just leave the ES experience to single-player where it belongs.

This discussion has been closed.