Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I fear that group content will be hell or bland

The game lends itself to idiots making characters that are neither one thing nor another and will excel at nothing.

The holy trinity works well and pugs have a reasonable chance of containing players that at least know the basics of Tank, DPS and Heal roles.

In ESO players will experiment with silly specs, and when it comes to grouping, for the majority of players who are not going to be playing with friends, there is going to be an almighty mess with people not be able to fulfil roles sufficiently becasue of their silly specs that think are "sick".

Ah but the game has designed with that in mind so mobs behave differently I hear you say.    

Well maybe but probably not.

a/ if no strategy is required because by and large all mobs are going to attack so it is a case of kill what you can.

Mobs will necessarily have to be easier to defeat without strategy because it wont be the stupid specs players choose that will get the blame it will be the game. That pressure will lead to dumbing down or empty dungeons.  Play how you want .. remember.

b/ if a strategy is required the game will suffer because with so many varieties of attack and defence, pugs in dungeons are going to be a huge waste of time for most players.  More than usual.  

Players wont know how to play the odd spec they have created and other players in the team are not going to know how to get group synergy going because they cant possibly guess what crazy spec the rest of the team are using.  

It is also not much fun because you know even less about what moves other players are pulling off and when during a fight.. thus reducing your interest and enjoyment in the team effort.

c/Do we get stats on players performance ?   If not how do I know what you contributed to the group effort ?  

In PVP.  Zerg PVP hides a lot of sins.  A lot of poor specs so that wont suffer from this aspect.

Organised guilds will have a better handle on managing players specs but it still wont be adequate.  

It is hard enough running a guild without trying to second guess how effective a team member is going to be with his crazy spec ..until it is too late and you wasted a load of other peoples time and opportunity finding out.

Comments

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    I like experimenting with silly builds, I miss games that let you do that. Rift sort of did I guess but in the end you were forced into a few optimal builds. Hopefully there is more legitimate variety in ESO.
  • LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315

Organised guilds will have a better handle on managing players specs but it still wont be adequate.

Seriously hope not i hate that in any game oh your a mage well you have to spec destro staff and have these 5 skills or we wont

team with you.

I hope to see mage tanks, if the player can play his build only his imagination sets the limit

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Yeah we all love "you need to specc this way or gtfo of our group" mentality.image

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475
    Originally posted by Lokberg

Seriously hope not i hate that in any game oh your a mage well you have to spec destro staff and have these 5 skills or we wont

team with you.

I hope to see mage tanks, if the player can play his build only his imagination sets the limit

You never HAD to.  You always had the choice to build a guild around you and your preferences.

You could play whatever spec you like solo or in groups you organised and led.

How do you create challenging group content and at the same time allow for people to experiment with builds and yet be effective in that group content.

Either spell x is the same as spell y in almost every aspect except its name and animation in which case why bother unless you are more interested in looks than substance ?

• neroistneroist Member Posts: 24

Dungeon and Dragons Online was a MMO that you could mulitclass 3 times. You also had to pick from a large number of feats every few levels. Had 6 different attribute scores. And 5 class enhancements points of each levels you choose.  DDO had an unbelievable plethora of builds. Builds that don't work, do not work. 98% of the quests in DDO was group content.  There was no problem as a build that wasn't good someone went back and made a different one. That was part of the fun of the game.

I welcome ESO with such an open system for building different characters.

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I think the "grouping" in this game is much more akin to doing public quests in other games.  Not very structured and ultimately unsatisfying. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Giffen
    I think the "grouping" in this game is much more akin to doing public quests in other games.  Not very structured and ultimately unsatisfying. 

The RVR will tell the difference, if some people manage to be quite successful with certain builds, FOTM and min-maxing will be in vogue, and the elitism that goes with it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538
    If you don't like a guild that supports playing at maximum potential don't join such a guild, but don't cry either when you don't see the results that they do. Have your fun in the way you want to have it and don't worry about what other people are doing but don't ruin other peoples fun because your fun builds don't allow for all content to be cleared. If a game isn't difficult it isn't fun.
  • DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475

Yes.

Do you have any stuff to support that ?  

Footage impresssions from play by others ?

I saw some QuakeCon 2013 footage which wasnt exactly inspiring or encouraging.   The grouping content is about 10 minutes in.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWXjzLEGV9U

Check out those health bars.    

Doesnt look like much of a challenge to me.  

Gnomeregan from WOW was a lot harder to play than that before you even got into the instance.

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    There are so many skill points available if you go through the trouble of finding all the skyshards. I sincerely doubt this will be a problem at endgame. Though I suppose it would be fairly easy to gimp yourself while leveling.
  • Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538
    Originally posted by Kyleran

The RVR will tell the difference, if some people manage to be quite successful with certain builds, FOTM and min-maxing will be in vogue, and the elitism that goes with it.

And if this doesn't happen then playing well will be in vogue and the elitism that goes with it. Don't want that attitude don't compete, at anything. 

*not aimed directly at kyle.

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Kyleran

RvR won't matter for builds. You'll need a range weapon and siege weapons.

What good is a build when you get crushed by a couple big rocks?