Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP in EOS

spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

I did join today the first time pvp and all I can say is the following without talking about content:

FREAKING AWESOME - EPIC Battles with siege weapons

Comments

• zefalconzefalcon Member Posts: 11

it's daoc pvp, its a direct copy :) scout missions, capture missions, player kills, relics/scrolls, keep capture its no different, and i love it :)

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    GW2 is a joke against this =)
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Im trying to figure out how a PVEer gets into PVP and slowly works there way into it to improve without feeling like an idiot lol. You read the chat box with any PVP game and it just feels so much more hostile than the PVE chat box. 

-"No idiots go to that keep"

-"Why should I listen to leaders if the leaders aren't doing jack S%$T."

etc.

I really hope they have a way to let people who want to try not feel like between the rants and the overwhelming nature of PVP in general in a huge zone, that there is a way to break people in. Maybe PVPers will feel like the only way to do that is to jump right into the fire and die and learn. Thats intimidating to a lot of PVErs I think. I always felt more comfortable in scenarios which were tightly controlled and easier to dive into without feeling overwhelmed.

Any suggestions? lol

There Is Always Hope!

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

-slow nod- People are finally hitting 10 that haven''t before and seeing the strong point.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    @Keithian, I'm on the same boat.

@OP, agree... first time that I want to really get into PvP.
  • ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I agree with you OP, but to be honest i'm waiting in the Queue right now.
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

-slow nod- People are finally hitting 10 that haven''t before and seeing the strong point.

The more I see from the game I cant follow many of the reviews I read or watch on youtube. Certain points maybe but overall the game is great.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Its daoc R vR but they forgot one important imgredient.....

realmpoints

trough PvP in DAoC there was a system to continously keep gaining realmpoints and in the first 3 years noboddy got to max.... Continous progression of a character, no matter how small is important for individual players..

it wasnt there at release, but after a few months when players started leaving because the lack of progression yhey added the system and it worked.... It kept people playing...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422
    Originally posted by keithian

Im trying to figure out how a PVEer gets into PVP and slowly works there way into it to improve without feeling like an idiot lol. You read the chat box with any PVP game and it just feels so much more hostile than the PVE chat box. 

-"No idiots go to that keep"

-"Why should I listen to leaders if the leaders aren't doing jack S%$T."

etc.

I really hope they have a way to let people who want to try not feel like between the rants and the overwhelming nature of PVP in general in a huge zone, that there is a way to break people in. Maybe PVPers will feel like the only way to do that is to jump right into the fire and die and learn. Thats intimidating to a lot of PVErs I think. I always felt more comfortable in scenarios which were tightly controlled and easier to dive into without feeling overwhelmed.

Any suggestions? lol

I would say cautiously. You dont have to go zerging around straight away. Learn the basics then do some PVE in areas surrounded by friendly keeps. You can find settlements such as Weynon Prioiry that will give you a quest possibly or loot the buildings. But you have to be alert since at any time a enemy player might have the same idea and be in the house with you. After a few small scale engagements you can always move to a larger battle.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

realmpoints

trough PvP in DAoC there was a system to continously keep gaining realmpoints and in the first 3 years noboddy got to max.... Continous progression of a character, no matter how small is important for individual players..

it wasnt there at release, but after a few months when players started leaving because the lack of progression yhey added the system and it worked.... It kept people playing...

Which makes it more like GW2, not DAoC. 

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• knapuknapu Member Posts: 131
    For ps4 nice game not for pc in my opinion since it has so little skills options that nothing can make it up in my opiniinon and on top of it the freakin quests again nope i pass played to many mmos not gonna start same thing with nice graphics and less skills so i can waste my time .

I am the punishment of God...
    If you had not committed great sins,
    God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you
    — Genghis Khan

Originally posted by boxsnd

realmpoints

Like I said, GW2 is a joke. This game belongs not to GW2, Rift, Tera and SwtoR type of games....I think it will be more successfull. Its the first beta since years I really enjoy and actually the pvp did change my view about this game drastically into a way more positive direction. It is maybe not what people expect, especially if they think it is like 1:1  Skyrim but overall the game is definately good. At least what I saw in only ten levels inclusive mass pvp.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

Awesome what I played of it as well.

Really enjoyable.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by spizz

realmpoints

Like I said, GW2 is a joke. This game belongs not to GW2, Rift, Tera and SwtoR type of games....I think it will be more successfull. Its the first beta since years I really enjoy and actually the pvp did change my view about this game drastically into a way more positive direction.

I think the PvP setup in AvA is far more similar to GW2 than DAoC. Obviously that's not going to convince you of anything though. :P

realmpoints

No, not even close...  In Gw2 i stuck with battlegrounds PvP... Because the rvr pvp never felt right to me in the first place... Must have been how the areas where build and the spelleffects cluttering my whole screen....  For some reason this game comes very close to what i loved from the mechanics of RvR in DAoC...

and i am sure the team will realise soon enough that they need to add a system of endgame character progression...  The PvP trees are not really enough to keep people entertained...  I am pretty sure they will add something sattisfying when the time is right post release

in the long run, i also hope they add some small group PvP instanced content....  In general those work great as a quick diversion from PvE... Just a quick game or two...  Maybe in an adventure setting ...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I honestly felt it was the same as GW2... find where everybody is, zerg a door.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

realmpoints

Like I said, GW2 is a joke. This game belongs not to GW2, Rift, Tera and SwtoR type of games....I think it will be more successfull. Its the first beta since years I really enjoy and actually the pvp did change my view about this game drastically into a way more positive direction. It is maybe not what people expect, especially if they think it is like Skyrim but overall the game is definately good. At least what I saw in only ten levels inclusive mass pvp.

So why exactly is this better than GW2? When I tried PvPing all people did is mindless zerging, just like they did in GW2. At least GW2 nad a decent combat system.

Originally posted by BeansnBread

realmpoints

Like I said, GW2 is a joke. This game belongs not to GW2, Rift, Tera and SwtoR type of games....I think it will be more successfull. Its the first beta since years I really enjoy and actually the pvp did change my view about this game drastically into a way more positive direction.

I think the PvP setup in AvA is far more similar to GW2 than DAoC. Obviously that's not going to convince you of anything though. :P

Actually, when I did enter the pvp area my first thought was Guild Wars 2.  It did remind me quiete a bit of it.

But after I expirience not only small battles with just a handfull of people, but a bigger battle with maybe 100 players and 10-20 siege weapons I thought this is x better than GW2.  It was just great and it did feel exciting.

This is just the first impression......

realmpoints

Actually, when I did enter the pvp area my first thought was Guild Wars 2.  It did remind me quiete a bit of it.

But after I expirience not only small battles with just a handfull of people, but a bigger battle with maybe 100 players and 10-20 siege weapons I thought this is 1000x better than GW2.  It was just great.

I've played it in multiple beta weekends. You haven't seen well over 100 people in the same battle with 10-20 siege weapons in GW2?

realmpoints

Like I said, GW2 is a joke. This game belongs not to GW2, Rift, Tera and SwtoR type of games....I think it will be more successfull. Its the first beta since years I really enjoy and actually the pvp did change my view about this game drastically into a way more positive direction. It is maybe not what people expect, especially if they think it is like Skyrim but overall the game is definately good. At least what I saw in only ten levels inclusive mass pvp.

So why exactly is this better than GW2? When I tried PvPing all people did is mindless zerging, just like they did in GW2. At least GW2 nad a decent combat system.

While Gw2 had a fun combat system, it turned intoo a rotation to fast,,,  in the end the resources system of ESO. Might  work much better.... It surely made the game shine in Pvp... Where a few battles showed me  the greatness of the system...  

Yes Gw2 combat was fun in smallscale PvP... It never worked that well in largescale battles for me..

realmpoints

No, not even close...  In Gw2 i stuck with battlegrounds PvP... Because the rvr pvp never felt right to me in the first place... Must have been how the areas where build and the spelleffects cluttering my whole screen....  For some reason this game comes very close to what i loved from the mechanics of RvR in DAoC...

and i am sure the team will realise soon enough that they need to add a system of endgame character progression...  The PvP trees are not really enough to keep people entertained...  I am pretty sure they will add something sattisfying when the time is right post release

in the long run, i also hope they add some small group PvP instanced content....  In general those work great as a quick diversion from PvE... Just a quick game or two...  Maybe in an adventure setting ...

So why exactly did it feel right? The combat system is nothing like DAoC, CC is nothing like DAoC, leveling is nothing like DAoC, it has no meaningful PvP progresssion. To me it sounds nothing like DAoC. Please explain.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by keithian

Any suggestions? lol

DAoC coordinated fights using Guild chat and, more importantly, Alliance chat for strategy and then raid and group chat for tactics.

Alliances there were a group of guilds. On my server there were usually 2 or 3 different alliances and the leaders of those also coordinated for big fights. Alliance chat had different permissions for talk or just listen and the talk part was kept limited...in the good alliances anyway. It worked well.

Global chat was full of bickering there too...it's the internet after all. image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Cures80Cures80 Member UncommonPosts: 29

there IS pvp progression. there are veteran Points, ranks, currency.  you can become the fukin emperor. realm boni, etc etc.

its, as many (all that played) say: daoc2. and its gooood.

realmpoints

But after I expirience not only small battles with just a handfull of people, but a bigger battle with maybe 100 players and 10-20 siege weapons I thought this is 1000x better than GW2.  It was just great.

I've played it in multiple beta weekends. You haven't seen well over 100 people in the same battle with 10-20 siege weapons in GW2?

No, I have not seen siege weapon battles with stationary and none stationary small and big siege weapons which actually do play a bigger role. What I have seen in GW2 was a huge group following a leader like lemmings and capturing facilities in a very short time. It was actually boring. But overal I personally dont like GW2, not the pvp and not the game world. GW2 was for me a big disappointment.

No, I have not seen siege weapon battles with stationary and none stationary small and big siege weapons. What I have seen in GW2 was a huge group following a leader like lemmings and capturing facilities in a very short time. It was actually boring.

Oh, you must not have played it very much then. Because what you describe about ESO PvP happens all the time in GW2.