Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenimax not intrested in VR

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• xerrixerri Member Posts: 30
    No great Lose Really, let someone else take the "risk? to add it to there gaming  It will be on console  way before  PC though

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by xerri
    No great Lose Really, let someone else take the "risk? to add it to there gaming  It will be on console  way before  PC though

reminds me of when I was in Blockbuster back in the 90s when DVD's where just starting out and they told me 'we dont have DVDs because they scratch'

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

VR will not be on console before PC ... 

That really makes no sense since consoles currently can't even handle it properly. It requires very high FPS, at a constant rate of 60. It doesn't work so well when it goes below that.

As for the risk? No risk at all is required. You can add VR capable features in a game, and it wouldn't effect the game at all. It would just add more options.

Originally posted by Brabbit1987

That really makes no sense since consoles currently can't even handle it properly. It requires very high FPS, at a constant rate of 60. It doesn't work so well when it goes below that.

As for the risk? No risk at all is required. You can add VR capable features in a game, and it wouldn't effect the game at all. It would just add more options.

I cant find the article but just the other day and interview with CCP was intinteresting. They said 'hold on we never said it was going to be released for PC there are other options'

Not sure if they are trolling but the only other option would be a Steam Machine which isnt 'exclusive' anyway.

That said, your right. I have an Oculus Dev kit and because the eye is so close to the screen 720p really is an issue, the screen door effect is very noticeable.

So yeah its not going to work for Xbox or PS4

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I cant find the article but just the other day and interview with CCP was intinteresting. They said 'hold on we never said it was going to be released for PC there are other options'

Not sure if they are trolling but the only other option would be a Steam Machine which isnt 'exclusive' anyway.

That said, your right. I have an Oculus Dev kit and because the eye is so close to the screen 720p really is an issue, the screen door effect is very noticeable.

Given that the Xbox struggles to even maintain 30fps at the resolutions it can handle, i would be extremely surprised if it managed to handle a device like the OR, whether it will ever appear on the PS4 is also debateable, but its definitely going to be on PC, the question is price point. but yeah, 720p is not a good resolution.. 1080 is probably going to be the only acceptable minimum for the next few years. Not sure about the 'steam machine' it has possibilities but it needs developers to embrace Linux a bit more image

Originally posted by Phry

Given that the Xbox struggles to even maintain 30fps at the resolutions it can handle, i would be extremely surprised if it managed to handle a device like the OR, whether it will ever appear on the PS4 is also debateable, but its definitely going to be on PC, the question is price point. but yeah, 720p is not a good resolution.. 1080 is probably going to be the only acceptable minimum for the next few years. Not sure about the 'steam machine' it has possibilities but it needs developers to embrace Linux a bit more image

all true.

The Linux thing becomes the whole chicken and the egg situation. The largest roadblock as been device manufacturers not working well with the open source community. The day of the Steam Machine announcement however Nvidia said they plan to work better with linux 

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276

OR will be in EQ Next.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    If you want to justify VR glasses, you need to build your whole game around that..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    If you want to justify VR glasses, you need to build your whole game around that..

That is what Carmack wanted to do with one of his older titles that Zenimax owns and they said no.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Hopefully VR or Occulus Rift is a passing fad.  It's much to cumbersome and funky for my tastes and the day it becomes a required peripheral is the day I get out of gaming completely and go back to kitchen table RPG's.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

That is what Carmack wanted to do with one of his older titles that Zenimax owns and they said no.

Corporations mostly will not fund anything risky. VR games don't sell well.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

Originally posted by JJ82

1. there are no 'VR games' at the moment

2. VR of 2014 is a zero risk situation. If I could find a public company that is investing in this I would pour money into it.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by JJ82

1. there are no 'VR games' at the moment

2. VR of 2014 is a zero risk situation. If I could find a public company that is investing in this I would pour money into it.

1. Yes, yes there are. The Nintendo VR was made in 2010. And those were no where near the first VR games.

2. So would I. Doesn't change what I said about corporations.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Hopefully VR or Occulus Rift is a passing fad.  It's much to cumbersome and funky for my tastes and the day it becomes a required peripheral is the day I get out of gaming completely and go back to kitchen table RPG's.

I don't know why you would think it would be a passing fad. I doubt it would ever become a required device, but I don't see why it wouldn't become popular.

If you even tried the Oculus Rift, you wouldn't be saying that. I mean, no disrespect, but you really are not thinking about the larger picture here.

What exactly could you have against the idea of virtual reality? Do you hate immersion? o.o Do you hate the idea of actually feeling like you are there in the game?

It's actually pretty funny this was brought up since I have been having the same discussion here down in the comments section. You can't reply unless you are part of the game industry though. So sorry if you can't join in XD.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-06-oculus-vr-will-be-one-of-the-most-important-technologies-in-the-history-of-mankind

I have no idea what they could have meant by that. There really isn't many options for them other then PC lol. Actually it be rather stupid to not have it on PC if you ask me. It's not like steam machines are currently a thing. They are just getting started and it will probably be a while before the gears really start turning.

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134
    I am not interested on any of that stuff either.
    Originally posted by Ghern

your not interested in virtual reality?

yeah then I say run as far away from it as possible and never look back.

see you laterz

I don't get it. Why?

The only excuse I have ever heard someone come up with is because they feel it's gimmicky and they don't like that you have to wear something on their head.

Which mind you, these people who have this excuse, generally have never tried it, and have no clue what the technology is all about or what it means. In other words, these people usually can't grasp the idea, and the only way they ever will get it, is to simply try an Oculus Rift.

I don't get it. Why?

The only excuse I have ever heard someone come up with is because they feel it's gimmicky and they don't like that you have to wear something on their head.

Which mind you, these people who have this excuse, generally have never tried it, and have no clue what the technology is all about or what it means. In other words, these people usually can't grasp the idea, and the only way they ever will get it, is to simply try an Oculus Rift.

I think people who are not at least a little curious about VR are never..and I mean...never...going to be intrested.

The two camps will never understand each other.

I for one am ready!

I don't get it. Why?

I think people who are not at least a little curious about VR are never..and I mean...never...going to be intrested.

I for one am ready!

Well I for one, joined the video game industry in hope to work on VR. The fact that Oculus Rift popped up made me really happy to be part of the game industry.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    I never felt compelled to strap an ipad to my face and game. Maybe when they perfect it in 5 years or so I might check it out but right now it is still a baby industry with nothing really supporting it except the niche fans around it.

I don't get it. Why?

I for one am ready!

Well I for one, joined the video game industry in hope to work on VR. The fact that Oculus Rift popped up made me really happy to be part of the game industry.

I actually have an Oculus Dev kit and its pretty impressive.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I don't get it. Why?

I'll admit I have not gotten a chance to try the Oculus Rift device but I have tried a lot of the other ones and they have all been gimmicky as you put it up to this point.  I have not seen one yet that has worked right and had any significant support from game developers.  I would love for Oculus Rift to be the device that does VR right but at this point since we don't have a commercially viable product yet only dev kits it's premature to make that call.

Originally posted by udon

I don't get it. Why?

I'll admit I have not gotten a chance to try the Oculus Rift device but I have tried a lot of the other ones and they have all been gimmicky as you put it up to this point.  I have not seen one yet that has worked right and had any significant support from game developers.  I would love for Oculus Rift to be the device that does VR right but at this point since we don't have a commercially viable product yet only dev kits it's premature to make that call.

1. which 'other ones' specifically are you refering to?

2. understand us 'Oculus' fans are not fans of Oculus specifically. Most of us do not care what VR device hits the market. What we do know from looking into things is that is 100% real and its going to rock the market.

3. I have the dev kit and it works as advertised. Crystal cove takes it a step further, add in Razer controllers and you almost have full motion of your entire body.

• mothefomothefo Member Posts: 30

Until you actually try Skyrim with the Oculus Rift you cannot understand how amazing the Rift can be. the feeling of being inside the game and the 3d effects are insane.

yes, the Rift does still have problems, hence why it hasn't been released, but the experience it's like nothing else i've ever tried, (and yes i have seen Avatar in 3D many times). This is completely different. you are actually in the game. Again, it's like trying to explain what is like to have sex to a virgin. 

the first thing i did when i got a ESO beta key was to try it with the Oculus Rift. unfortunately it is not supported so it didn't work. i was disappointed, but i kind of figured it wouldn't work. lame.

still, to this date, the most immersive experience i have had in my whole video game life it's playing skyrim with the Oculus Rift. 

try it before you knock it, you wont be sorry.