Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Who's buying after trying out the beta?

Comments

• boxsndboxsnd Kraxton, ARPosts: 438Member Common
    I'm gonna decide a few months after launch. If the the subscriber numbers keep increasing I will consider buying it. If they keep decreasing it means the game isn't worth it.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• BluewhitehellBluewhitehell LondonPosts: 66Member
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by keithian

1. SWTOR received as much if not more hate near the end of its beta. I followed that game closely and it actually received more positive reactions around this time and even from reviewers at release. Then everyone claimed that all of the reviewers were paid by EA and there were a lot of injured forum goers when Mike B on this site gave it a good review. Though in the end that game didn't come close to expectations  (mine and a lot of others) with regard to Sub numbers, its still hanging around doing just fine and is a solid game for those who like the linear single player story focus of that game. I was disappointed I had no desire to get to end level and stopped in the mid 40s.

2. How good the combat is comes down to the individuals personal experience with previous games. To me its really bad because I have played games like AoC, Tera, Vindictus, hell even GW2 has far better combat and I only could stand playing that game for a few months. To me the combat feels very Elder Scrollish. I never had an issue with it in the single players games, but I also don't mind tab targeting. I'm just flexible I guess. I liked GW2 combat as well to some degree, but I didn't think it was any better...because that game lacked skill progression after the first 20 levels and like you I got bored. Totally agree with you (which is a first) that is down to personal experience.

3. The above is why I gave an audible chuckle when reading your statement that all MMOs fall into the predictable wade up to an enemy comment, because its just plain wrong, you have limited yourself to MMOs with bland combat. I've played WOW, EQ2, AOC, Rift, Aion, Allods online, Vanguard, LOTRO, GW2, SWTOR, Rift, Warhammer, Star Trek, Final Fantasy, probably others and I have yet to see any MMO where I was like "WOW, the enemy AI is so much better than other games". SWTOR developers promised that and I think they didn't come close to what was promised specifically for enemy AI.

4. Talk to me about the lack of collision being not that bad after having PvPed...........its jaw droppingly stupid to not have it in a game built around end game PvP. Though I understand the reasons for lack of collision, I actually agree with you on this for just about all MMOs for both PVE and PVP, It just feels more immersive to me, but thats just my opinion. Most games for the last 10 years have the same issue.

3. Well as I said, you obviously didn't play Tera, Vindictus and Age of Conan, games that had amazing combat. So, it makes sense that this standard non-innovative old style dried up MMO is for you.

That is your personal opinion. I've played both Tera and TESO beta, I liked TESO battle system more than Tera. TESO feels like a hybrid of traditional MMORPG battle system and TES battle system, Tera feels like a shooting game. TESO combat pace is faster and more enjoyable than FFXIV,  on the same time it doesn't feel like shooting game like Tera, to me it feel just right.

• ValheraValhera Montreal, QCPosts: 19Member

I wasn't sure after my first weekend but I was able to do more PvP during this second one and it convinced me to buy it. I really enjoy my experience so far, mostly the PvP side of the game. PvE is pretty average.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Ontario, CanadaPosts: 729Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Bluewhitehell
    Originally posted by keithian

1. SWTOR received as much if not more hate near the end of its beta. I followed that game closely and it actually received more positive reactions around this time and even from reviewers at release. Then everyone claimed that all of the reviewers were paid by EA and there were a lot of injured forum goers when Mike B on this site gave it a good review. Though in the end that game didn't come close to expectations  (mine and a lot of others) with regard to Sub numbers, its still hanging around doing just fine and is a solid game for those who like the linear single player story focus of that game. I was disappointed I had no desire to get to end level and stopped in the mid 40s.

2. How good the combat is comes down to the individuals personal experience with previous games. To me its really bad because I have played games like AoC, Tera, Vindictus, hell even GW2 has far better combat and I only could stand playing that game for a few months. To me the combat feels very Elder Scrollish. I never had an issue with it in the single players games, but I also don't mind tab targeting. I'm just flexible I guess. I liked GW2 combat as well to some degree, but I didn't think it was any better...because that game lacked skill progression after the first 20 levels and like you I got bored. Totally agree with you (which is a first) that is down to personal experience.

3. The above is why I gave an audible chuckle when reading your statement that all MMOs fall into the predictable wade up to an enemy comment, because its just plain wrong, you have limited yourself to MMOs with bland combat. I've played WOW, EQ2, AOC, Rift, Aion, Allods online, Vanguard, LOTRO, GW2, SWTOR, Rift, Warhammer, Star Trek, Final Fantasy, probably others and I have yet to see any MMO where I was like "WOW, the enemy AI is so much better than other games". SWTOR developers promised that and I think they didn't come close to what was promised specifically for enemy AI.

4. Talk to me about the lack of collision being not that bad after having PvPed...........its jaw droppingly stupid to not have it in a game built around end game PvP. Though I understand the reasons for lack of collision, I actually agree with you on this for just about all MMOs for both PVE and PVP, It just feels more immersive to me, but thats just my opinion. Most games for the last 10 years have the same issue.

3. Well as I said, you obviously didn't play Tera, Vindictus and Age of Conan, games that had amazing combat. So, it makes sense that this standard non-innovative old style dried up MMO is for you.

That is your personal opinion. I've played both Tera and TESO beta, I liked TESO battle system more than Tera. TESO feels like a hybrid of traditional MMORPG battle system and TES battle system, Tera feels like a shooting game. TESO combat pace is faster and more enjoyable than FFXIV,  on the same time it doesn't feel like shooting game like Tera, to me it feel just right.

Tera is nothing like a shooting game unless you play a class such as an archer. Sounds to me like you really didn't play it all to long.

I purchased Tera, and one thing I can say with 100% certainty is that the combat is the best I have seen in an mmo? The rest of the game is total garbage though. Which is sad, because it could have been a great game if that wasn't the case.

• GhernGhern Shingle Springs, CAPosts: 134Member Uncommon

After playing in the beta this weekend I probably will not be buying.

I did not hate the game. It just struck me as average and for an average game I cannot justify the box price and monthly sub.

I have not pvp'ed so if that aspect is amazing it could change my mind. Unfortunately I have to go to work tomorrow so I am going to have to rely on reviews about pvp to help with that decision.

Best case scenario I get in another beta down the road and try pvp for myself.

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 bucharestPosts: 250Member

I will not be buying it... its not that bad but its... average. I hoped it can be better than SWTOR but its not, maybe in 1-2 years i will try it after they add upgrades and such.

• Ender4Ender4 milwaukee, WIPosts: 2,253Member

Originally posted by alexhpy98721
    I will not be buying it... its not that bad but its... average. I hoped it can be better than SWTOR but its not, maybe in 1-2 years i will try it after they add upgrades and such.

Being better than SWTOR is a completely sad low bar to expect since SWTOR was one of the worst MMORPG to ever be released.

• ZunaahZunaah Harrisonburg, VAPosts: 37Member

I think they hit a good middle ground for the single player feel of the elder scrolls games with a MMO mix. The graphics are really nice (yes armor could use some help), but to expect the graphic detail from Skyrim would be ridiculous. Do some things need more polish? Yep. Is it the game that will win the hearts of everyone? Nope.

I've been in 3 betas so far and they won over a customer. I'll definitely be purchasing.

• MyownGodMyownGod SydneyPosts: 205Member
    After playing this beta for roughly 4 hours, I must say I rather like the combat, however the game content so far..It feels empty, however it is still beta, I am stuck whether or not I should buy it, plus after I experienced the beta, I feel the game is not worth 80$ + subs 15$ (I don't mind the subs, just the game price it self feels like its over priced just because its a famous title). I am stuck at 70% not getting it, 30% getting it.
  • skyline385skyline385 BangalorePosts: 564Member
    Originally posted by MyownGod
    After playing this beta for roughly 4 hours, I must say I rather like the combat, however the game content so far..It feels empty, however it is still beta, I am stuck whether or not I should buy it, plus after I experienced the beta, I feel the game is not worth 80$ + subs 15$ (I don't mind the subs, just the game price it self feels like its over priced just because its a famous title). I am stuck at 70% not getting it, 30% getting it.

You can get it for $45-48 (SE) and $60-64 (CE) easily. There are tons of 20-25% discount coupons flying around. I got it for $48 off GMG with 20% off, a good price imo.

• clankyaspclankyasp sydneyPosts: 213Member

Not buying.

Had to open 10 doors=10 loading screens=10 instances to fight 1 enemy in each of those instances.....

• SlytheSlythe Corona, CAPosts: 952Member

I am not buying this one. Which is weird, considering I've played Elder Scrolls games since I was a young kid and saw Daggerfall, thought it looked fun on the back of the box (remember the huge game boxes, back in the day?) and bought it...well, asked my parent's to buy it for me.

I'll stick to single-player ES games, tyvm.

• himodshimods fuckyouPosts: 54Member

I never had intentions of buying this game, IMO it was an insult to TES and just another shitty MMOpark. But since it was free I gave it a shot anyway.

After 3-4 hours I was bored out of my mind. 

Zenimax, I'm sueing you for wasting my time like that.

• GrayImpactGrayImpact NetherlandsPosts: 983Member Uncommon

After playing ESO I'd really rather play oblivion or skyrim.

ESO felt like a cheap ripoff of the previous ES games to me personally.

I might try again if it ever goes free, but i don't think It's something I'm willing to pay for, especially not a subscription.

• GadarethGadareth Westcliff-on-SeaPosts: 313Member

Already pre-ordered the CE version and expect to be playing it for a while when it comes out. Only thing that could make me drop it would be if it went F2P as I hate the nickel and dime charge affect of a f2p model game.

• yaminsuxyaminsux KajangPosts: 810Member Uncommon
    Lots of NDA breakers here...lol.
  • HarafnirHarafnir VikingvillePosts: 1,324Member Uncommon
    Played this weekend, bought it today. It is not perfect, it has room to grow. But it is a good ES conversion and have some amazing crafting potential. I am sure I will have fun with it for a few months.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• ghorgosghorgos NirgendwoPosts: 190Member Uncommon
    not buying, the game has too many issues for me
  • kotzkotz lulPosts: 100Member

Im a Starwars fan and bought Swtor. I regret that =/

Im not a elder scrolls fan....... If i was id prolly buy it... And regret it after a while =)

Swtor and ESO are both linear games... Gets boring pretty fast!

ESO is not that good. Nothing new to it.. It will just be a big seller for the fans like Swtor.

Zoom out and take a look at the big picture.. Seiously? is any different from the other mmos? other than a new sorie?  Perhaps its just the stories people are after?  For fans it is i guess.. But thats feels kind of shallow? doesnt it?

• winghaven1winghaven1 HafnarfjörðurPosts: 105Member Uncommon
    I wasn't planning on pre-ordering it and thought I would play another game instead. However, when I received a beta key in my mail I simply went why the hell not and tested out the beta. Needless to say, I pre-ordered it today. I think this is going to be on hella of a game. No doubt!
    Originally posted by kotz

Zoom out and take a look at the big picture.. Seiously? is any different from the other mmos? other than a new sorie?  Perhaps its just the stories people are after?  For fans it is i guess.. But thats feels kind of shallow? doesnt it?

1. 3 factions, battling each other.
    2. TES lore and setting.
    3. Action-based combat.
    4. No linear class system. You decide and choose how you want to play.
    5. Blocking, dodging, sprinting.
    6. In-depth and highly valued crafting system. Meaning crafting items aren't useless in comparison to many MMOS.
    7. First-person + third-person.
    8. Aiming system (Not fully. But you need to aim your weapon in order to hit. Instead of mashing stupid buttons.)
    9. Oh and the exploration rewards you (Example: Skyshards, finding new quests and books that give important information- and even can increase your skill level in one of your professions/combat skills)

So...

• ParaTrooperParaTrooper BrisbanePosts: 1,961Member

This would be my first post on here in a loooong long time. 

Sad to say that from what I have played of the beta so far I will not be purchasing the game. I've played every game in the Elder Scrolls series and this seems like a step backwards. Not back just one step but several. I almost feel like it is Daggerfall quality again. Everything just seemed well below par and when you're the next game in a series after Skyrim you need to keep moving forward yet this just doesn't do it.

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
    -----------------------------------------
    ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Toronto, ONPosts: 192Member
    Absolutely no chance I will buy this game.

Killing dragons is my shit

• kotzkotz lulPosts: 100Member
    Originally posted by winghaven1

2. TES lore and setting.
    3. Action-based combat.
    6. In-depth and highly valued crafting system. Meaning crafting items aren't useless in comparison to many MMOS.
    8. Aiming system (Not fully. But you need to aim your weapon in order to hit. Instead of mashing stupid buttons.)
    9. Oh and the exploration rewards you (Example: Skyshards, finding new quests and books that give important information- and even can increase your skill level in one of your professions/combat skills)

So...

1 to 9 is in all mmos. Well most of them.... So they all say =)  But if you really dig into it you will see :p

Gl and have fun =)

Originally posted by winghaven1

2. TES lore and setting.
    3. Action-based combat.

So...

1 to 9 is in all mmos. Well most of them.... So they all say =)  But if you really dig into it you will see :p

Gl and have fun =)

Not sure if troll.. Or serious.

In any case. I will have fun :)