Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now is the time for NCSoft

Void425Void425 Member UncommonPosts: 170

TESO was the biggest New Threat to Wildstar's Release.  TESO is getting totally slammed by all the media for its problems.

I think now is the perfect time for NCSoft to announce a  Release Date and start taking  Pre-Orders for Wildstar.  The people who are disappointed with TESO are hungry for a new game right now and I am sure most of them would be willing to Pre-Order Wildstar right now if it was available directly from NCSoft.

Comments

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Wildstar is going to be a great game.  I plan on playing it.  But don't get too sold on what the media is saying about The Elder Scrolls.  

TESO's problem is not that it is a bad game.  Its problem is that it is competing directly against its own IP.  When these gamer sites review the game, they are comparing it directly to the single player franchise.  And, the fact is, there are many things in the single player series that simply aren't possible in an MMO.  But that doesn't make it a bad game, or even a mediocre game.   Judged as the next game in the Elder Scrolls series, it falls short.  Judged on its own as an MMO against the other MMOs currently on the market, it holds its own very well. 

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Wildstar is going to be a great game.  I plan on playing it.  But don't get too sold on what the media is saying about The Elder Scrolls.  

TESO's problem is not that it is a bad game.  Its problem is that it is competing directly against its own IP.  When these gamer sites review the game, they are comparing it directly to the single player franchise.  And, the fact is, there are many things in the single player series that simply aren't possible in an MMO.  But that doesn't make it a bad game, or even a mediocre game.   Judged as the next game in the Elder Scrolls series, it falls short.  Judged on its own as an MMO against the other MMOs currently on the market, it holds its own very well. 

Well said about the reviews of TESO, actually it combines many features of current MMO's which makes it very refreshing to play.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

My general impression is that the media is not slamming ESO but is in fact slightly positive/lukewarn about what they've seen so far.

Now if Carbine studios think they can impress the media a lot more than ESO has in Wildstar's current state so far,then I agree they should let the press play a preview build and have at it.

Otherwise they are better off ignoring the ESO press and waiting till they think their game is in a showable state.

• Void425Void425 Member UncommonPosts: 170

I was in the Beta for TESO.  I would say TESO is a Good game, but it does not hold any better then that.  Most of the reviews are right on when they describe it.  

I do have to give them credits for making the game look Outstanding for an MMO, but it can not come close to there Single Player titles because it is an MMO.  There quest system is different,  but I did feel the monotony of doing the same type of thing over and over  This is the first MMO that I actually got bored of playing in the first 15 hours into the game.  TESO game mechanics feel outdated compared to most of top MMO titles right now and they have some that just should not be in there anymore.

But back to the OP I still think Now is the time for NCSoft to announce a Release Date and take Pre-Orders, what about you?

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

Judging from what I've seen of successful competitive releases, one pattern that seems to work well is timing so that release is 3 to 4 months after a competitor, but long before the next competing release is expected.

I think this results in catching the exodus wave of people off the first release who are then looking for the next "new" game after being disappointed.

Given that TESO release date is known, I think it possible that WS management could establish if their game will be release ready by a proposed strategic release date and make that date known.  However, I'm skeptical if this is an appropriate time to announce.  There is so much TESO news and buzz (positive or otherwise) that a WS announcement might be overshadowed, lost in all the noise.

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Now if Carbine studios think they can impress the media a lot more than ESO has in Wildstar's current state so far,then I agree they should let the press play a preview build and have at it.

Otherwise they are better off ignoring the ESO press and waiting till they think their game is in a showable state.

I can't tell if I'm reading this wrong or not, but the "media" has been playing Wildstar for months and continue to play it, Twitch stream, Youtube videos, articles, on levels 1-15 and Carbine just recently opened up endgame testing, so it looks like they are pretty confident.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Yeah this is what I read between the lines from the reviews too, it gets compared to Skyrim all the damn time, it's like people seem to forget that in singleplayer titles the whole game is tailored for your solo experience, and a mmorpg cant be built like that. They should have NOT backed down with the locked factions because the freedom of race is a good singleplayer feature. It's just you, one guy or gal, so it's okay if an Altmer fights for the well being of the Nords and slaughters a ton of his own kind while doing so, in multiplayer it's just simply stupid as hell if there's 54897 Nords fighting for the Altmeri dominion.

That's just one thing, but there's so many game mechanical things too to consider compared to single player title. I'm not saying they havent done any mistakes though, there's a lot of stupid things too or things that could be improved, a lot, but feels like there's too much whining for the wrong reasons. Not to mentiont the usual hounds that are looking for anything they can even remotely to whine about.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Void425

TESO was the biggest New Threat to Wildstar's Release.  TESO is getting totally slammed by all the media for its problems.

I think now is the perfect time for NCSoft to announce a  Release Date and start taking  Pre-Orders for Wildstar.  The people who are disappointed with TESO are hungry for a new game right now and I am sure most of them would be willing to Pre-Order Wildstar right now if it was available directly from NCSoft.

This assumes NCSoft actually employs someone who understands the Western market.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

The negative feedback about TESO is justified.

-Each beta test they have the same problem: stuck at "retrieving character load" screen.  Check their facebook and other forums.  You dont even have to be a part of the beta to read about it.  It has happened in the last three betas.

-From what I can read, the current beta has had major issues.  Loads of people could not get in on Friday.  Then they took down servers to prep to break some silly record that they think is important in terms of concurrent beta tester.s.  Then some more people could not log in due to errors and character load.

This is all before we get to the actual gameplay.

-Watch any video posted by ZOS.  Combat is slow, clunky, unresponsive.  You see the bad floor from an enemy and dodge to avoid and even though you are physically out of that area a half second prior to the skill going off, you still get hit.   You read about people frantically pressing the auto attack button to hit their targets, instead of fluid combat.  Angry Joe, who is a pretty decent critic, gave this game concerned reviews.

-I believe beta lvl cap is 15.  The game releases in LESS than two months.  How can people test out end game content, or hell..even mid game content? 

-NDA is still in effect less than two months away.  Are they trying to avoid even more bad press?  Or are they hiding their golden treasure secret of an "awsome game". 

-Their game directors and producers go on record and quoted that all of the games content is available for a box price and subscription.  No other pay gates.  Recently, they announced a that a race previously thought to be unavailable is only available to those who dish out more $$ for some special imperial addition.

Need I go on?

NCSOFT, the time is ripe to announce a release date for Wildstar.  Please do.  You have many disgruntled TESO hopefuls looking for a new MMO to look forward to. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

TESO was the biggest New Threat to Wildstar's Release.  TESO is getting totally slammed by all the media for its problems.I think now is the perfect time for NCSoft to announce a  Release Date and start taking  Pre-Orders for Wildstar.  The people who are disappointed with TESO are hungry for a new game right now and I am sure most of them would be willing to Pre-Order Wildstar right now if it was available directly from NCSoft.

for the 1000000000000000th time if the game is CRAP then it will fail.
    It does not matter when it launches, if it FAILS to retain players as a sub game it will FAIL to be a success.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

As long as wildstar has a great end game then it will be better than 90% of all MMO currently released .

Im almost considering going back to WOW after having not played it for years .

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

Neither ESO or Wildstar are close to being ready for release - both games need some major delays and not pre-orders and launch dates.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by DMKano

The best way to show that it's really the time - drop the NDA.

Once Wildstar does that, then there's some hope - as long as NDA is up, gamers should be very suspicious of any game still under NDA.

I don't agree with this at all.  Wildstar has been as forthcoming as nearly any game we've seen in recent years, even under an NDA.  You RARELY see a dev communicate with the player base as well as pour out information, demonstrations, live streams, how-to videos, etc. with the regularity that Carbine has done with Wildstar.  Add to the fact that it's so easy to get into Wildstar's beta, and I don't buy for one second your insinuation that they have anything to hide.  

I've played the game.  I can say this without question:  It's in a showable state.  The only question marks left at this point is the endgame content, which we haven't seen yet.  If they nail that, they are going to have a hit on their hands.  

Sorry that doesn't fit into your "If there's an NDA the game must be sub-par" narrative. 

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by reeereee

This assumes NCSoft actually employs someone who understands the Western market.

If that was the case - the first thing they'd be making is a fantasy based game - as that's whats most popular in NA/EU as far as MMORPGs go.

http://www.newzoo.com/infographics/the-global-mmo-market-sizing-and-seizing-opportunities/

They would, but they checked that off the list two years ago with gw2.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    What's Wildstar?

In case you're asking a serious question.

What is Wildstar?

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564

The best way to show that it's really the time - drop the NDA.

Once Wildstar does that, then there's some hope - as long as NDA is up, gamers should be very suspicious of any game still under NDA.

I don't agree with this at all.  Wildstar has been as forthcoming as nearly any game we've seen in recent years, even under an NDA.  You RARELY see a dev communicate with the player base as well as pour out information, demonstrations, live streams, how-to videos, etc. with the regularity that Carbine has done with Wildstar.  Add to the fact that it's so easy to get into Wildstar's beta, and I don't buy for one second your insinuation that they have anything to hide.  

I've played the game.  I can say this without question:  It's in a showable state.  The only question marks left at this point is the endgame content, which we haven't seen yet.  If they nail that, they are going to have a hit on their hands.  

Sorry that doesn't fit into your "If there's an NDA the game must be sub-par" narrative. 

I am guessing you played only the weekend Stress test based on your comment about elder games.

As for a hit on their hands, i am really not sure. It's gonna have a great endgame that's for sure. But it's still WoW style and i am not sure people want that.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192

Even though it's being sold as an MMORPG, it's not an MMORPG and the style that TESO is in will never be able to be. It's still too single player driven.

I knew when I heard about TESO that it wasn't going to be a great MMO. It will be an ok game, it should be F2P though.

Killing dragons is my shit

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Grailer

As long as wildstar has a great end game then it will be better than 90% of all MMO currently released .

Im almost considering going back to WOW after having not played it for years .

It will be a similar themepark "failure" like they all have been for the last 6-8+ years, just like TESO will be too. You level up and when you hit max level you have played through 90% of the content, then you are left in a 10% end game pocket PvE-wise and expected to grind through a couple of instances until the next expansion hits. Before that the game will release a couple of more instances to keep people farming for that 15$/month.

Though Wildstar has one big advantage, you get to upgrade and redecorade your house! No seriously, this is a great feature. Adds a bit more life and longevity to the game, I'm sure.

Themeparks should be renamed 10%-parks for the content you get to play at max level. Maybe even 5%-parks, that might be sadly more accurate.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    it has NCsofts name on it, ill pass thankyou.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• DancwithDancwith Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by cesmode8

The negative feedback about TESO is justified.

-Each beta test they have the same problem: stuck at "retrieving character load" screen.  Check their facebook and other forums.  You dont even have to be a part of the beta to read about it.  It has happened in the last three betas.

-From what I can read, the current beta has had major issues.  Loads of people could not get in on Friday.  Then they took down servers to prep to break some silly record that they think is important in terms of concurrent beta tester.s.  Then some more people could not log in due to errors and character load.

This is all before we get to the actual gameplay.

-Watch any video posted by ZOS.  Combat is slow, clunky, unresponsive.  You see the bad floor from an enemy and dodge to avoid and even though you are physically out of that area a half second prior to the skill going off, you still get hit.   You read about people frantically pressing the auto attack button to hit their targets, instead of fluid combat.  Angry Joe, who is a pretty decent critic, gave this game concerned reviews.

-I believe beta lvl cap is 15.  The game releases in LESS than two months.  How can people test out end game content, or hell..even mid game content? 

-NDA is still in effect less than two months away.  Are they trying to avoid even more bad press?  Or are they hiding their golden treasure secret of an "awsome game". 

-Their game directors and producers go on record and quoted that all of the games content is available for a box price and subscription.  No other pay gates.  Recently, they announced a that a race previously thought to be unavailable is only available to those who dish out more $$ for some special imperial addition.

Need I go on?

NCSOFT, the time is ripe to announce a release date for Wildstar.  Please do.  You have many disgruntled TESO hopefuls looking for a new MMO to look forward to. 

this, 200% this

To add onto this with what i have seen

1.  Quest system is actually very archaic.  There isn't anything intuitive about it at all.

2.  The game pace is slow.  When i say slow, i mean... Everquest 1 slow.  

3.  The graphics look nice.......read: not good, not great, NICE.  Like, i could probably go back to a graphic card from 5 years ago, and not notice any difference.

4.  Up until 15 it was fairly linear in progression for question.  the problem comes from running forever between them. (archaic)

5.  The UI, Combat and their supporting toggles between modes are very clunkly and not even close to seemless or fluid.  its stiff and unfriendly

6.  Uhm, the armor is...... ok i guess ..... nothing that screams OMG

7.  2 months from release and what i see here in beta, in videos and in other areas kind of seals the coffin for me.

All in all, those who liked the Elder Scrolls franchise will probably like this although not as much as Skyrim.  Anyone who is used to the MMO styles seen in games life Rift, WoW, EQ2, SWTOR will likely not find this very appealing.  This game is not fluid, it is not fast in any form or fashion and is fairly restrictive when questing.  I can honestly say, i didn't enjoy ANY of the 12 hours i played but, the bright side, is i got to cancel my pre-order in anticipation for Wildstar, WHICH i am VERY excited to play

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

i agree with the above ( didnt want to qoute all that agian)

exept for one thing, i beleave fans of the elder scroll series will actully be more upset then people who dont care about it.

why well i dont wanna get in trouble so im not saying but i do firmly beleave that people who dont care about the elder scroll series will enjoy this more then those who do.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Oh you say this but I know this site too well to know this won't get praised like jesus himself created this game. Every mmo past 2-3 years have the same topics and slandering, don't doubt this will be a sucsess but not like WoW. You people acts as if you want one MMO to be on the market.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932

I don't think this game will even reach the success of Aion in the long run, Aion has already made over 1 billion dollars(1 trillion KRW - korean currency) since its launch:

http://imageshack.com/a/img196/6973/evvc.png

And it still is doing well according to the earning reports of the last two quarters:

http://imageshack.com/a/img59/8772/yjtw.png

Lineage 1 still is their biggest money maker, it made 84 billion KRW in 2Q13 and 62 bi KRW in 3Q13 Aion is doing well with the mark over 20 billion KRW a quarter.

Blade & Soul was only working in Korea in 3Q13(until September) when it made 20 bi KRW it only started working in China(first country after Korea) in the end of November.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Wildstar has a next to zero chance of selling as many copies as TES (which I think may top 3 million).

But they have near a 100% chance of retaining more players than TES.

One game is based on a 14 year old game design with no innovation, the other while being a typical themepark is using more modern designs with a few new spins on old themes in a setting no one knows so will at least bring a sense of something new.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• DancwithDancwith Member UncommonPosts: 28

Aion was a good game in my opinion.  I enjoyed the hell out of it.  I did have a few small complaints with it (e.g. Risk vs. Reward and engine failures in pvp at end game) but, honestly, it was very fun for me.  

I think Wildstar has a good chance of being better than people give it credit for in most places.  Just based on streams i can tell it has very similar characteristics as other major successful mmo titles of the past.  The ones i generally tend to focus on as earmarks of a successful game are:

1.  Fluid or seemless integration of actions, UI and control.  Being able to swap between different menu's, while also being able to fluidly control your character and perform actions in what feels like a real time setting is probably the most important feature for me.  I don't like it to feel like a chore for me to strafe and hit abilities while also being able to recognize opponents or reactive abilities.  (this is where ESO failed BIG TIME so far for me).

2.  Aesthetically pleasing themes:  Yes, EVERYONE likes a game that looks good.  they can relate to it and for many it helps with immersion into the virtual world that has been created for that purpose

3.  User friendly systems which promote their usage and actually contribute to the success of the game:  Quest helpers, trade-skill notifications and windows, tutorials, help notifications, social interaction systems such as chat and guild systems.  All of the above and more are VERY important to success.  you can't make an MMO and make it an act of god and the president to access chat windows.  If, i have to hit esc or something to make my mouse appear JUST so i can type in chat, that is indicative of a failing system within gaming.  it is counter intuitive to use especially when preparing for combat.

4.  Non-Linear progression models:  This is where a lot of MMO's fail their customer base.  Those who promote a vast world where your experience is dictated by you, then they put in a linear quest line that dictates you follow it to progress are destined to fail in that regard.  Another tactic is to say that, then put in XX number of quests and allow the player to complete them in whatever order, HOWEVER, you HAVE to complete them all to progress.  Failure to do so, will inevitably lead you to fall behind (this is also the case with ESO).  Lets add raid progression as well, WoW has failed at this quite a bit.  Linear progression tiers of raid content are a thing of the past.  Players like to be able to choose their own path.  They like to be able to be UNIQUE in their choices and for the most part don't want to be the sheep.  

5.  Making enough content:  This is where Rift and SW:TOR failed the hardest.  once you reach max level, you essentially had nothing to do here.  Rift failed hard here as there was very little content after the first raid.  The mapped zone was so small that you could run across the entire game in less than an hour.  SW:TOR had...what, 2 raid instances and those were cleared within the first two weeks or so and this was through some of the worst bug's i have ever seen in a game.  In the PvP arena, both games also failed with poorly balanced and widely bugged systems which they didn't address.  Rift has since fixed a lot of their issues and i am having quite a bit of fun with it. 

6.  Customer service interaction:  Lets be serious here, nobody wants to wait a week to an account issue resolution, Aion did this right in my eyes, the very few times i had interaction with a CSR it was within MINUTES of submitting the ticket and of every mmo i have tested and played, they were the most friendly and helpful.  Didn't get any BS spam, just the help needed if it was providable.

Wildstar looks refreshing, streams show me that its innovative in some of the systems they have in place at the moment.  I haven't seen enough of the PvP or any late game content to further judge, but i am EXCITED for the game.  Based on what i have seen within ESO + the reviews circulating through the net, i would most certainly push a Wildstar release off for 2 weeks or so after ESO or i would release it the week before.