Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So .... free to play yeh?

Hello! Can someone tell me pls how does the micro transactions (if there are any) function in this game? Could someone who is just interested in the story & PVE and some flashpoints now and then complete the game (max level) without the need to spend any money? I'm not interested in pvp or raids.

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    It's possible but extremely difficult. If you're looking for a free ride I would suggest STO or RIFT.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

It's possible if you want to do just story and Flashpoints. You will have limitations and 25% slower XP. Unlocks can be purchased on Galactic Market for game credits, but if you start fresh it's going to take you some time to gring for credits. I would recommend to buy something for $5 to get preferred account or sub for a month, get unlocks and then unsub.

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• SinrothSinroth Member CommonPosts: 12
    Originally posted by bubu_bubu91

Hello! Can someone tell me pls how does the micro transactions (if there are any) function in this game? Could someone who is just interested in the story & PVE and some flashpoints now and then complete the game (max level) without the need to spend any money? I'm not interested in pvp or raids.

I wouldn't listen to these others. It's possible?! Realistically it's impossible to comfortably play the game without micro transactions. They've limited the free to play so badly that other MMO's with a free to play option laugh their butts off at SWTOR. Honestly this game is the laughing stock of the MMORPG community when it comes to free to play. They're that bad, and their reputation for being extremely greedy is well deserved.

You'll have limited basically everything! No joke. Including action bars and you can only have a certain amount of credits (in game currency). Very limited bank space. Hiding your helm is turned off. Color matching is switched off. You can't even craft anything really. It's extremely restrictive, including chat options. Yes, chat is restricted, and it really sucks. Everything it restricts will eat at you the further you go. You will absolutely need to spend money at some point if you want to play comfortably without that uncomfortable nagging, itchy, depressing restriction feeling on everything. I would suggest turning elsewhere that has better free to play options. This one is at the bottom of the barrel unfortunately.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by bubu_bubu91

You don't have to spend a penny. I leveled a Jug on F2P with ease, wearing greens aswell.. The 2 hotbars is easily enough for the PvE story experience. You get to do 3 FP's a week as F2P aswell. If you want it even easier roll an Operative, you can stealth past most things. :)

Just install and give it a go. It is free.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

When I last played, you were limited to a single hotbar...and had to pay to unlock another, seriously wth...

It seems that you would have to at least pay a few quid to be able to play comfortably.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Professor78

When I last played, you were limited to a single hotbar...and had to pay to unlock another, seriously wth...

It seems that you would have to at least pay a few quid to be able to play comfortably.

I think the minimum hotbars was always two... which is what it is at the moment for a true F2P account.

Anyway, as Gorwe said; if you spend 5$ you automatically become a preferred player and you immediately get extra quickbars (don't even have to spend those 5$ on them) along with a bunch of other good stuff such as extra character slots and less limitations.

And as others have pointed out; it's very feasible to play through the entire story without spending anything on the game - plenty of people have done it, it's just up to every individual to decide which restrictions they can live with.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

I think the minimum hotbars was always two... which is what it is at the moment for a true F2P account.

Anyway, as Gorwe said; if you spend 5$ you automatically become a preferred player and you immediately get extra quickbars (don't even have to spend those 5$ on them) along with a bunch of other good stuff such as extra character slots and less limitations.

Nope, the very first model (where the bashing started :) ) was 1 bar for free, 2 bars for preferred and 4 for subbers (so no changes for them). One of the first model revisions was the bar increase, since that brought the most negative feedbacks and mocking memes and jokes :) only then was it changed to the present setting of 2 for free, 4 for preferred, and +2 for subbers.

The current model for preferred players is more or less decent if you only want to play as a singleplayer game (just the flow takes an arrow to the knee due to the culled xp, which is annoying since initially TOR has a nicely balanced one). Though I think "along with a bunch of other good stuff" is an exaggeration :) Let's just say preferred is a bit better than free.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Nope, the very first model (where the bashing started :) ) was 1 bar for free, 2 bars for preferred and 4 for subbers (so no changes for them). One of the first model revisions was the bar increase, since that brought the most negative feedbacks and mocking memes and jokes :) only then was it changed to the present setting of 2 for free, 4 for preferred, and +2 for subbers.

The current model for preferred players is more or less decent if you only want to play as a singleplayer game (just the flow takes an arrow to the knee due to the culled xp, which is annoying since initially TOR has a nicely balanced one). Though I think "along with a bunch of other good stuff" is an exaggeration :) Let's just say preferred is a bit better than free.

Ah, I wasn't sure where the original restriction kicked in - thanks.

As for the other "good stuff" - I'm also counting the conveniences like smaller cooldowns on fast travel powers compared to F2P and other things that just make life easier.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

As for the other "good stuff" - I'm also counting the conveniences like smaller cooldowns on fast travel powers compared to F2P and other things that just make life easier.

Yep, I agree, I was only referring onto the "bunch of" part, since there aren't that many, what really matters are the +1 crew skill and the +4 char.slots (altoholism ftw). The rest are just small convenience boosts.

But I agree, as someone said earlier, EA named it for hinting that if you arrive into the game after the f2p switch, that one is the "preferred way" to play :) (plus they needed a middle tier anyways for the box owners like myself, so two birds with one stone...)

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Do yourself a favor and do not try to play the game completely free, you'll regret having tried it. Just spend a bit of money on it, that way it'll be almost free really. If what you are looking for is just the stories, then you can have them for $5 to $15 and they're worth that much at least.

imageimage
  • NexusCZNexusCZ Member UncommonPosts: 56

Yep, I agree, I was only referring onto the "bunch of" part, since there aren't that many, what really matters are the +1 crew skill and the +4 char.slots (altoholism ftw). The rest are just small convenience boosts.

I would not call ability to equip more powerfull equipment (2-3x?) (which is easily obtainable from NPC vendors for currency obtained from doing quests, dailes, droped) small convenience boost.

Originally posted by NexusCZ

I would not call ability to equip more powerfull equipment (2-3x?) (which is easily obtainable from NPC vendors for currency obtained from doing quests, dailes, droped) small convenience boost.

True, I haven't played in the last few months, but last time I checked preferred also had to buy authorisation for equipping the better gears... was it changed with the Fighters?