Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest Next: Landmark why can't I get excited for it?

ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I find it strange personaly that I seem not to be that interested into EQ:L

I am wondering why: I love crafting, I love creating stuff, I love freedom. And EQ:L seems to deliver these things. So what is it that for some reason I just can not get excited about EQ:L?

I know, I know it's a retorical question only I can answer, but you see I am lost at a answer for myself.

I have no issue at all with it's stylized (cartoony) look, I actually like the look of the game.

Perhaps it's the things I read like the online market to sell your creations for real life money? Perhaps it's because both EQL and Next will be F2P which has me worried with game in the sandbox genre.

There are plenty of games I don't get excited about but I fully know my reasons for not being excited. With EQ:L I just can't put my finger on it.

Anyone else in the same position or perhaps someone might havea answer for it?

The only voxel game I have played is Planet Explorers I did enjoy it but have also seen how much time that game has taken from me. So perhaps it's a time issue where I might really love EQ:L if I started playing but because I love creatin unique things I might take me far to much time I don't really have to play games?

Comments

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I wasn't excited about it either, maybe especially because of the graphics. But then I saw a recent video and the cartoony aspect seemed less grating and the environment looked more realistic. So I threw a few bucks at it to see what it's about.

After 6 days of alpha, I will say that some elements of it are pretty cool. There's enough realism to make the sandbox world definitely not Minecraft. Some of the early building tools are cool and available only because it's a voxel game. Other things not so much.

I will likely continue to fiddle around with Landmark but I'll also mention I just resubbed to Rift for another year because there is nothing out there that remotely touches what's available for textures and possibility like Rift's Dimensions.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    I understand you. I guess it's partially because there isn't much yet to do. And for a big reason for me, because I loathe the harvesting part. It is mindnumbing boring. As much as I love to create stuff, I hate the gathering part.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Mainly because they haven't added any actual gameplay elements other than some gathering and landscaping at this point.  Hard to get too excited about that.  

Oddly enough, from the few alpha streams I've seen, I went from lukewarm at best regarding this game to pretty impressed.  I thought the world design was gorgeous, and the cartoony graphics weren't very obtrusive at all.  I'll now be keeping an eye on this one a bit closer.  

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I wasn't excited for it either but looking at my sig should give you a clue as to why.  I really do not like Crafting and Building.  Friends have been trying to get me to play Minecraft for years but to no avail.

However I am extremely giddy and psyched for Everquest Next the MMO because my personal preferences are Adventure, Exploration and Combat.  It is all I care about in MMO's and everything else is just blah if you ask me. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Jaedor

there is nothing out there that remotely touches what's available for textures and possibility like Rift's Dimensions.

Uh, the game that inspired Rift's dimensions?

Currently, EQ2 housing > Rift housing.  There is a lot more you can do with EQ2 than you can do with Rift.

However the Dreamweaver sounds cool, only a few of EQ2's housing options have things like weather options.  

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Reklaw

I find it strange personaly that I seem not to be that interested into EQ:L

I am wondering why: I love crafting, I love creating stuff, I love freedom. And EQ:L seems to deliver these things. So what is it that for some reason I just can not get excited about EQ:L?

I know, I know it's a retorical question only I can answer, but you see I am lost at a answer for myself.

I have no issue at all with it's stylized (cartoony) look, I actually like the look of the game.

Perhaps it's the things I read like the online market to sell your creations for real life money? Perhaps it's because both EQL and Next will be F2P which has me worried with game in the sandbox genre.

There are plenty of games I don't get excited about but I fully know my reasons for not being excited. With EQ:L I just can't put my finger on it.

Anyone else in the same position or perhaps someone might havea answer for it?

The only voxel game I have played is Planet Explorers I did enjoy it but have also seen how much time that game has taken from me. So perhaps it's a time issue where I might really love EQ:L if I started playing but because I love creatin unique things I might take me far to much time I don't really have to play games?

Im only mildly interested in Landmark, have hopped into the alpha a few times though.  When they fix the CPU load on it Ill play more, but Im more interested in Next.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by Jaedor

I wasn't excited about it either, maybe especially because of the graphics. But then I saw a recent video and the cartoony aspect seemed less grating

There you go. With the click of a button you can get that Minecraft feel

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by Elikal
    I understand you. I guess it's partially because there isn't much yet to do. And for a big reason for me, because I loathe the harvesting part. It is mindnumbing boring. As much as I love to create stuff, I hate the gathering part.

Dont worry, when it releases you will be able to buy all the resources you want from the cash shop...

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by Scorchien

Dont worry, when it releases you will be able to buy all the resources you want from the cash shop...

Nope , you get all the resources you want through trading with other players via setting up stores on your claims. Shows what you know...

Originally posted by Victor_Kruger

Nope , you get all the resources you want through trading with other players via setting up stores on your claims. Shows what you know...

They have been using EQ2 as a test ground for this for years now, and have been selling resources for building on the plots you buy for a couiple years now, also.. If you think for 1 second that SOE doesnt see an oppurtunity to make money and use it you are mistaken..F2P is exactly what it means for Landmark as it does for all there games .. I am not ripping there strategy i am a supporter of SOE and have been since EQ.. But it is the truth of todays marketing approach ... they know there are people out there that will du,mp cash in to instantly have bags of resources for a few dollars ..

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280

They have been using EQ2 as a test ground for this for years now, and have been selling resources for building on the plots you buy for a couiple years now, also.. If you think for 1 second that SOE doesnt see an oppurtunity to make money and use it you are mistaken..F2P is exactly what it means for Landmark as it does for all there games .. I am not ripping there strategy i am a supporter of SOE and have been since EQ.. But it is the truth of todays marketing approach ... they know there are people out there that will du,mp cash in to instantly have bags of resources for a few dollars ..

The problem with that assumption is that they have said that there will be economy with store shops you can set up too trade with other players. On your claims security settings you can set up people as customers to your plot. It really comes down to what resources means, I think they will sell , skins for materials, boosters and other cosmetic items as well the buildings players make in the player studio. If they are going to sell resources, the materials needed to build things, it will ruin the sandbox economy in game. We will see.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

They are using the Planetside 2 method for ftp not the eq2 method, so mainly cosmetics for options and everything else able to be earned in game by playing or accessed earlier by paying.

• BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50

I'm in the same position, haven't been able to muster the will to log on for a week now...

The gathering part is deffinitely painful, and I usually love to mine and pick herbs but staring into a tree trunk while chopping is seriously a pain after your 500th tree...

Maybe it's because I found out I actually can't build all the cool things I was hoping to build. Not because it's not possible but rather because I'm just not very talented it turns out.

I'm hoping EQN will be fun though, but I really, and I mean really, hate F2P...

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549

The primary reason I'm having a hard time getting into Landmark is how they are padding everything out too much with getting access to tools.   Progression is a key aspect of Landmark and I totally expect having to build better tools to get access to more materials, but having your building toolset locked behind the same system is backwards and problematic.  If they want to see people make things, they need to have those tools accessible from the start when the user actually has interest in trying to learn them.   There are a lot of tools that people don't even realize exist because they are locked behind a progression bar.

Everquest Next might be a good game, but Everquest Next Landmark is feeling like SOE is attempting to bend reality to their expectations instead of the other way around.   The hardcore grinders on their Alpha Forums are not helping the situation, either.

Edit: To avoid confusion, when I say "building tools" I mean things that you'd typically find on an interface like in sim city 2000, such as selection tools, add tools, delete tools, etc.  Those are the kinds of things I'd expect to have without restriction.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Everything is changeable, which is why they are having alpha, to see what people like/dislike.  To get the processed burled goes from 100 to 60, not sure if that is only on a better machine that you process it or if it was a change, noticed it last time I did the wood to help my wife build all the highest end stuff.

Also, if you make the ring thing that gives you rare resource discovery, your burled takes a HUGE leap, I was getting  30-60  (averaged low to mid 40) a big tree when I had a ring that gave me 3 (and helps with the elemental gold, which seems a pain and a little low).  My wifes ring gave her 4, and their is a lower one that gives 1 (when I made it, probably can make one that does 2, if its better).  I now know that it is important to have that ring, when trying to get elemental, burled and anything like that.

Building is another story, I am working on my stuff, but I am by no means great at it, but what I end up with, I think I will like it.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I wasn't all that pumped for EQL but seeing some of the stuff that is being created has really peaked my interest. These aren't your blocky minecraft creations at all, this engine is so much more powerful than any other voxel engine I've personally seen.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

I would love to play it right now but im not gona pay that much to get in alpha :P  

once it releases for beta (in a month)  it be under $20 and thats a prize im willing to pay for a game like that.  its a minecraft whit less content but more ability to make whatever you want and make it look better...

the rl transaction shit is just bleh.. its there and if i can make a buck selling something awesome I created..hey fine, if not its fine to.

The problem with that assumption is that they have said that there will be economy with store shops you can set up too trade with other players. On your claims security settings you can set up people as customers to your plot. It really comes down to what resources means, I think they will sell , skins for materials, boosters and other cosmetic items as well the buildings players make in the player studio. If they are going to sell resources, the materials needed to build things, it will ruin the sandbox economy in game. We will see.

Go figure , they are going to be selling resources , never would have guessed that ... Aint that rich... lol