Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I DO want F2P

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

So just got off work and watched Angry Joe's preview and in it he sums up exactly why I dislike the subscription model.  41k (or what ever astronomical number) for a horse/mount.  He pretty much said buy the CE and you get one for free. 

You see many people forget the hidden carrot on a stick that subscription games use to keep you subscribed "just one more month".  Why on earth should I have to farm and farm and farm for hours on end to buy a mount?  Couple this with limited inventory space to keep the player either A) running back to town more often to sell or B) not looting as much to keep inventory space available.  Both serve the same purpose.....to slow the game down and force you to pay more.  Whereas in a Good F2P game I can buy a Mount, buy some bags and maybe  a few cosmetical upgrades so my avatar doesn't look like a frikken pauper.

A good F2P game allows me to pay for what I want up front and if the game is good I'll continue to keep playing.  I understand a lot of people feel put off by immersion but I tell you right here and now not being able to buy a Mount at the appropriate level or having to run back to town to sell every 10 minutes is way more immersion breaking then any cash shop has ever been.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It is because OP,you forget WHY you are suppose to be playing a rpg.

If you did not want to play out the role of a  character in a game world, and just want everything instantly bought,you should have picked a different genre.

Where in life can you  without working  putting out any effort can you just walk into a store and buy anything you want?Does not exist anywhere.

ROLE playing means you are playing the role of that character as he would exist in a real world  even if using a Fantasy background/setting.

The ONLY reason a developer allows you EASY access is for one reason >>>$$$$.Here have level 90 ..pay us,,here have a mount...pay us.It still comes down to money,the ONLY difference is one has NO hidden costs and is a more realistic design,the other is a FAKE gimmick to LURE players in "PRETENDING" to be free but is hidden costs and NOT free.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

And that is one of the issues I have with the F2P model MMO, insta-gratification. To me, if you just wanna buy it all in a cash shop, what's the point of playin the game?

• wilqwilq Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Do not worry, this game will go ftp sooner than you think.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Wizardry

It is because OP,you forget WHY you are suppose to be playing a rpg.

If you did not want to play out the role of a  character in a game world, and just want everything instantly bought,you should have picked a different genre.

Where in life can you  without working  putting out any effort can you just walk into a store and buy anything you want?Does not exist anywhere.

ROLE playing means you are playing the role of that character as he would exist in a real world  even if using a Fantasy background/setting.

The ONLY reason a developer allows you EASY access is for one reason >>>$$$$.Here have level 90 ..pay us,,here have a mount...pay us.It still comes down to money,the ONLY difference is one has NO hidden costs and is a more realistic design,the other is a FAKE gimmick to LURE players in "PRETENDING" to be free but is hidden costs and NOT free.

I don't know anyone who plays an RPOG to ride a mount or micro manage their inventory.  Maybe I'm playing the wrong game then.

No I play RPG's because I want to role play a character who does certain things.  Being a pauper might be one of them but not always.  However the main reason I play is because of progression, character advancement and exploration.  Having no mou8nt and no bag space is not needed in those endeavors.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

And I prefer buy-to-play because it lacks the dreadful weaknesses of f2p and p2p. I buy my game. I earn my gear and aesthetics at a REASONABLE pace. I don't have to spend money in a cash shop. I don't have to keep paying (in exchange for literally nothing) on a game that I already own.

You lot can keep your f2p and p2p. 

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Aeander

And I prefer buy-to-play because it lacks the dreadful weaknesses of f2p and p2p. I buy my game. I earn my gear and aesthetics at a REASONABLE pace. I don't have to spend money in a cash shop. I don't have to keep paying (in exchange for literally nothing) on a game that I already own.

You lot can keep your f2p and p2p. 

Well technically I prefer B2P as well.  Gives the Developers a nice chunk of cash from box sales to pay for development costs and all micro-transaction goes toward upkeep.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

41k gold for a mount?

It depends on our level, how do we know how big our income is at higher levels?

Let's take a look back at WoW, it would be impossible for a level 10 character to buy a mount, but if you buy it later you'll be able to purchase it with golds from quests etc. I think you're exaggerating.

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

You can get extra inv at the crafting area .. the upgrade after that costs more but obviously we'll be getting more return from quests, mobs eventually so that should help with that. I'm guessing crafters will be ablet to make & sell bags as in other mmo's so if that happens then that'll help.

If you think your farming now .. try when the genre wasn't tamed downed by all the 'i want it now, now, now' cries .. back when you had just UO & Meridian59

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by azzamasin

So just got off work and watched Angry Joe's preview and in it he sums up exactly why I dislike the subscription model.  41k (or what ever astronomical number) for a horse/mount.  He pretty much said buy the CE and you get one for free. 

You see many people forget the hidden carrot on a stick that subscription games use to keep you subscribed "just one more month".  Why on earth should I have to farm and farm and farm for hours on end to buy a mount?  Couple this with limited inventory space to keep the player either A) running back to town more often to sell or B) not looting as much to keep inventory space available.  Both serve the same purpose.....to slow the game down and force you to pay more.  Whereas in a Good F2P game I can buy a Mount, buy some bags and maybe  a few cosmetical upgrades so my avatar doesn't look like a frikken pauper.

A good F2P game allows me to pay for what I want up front and if the game is good I'll continue to keep playing.  I understand a lot of people feel put off by immersion but I tell you right here and now not being able to buy a Mount at the appropriate level or having to run back to town to sell every 10 minutes is way more immersion breaking then any cash shop has ever been.

Surely you know that these games are filled with timesinks and goldsinks to keep players playing, it's not "slowing you down to force you to pay more" it's simply about keeping you playing at all. Mmorpgs have become easier and faster year by year and now we have games that you get to max level in under week and then there's nothing to do, you whine, and quit.

Also how is having to go back to town and sell you loot any less immersive than having a backpack that can hold 126 armor pieces, 87 weapons, and 431KG's of "materials" - just how?

I'm not even talking about the sub model, it's just, you kind of mentioned very basic mmorpg stuff there like it was something new now. Personally I'd prefer box price + cash shop, OR box price and low sub fee. I dont agree with the ridiculous 14,99$/12,99€/month we STILL have. Who the fuck decided that's the MMO monthly fee and should stay so forever?

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    You think the sub fees should go down despite inflation? We are lucky they haven't gone up!

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    You think the sub fees should go down despite inflation? We are lucky they haven't gone up!

Because of common sense. We pay for a new game every 3 months with sub fee, but we dont get even a fraction of that back as content, and the upkeep of the game does not cost nearly that much, not even close.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

As a guide I had about 4K gold at level 8.

There are two different mounts, one is 17,200 the other is 42,000.

I don't think this is an issue.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Kuinn

Because of common sense. We pay for a new game every 3 months with sub fee, but we dont get even a fraction of that back as content, and the upkeep of the game does not cost nearly that much, not even close.

They dont make these games for your pleasure... Its the big bad world where everyone works to make money for their investors...  And if the investors dont make enough money, there will be no more  MMOs ...

anyway, if you cant afford 15 dollars a month, then you cant afford to be gaming at all and you should be looking for a job...  You can make a lot of money by working those 30 hours a week instead of gaming...  Or you get a job for 10 hours and still got money spare and have 20 hours of gaming..   

Anyway, if you do your studies and find a good job you willmake 3 or 4 times  those 15 dollars for every hour you work..  15 dollars is peanuts.. Small money.. And for every hour i game i save money on top of that as i do not spend anything else..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

About the 41k.

First of all the base horse is 17.5k.

Secondly, unlike other MMOs this game just has gold, no gold/silver/copper denominations, so 17.5k in this game is like 175 silver in most games. 

Thirdly it's beta pricing, so subject to change.  Could go up or down but I imagine down because 17.5k is like level 20 at least unless you farm your butt off.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    If this game would be F2P with an ingame cash shop, I would not be interested to play this game for longer. The monthly subscription is actually one of the points why this game draws attention.
  • GadarethGadareth Member UncommonPosts: 310

I am really hoping the freeloader trend eventually runs out of steam. I for one want a subscription model one where the people playing the game pay for it which encourages  regular and meaningful updates of new content.

The problem with the freeloader also know as (f2p) model is the updates are mostly concentrated on adding new things to buy from their shop actually playing the game becomes more and more meaningless. as the developers are forced to put more and more carrots into the shop instead of into the game itself.

So I for one hope that this game sticks to its guns and stays subscription because to be honest people who are willing to pay for this games should be the only ones that matter.

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    If it was F2P, i wouldnt have much interest in it at all.  I like the fact that not only me but everybody has equal access to the content in the game.  I dont want to have any advantage over anybody or anybody over me, totally would kill the game for me.  I still dont get why people go crazy over 15 bucks a month, it is so easy to save 15 dollars a month in order to play the game if you love playing it.  I know this has been said a 1000 times but the amount of fun you get for 15 bucks a month is insanely cheap.  I do think society has way too many people that "want more for less".    I think some people just dont like a game enough and willing to pay anything to pay it.  A few years ago, i never heard one person complain about a sub fee ever, it was just normal and what you did.  And no i am not an old school gamer, i like many of the new style games. 
  • laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

It's kind of the same thing.  

Sure, many subscription game put those carrot to make you grind so you'll pay subscription monthly.  But so does F2P games which makes the game very grindy so people'll buy cash shop item.

Many people end up paying hundred of dollar every month in F2P for a reason.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

I don't want to pay the same price as a sub for a couple of items in the cash shop.  But go for it its your money.  Id prefer to pay one small set price for an entire game that isn't designed around a shopping mall.  Why don't you just log into to your Amazon account if you like shopping so much.  They have way more items in their cash shop.

• primaloozeprimalooze Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by wilq
    Do not worry, this game will go ftp sooner than you think.

If it does i will move on to a different game... like i did with everquest2, age of conan and swtor.... F2P just ruins games... no examples where it hasnt from what i can tell.

Only gotta play neverwinter to realise how bad F2P can get.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    It makes me warm and fuzzy to see people are "generally" in agreement with me on this. A rare thing on mmorpg.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Aw, poor baby, you have to work for what you get... boohoo!

This is exactly why I hate F2P.  I hate shortcuts.  I love the feeling of progression based on my actions, not my wallet.  It's cheating.  Stop whining and put in some effort.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

It's probably because you are a content locust that plays 6-8 hours a day, while racing through all of the lore, quest text, and ignoring any sort of exploration.  I am quite comfortable that I will get 2-3 months out of this game before I even think about going into the PvP or adventure zones.  That's also before I even attempt an alt.  

People need to slow down and enjoy what they are experiencing.  

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by DAS1337

Aw, poor baby, you have to work for what you get... boohoo!

This is exactly why I hate F2P.  I hate shortcuts.  I love the feeling of progression based on my actions, not my wallet.  It's cheating.  Stop whining and put in some effort.

Well I don't know if you can consider it cheating. In plus, F2P games have plenty of progression as well, it just depends on the game itself. There are many F2P games that only offer vanity items and has no effect on actual game play.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by DAS1337

It's probably because you are a content locust that plays 6-8 hours a day, while racing through all of the lore, quest text, and ignoring any sort of exploration.  I am quite comfortable that I will get 2-3 months out of this game before I even think about going into the PvP or adventure zones.  That's also before I even attempt an alt.  

People need to slow down and enjoy what they are experiencing.  

So he's playing it wrong?

No, I don't think so.

This discussion has been closed.