Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe reviews ESO Beta

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Mpfive
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

I agree with him, it should be free.

No where in the video did he say it should be free, what video where you watching...

start watching at 18:50

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I like AngeyJoe's assessment because like always he is brutally honest. So it looks like this one will tank hard unless the pvp is worth 15 bucks a month. It just doesn't sound very promising. Next...
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by Nevulus
    That's why I am a fan of his reviews. He calls it as it is, always has & always will.

he said guild wars 2 was amazing.

You're only reinforcing his point. GW2 is amazing and for just $60. It doesn't gate any races or ability to create a play a race on your server behind a paygate.

It's not that simple. I cant stand GW2 because there are no factions in it. The open world is boring when everyone are best buddies with each others and the PvP feels weird because I fight against my own "people" - it was really dissapointing to hear TESO will allow cross faction races, but at least it's limited to pre-order and there's still factions in that game.

Not defending TESO here, I havent played it and looks like it most likely end up F2P soon, just saying GW2 is not amazing, to some it is ofcourse, to othes it is unplayable. The same thing will apply to TESO more or less.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

No where in the video did he say it should be free, what video where you watching...

22:15

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

Wildstar devs must be happy. 

I'm sad.... another great franchise ruined in the mmo genre.

• DancwithDancwith Member UncommonPosts: 28
    After putting my time in, im on board with Joe here.  Everything is almost spot on although i would be a lot more critical.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I'll be passing on this one.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The only thing he complains about are the box prices and the subscription...  (but then we where all good paying those like 3 years ago, at which point every non succesfull MMO went f2p and cashshop)... 

And then suddenly he advises everyone to buy the more expensive collectors edition, just because it comes with a free horse..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by bestever

Just his opinion and I don't agree with him. I've enjoyed my time with it and hope some things change and other things get better. I can careless what Angry Joe has to say. One guys opinion doesn't help me make my choice.  So many of you can't think for yourselves so you need someone like this to guide you and that's okay. I'll just play the game and have fun with it for as long as it last. It cost me 60$ the same price as most games.

I guess you guys like listening to a douche. I've seen a few of his reviews and it makes me sick to think anyone would even listen to a loud mouth a-dd having grown ass child man. Get real. Well I guess I shouldn't expect much from this community, from what I've seen over the last few years its a pretty sad community and I think I'm finally done here. Take care mmorpg.com.

Opinions are like demo tapes, I don't want to hear them.

Nice opinion..................ironic.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    The only thing he complains about are the box prices and the subscription...  (but then we where all good paying those like 3 years ago, at which point every non succesfull MMO went f2p and cashshop)...  And then suddenly he advises everyone to buy the more expensive collectors edition, just because it comes with a free horse..  

He voiced his pro's and con's, he said it should be a F2P and be King of the Hill of F2P games but as a sub game it's just average at best, there are better P2P games out there is how he put it.

He reviewed/criticized more then just the box price and sub fee.

There was the combat, graphic, music and content.

The thing with buying the CE so you can get a horse was actually a big criticism.

• Does not seem like he really liked it...
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Volgore

Quit that crap after 5mins.

All i got from that "review" was some guy playing the beta with a bunch of other folks on VoIP, going "f*ck f*ck!!", "dude, dude!", "awesome, dude!" all the way, showing their pathetic eVip attitude.

Spot-on.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Grakulen

I believe he was talking about the Imperial Race being part of the CE.

Once again let me just requote the obvious because some people didn't bother to read the thread at all before take cheap shots at each other.

Edit: because some people didn't get it yet. I think they are referring to the imperial race behind the paywall. It should be free considering the premium price and sub.

angry joe, logical as always. Some people can be sooooo jeaaaaalous lol

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    No PvP? Well... um.. It's kinda like a pvp game, imo. You kinda need to do that to give a review.... idk...
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    That's why I am a fan of his reviews. He calls it as it is, always has & always will.

You're only reinforcing his point. GW2 is amazing and for just $60. It doesn't gate any races or ability to create a play a race on your server behind a paygate.

Not defending TESO here, I havent played it and looks like it most likely end up F2P soon, just saying GW2 is not amazing, to some it is ofcourse, to othes it is unplayable. The same thing will apply to TESO more or less.

just saying GW2 is amazing, to some it is not of course

see what i done here?

gw2 is the first mmo where i actualy have fun to play with friends without any stupid competition on mineral nodes or loot we got from a mob, its the first mmo in the past 15 years that is FUN go out with a group of friends and do stuff and the living story is still evolving

i have played these two games and can tell you im staying in GW2 and will be playing Skyrim not some "cheap version" of it

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Once again let me just requote the obvious because some people didn't bother to read the thread at all before take cheap shots at each other.

Edit: because some people didn't get it yet. I think they are referring to the imperial race behind the paywall. It should be free considering the premium price and sub.

And let me state the obvious:  You are wrong.  He very specifically said, and without qualification, that the game would be great as a F2P game...but NOT as a sub game.  He said this at the end of the video.  He did not, in any way, shape, or form bring up the Collector's edition issues while stating this.  His issues with the Collector's edition were discussed near the beginning of the video.

Two completely different and unrelated issues.  Re-watch the video.   

It doesn't get much clearer than that.  

• Like Joe and many others I also feel the game won't make it as a sub-based game. It will stand a better chance as a F2P game because people tolerate much lower standards from F2P MMOs.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

And let me state the obvious:  You are wrong.  He very specifically said, and without qualification, that the game would be great as a F2P game...but NOT as a sub game.  He said this at the end of the video.  He did not, in any way, shape, or form bring up the Collector's edition issues while stating this.  His issues with the Collector's edition were discussed near the beginning of the video.

Two completely different and unrelated issues.  Re-watch the video.   

It doesn't get much clearer than that.  

Indeed, he was very clear on the fact that he did not think the game was worth paying a sub for, and that there are other subbed games that are actually better, however, this might change to a degree, depending on how the PVP part of the game pans out, as he wasn't yet able to review the PVP, but in its current state, its not worth it, and that unless the PVP part of the game is really good, he thought it would do better as a F2P game. Thing about Joe is, he tends to tell it how it is, no matter who it upsets, have to give the guy respect for that. Personally his review has reinforced the decision not to buy, at least for the moment, as i was more interested in the PVE side of the game anyway, which by the looks of it, is a bit iffy, or to quote AJ, like a low budget version of skyrim.

This is a game that might not be that good at launch, but a year or so down the line when they've fixed a few things, added more and maybe just given it a bit more polish, that might be the point where the game becomes 'worth it'. image

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Angryjoe and Totalbiscuit are the only 2 that I would trust whatever they say.

I felt what he showed and what he said on them would mirror my experience with the game; an average gamer that likes the Elder Scrolls series.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by hcoelho

Wildstar devs must be happy. 

I'm sad.... another great franchise ruined in the mmo genre.

I dunno man, my guess is Wildstar will go f2p even sooner.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Phry

Indeed, he was very clear on the fact that he did not think the game was worth paying a sub for, and that there are other subbed games that are actually better, however, this might change to a degree, depending on how the PVP part of the game pans out,

as he wasn't yet able to review the PVP, but in its current state, its not worth it, and that unless the PVP part of the game is really good, he thought it would do better as a F2P game.

Thing about Joe is, he tends to tell it how it is, no matter who it upsets, have to give the guy respect for that. Personally his review has reinforced the decision not to buy, at least for the moment, as i was more interested in the PVE side of the game anyway, which by the looks of it, is a bit iffy, or to quote AJ, like a low budget version of skyrim.

This is a game that might not be that good at launch, but a year or so down the line when they've fixed a few things, added more and maybe just given it a bit more polish, that might be the point where the game becomes 'worth it'. image

i had the same impressions from the AJ preview

sadly, mmos get only one chance at launch  (unless you pull a redesign like FF14)

the game at launch is your best chance to draw gamers in

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Uhm you know this wasn't his final verdict of the game? It's not even a review, it's his first beta impression.

As he said he can't show footage after 15 minutes you can't blame him for being vague when he can't show what he's trying to say.

I kinda agree with his first impression i'll try it out some more while I still can as I really hope it can grab my attention.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by BeansnBread
    Originally posted by BeansnBread

He probably thinks that compared to ESO, it really is amazing. And at a better value.

Except he no longer plays GW2.  He left the game and his guild disbanded.  And he wasn't paying a dime for GW2, either.  So it wasn't like he left because he didn't feel like paying for it anymore.  

Would he have to play a game indefinitely for you to accept that he liked it?

He'd have to play it a bit longer than he did.  Most people leave MMOs because, at some point, they get bored of them.  If the game was a true 10/10, as he graded it, I'd expect him to have lasted longer.  And again, he wasn't paying a dime for the game after buying the box.  So he wouldn't be able to use the "Well, I didn't feel like paying $15 a month for it" excuse like people use with sub games.  If you leave a game that you aren't paying a dime for, there must be some issues.  

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that once he hit cap, he realized, like many others have, that the game falls short.  

Also, some of you guys need to re-watch his review of ESO.  He actually WAS saying that he thinks the game would be amazing as a F2P game.  He made a great, valid point about the Collector's Edition BS that Zenimax is pulling, but the end of his review is not about that.  He simply states he thinks the game would be great if you didn't have to pay a sub for it.  Which doesn't really make sense to me.  Either a game is good or bad on its own merits.  

Also, I'm a fan of Angry Joe's reviews.  I don't always agree with everything he says, but he's a pretty sharp guy and he always makes very good points.  The point about ESO possibly being great if only it was F2P wasn't one of his better points.  

Or like many others he quit when ANET added ascended/infused gear

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

I wanted to give this "review" a chance, but he clearly didn't take the game seriously in any way. He acted as if he was slightly drunk - and his buddies seemed to be there only to reinforce any uninformed critique he tried to be funny about.

I'll give him points for his comments on the Collector's Edition and the paywall argument, because I think that's exactly right.

But his overly laid back and disinterested angle of approach was juvenile at best and retarded at worst.

Also, he seemed to really enjoy GW2 - which I consider one of the worst MMO designs in the history of the genre - albeit with a fantastic engine and strong visual aesthetic, and a game specifically made for people who enjoy the meaningless hamster wheel but don't want to feel challenged and obligated to think or work for anything. I get the sense that's the kind of game Joe would have wanted overall.

ESO is trying to be different, and it's trying to be an actual world that's less "gamey" with huge flashing markers everywhere and dozens of bright green/red/blue christmas presents being shoved down your throat every two seconds.

It's going for a more traditional roleplaying approach, where you're not fighting enemies constantly - and where you can roam free and actually get the feeling that something that's not part of a blatant hamster wheel is happening.

It's very much about immersing yourself in a story and presenting a place that could potentially exist - and not a gigantic Toys R Us that's there only to serve instant gratification until you logout.

Well, to each his own - but this "review" is a very bad joke.