Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe reviews ESO Beta

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by shadow9d9
    Originally posted by BeansnBread

Would he have to play a game indefinitely for you to accept that he liked it?

For a genre built upon the idea of keeping people interested over the long term?  Yes.  At the very least, more than GW2 has been around.

Whelp, that sounds completely insane to me considering his job. But it's fine with me if you want to try and discredit his opinion using that argument.

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

With all respect to Joe, his video feels like a typical console gamer reviewing an mmo.

By console gamers i mean impatient gamers who only play a game for a week or two before hopping/leaving to other games, on most part it is completely fine and reasonable, but for an mmo i prefer longevity over initial flashes and excitement.

Comparing Skyrim's graphic to TESO is kinda unfair too, honesty playing the game at max i found it mostly on par with Console Skyrim (Skyrim's graphic at console are largely overrated..without any mod it looks average at best )

I might be the minority who enjoy slower pace MMO, TESO without breaking any NDA had relatively longer leveling curve than other recent mmo release, and i like it.

While i do agree the combat can gets kinda bland at time, but isn't it commonly found in every Elder Scrolls game? I mean this ain't witcher or dragon age.

Having said that i am still looking forward to Joe's PVP video, at least his opinion is honest unlike some other reviewers.

Anyway,  Zenimax is really fuck up for limiting the length of the preview video imo, this kind of act is actually harming their reputation.

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374

Would he have to play a game indefinitely for you to accept that he liked it?

For a genre built upon the idea of keeping people interested over the long term?  Yes.  At the very least, more than GW2 has been around.

Whelp, that sounds completely insane to me considering his job. But it's fine with me if you want to try and discredit his opinion using that argument.

It has nothing to do with his opinion.  I haven't viewed his opinion and have no dog in this fight.  I am merely stating the problem with the genre.  Most games seem fun at first.  Their longetivity, in the MMO genre, should be what determines how truly good a game is.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Volgore

Quit that crap after 5mins.

All i got from that "review" was some guy playing the beta with a bunch of other folks on VoIP, going "f*ck f*ck!!", "dude, dude!", "awesome, dude!" all the way, showing their pathetic eVip attitude.

Yeah, that was unfortunate, it was difficult to watch.

I think I also disagree with the guy who said that wholesale copying of other successful mmo's was fine, just do it in your own way".

Really? Which successful mmo's? WoW? EVE?

two diametricallly opposed mmo's.

I have harsh criticisms for the game but they strike me as having short attention spans with some of their comments.

And then at the end he goes on about how paying for the game isn't great but if it was "FREE" it would be the most amazing "FREE" game because there is "so much content".

So people can't pay for "so much content" anymore?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

It has nothing to do with his opinion.  I haven't viewed his opinion and have no dog in this fight.  I am merely stating the problem with the genre.  Most games seem fun at first.  Their longetivity, in the MMO genre, should be what determines how truly good a game is.

That's too subjective though. For instance, I don't agree that longevity should be what determines whether or not an MMORPG is truly good.

That's too subjective though. For instance, I don't agree that longevity should be what determines whether or not an MMORPG is truly good.

If the game isn't built to sustain your interest over the long term, how can it possibly be considered good?

Hell, the idea of a subscription means that the developers INTEND for you to stay long time.  They set the goal themselves!

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by muffins89

Originally posted by Nevulus
    That's why I am a fan of his reviews. He calls it as it is, always has & always will.

he said guild wars 2 was amazing.

proves again why most folks think AJ hit's the nail right on the head

If the game isn't built to sustain your interest over the long term, how can it possibly be considered good?

This is such a strange question to me. It seems so obvious that I could like and enjoy a game without actually having to play it for a year straight or whatever. MMORPGs don't magically REQUIRE people to play them for a long time in order for those people to like them. That's just not how it works.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Angry Joe's review is a pretty accurate assessment of the way things are. Sad but true.

Zenimax had the potential to make something Great. Instead they ended up making something just good. I guess that's fine but it's a little upsetting.

And that part where he said it feels like Elder Scrolls without its heart or soul is spot on.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

I am beyond sick of the sub fee whines. They whine and whine and cry like little babies about sub fees. Then when they stick in an item shop, they will whine and cry and suck their thumbs like little babies and still not play the game.

These people trying to get something for nothing need to learn, no such thing. Take a hike.

some folks will pay 10$ for a bottle of tap water ....doesn't mean they are bright it just means they have cash to blow

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Originally posted by thunderC
    terrible review, angry joe needs to get a real job IMHO

What do you consider a "real job"?

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

Yeah....

Why the hell would ANYONE EVER want a real job.  To hell with that. He's making money doing what he loves.... Why take that away from anyone.

Keep on doing what your doing angry joe.

Because the world really needs another accountant......

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820

That's why I am a fan of his reviews. He calls it as it is, always has & always will.

And, for him, and others (myself included) it IS amazing.

Angry Joe has never steered me wrong on a game.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by FlyinDutchman87
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

Yeah....

Why the hell would ANYONE EVER want a real job.  To hell with that. He's making money doing what he loves.... Why take that away from anyone.

Keep on doing what your doing angry joe.

Because the world really needs another accountant......

Or another Banker. Amen brother amen. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

This is such a strange question to me. It seems so obvious that I could like and enjoy a game without actually having to play it for a year straight or whatever. MMORPGs don't magically REQUIRE people to play them for a long time in order for those people to like them. That's just not how it works.

MMOs started off requiring people to pay, and people did, for years.  Now, they aren't sustaining themselves easily on that model, and the fake free model doesn't gather longevity either.  The whole idea of asking you to pay every month sets the bar for determination of how good the game is by how long you are willing to play it.  Fake free to play doesn't even think it is worth the cost of one meal a month to play.

They don't require people to play them for a long time, but that is how their business model works... 

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

gw2 was amazing, he also said in his later commentaries why he & his guild no longer play gw2 and mentioned the very same issues lots of others on this forum have brought up. But this topic is not about gw2, its about eso.

MMOs started off requiring people to pay, and people did, for years.  Now, they aren't sustaining themselves easily on that model, and the fake free model doesn't gather longevity either.  The whole idea of asking you to pay every month sets the bar for determination of how good the game is by how long you are willing to play it.  Fake free to play doesn't even think it is worth the cost of one meal a month to play.

They don't require people to play them for a long time, but that is how their business model works... 

This doesn't even make sense to me. 

So, whatever game gets people to pay a sub the longest is the best game? Because they get people to keep pulling that slot machine arm for the longest period of time? Would that mean that you think WoW is one of the best games ever created because it has so many long term subscribers?

It wouldn't be the amount of subscribers.  It would be the longevity of each subscriber.

You don't explain at all about what doesn't make sense about it.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    I think it will be a fine game. I see it as on par with its peers. I certainly don't see it as better than its peers either, just in the same ballpark. I don't see paying a subscription for it. I would pay a box fee and I would use a cash shop, but not a subscription. That's just me though.

Never understand this-you would play it with no sub, but would not play it for 50 cents per day? Either a game is worth playing or not. You would let that little amount of money stop you playing a game you like or you would play a game you don't like because it's free? $15/month is the best bargain for paid entertainment you can find. I do think its BS to have a cash shop in any sub mmo.

This doesn't even make sense to me. 

So, whatever game gets people to pay a sub the longest is the best game? Because they get people to keep pulling that slot machine arm for the longest period of time? Would that mean that you think WoW is one of the best games ever created because it has so many long term subscribers?

It wouldn't be the amount of subscribers.  It would be the longevity of each subscriber.

You don't explain at all about what doesn't make sense about it.

Are you arguing that WoW has a low amount of long term subscribers? I just disagree with you there. I'll bet it has more 3+ year subscribers than any other game on the market. Which... even if it didn't, it would be pretty damn far up on the list for one of the best games ever based on your criteria.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I have not spent a lot of time in this game but from the early few levels I can honestly say this game is everything that is wrong with MMORPG today. Linear, boring, simplistic, holds your hands too much, cliche. There just isn't anything here to hope for a good game unless it completely changes at level 15+.

Sadly I spent all day downloading the game. I have friends in town from out of town the rest of the weekend so I only had a couple hours to play it and it still didn't hold my attention long enough to not use my time on Hearthstone instead.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by Ineveraskforthis

While i do agree the combat can gets kinda bland at time, but isn't it commonly found in every Elder Scrolls game? I mean this ain't witcher or dragon age.

Unlike the solo player ES games ESO is not competing with just two or three decent RPG franchises though. 

The MMO market is heavily oversaturated and the competition cutthroat. Throwing a substandard combat system at players is a very bad idea, especially if the PvE part of your game is generic f2p stuff and you'll rely on RvR being a big hit.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I think the combat is lacking compared to previous TES games. There's this annoying pause on each of my hit.
  • funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by Aeander

And, for him, and others (myself included) it IS amazing.

Angry Joe has never steered me wrong on a game.

A game where you hit max level in a few weeks, just to exist in some tiny, on the rail zones, is amazing to you?  I think I understand why this genre has been stagnant for near a decade now...

It is a fun game for what you pay on it.  If you go into gw2 and expect it to be a main game that you are going to put 40 hours or so a week into it then you may not get a lot out of it.  I find it good for when I am between other games or if I want to fool around for a while.  Blaming people who like GW2 for the downward trend of MMO's is just patently wrong.  For the most part because it is still really new, the other because while WoW itself is solid game people ripping it off again and again is a major problem.  The other being consumers buying any mmo no matter the warning signs about how bad it is going to be.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839

I don't have much to say about it really. All I've seen and read so far has just resulted in a "meh..." for me. What I can say though is, given the pros and cons presented and what I've seen, I'm gonna give this one the 6-month sink or swim, then decide whether or not I want to jump on the wagon.

Isaiah 41:10