Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now D3 is a huge financial success selling 15M, are MMORPGs going to be more like ARPGs?

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-07-diablo-3-sales-hit-15m-as-wow-subs-rise

We already see GW2 (which itself sold pretty well when released) to have more actiony combat, and so does NWN.

Is the trend of MMOs going in the direction of ARPGs?

Now, before anyone says Halo also sold a lot, there are devs moving in that direction too ... Defiance, and Destiny (which is close enough to a MMO, but not quite). So may be FPS is another direction MMO, or MMO-like games will go? May be now MMO is going to splinter .. ARPG-MMO, MOBA-MMO, FPS-MMOs .....

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I sure hope they would keep working on action combat, add some physics in there, collision detection, checking for line of sight on ranged abilities/projectiles, momentum is a fairly new thing...

Of course that would mean a largely instanced gameplay, but I don't mind. As long as I get a game that feels fresh for once.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Quirhid

I sure hope they would keep working on action combat, add some physics in there, collision detection, checking for line of sight on ranged abilities/projectiles, momentum is a fairly new thing...

Of course that would mean a largely instanced gameplay, but I don't mind. As long as I get a game that feels fresh for once.

Star Citizen perhaps?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I don't mind a good ARPG , but there was something about D3 that didn't feel right, I tried the free trial....but something like Path of Exile had a great feel to it, despite a frustrating RNG.  Love to see a true MMO that's sort of like Path of Exile, just expanded immensely
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Star Citizen perhaps?

Perhaps. I'm not holding my breath though.

Originally posted by Entropy14
    I don't mind a good ARPG , but there was something about D3 that didn't feel right, I tried the free trial....but something like Path of Exile had a great feel to it, despite a frustrating RNG.  Love to see a true MMO that's sort of like Path of Exile, just expanded immensely

D3 is tremendous fun on the console playing co-op with friends. The difference is subtle but everyone I know who has played both say the console version is better than the PC version.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Probably some are...I won't be playing those probably although Path of Exile is pretty fun in small doses. I prefer actual pen and paper based CRPGs which also seem to be making a comeback so hopefully both sides can be happy.

As an aside, I wonder how well Diablo 4 will sell? From what I heard a lot of people bought D3 based on loving D2 and being hyped and were tremendously disappointed with D3. Blizzard won't be able to pull that trick again.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

yes, MOBA shows ARPG are thing of the future.

Same does farmville.  That's why every mmorpg should have housing and allow you to grow vegetables in hour home.

It also shows FTP are a thing of the future.  Housing is one of the best way to milk player of their cash.  Sell super vegetables and pig in the cashshop and that'll rack in millions of miliions of dollar.

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

Shooters are the inspiration for the new action RPGS - and games like Ratchet and Clank.  D3 has little to do with it. Even if D3 had totally failed action MMOs would be coming.

A good action MMO feels more 'real'.. I'd expect to see further refinements as the years go by until combat is nearly as good as a single player or group based shooter game.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Lineage Eternal is gonna be D3-ish.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Star Citizen perhaps?

If you like twitchy spaceship combat .. but point well taken. In fact, while i wouldn't KS ... i will definitely follow the game.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Albion Online looks like it will be a full-blown MMO with isometric ARPG style combat. Marvel Heroes is almost there, it just lacks the 'massive' part, although the public areas can hold a fair amount of people. Lineage Eternal is supposed to be out sometime this year (last I heard), and it'll probably be pretty close to a full-on MMO.

So yes, much like how AAA devs are beginning to dip back into first-person dungeon crawlers due to the success of Grimrock, so will they most likely attempt to mimic the success of D3, PoE, and MH.

And I'm very much looking forward to it.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Originally posted by iridescence

As an aside, I wonder how well Diablo 4 will sell? From what I heard a lot of people bought D3 based on loving D2 and being hyped and were tremendously disappointed with D3. Blizzard won't be able to pull that trick again.

15M sales based on hype? I suppose RoS will tell. If RoS also sell millions, no one can say it is due to D2 good will.

Originally posted by newbinator
    Lineage Eternal is gonna be D3-ish.

I am waiting for LE too .. but it seems like vaporware .. i haven't heard anything new or definite about it for a long time.

Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Albion Online looks like it will be a full-blown MMO with isometric ARPG style combat. Marvel Heroes is almost there, it just lacks the 'massive' part, although the public areas can hold a fair amount of people. Lineage Eternal is supposed to be out sometime this year (last I heard), and it'll probably be pretty close to a full-on MMO.

Yes, i play MH too .. I think it is no where as successful as D3 because of the lack of polish. The game is decent, but combat just does not feel as exciting and as smooth as D3. I hope it will improve.

LE is supposed to be out this year? Do they have an official website?

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

Diablo 3 is a good game, but isn't very long considering how long it was in production.  I think people expected it to be more like Diablo 2.  Diablo 1 and 2 were more like Traditional MMOs.  They had a lot of diversity, more classic classes, a darker tone, and many different builds to make the game highly playable.  Trade of items was done through talking with other players in chat and meeting in game.  There was also free for all PvP, looting of player corpses, and the ability to take any loot dropped by monsters (it wasn't divided or rolled for).  It's a good example of the changes video games have gone through from the 90s to present day.  The combat does feel better in Diablo 3 and the audio is nice to have.  It's just a different experience that is simpler and less time consuming/punishing.  I don't believe it will intrude on the MMO space, but I can say I like Diablo 3 more than most MMOs.  The main problem is with it's short story it gets repetitive very quickly and lack of customization it become boring after the first 2 or 3 play throughs.  Even with the difficulty actually becoming fairly hard on the highest difficulty level. 

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Diablo 4 couldn't ever beat D3 because we all got burned by how greedy they are and how artistically bankrupt they've become.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I don't know why people are talking about diablo 4.

We can already see the truth on the expansion sale in a couple of month.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by laokoko

I don't know why people are talking about diablo 4.

We can already see the truth on the expansion sale in a couple of month.

Blizzard had all aces in hand with D3.

D3 as a concept was perfect in a time where short playing sessions, solo challenge  and an armory to brag and view each others avatars is mandatory for success. It even introduced an AH in Diablo.

Blizzard fucked up BIG time though. 

NOT only because of bad drops , NOT because of AH's and trading but because of bad mechanics.

If they had introduced a ONE TIME sell system in the AH's (gear bought on the AH couldn't be traded a second time by making it BoA after being bought), the game would have been an incredible endless experience.

Everyone and his dog would grind to find better gear to sell and do everything to reach that goal. Since the great gear would DISSAPEAR from the trading game, it would invite everyone to keep on playing.

With such a mechanic the trading would adapt to the number of players and a perfect balance would result in endless play.

---> Ros fucked it all up now. No end game as everything that drops after you kill the final boss is meaningless. Worthless even.

D3 RoS will be dead 2 months after its launch as trading is near impossible. D3 will now be remembered as a joke of a game.

Even some Blizzard hypers like Athene said it recently: there is no end game in the upcoming RoS: it is boring as hell....

D4 as a full fledged MMO - but action packed - with a full fledged Gold AH can't come soon enough, but helas it won't be in this decade anymore.

Btw: 15 million copies was due to Blizzard hype. Hearthstone will double that player figure within 10 months. Every Blizzard game gets to 10 million copies, good or bad. And HS is not better than D3 RoS.

Perhaps Blizzard did it on purpose. Everyone back to WoW is their motto lately.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Minecraft sold 35M and I'm way more interested in Everquest Next Landmark and more sandbox games. You already have tons of MMO's leaning toward ARPG games like Priston Tale and Marvel Heroes but they really don't do anything more for me than Diablo 3 or Path of Exile.

You have games like Runescape and Ultima Online with the isometric view and personally I would rather play a full 3D MMORPG.

As far as more actiony combat that does not relate to ARPGs but more to fighting games like Soul Caliber with dodging and positional moves etc so I would say MMOs are drawing more from 3D fighting games with the action combat than ARPGs.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I recon Diablo 3's sales where largely based on how great Diablo 2 was, and that combined with a blizzard tag.

I really want to know how well Reaper of souls will sell, that'll show if D3 is "really" successful.

I'm probably completely wrong though, heh.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I own D3, and i've never gotten thru it, mostly because the game as a whole bored the hell out of me, I hate the fact you have 0 decisions abouyt how your character advances at all. Alot of the fun of diablo 2 was finding a skill build you like that works for you. D3 completly removes this and all your left with is a husk of a action rpg. I think i was the witchdoctor and got as far as the desert part before I just moved on out of sheer bordom. Not to mention the item system sucks with completly random stats on everything. In most Arpgs you can clearly tell what gear is meant for what class by the req's on it. Again spendable stat points, and class-based gear were completly thrown out the window.

D3 is by far the biggest waste of money I spent on a game in recent years. The only game that would top it would have been bioshock Infinite, with its 7 hour main story and 0 replay value whatsoever. Thankfully i didn't buy bioshock infinite I got it by other means, and I personally laugh my ass off at people who spent 60 bucks on that game.

For me to buy the d3 xpac they would have to majorly change the game to make it more like diablo 2, otherwise I have no interest in it personally, because D3 was byfar the most boring action rpg I have played.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Magnetia
    Diablo 4 couldn't ever beat D3 because we all got burned by how greedy they are and how artistically bankrupt they've become.

Which is a complete load of nonsense. Artistically bankrupt? I'll agree that the writing was sub-par, and the dialogue was George Lucas level terrible, but other than a couple spots (Rita Repulsa / Maghda) the game design & visuals especially are top notch. They managed to update the look of the game while keeping in spirit with previous entries in the series; plus it did away with the moronic light radius mechanic so the artwork could actually be seen. I love the atmosphere in D3, with the opening of Act 3 one of my favorite areas in any game, ever.

But you are after all entitled to your opinion, no matter how silly and tainted by nostalgia it is.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet
    Originally posted by Magnetia

Which is a complete load of nonsense. Artistically bankrupt? I'll agree that the writing was sub-par, and the dialogue was George Lucas level terrible, but other than a couple spots (Rita Repulsa / Maghda) the game design & visuals especially are top notch. They managed to update the look of the game while keeping in spirit with previous entries in the series; plus it did away with the moronic light radius mechanic so the artwork could actually be seen. I love the atmosphere in D3, with the opening of Act 3 one of my favorite areas in any game, ever.

But you are after all entitled to your opinion, no matter how silly and tainted by nostalgia it is.

He is just spamming copy/pasting from the internet. Most of these guys never played the game seriously. Like the one above, he made it to Act 2 as a lvl 14.

You can't evaluate games when not playing them, but on the web it looks cool to hate.Hence fake accounts everywhere.

D3 had it all, but there was and is clearly a lack of coordination at Blizzard. And it has NOTHING to do with different skill levels or the AH or the loot as such.

It is the overview that is the problem and frankly I hate noobs comments who never even touched the game seriously.

Whacky internet.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-07-diablo-3-sales-hit-15m-as-wow-subs-rise

We already see GW2 (which itself sold pretty well when released) to have more actiony combat, and so does NWN.

Is the trend of MMOs going in the direction of ARPGs?

Age of Conan was action combat too and it released 6 years ago -- unrelated to ARPGs
  • BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by iridescence
    Yeah that's what people said when Diablo 3 sold 2 million pre-orders and then 6.5 million copies in the first week. It was all hype.

Only problem is.. despite these people telling us how horrible D3 is and how nobody likes it, it has still sold another 8.5 million copies since then.

Fact is, it's a staggering popular game, with a noisy bunch of whiners slamming it on the internet.