Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe reviews ESO Beta

BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

He has NDA permission to review the title and already has:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upE802rZl7Q

Comments

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I agree with him, it should be free.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

I agree with much of what he noted but feel his play time was too limited to really grant any scope. NDA prevents comment regarding my impressions of some of the same content issues.

• RynzoRynzo Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Sweet, I'll check it out.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

disappointing

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

No where in the video did he say it should be free, what video where you watching...

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    That's why I am a fan of his reviews. He calls it as it is, always has & always will.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Originally posted by Nevulus
    That's why I am a fan of his reviews. He calls it as it is, always has & always will.

he said guild wars 2 was amazing.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Pretty good review.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by Mpfive
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

No where in the video did he say it should be free, what video where you watching...

I believe he was talking about the Imperial Race being part of the CE.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by muffins89

He probably thinks that compared to ESO, it really is amazing. And at a better value.

• shadylurkershadylurker Member Posts: 47

Its one of the best MMO's out... Not for hardcore players probably trolling mmorpg...

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    terrible review, angry joe needs to get a real job IMHO
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by thunderC
    terrible review, angry joe needs to get a real job IMHO

Really? I am enjoying the Beta but i kinda agree with his review. I think it was a good review and not like the pointless comments we see everywhere.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by BeansnBread

He probably thinks that compared to ESO, it really is amazing. And at a better value.

Except he no longer plays GW2.  He left the game and his guild disbanded.  And he wasn't paying a dime for GW2, either.  So it wasn't like he left because he didn't feel like paying for it anymore.  

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    They're pretty spot-on IMO.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Except he no longer plays GW2.  He left the game and his guild disbanded.  And he wasn't paying a dime for GW2, either.  So it wasn't like he left because he didn't feel like paying for it anymore.  

Would he have to play a game indefinitely for you to accept that he liked it?

He'd have to play it a bit longer than he did.  Most people leave MMOs because, at some point, they get bored of them.  If the game was a true 10/10, as he graded it, I'd expect him to have lasted longer.  And again, he wasn't paying a dime for the game after buying the box.  So he wouldn't be able to use the "Well, I didn't feel like paying $15 a month for it" excuse like people use with sub games.  If you leave a game that you aren't paying a dime for, there must be some issues.  

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that once he hit cap, he realized, like many others have, that the game falls short.  

Also, some of you guys need to re-watch his review of ESO.  He actually WAS saying that he thinks the game would be amazing as a F2P game.  He made a great, valid point about the Collector's Edition BS that Zenimax is pulling, but the end of his review is not about that.  He simply states he thinks the game would be great if you didn't have to pay a sub for it.  Which doesn't really make sense to me.  Either a game is good or bad on its own merits.  

Also, I'm a fan of Angry Joe's reviews.  I don't always agree with everything he says, but he's a pretty sharp guy and he always makes very good points.  The point about ESO possibly being great if only it was F2P wasn't one of his better points.  

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Don't you ever wonder how long any of these reviewers play these games. I always see them go on about how the game hooked them and how it grabbed or sucked them in and they're very excited for the release. You see this several times a year. How long do you think he, or any of them, will play ESO before dropping it for Wildstar and the AA and then EQ:N and then...?

After a manner I suppose it is just part and parcel of the job, but on the flip side I don't really take their dedication, or rather lack of, as an indicator. They're paid to keep up interest in their sites and generate revenue. Do you really take any of them that seriously? I take them more like movie reviewers. They hopefully provide some useful information, perspective, and a glimpse so I can go make up my own mind.

Very good point, and I completely agree.  I generally don't take any reviewers words as gospel if they are only playing a small portion of the game, whether they lauded it or trashed it.  I prefer the reviews that simply give you an overview of what to expect and what the game systems are about.  I know these guys get paid to do review after review after review, so they really can't afford to play a game all the way through to endgame, but it doesn't make for the most trustworthy source.  Angry Joe even said he only made it to level 9.  

That being said, IF I was a game developer and was creating an MMO, you can be damn sure that I'd make sure the first 20 levels or so are AMAZING.  Games that take too long to get interesting, ESO being one of them by the comments I've heard, really hurt themselves in these reviews.  One thing I've grown to hate is people defending a game by saying, "After the first X levels, it really begins to open up."  That's a big red flag to me nowadays. I just want a developer to say, "Okay, the game has started, now just GO...get out there and explore and figure it out on your own."  

I am no fan of GW2, but I did like the way ArenaNet at least allowed you to go off pretty much right from the start and get into trouble.  I'd like to see that from more MMOs.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by DMKano

Watching his video, the animations - I guess true to all ES games,  = bad.

But yeah without knowing what AvAvA offers - I don't think that many people would be even looking at this.

IMO as Joe said, AvAvA will be the life or death of TESO.

This.  I'm not usually a PvPer only but I think I will need to be to enjoy this game.

• moravamorava Member UncommonPosts: 31

And how do we know that that are facts and not your imagination?

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    He's pretty much said exactly as most have been saying. It's another generic MMO where you're paying way too much for. Pay gated a race and going back on what their core value is should be another sign of not such a bright future. They will sell a lot of boxes because there are a lot of people stuck in the "hey look a new MMO" phase again but unfortunately eat up the same garbage again and again.
  • shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Originally posted by shadylurker

Its one of the best MMO's out... Not for hardcore players probably trolling mmorpg...

Tiny zones with a max level that you hit in 5 minutes... I guess if that is the best that the MMO genre can do nowadays, we might as well walk away.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Entinerint
    They're pretty spot-on IMO.

well, sometimes yes and sometimes no.

For instance that one guy who said "this is pretty boring" (to be honest they all sound like kids) goes on to complain that he feels the game is about talk to a guy, go out and kill one thing and run back with "nothing to do on the way".

That's completely untrue as that is the whole point of how the quests are set up, you find them "along the way". You find things along the way. Heck, tonight I actually discovered a whole activity "along the way" and never got to my quest objective. Which is one of the few times I've really felt the "elder scrolls feeling".

My guess is he opened his map, ran to the circle without paying attention, and ran back.

There definitely was some truth to the impressions but some things were just wrong.

And I disagree with Joe about "old school". I prefer old school. I don't like the "new school" everyone gets a prize for showing up.

If you go to a chest and someone else beat you to it then "tough". You don't get the prize.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Quit that crap after 5mins.

All i got from that "review" was some guy playing the beta with a bunch of other folks on VoIP, going "f*ck f*ck!!", "dude, dude!", "awesome, dude!" all the way, showing their pathetic eVip attitude.

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374

For a genre built upon the idea of keeping people interested over the long term?  Yes.  At the very least, more than GW2 has been around.