Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Angry Joe reviews ESO Beta

BraindomeBraindome Posts: 764Member Uncommon

He has NDA permission to review the title and already has:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upE802rZl7Q

Comments

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Las Vegas, NVPosts: 606Member Uncommon

I agree with him, it should be free.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Privacy Preferred, NCPosts: 1,059Member

I agree with much of what he noted but feel his play time was too limited to really grant any scope. NDA prevents comment regarding my impressions of some of the same content issues.

• RynzoRynzo scottsdale, AZPosts: 13Member
    Sweet, I'll check it out.
  • TokkenTokken Portland, ORPosts: 1,153Member Uncommon

disappointing

Brad McQuaid Quote:  So, God-willing, the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen team and I will be able to make or allow that magic to happen a third time, and it too will be not just a great game, but also that catalyst again that brings people together, sometimes out of their comfort zone, learning how to work together not just tactically in a virtual world but also socially in the real world.
  • MpfiveMpfive LondonPosts: 295Member
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

No where in the video did he say it should be free, what video where you watching...

• NevulusNevulus Miami Beach, FLPosts: 1,288Member Uncommon
    That's why I am a fan of his reviews. He calls it as it is, always has & always will.
  • muffins89muffins89 Yakima, WAPosts: 1,306Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Nevulus
    That's why I am a fan of his reviews. He calls it as it is, always has & always will.

he said guild wars 2 was amazing.

I think the prostitute mod corrupted your game files man. -elhefen

• newbinatornewbinator LA, CAPosts: 780Member
    Pretty good review.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff Writer St. Charles, MOPosts: 460MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon
    Originally posted by Mpfive
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

No where in the video did he say it should be free, what video where you watching...

I believe he was talking about the Imperial Race being part of the CE.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,495Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by muffins89

He probably thinks that compared to ESO, it really is amazing. And at a better value.

• shadylurkershadylurker goodyear, AZPosts: 47Member

Its one of the best MMO's out... Not for hardcore players probably trolling mmorpg...

• thunderCthunderC miami flPosts: 463Member Uncommon
    terrible review, angry joe needs to get a real job IMHO
  • skyline385skyline385 BangalorePosts: 564Member
    Originally posted by thunderC
    terrible review, angry joe needs to get a real job IMHO

Really? I am enjoying the Beta but i kinda agree with his review. I think it was a good review and not like the pointless comments we see everywhere.

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,494Member Uncommon

Watching his video, the animations - I guess true to all ES games,  = bad.

But yeah without knowing what AvAvA offers - I don't think that many people would be even looking at this.

IMO as Joe said, AvAvA will be the life or death of TESO.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Mesa, AZPosts: 1,090Member
    Originally posted by BeansnBread

He probably thinks that compared to ESO, it really is amazing. And at a better value.

Except he no longer plays GW2.  He left the game and his guild disbanded.  And he wasn't paying a dime for GW2, either.  So it wasn't like he left because he didn't feel like paying for it anymore.  

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,187Member Uncommon

You're only reinforcing his point. GW2 is amazing and for just $60. It doesn't gate any races or ability to create a play a race on your server behind a paygate.

• EntinerintEntinerint brooklyn, NYPosts: 843Member Uncommon
    They're pretty spot-on IMO.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,495Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Except he no longer plays GW2.  He left the game and his guild disbanded.  And he wasn't paying a dime for GW2, either.  So it wasn't like he left because he didn't feel like paying for it anymore.  

Would he have to play a game indefinitely for you to accept that he liked it?

Don't you ever wonder how long any of these reviewers play these games. I always see them go on about how the game hooked them and how it grabbed or sucked them in and they're very excited for the release. You see this several times a year. How long do you think he, or any of them, will play ESO before dropping it for Wildstar and the AA and then EQ:N and then...?

After a manner I suppose it is just part and parcel of the job, but on the flip side I don't really take their dedication, or rather lack of, as an indicator. They're paid to keep up interest in their sites and generate revenue. Do you really take any of them that seriously? I take them more like movie reviewers. They hopefully provide some useful information, perspective, and a glimpse so I can go make up my own mind.

Would he have to play a game indefinitely for you to accept that he liked it?

He'd have to play it a bit longer than he did.  Most people leave MMOs because, at some point, they get bored of them.  If the game was a true 10/10, as he graded it, I'd expect him to have lasted longer.  And again, he wasn't paying a dime for the game after buying the box.  So he wouldn't be able to use the "Well, I didn't feel like paying $15 a month for it" excuse like people use with sub games.  If you leave a game that you aren't paying a dime for, there must be some issues.  

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that once he hit cap, he realized, like many others have, that the game falls short.  

Also, some of you guys need to re-watch his review of ESO.  He actually WAS saying that he thinks the game would be amazing as a F2P game.  He made a great, valid point about the Collector's Edition BS that Zenimax is pulling, but the end of his review is not about that.  He simply states he thinks the game would be great if you didn't have to pay a sub for it.  Which doesn't really make sense to me.  Either a game is good or bad on its own merits.  

Also, I'm a fan of Angry Joe's reviews.  I don't always agree with everything he says, but he's a pretty sharp guy and he always makes very good points.  The point about ESO possibly being great if only it was F2P wasn't one of his better points.  

I think it will be a fine game. I see it as on par with its peers. I certainly don't see it as better than its peers either, just in the same ballpark. I don't see paying a subscription for it. I would pay a box fee and I would use a cash shop, but not a subscription. That's just me though.
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Don't you ever wonder how long any of these reviewers play these games. I always see them go on about how the game hooked them and how it grabbed or sucked them in and they're very excited for the release. You see this several times a year. How long do you think he, or any of them, will play ESO before dropping it for Wildstar and the AA and then EQ:N and then...?

After a manner I suppose it is just part and parcel of the job, but on the flip side I don't really take their dedication, or rather lack of, as an indicator. They're paid to keep up interest in their sites and generate revenue. Do you really take any of them that seriously? I take them more like movie reviewers. They hopefully provide some useful information, perspective, and a glimpse so I can go make up my own mind.

Very good point, and I completely agree.  I generally don't take any reviewers words as gospel if they are only playing a small portion of the game, whether they lauded it or trashed it.  I prefer the reviews that simply give you an overview of what to expect and what the game systems are about.  I know these guys get paid to do review after review after review, so they really can't afford to play a game all the way through to endgame, but it doesn't make for the most trustworthy source.  Angry Joe even said he only made it to level 9.  

That being said, IF I was a game developer and was creating an MMO, you can be damn sure that I'd make sure the first 20 levels or so are AMAZING.  Games that take too long to get interesting, ESO being one of them by the comments I've heard, really hurt themselves in these reviews.  One thing I've grown to hate is people defending a game by saying, "After the first X levels, it really begins to open up."  That's a big red flag to me nowadays. I just want a developer to say, "Okay, the game has started, now just GO...get out there and explore and figure it out on your own."  

I am no fan of GW2, but I did like the way ArenaNet at least allowed you to go off pretty much right from the start and get into trouble.  I'd like to see that from more MMOs.

• MardukkMardukk Posts: 1,556Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano

Watching his video, the animations - I guess true to all ES games,  = bad.

But yeah without knowing what AvAvA offers - I don't think that many people would be even looking at this.

IMO as Joe said, AvAvA will be the life or death of TESO.

This.  I'm not usually a PvPer only but I think I will need to be to enjoy this game.

• moravamorava svilajnacPosts: 29Member Uncommon

And how do we know that that are facts and not your imagination?

• HeretiqueHeretique Posts: 1,101Member Uncommon
    He's pretty much said exactly as most have been saying. It's another generic MMO where you're paying way too much for. Pay gated a race and going back on what their core value is should be another sign of not such a bright future. They will sell a lot of boxes because there are a lot of people stuck in the "hey look a new MMO" phase again but unfortunately eat up the same garbage again and again.

Originally posted by salsa41
    are you have problem ?