Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a new(ish) grindy MMO

AlkavenAlkaven Member Posts: 25

TLDR:   New  ;  PvE  ;  Mandatory grouping  ;   Dedicated Healer Class  ;  Grindy

I read the stickies at the top of this forum, but a lot of it is not very recent information, so I thought I would open a thread and query anyone reading to see if I can find something.

Recently, SOE shut down 4 MMO's, including the one I had been playing since release: Wizardry Online.  As a result, I'm looking for a new MMO to play - but I'm finding it very difficult to find something similar to what would hold my interest.  My most favorite MMO (up until they destroyed it) was FFXI.

These are the summary features I'm looking for in priority order:

• Needs to be either an upcoming MMO or a recent one (2012 or newer).
  • PvE-focus. (I don't mind PvP as a side thing)
  • Needs to require (or heavily focus) the need to group or party to advance or accomplish a bulk of the game's content (not just end-game).
  • Needs to have a healer or significant support role, class, or skill-system.
  • Needs to be grindy (unreachable level cap preferred) with some low-high game content.
  • No hand-holding quest-line to max level.
Example games that are NOT the above:
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic - It has healer classes, sure, but it's basically a level 1->50 solo trip.  Not interested.
  • EVE Online - Too old.
  • Wildstar - As I understand it, this has your typical solo to max level trip.  Not interested.
  • Black Desert Online - No healer class
  • Final Fantasy XIV - Same thing, solo trip to max level.  Not interested.  (However, I did enjoy the pre-ARR version)
  • Path of Exile - No healer class.
  • Guild Wars 2 - Soloable to max level, and there's no dedicated healer or support class.
At the time, Wizardry Online was my only option after FFXI went easy-mode, but as I said, that's shutting down now. : Does anybody have any suggestions?

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Needs to be either an upcoming MMO or a recent one (2012 or newer).
    Doesn't exist with that requirement.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    Just looking at your criteria nothing is coming to mind for me of the 10-20 mmo's i've played. If I were to guess I'd guess you should be looking into Asian mmo's.  Korean/Chinese might have something for you? Although the majority of those are again going to be solo based. Sorry not much help...

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Good luck on finding a game that you have to party up with people...I nt know of any game that makes it Non soloable to lvl....But with all the things you want...The best thing i can come up with is Rift....
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Tera is pretty grindy. Pretty much any Asian MMO is just a basic Trinity and huge grind.

• phoenix_genma_kenphoenix_genma_ken Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Tera is pretty grindy. Pretty much any Asian MMO is just a basic Trinity and huge grind.

Tera grindy ?

lol...that game is not grindy at all it way  too easy

• plutosamsplutosams Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I don't think the game you are requesting exists...a few come close (TERA, FFXIV), but ultimately don't meet your requirements. 
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Yeh, TERA is your closest bet. You can solo to max.. no recent MMO forces you to group to progress character level.. but there's plenty of reasons to group because of the BAMs, which you'll need to avoid most of the time if you solo.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • phoenix_genma_kenphoenix_genma_ken Member Posts: 34

Aion might be the game for you

its not 2012 but its still pretty for an mmo even today and 4.0 is awesome

you will have your grind there,trinity and dungeons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd_e7faZJYk

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Considering that in FF14 you have to team up to progress as dungeons are critical to the game,  I don't see how it's a solo trip. Otherwise no dice because no other game requires grouping. And what does EVE online being too old have to do with anything. Unlike other games it's engine gets updated/redone every couple years.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen will be your game, if you're ready to wait couple of years.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

Other than that, i have no idea, but let me know if you find one.

• AlkavenAlkaven Member Posts: 25

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully someone knows a hidden gem somewhere.

Originally posted by Torcip Considering that in FF14 you have to team up to progress as dungeons are critical to the game,  I don't see how it's a solo trip. Otherwise no dice because no other game requires grouping. And what does EVE online being too old have to do with anything. Unlike other games it's engine gets updated/redone every couple years.

Unfortunately, you can get to max level in FFXIV entirely solo (it's very quest-driven, as I understand it). I've seen people play it, and I played it up until I was unhappy with the impending ARR changes. It's not for me.

I thoroughly enjoyed the original FFXIV, especially the unique skill-up proccing system. Was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the audience would not stand for it. :(

Originally posted by deniter Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen will be your game, if you're ready to wait couple of years. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen Other than that, i have no idea, but let me know if you find one.

I messaged Brad McQuaid through his kickstarter and asked him if there was grind or necessary grouping to achieve cap, and he inferred that there would not be those things in Pantheon. : It seems he wants to make a game like the original EQ, but more casual - which is what WoW and every iteration of MMO was after it. There's also an undead race, which makes me suspect it's going to be more like WoW.

I'll be watching Pantheon, but I don't plan to back it. Hopefully there will be something more to my liking out there.

• radagast777radagast777 Member Posts: 80
    Pantheon is going to have required grouping for the most part with groups of 6-8 even for trivial trash mobs. you could solo some basic mobs if you are super geared though for a challenge. There will be very few quests in the game, and the ones there are will be epic quests. you get most of your xp just from grinding and exploring. special skills and gear will drop from mobs and gear will keep its meaning for a long time because it will be horizontal leveling ( less levels but they take a long time). There will be a severe death penalty. And there will be different climates and every time you enter a climate you have to build up resistances and attune yourself through different tasks before you can effectively fight harder stuff but lose the resistances to the previous place.

Originally posted by radagast777 you get most of your xp just from grinding and exploring. special skills and gear will drop from mobs and gear will keep its meaning for a long time because it will be horizontal leveling ( less levels but they take a long time).

I challenge you to ask Brad directly through kickstarter about the "long time" part then, because as I said, through messages, he's inferred to me that that will not be the case. On his reddit AMA it says: "While we're making a challenging game, but you won't need to grind or camp or do a dungeon for hours on end. Most of Pantheon is designed to be played in 1-2 hour increments."

I like grind - I just do. It's not for everyone, sure. Some people think it's just tedious. For me, I find it keeps people together. I'm personally not bored after doing something "once" with a group of people. When everyone is farming for this one item, or working towards the next level, the goal doesn't matter as much to me as the actual activity itself.

Pantheon is probably the closest to what I'm looking for, but since Brad has basically hinted that it will just be another casual trip to max level, I've no interest in backing it. But the real test will be waiting 2 months after it comes out and seeing if over half the server population has hit cap already.

• radagast777radagast777 Member Posts: 80
    I also played FFXI and  prefer a grind too... im used to being able to stand in one spot and just grinding a camp all day.
  • plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    Try Eldevin out. It's browser based mmorpg that has crafting/gathering/grinding/questing/dungeons/pvp AND you can play it from anywhere on any computer with java and a mouse :D F2P

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• cenen7cenen7 Member UncommonPosts: 55

last game i tried out was DAOC origins. its a f2p server for daoc.  Though i subbed to the real daoc after trying origins and though it was less buggy, there was no one to group with.  Also the whole daoc atmosphere is very dark and depressing, imo

if you stick with origins, there's a group bonus and everyone seems to group (you will see "level 2 ___ lfg " in chat), unlike most games.  its grindy and there are heal classes. 

• AndreasLAndreasL Member UncommonPosts: 5

only that comes to mind is the aurora world

think the alpha was sometime 2013

it forces you to group and grind dungeons and it forces the group to have atleast a healer and a tank and a set of damagers.

downsides is it focuses alot around pvp events and its hard to find dungeon groups unless your a top healer or tank.

plus sides (for you atleast)(downsides for me) really cant be soloed is waay to grindy and cash shoppers have a hughe advantage to casual players (people willing to work long and hard catches up)

pretty low player base

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Nitth   Needs to be either an upcoming MMO or a recent one (2012 or newer).
    Doesn't exist with that requirement.  
     You know nothing about the MMO market then.

Yet you fail to list one.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• kimahriskimahris Member Posts: 55
    Rose online..its older then 2 years but irs really a good game if you can handle the cartonny graphic. Played that on and opff but always quit due to the lack of healers and hard to find party for aoe grinding. That game is really well done for that type its grindy,need a healer for everything and the buff healer provide just makes them NEED. Was too lazsy to multi a healer+another class . Anyway give it a shot if your not playing anything . Its oldcschool grindy and you need  a healer. Hit me up if your gonna try it out im gonna start once again if I can find a descent group of dedicated people.

Unfortunately, Rose Online is ancient by this point. :

I'm thinking Nitth might actually be correct.  It's very unfortunate that Wizardry Online got shut down.  I don't know why the major audience demands single-player and a reachable level cap.

I guess in the meantime I will play some oldschool RPGs to keep me entertained until something comes along.  Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Newest that I can think of that might come close to the description would be Perfect World. But it is not super new. few years old. Definitely grindy. Takes years to get to level cap if you even can. It has a territory war style pvp system. I only got up to the 40s though so I can't tell you too much from my own experience. But it was on a cleric and they are definitely the most desired healers with their 100% rez.

Probably not what you were hoping for but that is the only one that comes to mind. Not sure about their other games. My guess would be that they are also grindy but not sure where they would fit on the rest of your list.

All die, so die well.

• kimahriskimahris Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

Newest that I can think of that might come close to the description would be Perfect World. But it is not super new. few years old. Definitely grindy. Takes years to get to level cap if you even can. It has a territory war style pvp system. I only got up to the 40s though so I can't tell you too much from my own experience. But it was on a cleric and they are definitely the most desired healers with their 100% rez.

Probably not what you were hoping for but that is the only one that comes to mind. Not sure about their other games. My guess would be that they are also grindy but not sure where they would fit on the rest of your list.

That game is just quest hub ...you get to 80 after clicking npc and follling what they want everywhere. More walking then killing.

• Gither79Gither79 Member UncommonPosts: 55

try this game out....its not new but its fun....

http://welcome.megaten.marvelous-usa.com/

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by Alkaven

Yah.  I'm a bit bored of the quest hub scene.  :

You're not alone. I've been bouncing between Tera and Aion, but leveling is meaningless as you can hit the cap so quick, then it's just an end game gear treadmill. Not that I'm not having some fun, as I most certainly am, but they are definitely not places I would call "home".