Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this go free to play in about a year?

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Money is no object for me if the game is fun, and to me it is much more fun compared to the free to play mmos I have played so I will happily pay subscription for ESO.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Husvik
    Originally posted by Rusque

Can't make a call this early.

TES has a big following, if they have enough subs they won't likely go F2P. Have no idea how this one will play out, esp with console players involved in the mix.

Yes they have a huge following of single player gamers who are not used to the sub concept.

I think allot of the reasons SWTOR went f2p is a massive following of bioware single player fans don't want the pay monthly, specially when you aren't playing for a week or two then you feel "forced" (no pun intended) to play, yeah F2P is without question going to happen at some point.

Most of WoW's initial fanbase came from their SPG audience and were "not used to the sub concept" either. In fact, most of them had probably never played an MMO in their lives. Didn't make much diffirence to WoW's initial sub growth, did it ?

It's not the payment model that determines the success of the game. The game determines the success of the payment model.

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710

Simple question for those who may be uniformed of how these games operate. I wouldn't put it past ESO to further try and cash grab lifetime subs over and above box sales on what they know full well be free to play in about a year.

So within a year give or take a few months either side.

I sure as shit hope not.  I want to pay a sub.  Reason being, its better quality and quantity.  I hate F2P games.  Loathe them very much.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323
    Every moderm mmo has, why will this be any different.
  • st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155

Absolutely.  

I'd probably guess in the 12-18 month time frame it will go F2P.  The ONLY reason I say it won't in the 6-12 month time frame is because of the fan base that surrounds it.  However, once that wears off it will end up just like SW:TOR and every other sub-par MMO that has been released in the past few years.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by Calven
    Originally posted by sevitoth

Yes. That's what all p2p MMOs do now. Get that initial box sale and subscription money, then go f2p in a year. Get used to it.

Get used to it? If you think this sort of business model is acceptable then, by all means, 'get used to it'. The only reason why this happens is because we, the consumers, allow them to do so.

That's the problem, people feel like they have too, for some it's all about being there at launch which is cool.

For me though "naaawww" this is getting to be too easy a routine for publishers, I'm not contributing to this act anymore. One issue for me is one of my kids, but i'm not influencing him either way, i was there i know how exciting new games can be.

It's this whole "play" they put on now, it has to stop.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Without a doubt, yes.  I'll be playing it regardless.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

If it does than it's because the three way faction PVP failed to hold people long term.  Good or bad they are counting on PVP to hold the subs past the first 30 days as there won't be enough PVE content especially larger group to do it with PVE alone.  I personally think that's not a good strategy for what has always been a single player IP but we will see if it pays off for them or not.

They may also surprise us and do what no other sub based game has managed to in the last 5 years or so and release actual content the first month rather than just bug fixes.  If they can get on a content schedule and keep to it even if PVP doesn't pan out like they are hoping it could work out for them.  if they let those skip to the back burner and focus only on bug squashing for the first few months than not so much.  It's a lot harder to get a sub back than to keep it and 3-4 weeks when you have seen the entire PVE world, the PVP doesn't interest you for whatever reason and there is no new content coming out to play with you are likely not going to keep your sub going.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Iselin
    ...and give us this day, our daily F2P thread...

and lead us not into monthly rent payments for an online game...

Give us instead paid DLC .....

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Simple question for those who may be uniformed of how these games operate. I wouldn't put it past ESO to further try and cash grab lifetime subs over and above box sales on what they know full well be free to play in about a year.

Its a simple formula.

Famous RPG IP made into an MMORPG. Most IP fans don't play MMOs and may still buy the game for the lore and story, pray that many of those fans are going to be willing to pay to play that story every month and that it will last long enough to bring in enough actual MMO players that the game can sustain itself, providing they can hold even them.

Once the story is done, what is left for TES fans? PvP and raids are not for SRPG players. Can the base PvE game still offer them anything? Not with this design. NDA means I must leave out the details of why.

The question of when its going to be F2P comes down to how long it will take most people to blow through the story. As Bioware learned the hard way, their thinking it would take longer than 6 months for people to finish their stories turned into just a few weeks and more than a few people did the storylines of 3 characters in just a few months.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• noluknoluk Member UncommonPosts: 22

No because something that provides entertainment for 40+ hours a month (usually far more) should and is worth the cost of two hours of labor.  Given the cost of a movie, I think the right game can charge far more than 15 dollars a month and have subscribers.  What will be joyful is when a game goes ftp and the same people cry about pay to win items or content they can't access.  Because FTP games are supported by people who pay far more than an monthly subscription and they do not invest hundreds of dollars in pets and nice costumes.  They invest hundreds of dollars to be better than someone else who doesn't spend.  Let me know how FTP movies and food work out for you later on in life.  Someday someone will realize that leisure activities are one of life's major expenses and develop an online entertainment that caters to it.  This is all relevant to nothing because of consoles and any agreements and profit sharing contracts they have signed with them.  But I am sure somewhere Bethesda has several employees reading and waiting on input from MMORPG.com posters so they can plan their companies financial future.

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    They are launching with the infrastructure for F2P, can't believe peeps would even click No?

So you created a poll and then you're shocked that anyone picked the option that differs from your own opinion? What was the point of this poll again? Every time I come to this website there is a new thread about ESO going f2p. Jesus christ people, it's not even released yet. Why do you even care if it will go f2p in a year? At least wait until you've played it, or at least until it's available to everyone before you make these retarded claims.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    The good question is not will it go free to play in a year, but - so what?
  • PGrimmPGrimm Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I hope that it does not. these last  few games coming out, will be the make it or break it for me, and this genre.  I understand not everyone has a job and can afford 10-20 bucks a month on subscriptions.  But I like them.  I am tired of all these free games that a, doesn't end up being free, and b  plainly, they suck.. no depth, no immersion.  What i don't understand,  is fine obviously there is a market for the free games.  Just like there is a market for premium subscription games.  But, why do, a lot of people cry  cry cry  to make every game free to play.  You have plenty to choose from,  go play them  and stop this campaigning to make  every game ftp. even the ones  you would not touch anyways, free,   Can  you guys please  just let us Old timers, enjoy the types of games  that we want too, before we die off??  I mean come on, you guys are stuck with rinse / repeat games for the rest of yours and you seem to enjoy it.  I don't listen to 50's music,  but I don't go around making  everyone listen to 80's music and forcing developers to only make 50's style music.  So can we  just all  get off this band wagon of making every game ftp... it works  for some,  it doesn't  for others..
  • CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339

F2P?  No

B2P? Yes

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Not f2p, but rather b2p. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

No reason at all why it should go F2P. And I don't believe they will.

Crucially Zenimax are not a public company.

If they do change direction - and I am not sure they will - I hope they would opt for paid DLC + premium membership rather than some form of cash shop micro-transaction stuff. (Be happier if they went DLC from day 1 but oh well).

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by PGrimm
    I hope that it does not. these last  few games coming out, will be the make it or break it for me, and this genre.  I understand not everyone has a job and can afford 10-20 bucks a month on subscriptions.  But I like them.  I am tired of all these free games that a, doesn't end up being free, and b  plainly, they suck.. no depth, no immersion.  What i don't understand,  is fine obviously there is a market for the free games.  Just like there is a market for premium subscription games.  But, why do, a lot of people cry  cry cry  to make every game free to play.  You have plenty to choose from,  go play them  and stop this campaigning to make  every game ftp. even the ones  you would not touch anyways, free,   Can  you guys please  just let us Old timers, enjoy the types of games  that we want too, before we die off??  I mean come on, you guys are stuck with rinse / repeat games for the rest of yours and you seem to enjoy it.  I don't listen to 50's music,  but I don't go around making  everyone listen to 80's music and forcing developers to only make 50's style music.  So can we  just all  get off this band wagon of making every game ftp... it works  for some,  it doesn't  for others..

You seem to be missing the point. The sub games like SWTOR that end up going F2P are doing so BECAUSE they lack the depth you are looking for. A gam launching as a subscription does not mean its better in any way than a royal PoS game. So many people KNOW the game will be F2P because of that very reason. Yes it had a great budget, yes its using a famous IP but it lacks the depth required for a long term MMO unless you plan on PvPing all day long in the same zone.

Too much focus on end game PvP and developing content for 3 different factions instead of creating a world everyone plays in, with content everyone can do.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

+1

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Bunnyking
    Not f2p, but rather b2p. 

why? Zenimax must get somehow money

In both case we'll get P2W cash shop ,it is better with F2P

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by PGrimm

I agree with you here. I've yet to play a single free to play game that was worth a shit to me. Granted, I know this just ultimately comes down to opinion but really, I haven't found a single one. Also, anyone should be able to afford $10 a month. $10 is literally nothing in the timespan of an entire month. Don't have a job? Go ask your neighbors for $10 to mow their grass or something. It's really not that difficult, and what it comes down to is people being greedy and/or lazy and just wanting things handed over to them for free. The way I see it, it costs time and money to make games so there should be a box price to compensate for said resource use. MMOs in particular require ongoing server maintenance as well, which is why they charge a monthly fee. This is logical, not a conspiracy like all these f2p enthusiasts would have you believe. The only viable argument is how much they charge you per month, but even if they are overcharging.. it's ten dollars folks. I can spend more than that at a drive through fast food restaurant.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Arya Serious?

:D

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I was wondering if the mods have a way of combining the threads and comments around if this will go free to play in 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 1 year, or beyond 1 year including if it should have been free to play at launch so that we can focus on other topics every once in a while. Not that I don't find this daily topic super exciting in every forum on this site lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Quite possibly, so buy and play now before the F2P hoards turn it into a solo RPG.
  • PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

I believe it will go f2p... The only game worths a subscription for me is EVE Online.

This discussion has been closed.