Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this go free to play in about a year?

Comments

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Yes .. it will go F2P. I honestly don't see how it would not. I can't be sure it will be with in 1 year, but my guess is that it will be fairly close to that.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Iselin
    ...and give us this day, our daily F2P thread...

and lead us not into monthly rent payments for an online game...

Unfortunately, business software (i.e. where the REAL money is) is solidly moving to a "rent per usage" payment model. Paying a subscription to use Microsoft Office is already a reality (Office 365). Web-based apps are pushing hard in that direction as well.

The subscription model in games is not dead by any means, it's simply evolving.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Possibly Buy to Play with the option of subscription for full access.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Unfortunately, business software (i.e. where the REAL money is) is solidly moving to a "rent per usage" payment model. Paying a subscription to use Microsoft Office is already a reality (Office 365). Web-based apps are pushing hard in that direction as well.

Add all Adobe products to that list - it's now called Creative Cloud. I'm a renter there because I've always kept-up with their updates so it makes sense for me (cheaper actually) got an awesome deal last fall on Lightroom + Photoshop.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

"Simple question for those who may be uniformed of how these games operate."

So, you are asking people who are uninformed about their opinion?

So poll. Such opinion. Much clue. Wow.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

"Simple question for those who may be uniformed of how these games operate."

So, you are asking people who are uninformed about their opinion?

So poll. Such opinion. Much clue. Wow.

Yeah you like that.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    No but instead I think it will go f2p in less than a year. Maybe even 6 months.
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I'm sure it will because this is one of the most controversial MMOs coming out. It will be a sub game but has paywall already. Gonna buy it and pay sub until the conversion though.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Originally posted by artemisentr4
    Originally posted by rodarin

Depends on the extended sub models they offer and how many people buy 6 Mo and 12 month ones; how much canned content they hold back; how fast people burn thourgh the content that is there and what they can add; how good or bad PvP is.

The biggest determining factor will be if they price the long term subs ridiculously low people will buy them, its shown that people gravitating to this game love a 'deal' even when it should be free. So if they offer 'founders' subs for somthing like 54.99 for 6 months and 99.99 for 12 months I suspect a lot of people will buy intot hose, especially the PC platform. That buys them some time obviously.

But if people who bought time upfront stop playing and the pops drop massively then they will have to look at the orignal plan and go F2P as fast as they can. Or at lest implement the cash shop.

It will be interesting to see how the "pops" will be looked at in a game with a Megaserver. You won't be able to log in and see the total pop because you may not be able to see the layers of the game. I guess we will be able to see how many campaigns (servers) there are after a few months for Cyrodiil PvP.

Yeah because with alts and people playing whatever campaign is doing the best, (having a toon in every allaince of some campaign somewhere and maybe) there might be a thousand campaigns at launch. I am not positive how many characters a person can create. I would suspect at least 4 if not 6 or 8, so they could have toons in that many campaigns. Do some micky mouse math and multiply by the amount of people at release and it shoots up quickly. I suspect 700-1 million PC players at launch. I hear people talk about 2K as a campaign cap, I have never seen them say officially, but if that is the case there will be thousands of campaigns needed if people have alts in individual campaigns and there are that many people playing.

These are things we really dont know but from what they have said they can be predicted.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I don't know.

I don't want to see the death knell of subscription games but I do think subscription prices should start to come down pr content provided increasing.  Bandwidth and servers are costing less and less.

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241
    I voted yes.  It seems like that's the new way to go with a lot of MMO's nowadays.  The game has to be really good to warrant a sub, and unfortunately this is not one of them.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Wicoa

I don't know.

I don't want to see the death knell of subscription games but I do think subscription prices should start to come down pr content provided increasing.  Bandwidth and servers are costing less and less.

Subs don't have to die. They just shouldn't be mandatory. They should provide something, other than just game access, that people want. Like you said, bandwidth and static costs are a much smaller chunk than they were 15 years ago or so. The development costs are paid for by the xpac / dlc fees, so that subscription cost should really mean something, as in a good return in value for the gamer. Currently I don't see it.

Mhm.

Also subs should start first with being 5 dollars that would get P2P somewhere [IMO], 15 a month is not worth it for 1 videogame/virtual world(for those who love to seperate the two).

That would also make it easier to try out more MMOs that are P2P [IMO]

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by Wicoa

I don't know.

Subs don't have to die. They just shouldn't be mandatory. They should provide something, other than just game access, that people want. Like you said, bandwidth and static costs are a much smaller chunk than they were 15 years ago or so. The development costs are paid for by the xpac / dlc fees, so that subscription cost should really mean something, as in a good return in value for the gamer. Currently I don't see it.

Agreed.

• evryman13evryman13 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I agree that subscription games should really honor their subs with regular updates, expansions, etc....For the most part I don't see that from sub games, but I want to....I don't mind paying a sub every month, but I want to see a return on the investment....I think if more companies viewed their MMO as an evolving, growing investment, instead of a cash cow they wouldn't go free to play nearly as often...Games that go f2p only feed this growing sense of entitlement that gamers have...Companies need to return some of that sub money to gamers in the form of content, but that doesn't really happen as much as it needs to...I hope ESO surprises people and maintains subs for a while. 

"Those who stay will be champions"

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

What you say is very true. Some payment systems that work for me with one type of service or product don't with another. For the games I play right now, in the current environment, I don't see a value in sub-locked games so I don't play them. I do sometimes subscribe to games (I'm subbed to Eldevin right now), but mostly I like sub-optional or sub-free gaming. I would prefer to just buy the game outright and not have to pay more (like the days of yore), but that's not a reality.

I'm not sure I would play WoW long term if they dropped the required sub. I do have some characters and enjoy the game, but there are so many other games now that I enjoy as much or more that the sub isn't quite the barrier to play. It's just a slight disincentive.

As for an ESO sub, since it is sub-locked I just don't see a point in starting up a game, playing for 3 months, and then dropping it because I know I won't play long term. I don't see the point in even getting my feet wet paying in a model that doesn't suit me.

I get that.

FFXIV i paid upfront 6 months, and it's not the game, it's one of the better mmo's to come out in a long time, it's more i'm "fantasied" out. So what sucks is i have two months left and i don't have it in me to play atm, but in 3 months i might but the sting of being locked out well? I doubt i'll sub back up.

All along since launch i've been jumping in and out of swtor, even more so when it when F2P, i found their F2P pretty good as i earned credits and unlocked my toon.

Recently for whatever reason i really got back into swtor and subbed back up, it's the first time in a extremely long time where i felt the sub was worth it, i'm really into the game so bring down all the hurdles and lets play. But i know that when the time comes and i'm not as into it or get too busy, i can cancel my sub, and i'm not locked out.

So if SWTOR wasn't F2P would i be subbed back up atm? F2P isn't such a bad thing, i'm only tired of the facade that is put on as to cash in on box sales, lifetime subs whatever when they know F2P is coming.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Can't make a call this early.

TES has a big following, if they have enough subs they won't likely go F2P. Have no idea how this one will play out, esp with console players involved in the mix.

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171
    It will but 6 months before that they` ll struggle and lie ppl about huge new things that are coming in upcoming patch and patch, and patch, and patch...... and BAM !!!! "We decided to give our fans new model of sub" :D
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

I personally would have liked to have seen a 3rd option of wait and see or something along those lines.

A lot of peeps probably have not even seen the game, and first hand experience is the main trigger. So I cannot answer yes or no until I have had that experience.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    I'd like to have a premium subscription option in a better quality MMO. I'd pay two or three times the currently monthly price if I was assured of better quality.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I'm guessing it will be b2p not f2p, and if it happens fast enough I might try the game, but if it takes too long I'll just end up spending my time and money in some other game

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• IDontThinkSoNoIDontThinkSoNo Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Basically you can't afford the game and hope it goes free to play as soon as possible.  Understood.
    Originally posted by Rusque

Can't make a call this early.

TES has a big following, if they have enough subs they won't likely go F2P. Have no idea how this one will play out, esp with console players involved in the mix.

Yes they have a huge following of single player gamers who are not used to the sub concept.

I think allot of the reasons SWTOR went f2p is a massive following of bioware single player fans don't want the pay monthly, specially when you aren't playing for a week or two then you feel "forced" (no pun intended) to play, yeah F2P is without question going to happen at some point.

Originally posted by IDontThinkSoNo
    Basically you can't afford the game and hope it goes free to play as soon as possible.  Understood.

Ahh man you got me, totally blew my cover.

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Of course it will, it is a very generic game.
  • CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by sevitoth

Yes. That's what all p2p MMOs do now. Get that initial box sale and subscription money, then go f2p in a year. Get used to it.

Get used to it? If you think this sort of business model is acceptable then, by all means, 'get used to it'. The only reason why this happens is because we, the consumers, allow them to do so.

This discussion has been closed.